Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Yeah not sure why you'd need to read thirty chapters a day. You need some time to stop and think about what's happening and what might be coming next. It might be better to set a goal for a reading timeline and then sorta stuck to that target +-1 chapter a day. Otherwise you're gonna be like an eight year old that doesn't know when to stop playing games and go to sleep. :downsgun: It's not like we could have even helped slow you down since you're reading "arcs per day".

I'm not a big fan of Conviction. We'll see what happens during the reread. If we have a survey of "best arc", be sure to include "worst arc" because people seem to have quite the love/hate thing going on when they post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Horse and rider chopped in half in the first chapter. :3: Golden age is just window dressing.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah binging is bad. I've been working through Beserk myself even before the news broke and Mirua's passing. I've been going at onw volume a day whcih takes me about an hour or so.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I couldn't resist and am now doing my own reread.

I like Zodd's intro. It might actually be my favorite single scene as of the time it occurs. He comes as a shock, the first sign of supernatural happenings, and he's ready to casually end the entire Band of the Hawk until he notices the Behelit. So, he tells Guts precisely what's going to happen, and casually fucks off.

They don't spend a lot of time thinking about him, because Griffith's rise to high society is now the focus...because of course it is, and Zodd's probably off somewhere with a bowl of popcorn just waiting.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I'm targeting one book per day but it will be rough this weekend to avoid reading all of them.

End of book one, I'm enjoying the juxtaposition between the torn up face of the "physician" and the appearance of the behelit.

The town is well drawn. Obviously nothing like twenty books from now but you can see how those panoramic details will come to life in Miura's future work. Even from the beginning though, you actually want to look at what's on the page.

The old joke about counting Guts kills is because it's possible to do since the bodies are visible (though I'm not going to hold him to exacting continuity of positions in Black Swordsman, or ever haha). http://skullknight.net/roster/

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Farnese gets a lot better with time. Hell, even Isidro grew on me.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Why does the snake apostle baron back at the start bother wearing armour? Doesn't seem like he particularly cares about pretending to be human.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Flesnolk posted:

Why does the snake apostle baron back at the start bother wearing armour? Doesn't seem like he particularly cares about pretending to be human.
Throughout the series the apostles seem to adapt elements to their human forms. It seems likely that armor was his before becoming an apostle considering his utter focus on death and crunching sounds of people under hooves.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

There's a massive album of reoccuring apostles on imgur
https://imgur.com/a/ZAp8p
I knew about the obvious ones appearing like the count but there's a tonne of them

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
On another note, do the deluxe editions have the coloured pages Miura did in some chapters? I've been giving the manga a look and the ones that he painted are in heavily-shaded black and white instead.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Berserk doesn't start until Millennium Falcon.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

freelop posted:

There's a massive album of reoccuring apostles on imgur
https://imgur.com/a/ZAp8p
I knew about the obvious ones appearing like the count but there's a tonne of them

NSFW

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, obviously

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Flesnolk posted:

On another note, do the deluxe editions have the coloured pages Miura did in some chapters? I've been giving the manga a look and the ones that he painted are in heavily-shaded black and white instead.

Black and White, I'm afraid.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Quiz: Which apostle are you?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The secret apostle

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

The secret apostle

I like this dude a lot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone loves Shnozz.

It's been making rounds in the memorials since his passing, but Miura really didn't get enough credit in life for his willingness to make loads of Apostles and demon/monster imagery that wasn't just terrifying but also pathetic, wretched, miserable, and lots of simple examples of cosmic cruelty.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yardbomb posted:

The secret apostle

As much as we all love the Snozz, he is no Apostle. He's just a weird loving thing that lives in the dark.

A goon, basically.

No, the best Apostle is another. The thing with Apostles is that you must reach the absolute depths of despair, to the point of being willing to kill yourself, and sacrifice anything you hold dear for power. That's the whole deal. Friends, family, lovers, to become an apostle is to drat them to Hell for eternity even if they have done nothing to wrong you. Especially, in fact.

Which brings us to the best Apostle

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Also in the lost chapter Griffith is brought before the Idea of Evil and told to choose his desired form, the form that he needs to achieve his goals. So that guy was like, "To achieve my dreams, I want to be snail man."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wonder if every Apostle gets to meet the Idea of Evil after they choose to sacrifice or you have to have the Godhand Gold Club Membership.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Bisse posted:

Also in the lost chapter Griffith is brought before the Idea of Evil and told to choose his desired form, the form that he needs to achieve his goals. So that guy was like, "To achieve my dreams, I want to be snail man."

