Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
One of the new Harry Potter sets has a sticker placed on the inside face of a half cone. This article calls it the worst sticker ever...
https://www.brickfanatics.com/this-new-lego-harry-potter-set-contains-the-worst-sticker-of-all-time/

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego needs to cut it out with that poo poo.

First time I saw stickers on the inside of a curve was the microscale hogwarts, then it shows up on the space shuttle. It's horrible but sorta feasible on an adult oriented set. But a kids one? Eat poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Both droid escape pod sets have much bigger versions of the same thing and it didn’t bug me.

Unpopular opinion people are way too dramatic about stickers

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Every piece should be printed imo :colbert:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Bought 12 Looney Tunes CMFs from Target's website and got a complete set. I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Cloks posted:

Bought 12 Looney Tunes CMFs from Target's website and got a complete set. I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.

Someone do the math and tell us the odds.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Every piece should be printed imo :colbert:

:hai:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Ironically if you'd won the lottery first and spent your winnings on random blind bags you probably wouldn't have a complete set.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

Both droid escape pod sets have much bigger versions of the same thing and it didn’t bug me.

Unpopular opinion people are way too dramatic about stickers

Seriously, Discovery wasn’t the nightmare it was made out to be

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The dude who did that AMA a couple days back addressed the sticker/printed part thing.

Mark Stafford posted:

A lot of people wish we printed every part we sticker, but consider this in terms of 'boxes'
A sticker sheet is one box, but each printed part is the box without the print, and another box after it is printed. It could take dozens of boxes to replace a single sticker sheet box.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/nej936/im_mark_stafford_senior_lego_designer_the_daily/gyhakxv/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Instead I like to imagine some hero working in the fulfillment center that sees the order pop up and spent 45 minutes pinching bags.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

obi_ant posted:

It would probably depend on where they're getting them from. If they've got a box in front of them and they're just pulling them out of the box, it probs changes the odds because each time you get one, there's fewer of that one left. But if they're just pulling them from a theoretical infinite void and each time there's an equal chance of each one, it'd be:

(11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2) / (12^11)

I think.

EDIT: apparently the boxes have exactly 3 of each figure, so if they randomly pick out of a box, the odds should be, I think:

(33*30*27*24*21*18*15*12*9*6*3) / (35*34*33*32*31*30*29*28*27*26*25)

But I'm not 100% on that, someone may have a better formula.

EDIT: which comes out to like 0.042% of a chance

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 23, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I picked up the bonsai and after 3 minutes of looking for the tape, I am not happy they are doing punch tab boxes for $50 sets now as a box saving nerd. Don't make me mangle this beautiful box lego wtf.

Are they doing that with a bunch of sets now? That really sucks. These boxes are supposed to be reserved for 40 part sets with a minifgure on a jetski.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Chairchucker posted:

The dude who did that AMA a couple days back addressed the sticker/printed part thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/nej936/im_mark_stafford_senior_lego_designer_the_daily/gyhakxv/

So when he says "boxes" is he referring to bins that would hold the parts? If so it's a bit of a shite argument because you'll still need the bins for the unprinted parts. You're not condensing 30 "boxes" into one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chairchucker posted:

It would probably depend on where they're getting them from. If they've got a box in front of them and they're just pulling them out of the box, it probs changes the odds because each time you get one, there's fewer of that one left. But if they're just pulling them from a theoretical infinite void and each time there's an equal chance of each one, it'd be:

(11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2) / (12^11)

I think.

EDIT: apparently the boxes have exactly 3 of each figure, so if they randomly pick out of a box, the odds should be, I think:

(33*30*27*24*21*18*15*12*9*6*3) / (35*34*33*32*31*30*29*28*27*26*25)

But I'm not 100% on that, someone may have a better formula.

EDIT: which comes out to like 0.042% of a chance

I don't know the exact logistics of the box, but if there are 3 of each figure as you say, then there would be 36 figures in the box. I think the probability would be (12 * 3C1) / 36C12, which would be 1 in 34.7 million.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know the exact logistics of the box, but if there are 3 of each figure as you say, then there would be 36 figures in the box. I think the probability would be (12 * 3C1) / 36C12, which would be 1 in 34.7 million.

My maths is roughly as follows.

