Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

It's people with a birthmark/whatever the hell it was shaped like a six-spoked ship's wheel on the back of their heads, isn't it? Or have I inadvertently switched realities again? Berenspoon Bears, right?

I never forget things; it's reality that's wrong. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Chasm City was really good cyberpunk noir, the main line three novels ranged from OK to very bad (the third one). Nothing was published after the final novel of the trilogy, at least nothing worth a mention. Of course, the shorts are his best work, I agree with you.
I should probably reread House of Suns to see if it holds up, at the time I thought it was one of the better works dealing with de facto immortality.

Nah don't re-read House of Suns if you really enjoyed it. It doesn't hold up on re-reads that well, though you might enjoy reading the short story Reynolds expanded out into House of Suns though. The same main two characters occur in it, only it's more of a murder mystery set at a Gentian Line reunion vs epic galactic space travel story.

1996 conventions continued to happen and be discussed in the SFL Archives 1996. Nothing as try-hard like MOC 10a though, mostly adorable stuff like trying out the first commercially available digital cameras (with .5 or 1 MP resolution) and being amazed at being able to see what you shot instantly (and burning through batteries since early digital cameras were intensely energy hungry) or smuggling in a computer and a Laser Printer to create alternate non-official convention newsletters that gave the unsanitized truth + gossip.

That skeevy 1996 MOC 10A convention got brought up again when ROC 1996 happened. The person (Roland Castle) who ran the MOC conventions attended ROC 1996 to throw multiple attention-gathering hissy fits in between promising intense sexual assault on haters.

Plus while looking up MOC and trying to figure out what all the fuss in it was about, fancyclopedia informed me that one of the DragonCon founders is a literal convicted sex offender. https://fancyclopedia.org/Ed_Kramer

Then further dives into fancyclopedia showed lots of extreme WTF behavior by SFF fandom from the very beginning of SFF fandom. Forrest Ackerman running under multiple fandom identities to hide all the sexual harassment he was doing. The lady (Morojo) who kicked off Cosplay as a thing and another early female SFF fan called Tigrina being intensely harassed/stalked. Isaac Asimov's & Harlan Ellison's & Jerry Pournelle's terrible behavior at SFF conventions getting free "do-not-mention" passes makes more sense in context now.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 24, 2021

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

Plus while looking up MOC and trying to figure out what all the fuss in it was about, fancyclopedia informed me that one of the DragonCon founders is a literal convicted sex offender. https://fancyclopedia.org/Ed_Kramer

Yeah I was wondering about that after the previous post, but it looks like accusations didn't start being public until a few years after his mention.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

General Battuta posted:

Redemption Ark is one of his best books, also the title is a pun so obvious and terrible I didn't spot it for like ten years.
oh my god

no

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I don't know whether I'm delighted or upset.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

hahahahaha

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Redemption Ark is one of his best books, also the title is a pun so obvious and terrible I didn't spot it for like ten years.

Oh poo poo!

Looking at the publication date, guess I'm 19 years.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Oh poo poo!

Looking at the publication date, guess I'm 19 years.

jesus christ it took me way too long even after GB mentioned it was a pun

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Small Gods (Discworld #13) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QTEA3I/

Dragonfly Falling (Shadows of the Apt #2) by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GK223Y/

Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade and Silvereye #1) by Django Wexler - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ25BCX/

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Gats Akimbo posted:

It's people with a birthmark/whatever the hell it was shaped like a six-spoked ship's wheel on the back of their heads, isn't it? Or have I inadvertently switched realities again? Berenspoon Bears, right?

I never forget things; it's reality that's wrong. :colbert:

I dont remember that, but I wasn't that engaged with Terminal World and might have missed it.

