Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

alnilam posted:

Press conferences of government officials have tended to always have an ASL interpreter on screen lately. I'm glad of it, but I have to wonder, is there any reason not to just use subtitles/closed captioning? Is it because it's live and it's easier to have an interpreter than a live captioner?

This might not be the real answer, but deaf people only learn written English as a second language, and a super weird one at that compared to ASL. I mainly just want to impress that sign languages are their very own things, not just "English with your hands".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

alnilam posted:

Press conferences of government officials have tended to always have an ASL interpreter on screen lately. I'm glad of it, but I have to wonder, is there any reason not to just use subtitles/closed captioning? Is it because it's live and it's easier to have an interpreter than a live captioner?

What BonHair said, but also, closed captions aren't going to help any hearing impaired people who are standing there in the room watching.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sign languages are their own things, but deaf people can generally read and write the major language of their culture.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
People who don't speak English still can use American Sign Language, it's more accessible than simple English captions (which I'm sure are also provided).

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

BonHair posted:

This might not be the real answer, but deaf people only learn written English as a second language, and a super weird one at that compared to ASL. I mainly just want to impress that sign languages are their very own things, not just "English with your hands".
I knew this, but it made me realize something I don't know - is there a written component to ASL (or other sign languages)? Like, can you get a book in it? Or is there some standard notation to describe everything that makes up a particular sign?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Trapick posted:

I knew this, but it made me realize something I don't know - is there a written component to ASL (or other sign languages)? Like, can you get a book in it? Or is there some standard notation to describe everything that makes up a particular sign?

https://aslfont.github.io/Symbol-Font-For-ASL/ways-to-write.html has a decade-old overview of static options. None are really in common use, though. YouTube has lots of ASL, though

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bioshuffle posted:

Is it abnormal to unplug electronics during a lightning storm?
I have never even heard of anyone doing this. :stare:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I have never even heard of anyone doing this. :stare:

My dad used to do it so I kind of do it as well! Though it’s other stuff like turning off anything in a suspended state or that really gets hosed up by sudden power loss (looking at you, raspberry pi’s!)

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
It is technically possible to have your stuff get damaged from a big power surge if they're still plugged in. I can't say I've ever bothered to do such a thing and I've never had anything get damaged, but I also live in a place that pretty rarely gets lightning at all so I dunno how necessary it really is.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
You can also buy surge protectors that have insurance attached to them (if they fail to protect your equipment they pay out damages).

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

BonHair posted:

As an aside to this, 15-20-ish years ago when I was in college I really wanted to learn ASL for my language credits, but at the time it was considered a language cuz "gently caress the hearing impaired" I guess. I'm obviously bitter about it, and I sure hope that ship's changed and thrown in the dustbin of history

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

dog nougat posted:

As an aside to this, 15-20-ish years ago when I was in college I really wanted to learn ASL for my language credits, but at the time it was considered a language cuz "gently caress the hearing impaired" I guess. I'm obviously bitter about it, and I sure hope that ship's changed and thrown in the dustbin of history

I think it's determined by the school. I was able to take it in 2008-2009 for my language requirement.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Eason the Fifth posted:

I think it's determined by the school. I was able to take it in 2008-2009 for my language requirement.

It’s this, and there is absolutely no consistency between who accepts it and who doesn’t. I took three years of ASL in high school where it counted as my language credit, the college I started at also counted it, but the university I attended to finish my bachelors in the same state/county didn’t accept it as a language credit for no discernible reason and I had to take a pair of semesters of Spanish to cover their language requirements. I’ve heard in some cases it’ll even vary within a school whether certain departments accept it for specific degrees or not, which sadly fits with how a lot of places are.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 26, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there a way to format google search results so they take advantage of a widescreen monitor? They are all clumped in a vertical column on the left third of my screen.

Also occasionally something gets borked and instead the search results appear crammed into boxes in a column in the center of my screen. It's weird and looks like its mistaking my laptop for a mobile device.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there a way to "clean up" the audio in amateur video clips to get rid of that ubiquitous background static hiss? I think it's the sound of air currents hitting the microphone.

It seems like there would be some AI along the lines of nvidia's noise reduction, but instead of actively processing audio input it would go through an existing clip and remove that stuff.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is there a way to "clean up" the audio in amateur video clips to get rid of that ubiquitous background static hiss? I think it's the sound of air currents hitting the microphone.

It seems like there would be some AI along the lines of nvidia's noise reduction, but instead of actively processing audio input it would go through an existing clip and remove that stuff.

It can easily be done in audacity, though that might require demuxing the stream first and remuxing afterwards. I havent't done it in a while so I don't remember precisely where the function is located but you can basically highlight a section of audio you want removed (so, a second or so of nothing but hiss) and have that sound removed across the entire audio track. I did that for a Heavens to Betsy fan page where they had a bunch of live tracks that were just lousy with hiss and the difference was truly remarkable. Just poke around in the app, I figured it out by myself and I'm not a smart guy by any means so it must be pretty straightforward.

