Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aurora posted:

i'm on the edge of my seat as to who exactly is gonna save luffy. momonosuke, sanji, and marco are already far above his position so it almost has to be someone in a ship right

Vivi and Carue are back, and now he can fly.

Nuebot posted:

I really hope the explanation is just something really blatantly silly like "Oh, it turns out you can eat more fruit; the world government just made that devil stuff up to keep people from getting too strong" since, you know, if people just went around killing each other and eating all of the fruit you'd wind up with horrible people who'd eaten like all of the fruit and could just destroy everything themselves.

Maybe you only splode from a devil fruit buffet when you sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I bet the explanation for Blackbeard's multi-fruit powers is going to be something relatively simple like a secondary ability of the darkness fruit being able to 'absorb' wandering devil fruit powers without actually being able to tap into their ability, only able to transfer to different hosts. Maybe he gets one extra fruit power slot which he used on the earthquake fruit, but for everything else his darkness logia keeps it under lock and key but can only hold one fruit ability at a time or something.

Then he tells his dumb cronies to carry around a spare blank fruit and to keep a switchblade handy to shank a fucker for a quick kill. The power absorbs into the nearest fruit on hand and BLAM! new fruit user.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Chapter 1014

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Well it seems like

we're not going to get to see the Robin/Brook fight then. They just cut to them for half a panel mid-fight with battle damage so fight's over. Fingers crossed for the anime in 7 years.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Time to place bets on who saves Luffy, I guess?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kanjuro is just powering her up to fight kaido

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

DREAMIN

DONT GIVE IT UP KINEMON

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

holy moly

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
This is a slaughterfest :stonk:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

this one was a little hard to read yikes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kiku... no...

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

killing kiku off is illegal :mad:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

So much for momo to the rescue. Do we even know a non-df user who can save Luffy? Didn't think OP would end so abruptly..

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
After reading today's chapter something has been lingering in my mind. With everyone reminiscing about completely bonker theories, I am going call my shot on this one and add to the pile.

I am certain the TokiToki fruit is going to come into play. Too many pieces are being knocked off the board too quickly both for the allies (Kiku, Kanjero, Carrot,...Zeus?) and Beast Pirates (Multiple members of the sixth have being taken out without a much build up to the fight) .

The shadow at the end with the Vassals looked a lot like Hiyori and I suspect she may have inherited her mother's fruit. I think all this time being told specifically that fruit can't go back in time as a red herring. She didn't want see the Vassals before the fight and I am wondering if she may have had some knowledge of the situation and seeing them earlier would have compromised thing. This is admittedly a long shot and undoing things with Time Travel would, understandably, upset some people enjoyment of the narrative so I am more than happy to be wrong about this. Yet I keep feeling like things are happening too quickly and a fruit that powerful just disappearing after being introduced just looks like Chekhoves Gun to me

Vise the Stompy fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 28, 2021

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

No way. No backwards time travel. Please.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Cat Machine posted:

No way. No backwards time travel. Please.

Emptyquote! No backwards time travel. Please.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jesus.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Well it seems like

we're not going to get to see the Robin/Brook fight then. They just cut to them for half a panel mid-fight with battle damage so fight's over. Fingers crossed for the anime in 7 years.

Nah, that's how these things usually go. When we get the setup and cut away, we'll come back in the middle of the fight and some awkward line like Brook saying "she keeps doing X, what do we do?" Heck, we just had that pattern this week with Chopper explaining how his fight was going.

Seems like these fights are going to get added weight with the opponents rubbing in the fact that Luffy is dead, and all the Strawhats will have an opportunity to believe in him against the odds.

Sub Harrison posted:

So much for momo to the rescue. Do we even know a non-df user who can save Luffy? Didn't think OP would end so abruptly..
There is a submarine still in the area...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I still assume that the Tengu guy will save luffy. He's well fallen off the island and the other players aren't around. Tengu guy can fly, is one of the few eh....i guess i'll just go with "important"....people not even hinted to be on onigashima, but he cares about Tama and the presumed state of Wano so he's probably keeping an eye on onigashima.