After the first minifig is picked, there are 35 figures left in the box. There is a 33/35 chance of picking a minifig different to the one already picked. Then, a 30/34 chance for the next one, and so on.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

So when he says "boxes" is he referring to bins that would hold the parts? If so it's a bit of a shite argument because you'll still need the bins for the unprinted parts. You're not condensing 30 "boxes" into one.

Mark Stafford posted:

Every brick made, in each colour has to go into it's own box. This box needs to be stored until it's ready to be packed into the bags in the retail boxes you buy.

So there are thousands of boxes. Each year some bricks stop being made and this leaves empty boxes we can fill with new bricks (or new colours of bricks at least). So each team of Designers is given a number of boxes it has the chance to fill.

So let's say you want some new minifigure legs. First you mold the hips, and fill a box, then a left leg - fill a box, a right leg - fill a box. Then you stick all those parts together and fill another box in the factory. Then if we print the legs it's yet another box.

But consider, if we don't print the legs then, after four non-printed legs we have saved four boxes and this means we could make a whole extra set of legs. This might mean we have a whole new character we can make.

Or alternatively the set designer can change the colour of a brick to fill that single saved 'box' in the factory, or print an element.

A lot of people wish we printed every part we sticker, but consider this in terms of 'boxes' A sticker sheet is one box, but each printed part is the box without the print, and another box after it is printed. It could take dozens of boxes to replace a single sticker sheet box.

Of course this is hugely simplified, there is also a limit to how many molding machines there are and how much time we can use to change the molds in these machines and a million other tiny issues which I'm glad I don't have to deal with, that limit the number of 'boxes' available.

He's saying that every team has an allotment of elements, and each printed piece essentially counts as two elements. If a set has 20 stickers, that's potentially 40 elements eating up their allotted space. But, a sheet of stickers is only 1 element. So stickers can be thought of as 'we ran out of element allotments'. Sometimes it might just be technology--they can't print on some concave or curved surfaces, or can't deliver the sort of printing a sticker can (like mirror finishes or color matching).
There's probably all sorts of dealings going on with other teams to maximize everyone's allotments across multiple sets and lines, so maybe one team compromises and gives Monkie Kid some sticker sets so the Daily Bugle can get two more minifigs with printed legs.

segoli
Oct 23, 2010

But of course, from a thief's perspective, the best kind of ladder is the rope-ladder. A step-ladder is much too heavy to carry around, after all.
the assortment of minifigures throughout a box varies depending on which series it is (there might be a couple figures that are slightly rarer or more common), so some of them are easier or harder to get a complete set from, though with the Looney Tunes box, it's pretty straightforward—there are 3 of each exactly in every box.

also, each box has a fairly consistent mapping; the same figures will be in the same spots every time. occasionally, boxes shifting in transit will change this, but (for example), pulling 12 bags in a row out will result in a lot of duplicates. it's certainly possible that Target sorts boxes as soon as they're opened to try to avoid duplicates, though I personally doubt anyone would be putting in that effort.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe someone in the Target warehouse did them a solid and just felt for the entire set

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pyroclastic posted:

He's saying that every team has an allotment of elements, and each printed piece essentially counts as two elements. If a set has 20 stickers, that's potentially 40 elements eating up their allotted space. But, a sheet of stickers is only 1 element. So stickers can be thought of as 'we ran out of element allotments'. Sometimes it might just be technology--they can't print on some concave or curved surfaces, or can't deliver the sort of printing a sticker can (like mirror finishes or color matching).
There's probably all sorts of dealings going on with other teams to maximize everyone's allotments across multiple sets and lines, so maybe one team compromises and gives Monkie Kid some sticker sets so the Daily Bugle can get two more minifigs with printed legs.

drat Videyo stealing all my print boxes :argh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was looking at the Bugle and how it doesn't have the full sinister six. So I looked them up on BL. Man, Kraven is $$ in the US. But overseas is reasonable. Weird. And there is no real Electro fig. Just a duplo version. And the really lame Jamie Foxx one who isn't really electro.

Odd that they didn't put these guys in but they did put some other bits of weirdness. Doesn't really make sense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That bonsai was the most alarmingly fast build I've done. Granted of it's 900 parts, 200 are just 1.x1 rounds you dump into the planter, and I didn't build the blossoming variant yet. But the main build went together in about an hour. Great little decoration though. I love it.

