Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MarcusSA posted:

Afaik its the same size and its 6.99 so roughly the same price.

The Costco ones are 4.99 I'm like 99% sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

The Costco ones are 4.99 I'm like 99% sure

Well $4.99 and self check out its better but without a self check out no way.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Taima posted:

I've given this a lot of thought recently: the church rotisserie chicken is, and I don't say this lightly, the best price/value/taste combination in the world and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

You can get nicer food and you can get cheaper food and you can get MORE food but never, ever all 3 of those in the same fantastic ratio of price/value/taste.

i got a rotisserie from a local, very nice grocery store for nine dollars. wow, more expensive than Costco, but I'm sure it's better and not brine injected, I thought.
WRONG! Costco has spoiled me. it was half as good and twice the price. I was so mad I got a rotisserie chicken I didn't need from Costco today to make myself feel better.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

I have a confession: I have never purchased the rotisserie chicken because they smell absolutely vile to me.

Just give it a taste.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
we have "self" check out at our costco but there is always an attendant at each one who does everything for you. its functionally the same as the regular checkout

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lazyhound posted:

I have a confession: I have never purchased the rotisserie chicken because they smell absolutely vile to me.

They are entirely too salty for my wife and I. I'm glad people enjoy them and I'll never rip on any of us for getting them, but waaaayyy too much salt.

King Solomon
Jan 20, 2021

Smart&Final rotisserie chickens are quite good. Local Kroger affiliate comes in at a close second.

My nearby Costco was always hit&miss for taking them off the rotisserie too early or something, leaving them undercooked. Otherwise, I would love to pay less and also have more chicken than the small grocery store ones.

Anyone try one from the newer Amazon Fresh grocery stores?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's weird they're supposed to temp each batch to make sure they're done. I've literally seen people fired for lying on the temp log

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They always have something new in the nut section that gets me:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

That's weird they're supposed to temp each batch to make sure they're done. I've literally seen people fired for lying on the temp log

Jfc. I can understand why some people would lie about it just to get a task done, but being fired?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That dude was already on his way out, but we do take sanitation and member safety very seriously at Costco. They pay a premium wage and they expect premium quality work. All the fresh dept's have a list for sanitation that needs to be done Daily, Weekly, and monthly and you better believe you ain't going home until that poo poo is done.

If there's any restaurant in the world that I trust to be clean it's Costco, and I've worked at a lot of food service joints

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you gently caress up chicken sanitation peeps can die

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

is it lying if they're actually just bad at temping meat? cause I've had people tell me the chickens are ready to go and then they temp it by sticking the probe just barely under skin instead of into the breast and I'm like ???

also some senior managers absolutely lose their poo poo if the hot case runs empty for any reason, which really just leads to workers pulling chickens that look good enough and hoping no one complains just so management leaves them alone. sucks

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

is it lying if they're actually just bad at temping meat? cause I've had people tell me the chickens are ready to go and then they temp it by sticking the probe just barely under skin instead of into the breast and I'm like ???

also some senior managers absolutely lose their poo poo if the hot case runs empty for any reason, which really just leads to workers pulling chickens that look good enough and hoping no one complains just so management leaves them alone. sucks
I feel for them but they aren't doing their job properly. Our foremost concern, before anything else is to make sure our members don't get injured, selling undercooked chicken is dangerous and immoral. and believe me I've went off on Assistants and sups trying to get product out.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

priznat posted:

Yeah same with our kids, what is it with them.

Sometimes gotta bust out the disposable chopsticks to bust it up. Parenthood rules.

What the gently caress?

King Solomon
Jan 20, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

Yeah this was what I kinda figured was going on. Got undercooked chickens way too often, so at some point I just stopped buying them from Costco. Maybe once every couple years or so to see if it got any better.

Glad to hear it might not be the norm elsewhere at least.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pershing posted:

They have a newer model of the Norelco I got last Christmas so I can't say directly. When I was shopping, however, the value of the Costco version was the extra stuff you get with it like replacement blades, an adjustable guard, etc.

I picked it up. So many pieces. Seems good quality. 6 hour run time on a full charge! Very heavy, though I understand that the weight is a sign of reliability.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

King Solomon posted:

Yeah this was what I kinda figured was going on. Got undercooked chickens way too often, so at some point I just stopped buying them from Costco. Maybe once every couple years or so to see if it got any better.

Glad to hear it might not be the norm elsewhere at least.

You know when chicken doesn't chew and tear properly, and has a 'squidge' texture to it? I got that on my last rotisserie chicken, it's due to chicken being undercooked. This conversation explains why!

edit: we also opened the strawberry mochis and they taste great. Maybe the mango ones were a bad batch.

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 21, 2021

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I actually always pick the most burnt lookin chickens. I love me some crispy skin!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
What’s up with the Mountain View/Sunnyvale self checker assistance thinking I can’t do it?

At my Costco, what it all comes down to
Is that I have got it all figured out just fine
Since I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is holding my Costco card.

I'll do the thing for some bean counter to keep employing my Costco fellow workers, but I’d like to be more chill.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The North Tower posted:

What’s up with the Mountain View/Sunnyvale self checker assistance thinking I can’t do it?

