Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

hooah posted:

For the last week or so, I've been waking up about an hour earlier than usual and have been unable to get back to sleep. As far as I'm aware, my sleep habits and environment haven't changed. I still feel kind of tired, and my eyes are gritty, but my brain just won't go back to sleep. How can I figure out how to sleep my normal amount again?

It might be the longer days too. I’ve been waking up an hour or so earlier because it gets light outside so much earlier. Maybe try some blackout curtains or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Grouchio you ask a lot of grand questions about the state of the world in here, it's kind of a strange choice of venue imo. I think it tends to work out surprisingly okay, but you just need to be aware that none of these are simple questions with straightforward or concrete answers, so don't take what you get itt as any kind of final answer per se.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grouchio posted:

My next question therefore: How can less developed countries with slightly less water scarcity than others survive the century re:climate change? The developed world must rely on the former to maintain themselves no?

that is a huge question that is, in my opinion, currently unsolved.

i think the future is rather chaotic. as food and water crises grow around the world we are going to see more societal breakdown. some of today's power structures will fragment or even crumble, others will continue to exist but in more naked and brazen forms, and the idea of "nations" as we know them today will begin to break, with both bad and good effects.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

hooah posted:

For the last week or so, I've been waking up about an hour earlier than usual and have been unable to get back to sleep. As far as I'm aware, my sleep habits and environment haven't changed. I still feel kind of tired, and my eyes are gritty, but my brain just won't go back to sleep. How can I figure out how to sleep my normal amount again?

I find there's a transition point when the weather starts getting warm where I also experience this issue. Best I can figure it is that the sun changes and I start getting hotter earlier which wakes me up. YMMV but knowing that has helped me in even doing something like moving to the cooler part of the bed which helps.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

My next question therefore: How can less developed countries with slightly less water scarcity than others survive the century re:climate change? The developed world must rely on the former to maintain themselves no?

I think it’s very important to also realize that the developed world doesn’t depend on the developing world in any way that an individual can relate to. Like, I depend on the functioning brakes of the car I’m driving to keep me safe. I depend on the supply chain to deliver food to a place I can get it. Stuff like that.

The western economy as a gestalt doesn’t “depend on” the periphery in the same way, because the periphery is very much a creation of the western economy. This relationship is almost exactly the same for the consumer. You and I are creations of the system just as much as the special economic zones of Mexico are, but it would be idiotic to suggest that the system and the metropole of “the west” depends on us.

I think this is important because liberals love to frame the global south as a market problem or some other loving side effect like CFC emissions or something. This is a misunderstanding or a lie, depending on the source. The global south and north are just the way the system works. The former grows while the latter contracts and this is capital working as intended.

To get at the question directly, I’d say that the “solution” for water scarcity will be exactly the same as the solution for, say, the “labour scarcity” that we saw in Canada at the beginning of NAFTA. Capital will simply make new hinterlands by consolidating wealth. Right now you and I are probably in the metropole of this system, but that poo poo changes quickly and it looks like the growth of slave labour using the carceral system or the ongoing genocide of Indigenous peoples everywhere. If you want to understand how this looks for water, look at the boil water advisory communities in the Canadian north. Or Flint, Michigan. This is probably your future as well.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 28, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I'll try the diphenhydramine. Falling asleep at night isn't an issue (at least not yet), so I don't see melatonin helping much.

Diphenhydramine and other first-gen antihistamines have what's called a "hangover effect" that just makes you feel mildly crappy in the morning. May not be worth the extra sleep.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 28, 2021

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Grouchio posted:

The US is going to Anschluss Canada (harder) for fresh water before central america. don't worry

(the joke is that canada is undeveloped)

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 28, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Water is a very regional issue. For a US based example, the US as a whole will not have net water scarcity (great lakes), but regions of it likely will (most of the US west). And it's not easy to just ship massive amounts of water across long distances. People talk about a great lakes -> west pipeline sometimes, i won't say it'll never happen but it would be insanely expensive and huge project, and it's much more likely that farming/irrigation in much of the US west will become untenable, and will shift eastward and/or northward. The US is very large and varied, so imagine each state is a poor country and imagine how that might play out.

My point here is conflict will be because of either general destabilization/desperation, or over wetter farmland. It won't be for grabbing water itself (with the exception being conflict with countries directly upriver of you).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

When I miss a meal, I tend to get really irritable before I get hungry or tired. Why? What is it about food that messes up my mood so badly?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

StrixNebulosa posted:

When I miss a meal, I tend to get really irritable before I get hungry or tired. Why? What is it about food that messes up my mood so badly?

Just googled "why angry before hungry" and a lot of articles use the word "hangry". It seems like the body's response to manage dropping blood sugar levels involves things (cortisol and adrenaline) that could make one irritable, but the degree of the effect depends on the person.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The way I understand it, there's sort of a two-hit combo with regards to 'hangry'.

1) Your brain uses a lot of sugar as fuel. Something like a quarter to a third of your total energy budget is used up by the brain. When your blood sugar drops your brain has less fuel, so its performance drops and it gets worse at regulating things, including your emotions.
2) The hormones that are released when you're hungry also can trigger stress and anxiety reactions.