If you can't find that function lmk and when I get home I'll play around with it and write up a step by step

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 27, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think that’s what the lowpass filter in ffmpeg is for. Does the command in the reply here work for you?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is there a way to format google search results so they take advantage of a widescreen monitor? They are all clumped in a vertical column on the left third of my screen.

Also occasionally something gets borked and instead the search results appear crammed into boxes in a column in the center of my screen. It's weird and looks like its mistaking my laptop for a mobile device.

This isn't normal, you need to figure out what is causing your laptop to report as a mobile device.

Open an incognito window with no extensions and see if a browser extension is doing it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

I think that’s what the lowpass filter in ffmpeg is for. Does the command in the reply here work for you?

You can do a low pass filter in Audacity too. IIRC they even have a preset filter called "hiss removal" so you don't have to play around with the cutoff frequency.

Low pass filters will get rid of hiss but can also reduce the audio quality in other ways. It's definitely a good first thing to try and for many cases it will be good enough. IIRC there are more advanced ways of hiss removal if you are not satisfied with the result - like analyzing the sound to isolate the hiss's frequency and then using a notch filter on that frequency.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

I swear I know of someone who applied the nVidia noise reduction thing to a recording. It doesn't have to be done in realtime. You might need to route your speaker output to the microphone or something if the software is only rigged to do realtime, but it should be possible at least.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

FCKGW posted:

This isn't normal, you need to figure out what is causing your laptop to report as a mobile device.

Open an incognito window with no extensions and see if a browser extension is doing it.

Huh, I thought I'd already tested with and without extensions but that at least solves my second complaint. Looks like NoScript confuses google sometimes.

For my first question, it's because the whitespace on the right side of the screen is reserved for wikipedia, social media links and uh... I guess whatever google thinks is handy. I've been searching some kinda specific things lately and I guess Google just doesn't populate that area if it can't find anything relevant.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Someone help my dumb brain with this:

I have two bank loans:

Loan A
Balance: 11,758
Interest: 10.99%
Monthly Payment: 327.53

Loan B
Balance: 8,681
Interest: 2.49%
Monthly Payment: 242.14

Along with the minimum payments, I can add $300 a month directly to the principal of one bill. If I can put the additional $300 per month on either loan, am I better putting it on the the higher interest loan first even though it will take longer to pay off, or using the 300 to quickly pay off the lower interest loan and then snowballing around the freed up $542 to the bigger loan? I can obviously pay off Loan B a lot faster, but will I lose out in the long run due to the longer period of higher interest?

Any time I try and do the math with loan calculators I feel like I'm making mistakes or I keep getting different answers. Or should I be splitting the 300 extra among both in some weird proportion?

Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the last week or so, I've been waking up about an hour earlier than usual and have been unable to get back to sleep. As far as I'm aware, my sleep habits and environment haven't changed. I still feel kind of tired, and my eyes are gritty, but my brain just won't go back to sleep. How can I figure out how to sleep my normal amount again?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Have you tried OTC sleep medication?

It doesn’t just help you fall asleep. It keeps you asleep.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Eclipse12 posted:

Any time I try and do the math with loan calculators I feel like I'm making mistakes or I keep getting different answers. Or should I be splitting the 300 extra among both in some weird proportion?

Thanks!

Financially speaking, the right decision is to put the extra money into the higher rate loan. The easiest way to think about it may be that putting $300 in the first loan avoids $33 of interest annually, while $300 in the second loan saves you $7.50 per year.

The snowballing method you're describing is a psychological trick, it helps people feel they are making more progress. But paying off the highest rate loan is the financially optimal approach.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Eclipse12 posted:

I have two bank loans:

Loan A

Loan B

Along with the minimum payments, I can add $300 a month directly to the principal of one bill. If I can put the additional $300 per month on either loan, am I better putting it on the the higher interest loan first even though it will take longer to pay off, or using the 300 to quickly pay off the lower interest loan and then snowballing around the freed up $542 to the bigger loan? I can obviously pay off Loan B a lot faster, but will I lose out in the long run due to the longer period of higher interest?

Thanks!

Is the interest on the loans calculated monthly, quarterly or per annum? That's probably why you're getting different answers from loan calculators. It makes a surprisingly large difference over time.

E:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Financially speaking, the right decision is to put the extra money into the higher rate loan. The easiest way to think about it may be that putting $300 in the first loan avoids $33 of interest annually, while $300 in the second loan saves you $7.50 per year.

The snowballing method you're describing is a psychological trick, it helps people feel they are making more progress. But paying off the highest rate loan is the financially optimal approach.

This is the right answer in any case.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 28, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Platystemon posted:

Have you tried OTC sleep medication?

It doesn’t just help you fall asleep. It keeps you asleep.

Not yet. I'll pick some up to try.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eclipse12 posted:

I have two bank loans:

Loan A

Loan B

Thanks!

You don't give us all the details to give you a 100% accurate answer, but regardless, I built a small model to answer your question. Based on my rough calculations, you have around 44 months of payments on loan A and 38 months of payments on loan B. Is that right? With these payments, you'll have around $2500 in interest paid on loan A and around $350 on loan B.

