Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I got the Skil ($279 right now at Lowe's) last week week because I snapped and decided I was done paying a lawn guy, and I'm delighted with it so far.but I have a feeling I'd say that about any electric mower these days? What was keeping me on paying somebody was years of memories of slinging around a filthy heavy all metal mower and these things are just so light and easy and fold up compact.

The blower I got is really nice, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
TIL people can tell the difference between 3.75 and 4” high grass.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elysium posted:

TIL people can tell care about the difference between 3.75 and 4” high grass.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Elysium posted:

TIL people can tell the difference between 3.75 and 4” high grass.

I have fresh TTTF/KBG sod in one part of my lawn and can absolutely tell :colbert:

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 28, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Longer is better for the most part, it's a functional tool spec :shrug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Until you get real far down the rabbit hole of reel mowers and want to cut it at 5/8” :gizz:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Turf grass is a colossal waste of every conceivable resource and should simply be torn out and replaced

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bloody posted:

Turf grass is a colossal waste of every conceivable resource and should simply be torn out and replaced

Thank you for your helpful response on the tool thread. You're so brave to let us know how you feel about this issue.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Motronic posted:

Thank you for your helpful response on the tool thread. You're so brave to let us know how you feel about this issue.

"What's the best mower for my eco lawn" would have been much more subtle.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Until you get real far down the rabbit hole of reel mowers and want to cut it at 5/8” :gizz:

My wife would accuse me of trying to build a putting green instead of a lawn

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Motronic posted:

happy to help! lets talk about tools for ripping out turf grass, because doing it with a shovel by hand sucks

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Big fan of my Greenworks 40v cultivator for tearing up some grass and weeds in my garden.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bloody posted:

happy to help! lets talk about tools for ripping out turf grass, because doing it with a shovel by hand sucks

A diesel tractor or skid steer.

Do you even realize that in large areas of the country you don't need to irrigate turf grass and it serves to both stabilize soil and preserve soil moisture? It's even.....get this.....NATIVE to those areas.

I'm assuming you live somewhere in the bay area reality distortion field and don't realize other places and climates exist.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Motronic posted:

Do you even realize that in large areas of the country you don't need to irrigate turf grass and it serves to both stabilize soil and preserve soil moisture? It's even.....get this.....NATIVE to those areas.

I'm assuming you live somewhere in the bay area reality distortion field and don't realize other places and climates exist.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
To be fair, at this point you both seem like tools.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Heh.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Literally A Person posted:

To be fair, at this point you both seem like tools.

Thread title

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

yeah that's title worthy

If you want to get rid of turf, just throw out native wildflowers or legumes that are drought hardy and fast growing and the turf will be gone soon.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

To lump all the many varieties and uses of turfgrasses over a wide range of climactic conditions into one box called ‘bad’ is ignorant at best, but please confine arguments about the merits of turfgrasses to any of the several threads we have about grass and stuff. If you hate grass, I suggest the horticulture thread (but some of us like grass there too), if you love grass try the landscaping thread, if you want to smoke grass try the hydroponics thread or TCC or BYOB and if you want to eat grass try the gardening thread.

Toolchat:
Best tool to get rid of grass is a backpack sprayer full of DEADLY ROUNDUP CANCERJUICE. Or a really sharp square spade and some good knee pads.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Planting kudzu gets rid of most grass if you give it a lil time. Works great, though I wouldn't recommend a square shovel to plant it. Probably just a regular ol' spade.

E: for actual tool chat, I'm trying to keep an eye out for deals on sockets and/or ratchets separate or together, idc. Just 3/8 drive is fine, I rarely need 1/2 drive and will borrow it from the shop if I need it. Don't even know how much I want to spend but I know I'll need em at some point.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 29, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Do you have a habitat for humanity restore near you. I can always seem to find good wrenches and sockets there.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The BIG socket wrenches are like 5 bucks and if you check there every now and then you can find some pretty nice stuff.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sash! posted:

My wife would accuse me of trying to build a putting green instead of a lawn

I see no downside.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Literally A Person posted:

Do you have a habitat for humanity restore near you. I can always seem to find good wrenches and sockets there.

I do but the few times I've been there I've never actually seen any tools. It's like 20 of the same countertops, doors, china cabinets, some buckets of spackle.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rotten Cookies posted:

I do but the few times I've been there I've never actually seen any tools. It's like 20 of the same countertops, doors, china cabinets, some buckets of spackle.

Whoa. So, uh, I guess not then...

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

It's also possible that they do get tools in, but that people snatch then up like vultures.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rotten Cookies posted:

It's also possible that they do get tools in, but that people snatch then up like vultures.