Some people are affected by these things more than others and the effects these things have can vary day to day, depending on all sorts of factors like how stressed you've been, how well rested you are, etc, etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dirby posted:

Just googled "why angry before hungry" and a lot of articles use the word "hangry". It seems like the body's response to manage dropping blood sugar levels involves things (cortisol and adrenaline) that could make one irritable, but the degree of the effect depends on the person.

Thanks!

Well I can explain the extreme reaction, my time of month is ending so I'm extra liable to be mad at things. Couple that with a missing lunch and welp.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Khizan posted:

The way I understand it, there's sort of a two-hit combo with regards to 'hangry'.

1) Your brain uses a lot of sugar as fuel. Something like a quarter to a third of your total energy budget is used up by the brain. When your blood sugar drops your brain has less fuel, so its performance drops and it gets worse at regulating things, including your emotions.
2) The hormones that are released when you're hungry also can trigger stress and anxiety reactions.

Some people are affected by these things more than others and the effects these things have can vary day to day, depending on all sorts of factors like how stressed you've been, how well rested you are, etc, etc.

Related question that also has to do with my huge ego: I eat a lot. I don't exercise a lot (i ride a bike to work, that's it). I'm pretty skinny. I also have a gigantic head. Does this mean that I use a ton of energy keeping my giant brain running, making me super smart able to think way too deep about Star Trek?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Related question that also has to do with my huge ego: I eat a lot. I don't exercise a lot (i ride a bike to work, that's it). I'm pretty skinny. I also have a gigantic head. Does this mean that I use a ton of energy keeping my giant brain running, making me super smart able to think way too deep about Star Trek?

I'm no doctor, but as I see it you got two options:

1. Your resting metabolic rate is higher than average, for whatever reason. This doesn't necessarily mean your brain is what's consuming the energy, and even if it did, just because your brain's doing a lot of work doesn't mean that you're smarter than other folks.

2. You're not extracting all the energy from the food you eat. Some of it's just going into the toilet for whatever reason.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to tell how long threads stay live after their last post? I'm pretty sure this varies by subforum. Alternatively, is there a better place than this to ask about arcane forums minutiae?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Where would be the best thread for an "identify this bug for me" post?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Critterquest thread usually works for this. Or, heck, probably in here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Human Tornada posted:

Reddit.com/r/whatsthisbug because as much as I prefer this forum, Reddit has a lot more eyeballs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe a weird place to ask, but what's up with these dots and boxes surrounding my babbie python code in Sublime Text 3? MacOS if that matters.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

tuyop posted:

Maybe a weird place to ask, but what's up with these dots and boxes surrounding my babbie python code in Sublime Text 3? MacOS if that matters.

Almost certainly telling you python style violations. Hover over it.

Also use pycharm instead

https://github.com/google/yapf and set up a git commit hook using this to format your stuff before it gets commit.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 29, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

YggiDee posted:

The Critterquest thread usually works for this. Or, heck, probably in here.

Platystemon posted:

Reddit.com/r/whatsthisbug because as much as I prefer this forum, Reddit has a lot more eyeballs.

Show us the cool bug

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://imgur.com/H3oozMA

what substance is being hit?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Looks like a red hot ball bearing

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is it possible to increase the height of an office chair beyond the max? just a small amount, no more than an inch.

For ergonomic purposes I really only need another half inch (I added a seat pad which helped, but doesn't get me all the way)

It looks like the most common pneumatic cylinder is just over 7.5" which goes into the chair base, and then you have a travel which is what the chair goes up and down on.

Within this 7.68 inch cylinder group, there is a bit of variability.

https://www.chairpartsonline.com/chrome-office-chair-gas-lift-cylinder-3-75-travel-free-shipping-s6209/ 3.75"

https://www.chairpartsonline.com/standard-height-office-chair-gas-lift-cylinder-4-25-travel-free-shipping-s6222-r/ 4.25"

I'm pretty sure I'll have to take out the cylinder to check, but the range of heights on mine is 16-19", so 3". Obviously some of the travel part goes into the seat, so if it's a 3.75" "travel" perhaps I could get the 4.25" one and that would be enough.

I've also heard you can take a small square piece of wood (like <1" high), drill holes in it, and then get new screws so it goes in between the seat and the plate that you screw on.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Can you just get taller casters/feet? Might be easier.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
What about a piece of plywood or two under the chair?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Sit on a pillow

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to see what they say, I found out that the cylinder is sinking 1/2" when I sit on the chair, probably just due to wear and tear, so if I can get that replaced that might solve my issue. Otherwise I am adding stuff under my seat pad for now, like a pillow or blanket.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Does anyone know why flung boogers are so loud? I can flick one across the room and hear it hit the wall

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Probably because there are no human beings anywhere near you for obvious reasons so there's no background noise.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Feral Integral posted:

Does anyone know why flung boogers are so loud? I can flick one across the room and hear it hit the wall

I'm going to guess two three things:

1) You live alone or otherwise basically unsupervised

2) Your room is probably fairly empty of stuff, so when something hits the wall there's not much to absorb the sound, so it seems loud. Possibly hard floors, and no posters, though good to know you probably wouldn't need sticky-tack to keep them up.