Adding an extra $300/month in principle to loan A gets you paid off 21 months and reduces your overall interest payment on that loan to $1200. Assuming then that you add the $627.53 you now have as additional principle to loan B will allow you to pay that loan off then at month 25. Total cumulative int at that point is just shy of $1500 between both loans.

Adding an extra $300 to loan B means it gets paid off in 17 months. Interest on that loan drops from $350 to $150. Adding the $542.14 you have free now to loan 2 means it gets paid off in 28 months with interest of $1900. This means you have a total paid interest of around $2050.

Since $1500 < $2050, put the additional money into loan A.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hooah posted:

look at the labels. diphenhydramine is the active ingredient, so get the cheapest one. you might also try melatonin an hour before bed to help you feel sleepy. i'm good with just melatonin and only use diphenhydramine if i'm having a really hard time sleeping because it gives me violent nightmares

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

butt dickus posted:

look at the labels. diphenhydramine is the active ingredient, so get the cheapest one. you might also try melatonin an hour before bed to help you feel sleepy. i'm good with just melatonin and only use diphenhydramine if i'm having a really hard time sleeping because it gives me violent nightmares

I'll try the diphenhydramine. Falling asleep at night isn't an issue (at least not yet), so I don't see melatonin helping much.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Thanks for the math help! I'll go for the higher interest loan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hooah posted:

I use diphenhydramine if am having trouble falling asleep, but I find that doxylamine succinate works best at ensuring full night’s sleep if I need to sleep past my usual wakeup time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What does the first world rely on the third world for? (besides oil and cheap labor?)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Grouchio posted:

What does the first world rely on the third world for? (besides oil and cheap labor?)

raw material resources and markets for their consumer goods

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grouchio posted:

All the negative externalities associated with life. Any resource extraction is hazardous to the people in the area for generations. Mining, oil drilling, etc. all have massive negative effects on the world at large but especially so in their immediate area.

Cheap labor is a huge part of why we shift jobs outside of America, but all of the nasty poo poo that comes with those jobs is another major reason. Why pollute the USA when we can pollute the global south, instead?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

I think "cheap labour" really brushes over the structural requirement that capital always must have for some kind of hinterland or periphery. Like, you're not wrong, but historically underdeveloped places are made that way so that they can provide a reservoir of cheap, disorganized labour and spaces the consumers of the metropoles can be ignorant of so that they can consume in peace.

This is a constant tension, however, as those workers eventually get organized and the consumers of the developed spaces find themselves without productive things to do with their time (and the people who live there fight for their land and water). This is why you see capital move from, say, the US to Canada to Mexico to Korea then to China. Each hop produced the same sequence of regulatory capture, worker rebellion and demands, and the eventual capital strike where capital takes its ball and goes to the next poorest place. The other side of the tension is the fact that the consumers of the metropoles have to be able to afford the goods produced but because of automation and further capital strikes, find themselves with progressively less productive stuff to do.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hooah posted:

For the last week or so, I've been waking up about an hour earlier than usual and have been unable to get back to sleep. As far as I'm aware, my sleep habits and environment haven't changed. I still feel kind of tired, and my eyes are gritty, but my brain just won't go back to sleep. How can I figure out how to sleep my normal amount again?

I had this problem and bought a way better bed. That helped a bit for a while and is good. But the actual underlying issue was that my job was crap and also my wife was unemployed and bummed about it. I was low key stressed/depressed/whatever most likely. So take a critical look at your life in addition to the drugs, it could be a deeper issue you can fix

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Another great sleep aid is exercise. It might not do the whole trick for everyone, but it's something to try and it's good for you anyway!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grouchio posted:

"third world" is technically considered an out of date designation coming from the cold war. but just as what others said about raw materials and labor still holds true, it is also still true that "first" and "second" world countries continue to use "third world" countries as grounds for proxy wars between one other instead of fighting directly. which is really a process that predates the cold war and is an aspect of colonialism. so you can say the first world relies on the third world for everything from arms sales to locations for bases and other military infrastructure to a wide range of official and unofficial military and paramilitary forces to participate in proxy wars and empire building as well as generally being the actual battle grounds where most of the casualties occur, civilian and military.

there is another layer to this which is that its not really "first world countries" doing the using anymore, its the multinational corporations who control those countries.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Earwicker posted:

"third world" is technically considered an out of date designation coming from the cold war. but just as what others said about raw materials and labor still holds true, it is also still true that "first" and "second" world countries continue to use "third world" countries as grounds for proxy wars between one other instead of fighting directly. which is really a process that predates the cold war and is an aspect of colonialism. so you can say the first world relies on the third world for everything from arms sales to locations for bases and other military infrastructure to a wide range of official and unofficial military and paramilitary forces to participate in proxy wars and empire building as well as generally being the actual battle grounds themselves.

there is another layer to this which is that its not really "first world countries" doing the using anymore, its the multinational corporations who control those countries.
My next question therefore: How can less developed countries with slightly less water scarcity than others survive the century re:climate change? The developed world must rely on the former to maintain themselves no?