Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's literally some sort of affine transformation that's pushed modern day Russia a little south and very east.

Upon closer inspection the USA is wrong too, though to a much less obvious degree. The great lakes don't match up with the flag overlay, and San Diego and Seattle have apparently been ceded away.

Even if it's just a misplaced over lay, that is actually the shape of modern Russia, not the USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

I like how the non-mitten part of Michigan got the Western Sahara treatment.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Quite a lot of regional voting patterns are simply down to the musical culture matching, like Ireland and the UK; whatever's popular on one island tends to be popular on the other.

Likewise, Greece and Cyprus exchanging twelves with each other is so predictable that you can hear people in the hall heckle the Cypriot/Greek representative reading out their votes.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Doesn't Eurovision also have hilarious nationalist voting patterns? I've never followed it but I could have sworn I read something about people specifically voting against their nationals rivals.

Mostly it's the opposite, countries usually get higher scores from their neighbours, including (and especially) the former Yugoslavian countries. Part of that is people driving across the border to vote for their own country though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Whoever designed that needs to be dragged to the hague

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

cebrail posted:

Mostly it's the opposite, countries usually get higher scores from their neighbours, including (and especially) the former Yugoslavian countries. Part of that is people driving across the border to vote for their own country though.

Wait. If you live in country X with a cellphone registered there, and you drive into country Y so your cellphone switches to roaming mode and then you call the eurovision number, does it just allow you to vote for country X? That seems trivial to stop since they can still see your number.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This is the first time I hear about it. People in the same voting bloc will vote for each other on their own volition, not because some elaborate phone smuggling operation that would've been impossible 20 years ago without cell phones. And also with.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That must have taken an impressive level of spite to label them as such.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

gently caress off Batman posted:

This is the first time I hear about it. People in the same voting bloc will vote for each other on their own volition, not because some elaborate phone smuggling operation that would've been impossible 20 years ago without cell phones. And also with.

The German TV station literally instructs people how to do this during the broadcast. It's not elaborate at all, it's just people living close the border driving to the other side of it.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

This! The border crossing conspiracy is insane. Croatia gave 12 points to Serbia in the televote because they are our close neighbors, friends and buddies - according to my daughter who is in on whatever TikTok and Instagram were saying during the show. I like it that way, it feels good to support our cousins across the border and leave the bad things that happened in the last century behind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's not a conspiracy

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

phonenumbers are tied to Simcards.
Phonenumbers are of different lengths, in different countries.
Phonenumbers have country code attached to them.

SniHjen fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 28, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are we still talking about Eurovision?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Are we still talking about Eurovision?

No, we're talking about maps

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

cebrail posted:

The German TV station literally instructs people how to do this during the broadcast. It's not elaborate at all, it's just people living close the border driving to the other side of it.

Please elaborate the logistics of it. Do they use austrian burner phones. Doesn't Poland care that 50% of their votes toward Germany came from a single gas station right on the border. I honestly never heard a peep about it and now I'm intrigued.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

No, you don't need a burner phone. There are no security measures or anything, the call just has to come from that country. And no, they don't care who calls them, they make money from those calls. Nobody cares for the sanctity of the ESC vote, it's a TV show not an election.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SniHjen posted:

And no one ever lives in a country other than the one they got their phone in, thus there is a foolproof system to determine the nationality of a given eurovision voter

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

cebrail posted:

No, you don't need a burner phone. There are no security measures or anything, the call just has to come from that country. And no, they don't care who calls them, they make money from those calls. Nobody cares for the sanctity of the ESC vote, it's a TV show not an election.

