Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
"A death you can never escape!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Holy poo poo, re-reading this made my eyes wet. Guts conforting himself with the mortality of life.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

for me, when Puck called the behelit his Betchi was the turning point for liking him

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Oh poo poo hey, I remember this guy. I've seen some pics of him before around the web over the years.

It was nice to have Guts return to the blacksmith a bit and get some rest...even if Casca is now missing and apparently going to be tried as a witch.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

He really threw the book at that one guy, haha.

That angry face of his was terrifying though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is impressive

https://mobile.twitter.com/maciej_kuciara/status/1397288519781949444

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58IdBjMeS4

TheLoneStar posted:

He really threw the book at that one guy, haha.

That angry face of his was terrifying though.
Yeah he's a real POS. Berserk never seems to run out of those.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Probably Berserk's second most famous villain behind Griffith, and an absolute delight.

This holds up, in my opinion, as the single best arc.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It was my least favorite on my last reread. Not as tight as the rest and constantly threatening to lose the plot theead in a bad way. The orgy is one of the funniest moments in all berserk though

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

just watched this and thought it was a really cool homage
https://twitter.com/big_time_kilmer/status/1395553644792229891?s=21

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Mazed posted:

Probably Berserk's second most famous villain behind Griffith, and an absolute delight.

This holds up, in my opinion, as the single best arc.
He's certainly been interesting so far, and not just because he looks like a Moʻai. I can't wait to see what he's like when things go wrong for him.

So far I think it's better than anything else after The Golden Age. Just saw some poor guy get dragged into a den of sin, sex, and cannibalism before falling off a cliff. Poor guy. It's been pretty weird how little Guts has shown up. Since he took out those assassins and saved that boy, he's been pretty absent. A pretty strange change.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

It was my least favorite on my last reread. Not as tight as the rest and constantly threatening to lose the plot theead in a bad way. The orgy is one of the funniest moments in all berserk though

Yeah I find the back half of Conviction kind-of a mess, and that's a problem I find consistent with all of the arcs post-Golden Age. Strong, focused start and the end is always... kind-of messy.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Started my first reread. There are so many small details, I didn't remember so many apostles making some small cameos here and there and even some stuff about the God Hand that I didn't catch first.

The eclipse is coming again :smith:

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 26, 2021

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

So far I think it's better than anything else after The Golden Age. Just saw some poor guy get dragged into a den of sin, sex, and cannibalism before falling off a cliff. Poor guy. It's been pretty weird how little Guts has shown up. Since he took out those assassins and saved that boy, he's been pretty absent. A pretty strange change.

It's one of those very precious moments. Remembering reading it for the first time: "So, the refugees are blowing steam with an orgy. Fine, whatever, they're all maybe-consenting adults (or what passes for that in Berserk-land) so everything is

oh

oh they're literally eating babies.

...dammit."

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Mazed posted:

It's one of those very precious moments. Remembering reading it for the first time: "So, the refugees are blowing steam with an orgy. Fine, whatever, they're all maybe-consenting adults (or what passes for that in Berserk-land) so everything is

oh

oh they're literally eating babies.

dammit."
And then the head prostitute or whatever is keeping a lid on the murder and cannibalism of her friend which is pretty hosed. I dunno why we should keep rooting for her or care for Nina's safety, but that's how the narrative seems to be getting pushed. But at least Guts has finally arrived, causing a bloodbath as usual.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I love the Conviction arc and how it mirrors the eclipse. It threatens to be just as horrifying but is a shadow on the water compared to the real thing, and it shows both how much stronger Guts has grown since the Eclipse, by being able to save Caska with the help of his new allies, and how powerless he still is, being unable to prevent Griffith's rebirth.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It also plants the seeds that the worship of the church and the worship of the God Hand are unbeknownst to the clergy one in the same, a tidbit that becomes a lot more important when Griffith gets proclaimed by the pope as humanity's savior.

Also chalk me up as a weirdo who likes Nina. She really grounds the entire arc by being a very normal person with very normal reactions to things. Under threat of death or torture she is scared, self-interested, and willing to say and do pretty much whatever keeps her alive. She genuinely cares about others and in her mind wants to be the hero like Luca or Guts who rushes into danger to save her friends, but she simply doesn't have the courage to do so. Miura was always good at capturing those frank elements of humanity, both the good and the bad.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Mozgus brandishing his book and telling the oncoming sludge monster to go ahead and come at him was beautiful. Really wish we could see what he could do before he got turned into a demon or whatever that weird creature is doing. He just turned, and I think he just shot flames out of his mouth.

Also the smallest of Mozgus' personal guard looks like a Shadow Heartless and I just love that.

