Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is this just what walking a greyhound in the summer is like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

katie is extremely pretty :swoon:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

Is this just what walking a greyhound in the summer is like?

Yes. Bonus points for refusing to move for 30 minutes while neighbourhood kids laugh at you.

In fashion news, Boudicca got some PJ's for her gotcha day.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

katie is extremely pretty :swoon:

Everyone points out her black tail which I guess is weird for a fawn. She was listed as Red Fawn (she’s reddish in direct sunlight) so maybe it’s normal for that coat color.

Radiation Cow posted:

Yes. Bonus points for refusing to move for 30 minutes while neighbourhood kids laugh at you.

Ugh. Neither one of us is a morning creature so it will be hard to avoid the really horrible heat later in the summer.

Snazzy PJs Boudicca!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

how do you get that poo poo on

david_a posted:

Everyone points out her black tail which I guess is weird for a fawn. She was listed as Red Fawn (she’s reddish in direct sunlight) so maybe it’s normal for that coat color.

Abby is a red fawn and has a black brindle tail with a bit of white at the end. Who was the sire for Katie? They might be related.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sparty is Red Fawn and has lots of black guard hairs, though nowhere near as densely as that. Also most of his black hairs turned grey within a few months of getting him.

Looks like Katie runs hot like sparty does

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tess's tail was black along the top half, with white at the end.

Mac's tail is lighter, except it's black at the very end.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

\

Very swish! :D I hope she actually likes/tolerates them being put on her, haha - since for instance, Opal hasn't gotten used to the coat I bought her the other week.
(She hates being cold though...so she hates being cold, then hates me putting her coat on...then after that she's magically warm and therefore happy again??)

Also, FYI we need more sitting hounds ITT. TIA
Here's my tribute:

(I'm still surprised when Tazo sits. Opal taught him well! :3:)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Very swish! :D I hope she actually likes/tolerates them being put on her, haha - since for instance, Opal hasn't gotten used to the coat I bought her the other week.
(She hates being cold though...so she hates being cold, then hates me putting her coat on...then after that she's magically warm and therefore happy again??)

Also, FYI we need more sitting hounds ITT. TIA
Here's my tribute:

(I'm still surprised when Tazo sits. Opal taught him well! :3:)

It's a surprisingly robust design, and very easy to get her in and out of it. She's perfectly happy with it on, which makes our lives much easier. I never knew how much time I spent chasing dogs with blankets!

Opal and Taz are such good dogs! Boudicca sits when she's extorting treats, but I've never managed to catch it on camera. Gello just refused outright.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

snoot

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie sits on her own, but I haven’t tried teaching her on command

From the early days when we were working on stairs. Because of the angle you can tell her butt doesn’t actually touch the floor:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Please share your affectionate hound nicknames

Names we call Jody:
Jordy
Jordache jeans
Jodesia
Jodis
Jodes
Jody moo cow
The second smartest dog in the house

Barley’s nicknames:
Bar bar
Barlita
Snarls barkley
Snarls Barkley: shut up and jam (some food in my face)
Fatass
Stink face
Stretchy girl
REAL DOG
The second cutest dog in the house

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

My partner does this all the time:

Goober
Goobernaculum
Gooberbutt
Fatbutt
Baby boy
My baby
The beast

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 5, 2022

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Dingus
Dingo
Dog
Poopsie
Poopsie Doddle
Sad Dog
The Incredible Sulk

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Spartacus :
Sparty
Bub
Bubby
Bubbles
Mr. Bubbles (sung to the tune of Mr. Bucket)
Snugglebub
Tail Spin
HEESAGOODBOI
Dipshit

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Rory has evolved into:

Roo
The Roo
The Roose
The Spruce Roose
Rooster
A-Rooz con Pollo
Dog
Dog the Dog
Doggirl
Puppypants
Snoot
Snootz
Nose
Nose With A dog Attached

and so on

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Looks like I'm considerably more boring, than the rest of you! :D I suppose the fact that they have one- and two-syllable names restricts things somewhat.

Taz:
Tazo
Tazzie
Tazerooni
Tazosaurus Rex
Old boy/pup

Opal:
Opalo
Opes
Opal the Ox (when she's being stubborn...which is always)
Opalopoulos

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I totally forgot these two for Jody:
JoJo
JoJo Rabbit Eater

Still loling at nose with dog attached :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Gello:

Nerd
Gels
Sweetie Pie
Murderdog
Silly Billy
Shithead (when we walk in the forest and she chases a dog)

Boudicca:
Bouds
Superstar/Boudiccar!
Nerd
Ouma (Afrikaans for granny)
Boude (Afrikaans for butt)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Most of my names for Katie are in Swedish (the Old Country)

Katedog is I think the only English variant I use

Nalle-Maja (cartoon bear kid; sporty and stubborn)
Tramsehund (silly dog basically)
Vovs (shortening of vovve which is kidspeak for doggy)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I'm watching Charlie Wilson's War, and what do I see?