Apparently a lot of people do since they are still crossing the border to vote for themselves. But yeah, EBU not caring about it makes perfect sense, thanks for the answer! Will drop it now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And no one ever lives in a country other than the one they got their phone in, thus there is a foolproof system to determine the nationality of a given eurovision voter

True.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Pretty sure they have different voting phone numbers in different countries so you can just phone the Austrian number to vote for Germany and they don't really give a poo poo who calls that number.

e: 'Pretty sure' as in 'I just made this up and it sounds right to me'

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Putting extremely harsh border controls and immigration restrictions in place to protect the integrity of Eurovision

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Voting from the Schengen tripoint like a criminal.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Unkempt posted:

Pretty sure they have different voting phone numbers in different countries so you can just phone the Austrian number to vote for Germany and they don't really give a poo poo who calls that number.

e: 'Pretty sure' as in 'I just made this up and it sounds right to me'

I think they don't accept calls from outside the country.

But it's not exactly a strong filter.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Check out this classic piece that visits every 60th & 60th intersection in Queens.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Thats a great map. I wonder how Armenia seems to have snuck into Europe, Greenland into Africa, and Romania into the Northern European bloc.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SniHjen posted:

Out of idle curiosity, I tried to look up a few of the oddities on this map. I couldn't find anything on why Greenland has an African calling code, but I did discover the existence of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, which I had somehow never heard of before. Neat.

A couple of phone factoids that I did find:
  • +7 was originally the calling code for the Soviet Union, but at various points after the breakup, most of the former Soviet states dropped it like last year's fashion and got themselves new codes that fit with adjoining regions, leaving only Russia itself (and for some reason Kazakhstan) still using the +7.
  • Unsurprisingly, telephone numbers in Northern Cyprus are an extension of Turkey's system and so are in +90. However, there are apparently local workarounds that allow direct local calling across the Green Line.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My girlfriend is ethnically russian but born in Kazakhstan, in the last year that it was Kazakh SSR. Kazakhstan is apparently big on "actually the Soviet Union ruled." Sort of makes sense that they keep the soviet phone code.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
420 Call Prague Every Day

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My girlfriend is ethnically russian but born in Kazakhstan, in the last year that it was Kazakh SSR. Kazakhstan is apparently big on "actually the Soviet Union ruled." Sort of makes sense that they keep the soviet phone code.

Kazakhstan was the last country to secede from the Soviet Union iiirc

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Kazakhstan was the last country to secede from the Soviet Union iiirc

Correct, four days after Russia, but five days before South Ossetia, the last entity I have found so far to declare independence from the USSR. The USSR itself dissolved five days after that, on December 26, 1991.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Apparently a lot of people do since they are still crossing the border to vote for themselves. But yeah, EBU not caring about it makes perfect sense, thanks for the answer! Will drop it now.

Wouldn't hat imply that last year had very different voting patterns, when the borders were closed? I didn't pay attention if eurovision even happened so I wouldn't know.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

VictualSquid posted:

Wouldn't hat imply that last year had very different voting patterns, when the borders were closed? I didn't pay attention if eurovision even happened so I wouldn't know.

Yeah. That's why Ja Ja Ding Dong won the contest in Edinburgh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

[*]+7 was originally the calling code for the Soviet Union, but at various points after the breakup, most of the former Soviet states dropped it like last year's fashion and got themselves new codes that fit with adjoining regions, leaving only Russia itself (and for some reason Kazakhstan) still using the +7.

Kazakhstan was, for a brief time, the Soviet Union itself. They weren’t so eager to leave. Russia left the Union four days before Kazakhstan.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Out of idle curiosity, I tried to look up a few of the oddities on this map. I couldn't find anything on why Greenland has an African calling code, but I did discover the existence of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, which I had somehow never heard of before. Neat.

So Saint Pierre et Miquelon gets in the +5 country block because it's... Latin America? I guess from a very technical point of view, maybe it should be included in Latin America if Guadeloupe is.

I'm surprised that all the British Overseas Territories have their own country codes (even Gibraltar), but like the Azores do not. What's the point of Gibraltar getting its own country code but not like, the Channel Islands? Maybe some reason related to billing for long distance calls back when that was a bigger deal?

And Antarctic country codes are missing but apparently do exist, although maybe only on paper and not in practice, e.g. Australian Antarctica is +672 which is apparently the same as Norfolk Island which inexplicably has its own country code, while the other Australian minor outlying islands all merged with the Australian +61 years ago. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_the_Australian_Antarctic_Territory )

I can't figure out any rhyme or reason for when small, isolated bits of country get their own country code and when they do not.