Also maybe is Oden's dad?? That was a theory right, since he conspicuously shares a voice actor with him or something? I dunno if that theory ever went anywhere

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Kiku better not be actually dead Oda :mad:
I like how the Strawhats aren't all that phased at the announcement of Luffy's death. They've seen him get beaten within an inch of his life and win anyway so many times that they basically expected something like this would happen.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Kin'emon got folded like an accordion there by Kaido. Jesus Christ. :stonk:

E: Also, Kiku not having the heart to cut Kanjuuro despite seeing through his disguise actually tugged at my heartstrings. Well played, Oda.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 28, 2021

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
everything with the red scabbards is genuine gold. oda has pulled off a masterclass with this group of characters and their storyline. the patient build up from ph to now, the emotion in every page, drat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
wtf is happening with Queen's neck?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 28, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

wtf is happening with Queen's neck?

i guess the entire thing is a robot neck which umm, definitely explains the tongue cannon better at the cost of inviting like a dozen more. Like seriously, that’s sick as poo poo but why does your cyborg arm turn into your entire neck when you turn into a zoan?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Last Celebration posted:

i guess the entire thing is a robot neck which umm, definitely explains the tongue cannon better at the cost of inviting like a dozen more. Like seriously, that’s sick as poo poo but why does your cyborg arm turn into your entire neck when you turn into a zoan?

That's not how it works, the Brachiosaurus form still has a robot leg. He probably can do that with his neck in all forms.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

His veiny neck separates into chunks of meat. I'll admit even by cartoon logic standards this is bizarre.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised he has a deeper robot connection given that he looks like dr. robotnik.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 28, 2021

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Sludge-Sludge Fruit

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I thought at first that perospero's arrows turned his neck partially into candy canes.

Also kind of surprising that Chopper got a power up by doping.

The biggest overarching arc event this chapter is that Momonosuke found out from Roger's papers that he needs to be alive. So his participation in whatever One Piece is is mandatory, but it also can't be the only thing that Roger was "too soon" for given that Oden was present for it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 28, 2021

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Noh play structure with tragic third act looking likely?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

No Wave posted:

I thought at first that perospero's arrows turned his neck partially into candy canes.

Also kind of surprising that Chopper got a power up by doping.

What???? That's his entire powerset. He's always been using drugs to modify his transformations.

Also Monosuke seems to be hearing something, I assume it's gonna be related to whomever saves Luffy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Marluxia posted:

What???? That's his entire powerset. He's always been using drugs to modify his transformations.

Also Monosuke seems to be hearing something, I assume it's gonna be related to whomever saves Luffy.
But they're Caesar's drugs! The bad kind!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

queen has done the neck thing before, he has a bunch of cyborg stuff going on in both forms

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Caesar’s a piece of poo poo but he still one of the best chemists in the world.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Vise the Stompy posted:

After reading today's chapter something has been lingering in my mind. With everyone reminiscing about completely bonker theories, I am going call my shot on this one and add to the pile.

I am certain the TokiToki fruit is going to come into play. Too many pieces are being knocked off the board too quickly both for the allies (Kiku, Kanjero, Carrot,...Zeus?) and Beast Pirates (Multiple members of the sixth have being taken out without a much build up to the fight) .

The shadow at the end with the Vassals looked a lot like Hiyori and I suspect she may have inherited her mother's fruit. I think all this time being told specifically that fruit can't go back in time as a red herring. She didn't want see the Vassals before the fight and I am wondering if she may have had some knowledge of the situation and seeing them earlier would have compromised thing. This is admittedly a long shot and undoing things with Time Travel would, understandably, upset some people enjoyment of the narrative so I am more than happy to be wrong about this. Yet I keep feeling like things are happening too quickly and a fruit that powerful just disappearing after being introduced just looks like Chekhoves Gun to me

the most recent anime episode made it 100% clear that toki died 20 years ago on that night.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Did we already know 'Joy Boy' was a thing someone could "become"? That's very interesting wording from Kaido that implies he was trying to become that specific person vs. the other goals of being pirate king or reach Rafetal.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know the five act structure wasn't a given, but with everyone falling left and right and the capital about to be flattened by Onigashima, could this be the third act break? Kaido gets to declare his new kingdom officially in place, Luffy has to come back in a couple of chapters to save everyone, and the final, final battle against Kaido begins on the Wano mainland. Doesn't have to be as long as act three, it could literally just be a continuation of everything happening now with a brief pause for everyone to go "oh god we're completely hosed".

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

The World Inferno posted:

Did we already know 'Joy Boy' was a thing someone could "become"? That's very interesting wording from Kaido that implies he was trying to become that specific person vs. the other goals of being pirate king or reach Rafetal.

Very interesting wording can be totally different in the official release so take it with a grain of salt for now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kinemon rules

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Kinemon rules

Plus we've already seen him as nothing but a pair of legs before so don't count our boy out!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sub Harrison posted:

Submarine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
huh.

Yamato is running off to go help Luffy fight Kaido, but Kaido ended up coming to Momo and Shinobu. I'm getting a little pissed off that Yamato keeps getting dodged, I want to see that Zoan fruit reveal god drat it