Reynolds is fond of that sort of thing though - in one of his short stories, he has a civilization who's symbol is a tiger fighting over the resources of a system with another group who uses the symbol of a scallop shell. The implication is that they derived from ExxonMobile and Shell.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finally finished the new season of Love, Death, and Robots and I gotta say, it's fairly decent. No standout episodes, but I did enjoy pretty much all of them except the drowned giant one. That one just seemed kinda pointless.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

pradmer posted:

Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade and Silvereye #1) by Django Wexler - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ25BCX/

Anybody have any opinions on this one? I feel like I've had Wexler recommended to me a bunch of times, but I don't remember which books or why.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pradmer posted:

Small Gods (Discworld #13) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QTEA3I/
On the incredibly tiny offchance anyone in this thread hasn't already read this, it's one of the best Discworld books and entirely standalone

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've read a lot of books this past year, several of them SciFi and Fantasy, but I am kind of out of knowing what to read next and would like recommendations. To help, here is some of what I have recently read below and liked in the past. I am well aware not all of these would be considered good books but I read them anyway.

Most recently finished and enjoyed:
The 8 books of The Expanse
NK Jemisin's The Broken Earth Trilogy
The Vampire the Masquerade Clan series from the 1990s (all 13 of them)
The Vampire the Masquerade Dark Ages Clan Series from the early 2000s (all 13 of them)
The Blood Bowl Omnibus & Death on the Pitch books
Several Necromunda novels

Also of note, I have tried over the past year to get into Discworld and just can't do it. I've read the first 4 books and just don't feel a real need to go any further.

In the past I have really enjoyed Ian M. Banks Culture series, which I have read all of, and have read several sci-fi classics like Dune, and classic fantasy like Conan and This Dying Earth and a little newer stuff like The Song of Ice and Fire. It's been years since I've read most of these though. The other series probably worth mentioning that I have read and enjoyed is the Dresden Files. I read lots of bad D&D themed fiction in my teenage years but haven't read too much of it recently.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm going to suggest to Gideon the 9th because you seem to like vampires so you'll probably like space necromancers. If you're looking for a longer series you might enjoy I'd suggest trying some Charles Stross. His laundry files are fairly consistently entertaining.

Other random favorites that seem worth mentioning off the top of my head: Yoon Ha Lee's Hexarchate trilogy , The Traitor Baru Cormorant, The Quantum Thief.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 24, 2021

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

nesbit37 posted:

I've read a lot of books this past year, several of them SciFi and Fantasy, but I am kind of out of knowing what to read next and would like recommendations. To help, here is some of what I have recently read below and liked in the past. I am well aware not all of these would be considered good books but I read them anyway.

Consider C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy (starts with Black Sun Rising) and Barb & JC Hendee's Noble Dead/Dhampir books. The first is really good dark fantasy with a touch of horror and sci fi, and the second is vampires + fantasy and was one of my family's next steps after reading too many bad D&D novels. A half-vampire cons peasants by pretending to be a vampire hunter with the help of her elf assassin buddy and their magic fae dog. It's been a long time since I've read them but I've always meant to come back and finish the sequels.

Craig Schaefer's books are pretty good, Daniel Faust and/or Harmony Black series.

I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Max Gladstone's Empress of Forever which is giving me Farscape fish out of water in a mad and hostile sci fi setting vibes.

You mentioned Blood Bowl and Necromunda so I'd be remiss not to mention Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn books, and Aaron Dembski-Bowden's Night Lords trilogy.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm just going to throw some weirder poo poo/one offs at you since I imagine all the usual big recs will get covered

The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart - medieval lowlife scoundrel fantasy. Kinda nasty
Lies of Locke Lamora - fun theft/heist kind of fantasy
Ship of Fools - a bit weirder/darker sort of space sci-fi one off

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Aardvark! posted:

I'm just going to throw some weirder poo poo/one offs at you since I imagine all the usual big recs will get covered

The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart - medieval lowlife scoundrel fantasy. Kinda nasty

this is a rough one, trigger warning utterly brutal violence.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The Terminal World thing isn't really a "twist." It doesn't have any bearing on the story, it's just a fun little thing if you can pick up the hints, since it's never explicitly stated.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
100 fathoms below is a vampire submarine book. The author is Nicholas Kaufman. I haven't read it yet, but I bought it solely on the idea of vampires on a sub. Can't really beat that for an elevator pitch.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

uber_stoat posted:

Tru. I saw Blood Bowl and figured the op was probably fine with ultraviolence

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

uber_stoat posted:

second, it is a book about two absolutely horrible human beings and the things they do (but it is a good book)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I bought Grossbart but wasn't able to get past the first few chapters. It's not badly written, I thought i knew what I was getting into, but it was too much for me.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Aardvark! posted:

Tru. I saw Blood Bowl and figured the op was probably fine with ultraviolence

DACK FAYDEN posted:

second, it is a book about two absolutely horrible human beings and the things they do (but it is a good book)

oh yeah, i liked it and want to check out the author's other stuff but man it goes some places.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

uber_stoat posted:

oh yeah, i liked it and want to check out the author's other stuff but man it goes some places.

His The Enterprise of Death (about a depressed ex-slave alcoholic necromancer and her exceptionally pissed-off dead ex-girlfriend (also a necromancer)) is amazingly good.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

uber_stoat posted:

Thanks for the warning. I am ok with brutal violence, or at least giving it a go. Will have to see how it comes out exactly. The stuff in the Bloodbowl books is violent but its really pretty cartoony.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Did you read the VTM Gehenna novel along with the clan novels? I just read it for the first time and it was surprisingly decent.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

eke out posted:

jesus christ it took me way too long even after GB mentioned it was a pun

what's the pun? ESL here and usually I suss out wordplay but this one is a headscratcher. I'm sure it'll be obvious in hindsight.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Story arc.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Doctor Jeep posted:

what's the pun? ESL here and usually I suss out wordplay but this one is a headscratcher. I'm sure it'll be obvious in hindsight.

Change the K to a C

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Doctor Jeep posted:

the Titular Redemption Ark can be said to be the Nostalgia For Infinity, a ship which gets used to establish a colony of humans that might hopefully escape the bad poo poo coming down the pipe. in literature a redemption arc is when a character tries to put right things they have made wrong in the past, the arc of the journey they go through while they do it. which is referring to Clevain i guess?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Gats Akimbo posted:

His The Enterprise of Death (about a depressed ex-slave alcoholic necromancer and her exceptionally pissed-off dead ex-girlfriend (also a necromancer)) is amazingly good.

Thanks for this. I started Brothers but fell off it, drat lack of attention span. But this sounds right up my aesthetic alley.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BurningBeard posted:

Thanks for this. I started Brothers but fell off it, drat lack of attention span. But this sounds right up my aesthetic alley.

checking just now and it's 1.99 on the USA kindle store for anyone interested.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

cptn_dr posted:

Did you read the VTM Gehenna novel along with the clan novels? I just read it for the first time and it was surprisingly decent.

No I didn't read that one. I did read the Victorian age novels though and they were middling at best.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DACK FAYDEN posted:

On the incredibly tiny offchance anyone in this thread hasn't already read this, it's one of the best Discworld books and entirely standalone

It's actually possible that this is the best book that someone reading this thread hasn't read yet.

So get on it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The Blacktongue Thief should be either out now or only a few hours away, depending on timezones, and I really recommend it.

It reminds me almost of The Book of the New Sun, if it was written by someone who reads a lot of horror and plays a lot of RPGs rather than by a Catholic logophile.

(By which I mean the prose is very good, the setting is weird and the protagonist is a bit of a bastard. It probably won't reward rereading quite as much)

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 25, 2021

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

cptn_dr posted:

The Blacktongue Thief reminds me almost of The Book of the New Sun, if it was written by someone who reads a lot of horror and plays a lot of RPGs rather than by a Catholic logophile.

see now you've anti-sold me on it

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah, I was worried that saying RPG might do that. Err, is it possible to say RPG (positive) rather than RPG (grognard)?
It's very good, I swear.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 25, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Someone with strong collaborative storytelling experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Has anyone read The Golden Age by John C. Wright, The Last Legends of Earth by A.A. Attanasio, or the Neverness books by David Zindell? All have lots of enthusiastic and negative reviews, which makes it really uncertain whether I should give them a chance. People throw out Gene Wolfe comparisons a lot, which could either be a good or a bad thing.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 25, 2021