Sydin posted:

Also chalk me up as a weirdo who likes Nina. She really grounds the entire arc by being a very normal person with very normal reactions to things. Under threat of death or torture she is scared, self-interested, and willing to say and do pretty much whatever keeps her alive. She genuinely cares about others and in her mind wants to be the hero like Luca or Guts who rushes into danger to save her friends, but she simply doesn't have the courage to do so. Miura was always good at capturing those frank elements of humanity, both the good and the bad.
I mean it's realistic, but this is a manga. Realistic is unusual, especially for a character with such focus. The fact she has a dozen chances to prove she's a good person with courage and has, as far as I've read, squandered every single one just makes her unbearable in my eyes.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Griffith !!!!!!! :argh:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ZZZorcerer posted:

GRIFFFFIIISSSSS!!!! :argh:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well, I finished the Conviction Arc, and it really did kind of fall apart at the end. Didn't expect a brand new human(?) Griffith to emerge like that. And Zodd even got to reappear again. A very clumsy joining of Farnese and Serpico. She spent twenty chapters obsessed with despising Guts and wanting him dead, just to change her mind because he's strong and devoted. Really pissed that the cannibal murderer coward got a happy ending after spending the entire arc cowering in fear and selling out others. That aside, I gotta be honest though, things are looking bad. Party just tripled in size and only two of the members can actually fight. Casca gets a pass, but at this point she's not much of a character anymore all the same. With Isidro and Puck, it really feels like the manga has become an action comedy with some sprinkles of angst and gore in-between, and it's really agrivating.

In all honesty, I'm probably going to drop the manga unless the next arc is super amazing or something, because I can only see things going downhill from here. It's turning into a really dull shitshow.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

TheLoneStar posted:

Well, I finished the Conviction Arc, and it really did kind of fall apart at the end. Didn't expect a brand new human(?) Griffith to emerge like that. And Zodd even got to reappear again. A very clumsy joining of Farnese and Serpico. She spent twenty chapters obsessed with despising Guts and wanting him dead, just to change her mind because he's strong and devoted. Really pissed that the cannibal murderer coward got a happy ending after spending the entire arc cowering in fear and selling out others. That aside, I gotta be honest though, things are looking bad. Party just tripled in size and only two of the members can actually fight. Casca gets a pass, but at this point she's not much of a character anymore all the same. With Isidro and Puck, it really feels like the manga has become an action comedy with some sprinkles of angst and gore in-between, and it's really agrivating.

In all honesty, I'm probably going to drop the manga unless the next arc is super amazing or something, because I can only see things going downhill from here. It's turning into a really dull shitshow.

You're past the toughest stretch. The conviction arc is def my least favorite out of the bunch, but it has the important return of Griffith so yeah.

You gotta remember that karma isn't like a thing in the world of Berserk, mostly the lovely folks get got, but that's not a universal truth that you get whats coming to you. Sometimes the world sucks and lovely outcomes still happen. Guts has been on a tear being successful, so it was inevitable that he would run into something he wasn't immediately successful at (stopping Griffiths rebirth).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You're at around volume 21 or something? Volume 22-33 are some of my favorite in the entire manga. But I also like Conviction, so...

Pretty much the only part of the manga I don't like much is the first 2.5 volumes.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Notorious ZSB posted:

You're past the toughest stretch. The conviction arc is def my least favorite out of the bunch, but it has the important return of Griffith so yeah.

You gotta remember that karma isn't like a thing in the world of Berserk, mostly the lovely folks get got, but that's not a universal truth that you get whats coming to you. Sometimes the world sucks and lovely outcomes still happen. Guts has been on a tear being successful, so it was inevitable that he would run into something he wasn't immediately successful at (stopping Griffiths rebirth).
Mmm...Alright, I'll keep going a bit further, see how this whole gang dynamic works out.

I know, I just can't help but be frustrated. A character that spent an entire arc essentially just being the worst and a really selfish coward and she got out of this mass slaughter with a hurt finger and nothing more. Can't help but be annoyed at that.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TheLoneStar posted:

With Isidro and Puck, it really feels like the manga has become an action comedy with some sprinkles of angst and gore in-between, and it's really agrivating.

Yeah now you've gotten to the part where it starts to occasionally feel like generic bad shonen, complete with titty groping and peeking during the baths. While a lot of other stuff was inspired by Berserk this is far too late to be original so you can't even excuse it for that.
It's also around here that I really started to feel like Berserk had some issues with it's female characters, when the literal kid is valued better both as a warrior and general helper than either of the female party members. Sure one of them is super traumatized( and functionally fridged to motivate Guts during this part of the story) and the other had a ceremonial post but it really feels like a bad pattern. It gets better later but for quite a while it's really at its worst.