I could also never figure out why some countries in Europe have 3 digits. Like Liechtenstein is +423 and gets 3 digits maybe because it only got a country code in 1999, and similar reasons for Yugoslavia and Eastern European countries, Cyprus, Malta, and Ireland. But Luxembourg and Portugal were independent since way before phones existed. Maybe Luxembourg was small enough to be part of another country's telephone exchange system and only got a number much later (e.g. Liechtenstein only got a country code in 1999; presumably Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican, were all similarly eaten by their larger neighbors), but Luxembourg and especially Portugal are real head scratchers.

The other Western European countries with 3 digit codes are true microcountries (Andorra, San Marino, Vatican, Monaco) or split off much later from other countries (Malta, Cyprus, Yugoslavian countries).

E: Apparently country codes were only allocated in the 1960s?? Way later than I would have guessed. How did international calling work before then? I guess through operators. Anyway, then it's an even bigger mystery to me that Luxembourg, Iceland, Ireland, and Portugal have 3 digits. All the other 3 digit countries were either part of a different country then (Malta -> UK; Cyprus -> Greece) or small enough that they probably didn't have a national telephone exchange anyway (Liechtenstein, Monaco, etc). And being based off population doesn't make sense either, as Portugal is/was way more populous than like, Norway or Switzerland.

E2: Alright now I'm half an hour down this rabbit hole. Apparently they thought that telephone digits should be as short as possible, thus allocating longer country code numbers to smaller countries, such that they wouldn't need as many digits for the remainder for their population. This largely bears out, with some notable exceptions, e.g. Africa only has two 2-digit countries (Egypt, South Africa). While they're among the richest and most populous since 1960, Nigeria has always been the most populous African country by a far margin, although I guess they had much lower phone connectivity than Egypt and South Africa, so I guess that wealth / expected phone connectivity also played into it.

Then Portugal doesn't get a number because they want the three digit ones to be unique and not share their first two digits, so +35 and +37 were unallocated so that they could use +350, +351, +352, etc. +38 (Yugoslavia) got sacrificed for most of the Eastern Bloc countries, and then they had to fit a few using the extra numbers in the +4xx blocks which is how Czech Republic and Slovakia and Liechtenstein got their +42x numbers, as all +3 numbers have been allocated (with Armenia randomly grabbing +374). Portugal is far smaller than any countries in the +3 block, whereas the +4 block is much smaller, so Norway lucked out.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 28, 2021

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Li(e)chtenstein was included in the Swiss +41 and is probably still reachable via that, I think they still share a common number scheme with CH.

I also remember that in the olden times ( before ~1990 or so), it was possible to reach the nearest German / French areas from CH without having to dial the country code when you were living near the border (presumably the same goes for AU/IT but I don't know).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just gonna note that them being ethnic Russian probably gives them a different perspective on this. I have ethnic Kazakh family and they have mixed opinions on the USSR and fairly negative ones on Russia.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

SniHjen posted:

This looks like it got developed and implemented pretty much at random.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kazakhstan was the last republic to leave the USSR after even Russia meaning that for a short time they were the entire USSR.

Also in 95% of Kazak voters voted for the continued existence of the Soviet Union in the 1991 referendum compared to 72% of Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kazakhstan was the last republic to leave the USSR after even Russia meaning that for a short time they were the entire USSR.

Also in 95% of Kazak voters voted for the continued existence of the Soviet Union in the 1991 referendum compared to 72% of Russians.

There could be other things they thinking about while doing that vote / opinions may have changed in the past 30 years / my family anecdote might not be as representative as I've assumed, but if the assumption people are taking is that Kazakhs are hot on Russia, I just wanna temper that a bit. The feelings don't run as raw as in e.g. Korea, but the impression I've gotten is that in a continuum from "friendly brother nations" to "oppressed subjects," Kazakhs tend to see themselves as having been closer to the latter side of things.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 28, 2021