3) You could probably get a similar volume from any other similarly sized/density item, so the fact that it's a booger probably has no bearing.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
What's a good device I could buy to detect EMF radiation? I'm trying to detect household sources and cell tower 4G/5G radiation if possible.

Apparently the common amateur ones on Amazon, according to reviewers, can't detect cell towers. (I'm not going full paranoid about cell radiation, but I do want to detect it and see it for myself.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Christoph posted:

What's a good device I could buy to detect EMF radiation? I'm trying to detect household sources and cell tower 4G/5G radiation if possible.

Apparently the common amateur ones on Amazon, according to reviewers, can't detect cell towers. (I'm not going full paranoid about cell radiation, but I do want to detect it and see it for myself.)

Your cell phone.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

hooah posted:

Your cell phone.

Is this cleverposting or are you suggesting an app?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Christoph posted:

In settings -> status I get cell signal strength in dBm on my stock Android phone.

You can probably get better data from an app but you get a meaningful number from your cell easily.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have recommendations for non-cardboard eclipse glasses I can give to my kids to wear? I would like some sort of goggles with a strap so they can be secured to their heads and not fall off while they're staring directly at the sun. Basically, swim goggles with eclipse lenses would be perfect.

I realise this will be a lot more expensive than the $5~ disposable ones that are sold out before every major eclipse, but it's my kids' eyes, I'd rather pay extra for the peace of mind.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Christoph posted:

Use https://www.cellmapper.net (and the app), it's a crowdsourced thing and let's you use your phone to identify nearby towers and stuff. It's legit, I used to work with the guy who made it, and he's a good dude (and security paranoid, he's not scamming people or anything, just a fun nerdy project).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Memento posted:

Anyone have recommendations for non-cardboard eclipse glasses I can give to my kids to wear? I would like some sort of goggles with a strap so they can be secured to their heads and not fall off while they're staring directly at the sun. Basically, swim goggles with eclipse lenses would be perfect.

I realise this will be a lot more expensive than the $5~ disposable ones that are sold out before every major eclipse, but it's my kids' eyes, I'd rather pay extra for the peace of mind.

I live on the line of totality for the 2024 eclipse, so I've been looking at this stuff lately myself. I'd rather buy a few years in advance and stick them in a drawer somewhere than miss the eclipse because I waited too long to find something that works for me. I have an especially hard time with this because I wear eyeglasses and I have a giant head that nothing ever fits properly.

The American Astronomical Society has a list of vendors here. One of them might have something appropriate, but with the exception of Rainbow Symphony, most of them seem very heavy on cardboard glasses and telescope products.

Shade 14 welding glass is also appropriate for viewing solar eclipses, so you could maybe go with cheap welding goggles with replaceable lenses, and source shade 14 lenses through a reputable dealer so you know you're not getting a resold Alibaba knockoff. This is probably what I'm going to do myself.

Similarly, some places that sell protective eyewear sell eclipse glasses made from shade 14 welding glass, like this: https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/phillips-welding-glasses-with-black-frame-and-shade-14-lens/.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shade 12 is also safe but perhaps uncomfortably bright.

Shade 13 is said to be the best, but it’s uncommon.

Not goggles, but these plastic glasses are better than cardboard.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Khizan posted:

I live on the line of totality for the 2024 eclipse, so I've been looking at this stuff lately myself. I'd rather buy a few years in advance and stick them in a drawer somewhere than miss the eclipse because I waited too long to find something that works for me. I have an especially hard time with this because I wear eyeglasses and I have a giant head that nothing ever fits properly.

The American Astronomical Society has a list of vendors here. One of them might have something appropriate, but with the exception of Rainbow Symphony, most of them seem very heavy on cardboard glasses and telescope products.

Shade 14 welding glass is also appropriate for viewing solar eclipses, so you could maybe go with cheap welding goggles with replaceable lenses, and source shade 14 lenses through a reputable dealer so you know you're not getting a resold Alibaba knockoff. This is probably what I'm going to do myself.

Similarly, some places that sell protective eyewear sell eclipse glasses made from shade 14 welding glass, like this: https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/phillips-welding-glasses-with-black-frame-and-shade-14-lens/.

Yeah we're planning a trip to Western Australia to see the April 2023 eclipse, by which time my kids will be 7 and 9, which is old enough to be able to have the risks explained to them, but not so old I would still trust them to stare at the sun and be responsible for their own safety.

I like those Phillips ones, I might order one for myself now to check out how dark the sun goes.

Platystemon posted:

Shade 12 is also safe but perhaps uncomfortably bright.

Shade 13 is said to be the best, but it’s uncommon.

Not goggles, but these plastic glasses are better than cardboard.

Cheers, I've seen conflicting information about how 13 is too light and even with 14 you can hurt yourself, or that 13 is perfect and 14 is too dark to see anything.