As someone who wasn't really around for that, what's the deal with that chapter? It can early enough that I feel that if it was still relevant some part of the rest of the series would have tied back to it, but I also doesn't feel like there was something big enough to cut it back, other than there being something big and evil behind the Godhand. And how do you even let something like that go to print the first time if you feel it ruins the story. Is there any official explanation?

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Hel posted:

As someone who wasn't really around for that, what's the deal with that chapter? It can early enough that I feel that if it was still relevant some part of the rest of the series would have tied back to it, but I also doesn't feel like there was something big enough to cut it back, other than there being something big and evil behind the Godhand. And how do you even let something like that go to print the first time if you feel it ruins the story. Is there any official explanation?

Not sure what the official word was, it just gets a little too meta and Griffith ends up meeting and talking to something on a power/influence scale such that it might as well have been an author stand-in. "Show, don't tell" isn't a super central thing with Griffith's development, but that chapter definitely tells a little too much and it ends up feeling incongruent with the way the rest of the story works.

So I always filed it under "cut because it's a weird chapter in the context of the rest of the story" and not because there was a change in direction or Miura wanted to retcon it or something.

Pretty interesting chapter though just for the ~lore~

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ccs posted:

I wonder if every Apostle gets to meet the Idea of Evil after they choose to sacrifice or you have to have the Godhand Gold Club Membership.

I'm p. sure you have to be in the Gold Club. There's no way the Idea of Evil wastes his time on every generic marauder rapist.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pyrus Malus posted:

Not sure what the official word was, it just gets a little too meta and Griffith ends up meeting and talking to something on a power/influence scale such that it might as well have been an author stand-in. "Show, don't tell" isn't a super central thing with Griffith's development, but that chapter definitely tells a little too much and it ends up feeling incongruent with the way the rest of the story works.

So I always filed it under "cut because it's a weird chapter in the context of the rest of the story" and not because there was a change in direction or Miura wanted to retcon it or something.

Pretty interesting chapter though just for the ~lore~

My suspicion is that it ended up not really meshing perfectly with the way Miura would later lay out the order of the world and the various planes of existence, so he simply got rid of it so he could do that stuff without feeling beholden to the one concept of God he thought up years prior.

edit: Actually, it wouldn't have been years prior, now that I think about it, since it never appeared in the tankoubon published less than a year after the original publication. I dunno, then. I'm still guessing that he felt like its existence in the canon would have constrained his later decisions on how the magic and elementals and gods and stuff worked.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 27, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: Actually, it wouldn't have been years prior, now that I think about it, since it never appeared in the tankoubon published less than a year after the original publication. I dunno, then. I'm still guessing that he felt like its existence in the canon would have constrained his later decisions on how the magic and elementals and gods and stuff worked.
Considering the series ran over 20 years after that chapter got published/rescinded... yeah I agree. It's not even that it "gave too much away" about how the world worked (although it kind-of did) but it also created a fence he would have regretted.

See also the way we never actually got much Femto. We get a little of Femto in Black Swordsman, then a little in Eclipse, then in Conviction Miura beelines to bring back his much more aesthetic Griffith design and uses Femto only for special occasions. Turns out a design he came up with in 1989-1991 wasn't the one he wanted to be stuck with forever.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 27, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Considering the series ran over 20 years after that chapter got published/rescinded... yeah I agree. It's not even that it "gave too much away" about how the world worked (although it kind-of did) but it also created a fence he would have regretted.

See also the way we never actually got much Femto. We get a little of Femto in Black Swordsman, then a little in Eclipse, then in Conviction Miura beelines to bring back his much more aesthetic Griffith design and uses Femto only for special occasions. Turns out a design he came up with in 1989-1991 wasn't the one he wanted to be stuck with forever.

Part of this ties into Berserk's toku influences, which are undeniable.

Femto is Griffith's transformed state. He can't be used all the time because that defeats the purpose. Just like the Berserker armor is Guts transformed state- most clearly shown with GutsDog.

Berserk is *very* heavy on tokusatsu ideas and tropes. The Apostles work a lot like classic Kamen Rider villains, and the God Hand are just another iteration of Shocker. We know this has held sway over Berserk because, though jokingly, he's even included a blatant shout out to UltraSeven in the manga before.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Part of this ties into Berserk's toku influences, which are undeniable.