The printing on Dark brown is so drat bad though. Good lord. I have 20/20 vision and I found myself having to practically press the instructions to my face at times to see wtf was going on. I gave one to my mom as a late mothers day present today, and now I'm worried that she won't be able to tell what is going on because every dark brown assembly just looks like a blob.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waltzing Along posted:

I was looking at the Bugle and how it doesn't have the full sinister six. So I looked them up on BL. Man, Kraven is $$ in the US. But overseas is reasonable. Weird. And there is no real Electro fig. Just a duplo version. And the really lame Jamie Foxx one who isn't really electro.

Odd that they didn't put these guys in but they did put some other bits of weirdness. Doesn't really make sense.

From the designer’s AMA:

quote:

Were there any minifigures you wanted included that didn’t make the cut?

Several. I had made a list around 60 long when I started!

I wanted the original Sinister Six, but we just couldn’t make it happen, we ran out of new figures we could make. In fact because it was so minifigure heavy a lot of figures from this set were pushed out into the standard retail line (they ended up coming out first).

TO give you a few names I wanted: Deadpool, The Human Torch, Iceman, Spider Woman – all Spiderman’s buddy’s. But Marvel also have to agree and some of the decisions to include or not include figures were up to them and like I said others we just didn’t have the capacity to include.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw that. I still think some of the minifig choices are questionable.

Blade?
Ghost spider?
Firestar?
Robbie Roberson?
Ben Urich?
Betty Brant?

But no Mary Jane, Electro, Kraven or Vulture.

I know they've been in sets before but still.

The thing has Spider-Ham.

I'm really curious what the reason for choosing those 6 over the other 4 was. I can't see any of those 6 being more intrinsic to a large scale spider man set. There are others in the set that should have taken a back seat but at least the arguments for them make sense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm really curious what the reason for choosing those 6 over the other 4 was. I can't see any of those 6 being more intrinsic to a large scale spider man set. There are others in the set that should have taken a back seat but at least the arguments for them make sense.

Mary Jane was veto'd by Marvel because of MCU synergy.

Robbie, Betty Brandt and Ben Urich make perfect sense for a Daily Bugle set. Firestar is there as a cartoon reference (which is why Iceman was requested).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 23, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ghost Spider and Spider-Ham are in because of Spiderverse and those characters currently being super popular I'd imagine. Blade was in the 90s animated series a whole lot for someone who isn't really closely involved with Spidey in the comics so I assume he's in because of that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d also guess that some of the more obscure characters are in that Bugle set over people like MJ or Vulture because the latter are far more likely to eventually be made (or have already been made) for smaller regular Spider-Man sets. The big expensive licensed sets almost always have a handful of relatively obscure characters.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
As someone who absolutely isn't the target demographic, Blade being in the set is pretty cool to me :shrug:

Never would have imagined there'd be an official Blade figure.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

As someone who absolutely isn't the target demographic, Blade being in the set is pretty cool to me :shrug:

Never would have imagined there'd be an official Blade figure.

I imagine we'll define get one when the Blade MCU movie comes out

Hmm... does LEGO ever make sets is of R Rated movies? If not, something like this really might be the only chance for him or Deadpool

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Bloop posted:

I imagine we'll define get one when the Blade MCU movie comes out

Hmm... does LEGO ever make sets is of R Rated movies? If not, something like this really might be the only chance for him or Deadpool

They've already done deadpool, well before the movies. I've got one somewhere, I think they might be worth a bit?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Lizard Combatant posted:

They've already done deadpool, well before the movies. I've got one somewhere, I think they might be worth a bit?

I had one for a while too, it is about a $20 minifig depending on condition. He came in an older set with Wolverine and Magneto. https://brickset.com/sets/6866-1/Wolverine-s-Chopper-Showdown

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
gently caress that Botanical Garden MOC I got from yourwobb. It's janky as hell and everything inside falls apart as you build it. Back when I got it, it cost so much less than legit Lego that I didn't even realize I got the version that came with an LED set for it, but gently caress going back and touching this thing trying to get lights all inside of it, I can use those lights in proper Lego modulars that don't crumble to pieces due to poor design coupled with lack of friction on bootleg parts. Not to mention like 7 pieces were missing from it that fortunately I had replacements for. That being said though, it is kinda pretty.

Now that it's out of the way we can begin the year-long process of building every modular djfooboo just sold us. Which will very shortly be bottlenecked by me having to come up with some way to extend the area we have our modulars displayed on.