Also just noticed someone edited the Wikipedia page of Berserk chapters in the last few days to remove the labels of where the narrative arcs start. Seems odd since they are AFAIK official.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you stop now you miss out on the titular armour, the best party member and some absolutely beautiful/horrifying and iconic imagery that is what cemented Berserk as a classic imo

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Jesus, I guess Farnese was just a sociopath all her life. I realized she was a spoiled brat, but she's really going into serial killer levels of unhinged. Interesting to see Griffith return back to Midland, which I guess means he's going to go after Charlotte again, maybe. I feel like his "kingdom" will be the "Kingdom of the World" or something now that he's a demon.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not quite sure you got exactly what Farnese's deal was, honestly. It's not that she's entirely a spoiled brat, or that she entirely hated Guts and then did a sudden 180, there's a lot more nuance in there than that, a lot of it coming from her upbringing and isolation, and her projecting her own self loathing and doubts.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm not quite sure you got exactly what Farnese's deal was, honestly. It's not that she's entirely a spoiled brat, or that she entirely hated Guts and then did a sudden 180, there's a lot more nuance in there than that, a lot of it coming from her upbringing and isolation, and her projecting her own self loathing and doubts.
Nearing the end of her flashback, a spoiled brat still seems pretty accurate. She lashes out and burns animals when she doesn't get her way, unless it's her father telling her to do something. I wouldn't mind it nearly as much if she wasn't being painted in a sympathetic light at the same time. "Poor girl who just has no choice but to set people and animals on fire because she's lonely." At least with Guts he was fighting people on a battlefield and literally had no choice but to be a mercenary for a lot of his life.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The full gang arc that follows conviction is also one of my favorites and the arrival of the titular armor is something you don't want to miss.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Conviction rules and I really feel like you missed most of the detail and nuances with Farnese and Serpico's character. Farnese has one of the best arcs in all of Berserk.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I might just take a bit of a break. Maybe reading over two hundred chapters of a single manga in roughly a week has got me burnt out. Felt like a real chore to read the last few chapters. So far, it's the art that's captured me the most in the series, even more than the characters or the storyline itself. The Golden Age really lives up to its name because so far that was by far the best part of the manga for me from what I've read, and it's been disappointing its gone downhill from there.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That appears to be by far the most popular part of the story, pretty much all the adaptations I know of just do Golden Age.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

TheLoneStar posted:

Mmm...Alright, I'll keep going a bit further, see how this whole gang dynamic works out.

I know, I just can't help but be frustrated. A character that spent an entire arc essentially just being the worst and a really selfish coward and she got out of this mass slaughter with a hurt finger and nothing more. Can't help but be annoyed at that.

You owe it to yourself to perservere, to eh, struggle through it because even if you find the story or characters trite you haven't seen Berserk yet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

I might just take a bit of a break. Maybe reading over two hundred chapters of a single manga in roughly a week has got me burnt out. Felt like a real chore to read the last few chapters. So far, it's the art that's captured me the most in the series, even more than the characters or the storyline itself. The Golden Age really lives up to its name because so far that was by far the best part of the manga for me from what I've read, and it's been disappointing its gone downhill from there.

Binging is bad for the brain so I respect this choice, but Berserk is absolutely worth coming back to. The Falcon of the New Millenium arc is fantastic and some of the most iconic Berserk aside from the Golden Age

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheLoneStar posted:

Nearing the end of her flashback, a spoiled brat still seems pretty accurate. She lashes out and burns animals when she doesn't get her way, unless it's her father telling her to do something. I wouldn't mind it nearly as much if she wasn't being painted in a sympathetic light at the same time. "Poor girl who just has no choice but to set people and animals on fire because she's lonely." At least with Guts he was fighting people on a battlefield and literally had no choice but to be a mercenary for a lot of his life.

I really don't think the manga is as sympathetic toward young Farnese as you're saying it is. What I got from those chapters wasn't "Poor Farnese" but "Oh, so that's how she turned into a selfish monster." Pitiful circumstances can turn ordinary people into monsters. And maybe now in better company she can find a way to be less monstrous.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 27, 2021

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Some of us, like Isidro, struggle with being adolescent. Some of us, like Guts and Casca, struggle with mobs of literal demons who want to eat us constantly banging down the door. Some of us, like Farnese, struggle with a charmed yet dysfunctional upbringing and occasional bouts of pyrophilia.

Berserk is about the human issues. :buddy:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Still lol every time at Conrad and Ubik stacked like kids in a trench coat during Griffith’s vision in the Eclipse.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheLoneStar posted:

Definitely come back but I wanted to address something here

That character didn't get away scott free. Its implied she, at the *very* least, has some kind of nasty STD that's probably going to kill her, and might have the plague.

Part of her story is that she's terrified of dying but knows she's sick. She's finally taking a stand to try and live in the ending, despite knowing her time is short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheLoneStar posted:

lmao right on.

Yeah take a break though. The series does start to shift from here on out and it gets more... spectacle-y, for better and for worse.