Femto is Griffith's transformed state. He can't be used all the time because that defeats the purpose. Just like the Berserker armor is Guts transformed state- most clearly shown with GutsDog.

Berserk is *very* heavy on tokusatsu ideas and tropes. The Apostles work a lot like classic Kamen Rider villains, and the God Hand are just another iteration of Shocker. We know this has held sway over Berserk because, though jokingly, he's even included a blatant shout out to UltraSeven in the manga before.

Ties also to what I've said before about how Berserk is one of those thematic successors to Devilman that ends up being way more competent in the execution than that series*

*admittedly I have the somewhat controversial opinion that Devilman is edgy garbage that only holds onto its spot because of how influential it is to Japanese pop culture, and cause Go Nagai is a very talented artist and character/monster/robot designer so people are willing to overlook how mediocre the writing is

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Ties also to what I've said before about how Berserk is one of those thematic successors to Devilman that ends up being way more competent in the execution than that series*

*admittedly I have the somewhat controversial opinion that Devilman is edgy garbage that only holds onto its spot because of how influential it is to Japanese pop culture, and cause Go Nagai is a very talented artist and character/monster/robot designer so people are willing to overlook how mediocre the writing is

All of this is absolutely true.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

What works better than there being an "Idea of Evil" is that morality is fundamentally nothing; all that matters is what you do.

The single most complicated element of Griffith's character is that, with the power he acquired by condemning his closest to death and endless horror, he's doing something that seemingly benefits a far larger group of people than his dead company, a group which include both humans and apostles. Further muddying it is when the humans start to catch on, like Sonia first but then members of the Midland army, they're just willing to roll with it, and the apostles are making a conscious effort not to prey on them.

It'd be one thing if they were all playing the long game to ensure a greater feast to come, but arguably very few apostles are capable of that kind of restraint, considering that "restraint" isn't a common virtue at all in those who cross that threshold.

Yet the most confounded thing, the reason Griffith is still such a poo poo, is that all these good moves are ten thousand percent about his ego.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Bisse posted:

Does it have to be one Miura introduced? I suspect there's too much competition for "I just want to hear the moans, groans, and screams, as people are forced to read my terrible posts".

:thunk: You've actually posed a rather difficult question.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Miura imo pulls a really cool "trick" so to speak with Femto in that once Griffith reincarnates back into his familiar guise at the Tower of Conviction, he looks like that for a looooong time. So long that you almost forget or at least wonder if he's become something different, something removed from the horrors of the God Hand. And then bam, he's back to Femto when he's away from his followers and the culminating moment comes to kill Ganishka.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The demon and human are inseparable and define each in contrast. The idea of evil is the heart of the spirit realm because its the central idea of humanity.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Bisse posted:

oh, oh, I'm this guy, the big chompy guy

Borkoff!

he's the one who got Guts' arm, but he's showed up in like every apostle squad scene since.

I'm eating fried chicken as I consider this and being very chompy seems like a reasonable thing to relate to.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really wonder if Miura ever had any plans for a good Borkoff death scene. What would that even look like?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

I really wonder if Miura ever had any plans for a good Borkoff death scene. What would that even look like?

Guts introduces his new arm to him

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Guts blows off his top half with the cannon and his body keeps running after death, trampling dozens of smaller apostles and taking some of them with him, off a cliff

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

All in a single two page spread

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if Guts wouldn't even recognize Borkoff. There was some other stuff happening at the time.

As for the idea of evil, Scheirke and Flora say that the Godhand are supposedly the executors of the will of something even deeper in the astral plane than they are. While obviously they're characters and could just be wrong of course, it's a pretty expository scene so I'm inclined to take it at face value. It's pretty contradictory towards the Idea as seen in the Lost Chapter, because while when the Godhand tell Apostles to do whatever, it's with a very Palpatine-esque vibe of always feeding into the big evil godhand plan, the Idea comes off as much more FUNCTIONAL than that when it says so too its new Godhand. The idea doesn't have a will or plan, just a role: give power to evil people and tell them to do what they want so evil happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The best way to makes sense of The Lost Chapter is to assume that it all happens in Griffith's mind. He's trying to justify sacrificing the hawks to himself by saying it's all by divine providence. It sure as poo poo fits him ego.