I also just placed my first international bricklink order to try to 100% that microscale Hogwarts I got off craigslist. The shipping was a lot but the parts were way cheaper from some large seller in Hungary, brickmania.hu. Had mostly positive feedback so I assume it's legit and they're all authentic Lego parts. Just seemed odd that the one missing minifig was like $48 from some American sellers and under $20 from Hungary.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Yeah that's what I was saying. It just read like he was saying a sheet of 10 stickers was condensing 20 pieces down into 1, rather than 11. Their argument against printing more bricks is essentially "we wouldn't be able to make these other bricks we want to make" which is common sense given a finite amount of space and resources. It just seems like their choices are questionable but I'm not a marketing wiz.

tuo posted:

drat Videyo stealing all my print boxes :argh:

Basically this, lol.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

You were not kidding about that price! I'm so glad I picked one up when it was like $5 a fig.

Deadpool from the Wolverine Chopper set isn't too expensive. I've got two of those. One for my display case and one for my desk. I keep my absolute favorite figs in a 8 character display case on my desk.

The crazy thing is how much the SDCC Deadpool is going for: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lego+deadpool+sdcc&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

I've got both Cowboy Deadpool and Deadpool Duck. They just sit in a display case right by my bed accruing value I guess. I have warned my partner if I ever die to not give away my Lego but to spend the time selling it on eBay.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Earth posted:

I've got both Cowboy Deadpool and Deadpool Duck. They just sit in a display case right by my bed accruing value I guess. I have warned my partner if I ever die to not give away my Lego but to spend the time selling it on eBay.

Strange that I'm both starting to get old enough and have enough Lego of value that I've been thinking I have to write up special instructions in my will.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

tomapot posted:

Strange that I'm both starting to get old enough and have enough Lego of value that I've been thinking I have to write up special instructions in my will.

If you live in Texas and will let me negotiate dibs on some of the stuff I’ll do your estate planning

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can't believe this hairpiece doesn't exist in light grey. :mad:

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

tomapot posted:

This is not intended as a flex, more of an example of the craziness that is Lego. My Lego collection can get a fairly nice used car. It's not that I've spent a ton on it, it's just the sets I have have increased in value so much over the time of me owning them. One example is I bought the Black Pearl for $150 and now it's selling for near $400 opened and built. Or another example would be I bought the the modular Town Hall for $200 and now it's selling for $1k because I haven't gotten around to building it and it's still sealed. Figs I've bought for $5 are going for $50 now... It was so much value I spoke with my insurance to ask them about collections and if I needed special insurance for it and they said no that it was covered under the basic insurance plan.

I have been collecting for at least two decades now, so like I said, not intended as a flex. If you'd have been regularly buying for that long your collection is probably in a similar shape and you should speak with your insurance too.

Earth fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 23, 2021

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Earth posted:

This is not intended as a flex, more of an example of the craziness that is Lego. My Lego collection can get a fairly nice used car. It's not that I've spent a ton on it, it's just the sets I have have increased in value so much over the time of me owning them. One example is I bought the Black Pearl for $150 and now it's selling for near $400 opened and built. Or another example would be I bought the the modular Town Hall for $200 and now it's selling for $1k because I haven't gotten around to building it and it's still sealed. Figs I've bought for $5 are going for $50 now... It was so much value I spoke with my insurance to ask them about collections and if I needed special insurance for it and they said no that it was covered under the basic insurance plan.

I have been collecting for at least two decades now, so like I said, not intended as a flex. If you'd have been regularly buying for that long your collection is probably in a similar shape and you should speak with your insurance too.

As an insurance agent, I would suggest you read your policy carefully. Yes, your Lego is probably covered, and doesn't have the same standard limits as say a coin collection. But it probably only falls under your general Personal Property limit unless you have purchased a scheduled rider. If your house burns down, make sure that limit is high enough to replace *everything* you own, from clothes to furniture to kitchen utensils to the "toys" in your collection. Or, get a rider/floater/whatever it's called in your local lingo for the specific appraised value of the collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Finished building the Space Shuttle and that was just a thoroughly entertaining build. Never felt too repetitive and lots of clever techniques. Love the “play features” of the landing gear and the flaps.

Now I have to figure out where to display it. That is a big boy.