I'll do the thing for some bean counter to keep employing my Costco fellow workers, but I’d like to be more chill.

Am I too drunk or does this make no sense

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
middle paragraph is a pair of couplets i think

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I was listening to Alanis Morissette while thinking about how aggressive the self-check employees are at my local branches. I came in to have a 0-interaction experience since Costco has been great since lockdown and now they want to scan my stuff and teach me how to do self-checkout at the self-checkout station. I want them to spend their time on others since I can have a perfect self-checkout process without them, but also want them to keep their jobs, so I don’t say a drat thing.

My problem is with whoever made these perfectly good employees have to interject in the experience. I know that they’re just doing their jobs and a little bit faster since I line my barcodes up like a cool person.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 21, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's Ironic

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Virigoth posted:

What the gently caress?

Having kids exposes you to poop adventures you never thought possible.

After a while you get used to it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fischtick posted:

99.99% customer mask usage (one dicknose).

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I really doubt there's an epidemic of undercooked chicken at Costco, you guys are probably just used to dry overcooked chicken.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Barry posted:

I really doubt there's an epidemic of undercooked chicken at Costco, you guys are probably just used to dry overcooked chicken.

Grocery store rotisserie chicken almost always has bone-dry breast meat, but Costco manages to do it right.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Is Costco doing samples again yet? When I was younger and lived literally next door to the world's largest costco my saturday breakfast was always costco samples and I miss them dearly :(

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
yeah, normally going to defend the worker in just about everything, but put me firmly in the "fire the person selling me poison chicken" camp.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Lazyhound posted:

I tear off the leg thigh combo and eat that. Then I may have some chicken breast later, or I might cut it off the breast into slices and put it in some ramen with carrots, celery, and onion. Chicken soup with no fuss. All the salt.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Barry posted:

Very much this.

And the chicken moves fast enough that I'm never worried about grabbing a chicken that's been under the heating lamp for 8 hours.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

low key sex master posted:

Is Costco doing samples again yet? When I was younger and lived literally next door to the world's largest costco my saturday breakfast was always costco samples and I miss them dearly :(

Yes and I hate it. It really sucks to try and shop, especially in the snack section, because the aisles are already only 4' wide or so and I get sick of navigating around wide-eyed "oh fruit by the foot I wonder what this exotic delicacy tastes like" crowds. The best thing about the pandemic was the removal of the sample stations.

Call me a heretic, but I'd trade onion dispenser for removal of all sample stations in a goddamned heartbeat.

Now they just hand out sealed, pre-packaged things as I deliberate whether it is worth diving into Night of the Living Dead for a box of granola bars.

Edit: sorry, sex master, for being a grump and destroying your memories.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 21, 2021

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

The North Tower posted:

This is just too perfect. I'm at church right now, and One Hand in My Pocket is playing on one of the demo outdoor speakers they have set out.

Edit: in less than perfect news, the only chocolate cake with chocolate mousse they have today are decorated with happy birthday. Not exactly what I was looking for for celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary tonight.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 21, 2021

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I like my chicken overcooked so I reheat my Costco chickens until they're crispy outside and cotton-dry in the middle. The salt gets reduced into the meat so much it's almost like jerky. Judging by this thread there's more shoe leather enthusiasts like me.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like to overcook the ready meals with chicken in them like the alfredo. its way better when it gets crispy and dried a bit. the rest of the dish balances it out nicely

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Dark meat cooked to 165 can be off-putting for some people. It's a color and texture thing. It firms up a little when you blast it to like 190, but if you did that on a whole bird you'd have shoe leather white meat.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The North Tower posted:

They do this at my Costco as well. There's no scanning gun at the self checkout, so I have to wait for someone to come scan the heavy stuff like cat litter and water softener salt. I asked the employee why they did it that way, and they said Costco wants that employee interaction at the self checkout.

Personally I think it's so they have a chance to sell Executive Memberships to people as they check out. It doesn't make self checkout any faster that's for sure.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

skipdogg posted:

The self checkout at Costco not having scanner guns is really ridiculous, so much so I asked the person why, because it's a very inefficient waste of time. They said it was intentional, they want an employee interaction at self checkout for some reason. Probably to push Executive Memberships. Usually the employee will come over and scan the barcode on the top of the self checkout register, and then use their scanner to scan all the large items in the cart like cat litter and water softener salt and stuff.

I still don't understand it though, they check the receipt at the door on the way out. Unloading my cart at self checkout and then loading again is a huge waste of time.

I know it's Blasphemy, but Sam's Club is way closer to our house, and we use their mobile checkout and it's freaking awesome. We only make it to the 'Co once a month or so now for things we can't get at Sams. Costco should definitely setup mobile checkout in their app.

Did that post feel familiar to you too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

StormDrain posted:

Did that post feel familiar to you too?

Yep sure did.

A Costco employee on Reddit seems to think it's more of a shrink control measure having someone there. Supposedly shrink went way up when self checkout lanes were installed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comments/mdtj3b/costco_self_checkout/gsdmj52?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3