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

If your hound lays down and won't move while on a walk, lay down perpendicular to them and rest your head on them. Eventually they'll get annoyed and get up, quicker than if you pull on them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

abigail
abbers
abigail j greyhound (if she's causing trouble)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Radiation Cow posted:

Boudicca:
Bouds
Superstar/Boudiccar!
Nerd
Ouma (Afrikaans for granny)
Boude (Afrikaans for butt)

I am shocked you don’t call her booty, booty-see-ya, or bootydog

Josie is:
Josie Moo
Josie Jo
Do-si-do
Josie Rosers
Miss Rosers
Josie Nosey
Goodmorning Girl
My girlygirl
Prancey Dancer
Josie Jo Jo Jabadoo
JoJo Potato
Longdog
Dogface
Dogbutt
Dogfacebutt
Longlegs McGee
DOG
Strawburglar
Lump
Miss Bigbottom
Stinko

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

I am shocked you don’t call her booty, booty-see-ya, or bootydog

I'm shocked too! May steal some of those to put into rotation.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BigDave posted:

I'm watching Charlie Wilson's War, and what do I see?

Imagine being a greyhound wrangler for a movie

Director: OK for this scene we need them to lay in the background. We’re gonna do a poo poo ton of shots because I’m a jerk so you need to make sure they don’t move
You: :smuggo:
Director: We also need a different scene where they run in the background
You: That… will be a problem
Director: Why?
You: They already ran today

number 1 snake fan posted:

If your hound lays down and won't move while on a walk, lay down perpendicular to them and rest your head on them. Eventually they'll get annoyed and get up, quicker than if you pull on them.

lol
Yeah I’m pretty sure Katie would react real quick if I tried that

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

david_a posted:

Imagine being a greyhound wrangler for a movie

Director: OK for this scene we need them to lay in the background. We’re gonna do a poo poo ton of shots because I’m a jerk so you need to make sure they don’t move
You: :smuggo:
Director: We also need a different scene where they run in the background
You: That… will be a problem
Director: Why?
You: They already ran today

This is why you own 10 identical black greyhounds.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m going through another rite of passage as a new greyhound owner - dealing with Katie’s first case of diarrhea.

She really freaked me out this morning when it turned into just blood & water, but after calling the vet and talking to a tech I’ve calmed down a bit (most likely she’s just straining). Fast today, only non-fat yoghurt tomorrow, and keep a close eye on her for symptoms that it’s something more serious.

Undoubtedly it’s her fondness for eating garbage on the ground that caught up to her. I’m going to try being even more strict about avoiding known trouble spots (much to her annoyance I’m sure) but if that doesn’t work, a muzzle & guard on walks is in her future.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We had to get a muzzle + guard for ours when he got a rash and stitches that he wouldn't stop licking. Couldn't find a cone that worked. So having one on hand couldn't hurt. Plus they're pretty cheap.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson is on muzzle patrol until the cicada storm ceases. He can't help himself, tries to pounce on or eat any that move (there are trillions).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ugh this is terrible. I keep stressing myself with reading all symptom guides about dog stomach ailments and Katie seems borderline. I called the vet earlier again; they’re supposed to call me back.

It’s very, very possible I’m overreacting and she’ll be fine in a few days but it’s horrible not being sure if it’s something more serious. Yesterday she was normal except for her bowels, today she’s definitely not.

Pictured: an unwell dog

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is she drinking water happily?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sorry to hear, hang in there Katie!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

Is she drinking water happily?

Nothing about her is “happy” today but yeah, she drank some water this morning and I think over lunch too but now I’m not certain. She’s pretty lethargic today and has zero appetite (I tested with a tiny bit of yoghurt on a spoon).

On the other hand, yeah I probably wouldn’t want to eat anything either if my stomach was this upset, and I would also be tired from that plus not eating much over the last two days. She hasn’t had any bowel movements in like 6 hours so it’s not like she’s leaking horribly. She walked some this morning before it got hot, so her refusal to walk at lunch could just be weather related.

I got some pedialyte but didn’t realize it’s only good for two days; haven’t cracked it open yet.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The blood in the stool sounds like hemorrhagic gastroenteritis- it can be serious but usually clears on its own. Sparty got it once and it was really scary, but we gave him pumpkin and some probiotics and that helped

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

bamhand posted:

We had to get a muzzle + guard for ours when he got a rash and stitches that he wouldn't stop licking. Couldn't find a cone that worked. So having one on hand couldn't hurt. Plus they're pretty cheap.

I didn’t know guards were a thing! We’ve had this awkward cone on our girl for the last week and bit as she won’t stop licking her cut from the attack. She’s pretty used to it now but the muzzle would be so much more comfortable for her.

Can you buy the guard on it’s own? We already have a plastic muzzle.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
This is what we got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JDVL4HD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think Amazon has a few choices but not a ton. It fits right inside the muzzle we have, doesn't need to be strapped or anything.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkHorse posted:

The blood in the stool sounds like hemorrhagic gastroenteritis- it can be serious but usually clears on its own. Sparty got it once and it was really scary, but we gave him pumpkin and some probiotics and that helped

The vet got back to me and she’s gonna start some antibiotics and a diarrhea medication tomorrow.

She sort of came to life a little when I came down to make dinner. She went over and drank some water and settled down on the bed downstairs. Unfortunately the next time I checked on her she was upstairs again and she had thrown up the water. Hopefully she just drank too much; I may have to limit it too.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
You can try white rice with boiled ground beef if her stomach is still upset. That's my go to for Gannon when he goes off his food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If she refuses food and doesn’t drink much water, that’s exactly how Bonnie was when she had gastro like DarkHorse said. Very alarming but also treatable, Bonnie got taken in for a few hours to get fluids on a drip, and some medication to help fight it, and was perfectly fine in a couple of days