Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

`Nemesis posted:

how is his name tape and poo poo backwards but the paper text oriented correctly?

Mirrors and other Hollywood tricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

`Nemesis posted:

how is his name tape and poo poo backwards but the paper text oriented correctly?

He might be smarter than the joke implies.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Godholio posted:

He might be smarter than the joke implies.

i figured it would of been easier to film it not reversed instead of writing it backwards (or it was edited? idk), just curious really

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

does tiktok even let you switch the reversing thing?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm glad they didn't because he fine and now I get to have a weird convo with my wife.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The other pages appear to be him practicing his backwards writing.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
lol there's nothing goons do better than overanalyze a simple joke

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

At Dragon Con a few years ago, I overheard a serviceman in uniform being chewed out by an officer for wearing his uniform to a convention. "Your uniform is not a costume, don't disrespect it by bringing it here" etc.
The guy was trying to keep a straight face, and when I told my father (a retired Lt Col), he laughed and said that it was all fine as long as the guy cleared it with his CO. The angry officer was completely out of line

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Unless that officer was in uniform (which, lol), I'd have told him to get hosed. A buzzcut doesn't make you an officer, and I don't know you from dick. These namepatches aren't even mine. I bought this at a thrift store. Eat a bag of dicks

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Only way this story could be better is if it was some cosplay dork and not a real serviceman.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

GD_American posted:

Unless that officer was in uniform (which, lol), I'd have told him to get hosed. A buzzcut doesn't make you an officer, and I don't know you from dick. These namepatches aren't even mine. I bought this at a thrift store. Eat a bag of dicks

"Yo, lighten up Eisenhower, I took this from the closet of the guy whose wife I'm banging. I'll give it back tonight when I dig in for round 2. Hope he doesn't mind my wang banging around in here though, I free ball because his wife really makes me work up a sweat"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I sometimes think there should be a reverse stolen valor thing where civilians wear incorrect uniforms in public to catfish rear end in a top hat officers like that guy.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

nah anyone going to a convention in uniform is a loving dork

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What if they're in the Space Force, though? Then they fit right in, right?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PookBear posted:

nah anyone going to a convention in uniform is a loving dork

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man I only get to wear my old WW2 gear like once a year and I still get people thanking me for service.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Plot twist: It's pea-dot camo, worn in the south.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh. Oh good.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
JFC

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Does viewing / sharing that link count as spreading classified / sensitive information around?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:stonklol:

If anyone wants another dose of existential horror, the entire book “Command and Control” would be some prime reading right now :haw:

e: has anyone checked on OPSEC WIZARD lately? Their BAC is probably catastrophic right now.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 28, 2021

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

amazing. so many heads should roll for this but i bet only a few enlisted get the shaft from it

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So...between the running apps debacle and this latest embarrassment, we’ve got base layouts and nuclear secrets spilled. Sounds like the army and air force are leading the charge on idiocy, I wonder when and how the marines or navy are going to try and catch up?

e: from 3 years ago, but I bet there’s a really fun* cross-reference to made there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/28/fitness-tracking-app-gives-away-location-of-secret-us-army-bases

*fun not guaranteed

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 28, 2021

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

If anyone wants another dose of existential horror, the entire book “Command and Control” would be some prime reading right now :haw:

e: has anyone checked on OPSEC WIZARD lately? Their BAC is probably catastrophic right now.

Even OPSEC WIZARD should get to enjoy their 72 my guy

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Icon Of Sin posted:

So...between the running apps debacle and this latest embarrassment, we’ve got base layouts and nuclear secrets spilled. Sounds like the army and air force are leading the charge on idiocy, I wonder when and how the marines or navy are going to try and catch up?

We just draw dicks in the sky, man.

e: there was a guy on a nuclear missile sub who took pictures of secure areas with his cell phone a few years ago, so I suppose there's that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Seen someone get fired from an FBO job for taking naked pictures of his GF inside some Important Person’s private jet, that’s gotta count for something.

Although I liked the engineer on a ship who tweeted a picture of an inventory spreadsheet, which is dumb but harmless, except he didn’t crop out the post it on the edge of the monitor.

The post it with the username and password.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I'm sure the marines will somehow get caught smuggling strippers into space with help from space farce eventually

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wingnut Ninja posted:

We just draw dicks in the sky, man.

e: there was a guy on a nuclear missile sub who took pictures of secure areas with his cell phone a few years ago, so I suppose there's that.

Didn't he get pardoned or something?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Icon Of Sin posted:

Seconding this reccomendation, I've been reading C&C and less than a hundred pages in I'm convinced it was an act of god that the world survived the cold war.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Liquid Communism posted:

Seconding this reccomendation, I've been reading C&C and less than a hundred pages in I'm convinced it was an act of god that the world survived the cold war.

A cruel, cruel god.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Space Marines won't happen until you can lease a capsule at 30% APR with a 10k/yr mileage allowance

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd love to read a book from the Soviet side of things. I can only imagine what a conscript military got up to.

Spoilered because I'm not sure if you're up to it yet, this is my favourite* story from C&C

"List of Cold War pilot defections - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cold_War_pilot_defections

*:stonklol:

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 29, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Memento posted:

I'd love to read a book from the Soviet side of things. I can only imagine what a conscript military got up to.

I think the Soviet equivalent is the book "the dead hand" but I can't say how much of it is Soviet political :stonk: and how much is conscript hijinks

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

C&C is proof that mankind should have never been able to develop nukes.

The sheer amount of times life was nearly exterminated because "lol. military." Before reading it, I thought the military had a pretty solid grasp over keeping us alive from enlisted.txt.

Turns out, it was pure stupid, dumb loving luck.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, and to think we've probably heard *maybe* 5-10% of what went wrong behind the Iron Curtain with regards to *their* special weapons stewardship.

Or the UK and Yellow Sun, the bomb where the safety was 133,000 steel ball bearings held in by a stopper, and when the ball bearings were removed, the bomb was dangerously unsafe due to the amount of fissile material packed into each one.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 29, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or the UK and Yellow Sun, the bomb where the safety was 133,000 steel ball bearings held in by a stopper, and when the ball bearings were removed, the bomb was dangerously unsafe due to the amount of fissile material packed into each one.

lol

This website has some information and is charmingly archaic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Ivy King bomb was a one-megaton pure fission bomb and had a boron chain in the middle that had to be pulled out to arm the bomb or it could easily have gone high-order in the event of a plane crash or just a stern glare.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Let’s increase the risk we accidentally detonate this by a hundredfold in exchange for making the Russkies ten percent deader in the event of the unthinkable.”

“Good thinking, Jim. Let’s break open the drinks globe.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

C&C is proof that mankind should have never been able to develop nukes.

The sheer amount of times life was nearly exterminated because "lol. military." Before reading it, I thought the military had a pretty solid grasp over keeping us alive from enlisted.txt.

Turns out, it was pure stupid, dumb loving luck.

I'm solidly convinced that bureaucratic inertia is the only thing that kept us safe. Transitioning to a post atomic holocaust world is change, and everyone hates change.