:sweatdrop:

Oh yeah sorry about that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Rotten Cookies posted:

for actual tool chat, I'm trying to keep an eye out for deals on sockets and/or ratchets separate or together, idc. Just 3/8 drive is fine, I rarely need 1/2 drive and will borrow it from the shop if I need it. Don't even know how much I want to spend but I know I'll need em at some point.

Costco has a pretty decent DeWalt set for $100 which includes wrenches, hex wrenches, 1/4 3/8 and 1/2" socket wrenches plus lots of sockets. Both standard and metric. If I were on a budget and needed a set of homeowners tools, it would be really difficult to beat that. I can't find it on their website but they always have it in my store.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Replace all lawns with minigolf courses.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

If it's like the restore near me they can't be bothered to sort through the tool boxes people donate and just chuck the whole thing in the metal dumpster behind the store.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I see no downside.

She's said no to it the first 50 times I've said we should do it, so I'm still on the fence about doing it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

If it's like the restore near me they can't be bothered to sort through the tool boxes people donate and just chuck the whole thing in the metal dumpster behind the store.

Wow, didn't know words could cause physical pain.

Wonder what their dumpster diving policy is

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rotten Cookies posted:

A good pair of bolt cutters (fiskars $39.99) means you make your own policy.

please don't do this

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trip report on the Ryobi 40v 18 inch chainsaw:

I did a dozen cuts with it today, approx, and I'm pleased so far. It's quick, stable, relatively quiet (I could hear the gas chainsaw two lots down over the chainsaw in my own hands) and cuts well out of the box. I had a 6A battery in it and by the end of my cutting it still had two pips on it.

I also played around with a Husquavarna 14 inch battery powered chainsaw of some sort too and it seemed to be decent as well.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Planting kudzu gets rid of most grass if you give it a lil time. Works great, though I wouldn't recommend a square shovel to plant it. Probably just a regular ol' spade.

E: for actual tool chat, I'm trying to keep an eye out for deals on sockets and/or ratchets separate or together, idc. Just 3/8 drive is fine, I rarely need 1/2 drive and will borrow it from the shop if I need it. Don't even know how much I want to spend but I know I'll need em at some point.

Tekton is a solid choice too. I don’t think they do deals too often, but their prices aren’t bad. You’d probably be just fine with anything here: https://www.tekton.com/hand-drive-sockets?individual-set=set&drive-size=3-8-in

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I really am sad my mower I bought last year is gas. I discounted electric due to the experience I had when I was a kid 20+ years ago pushing that bogging down black and decker mower.

I also would like electric power washer tech to catch up it seems like electric isn't quite there because nothing seems to have the same lower and flow as the gas ones. When my craftsman mower dies or in 3-5 year I will 100% go to electric / battery mowers

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

nitsuga posted:

Tekton is a solid choice too. I don’t think they do deals too often, but their prices aren’t bad. You’d probably be just fine with anything here: https://www.tekton.com/hand-drive-sockets?individual-set=set&drive-size=3-8-in

You can sometimes get Tekton stuff for relatively cheap on Amazon. I'll vouch for it as definitely being good. I'm not a mechanic so my tools don't see daily use, but I use my tools a reasonable amount and I abuse the hell out of them. The Tekton stuff I have has all held up really well, even when I'm smashing on it with a mallet. They're high quality for the price, and probably better quality than necessary for anything that isn't your day job.

That said, there's nothing wrong with watching for a good deal on Husky, Craftsman, DeWalt, or Kobalt sets. You can get a ton of poo poo for not much money and it's not like most of it is going to break under normal use. High-quality tools are kind of a waste of money if you're just doing occasional repairs and things like brake jobs or oil changes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

You can sometimes get Tekton stuff for relatively cheap on Amazon. I'll vouch for it as definitely being good. I'm not a mechanic so my tools don't see daily use, but I use my tools a reasonable amount and I abuse the hell out of them. The Tekton stuff I have has all held up really well, even when I'm smashing on it with a mallet. They're high quality for the price, and probably better quality than necessary for anything that isn't your day job.

That said, there's nothing wrong with watching for a good deal on Husky, Craftsman, DeWalt, or Kobalt sets. You can get a ton of poo poo for not much money and it's not like most of it is going to break under normal use. High-quality tools are kind of a waste of money if you're just doing occasional repairs and things like brake jobs or oil changes.

I have the Kobalt mechanics set.. and when it goes on sale for $99 (even at current 149 it seems decent)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-250-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-in-4-Drawer-Case/5001920933

It'll give you enough of what you need, and if you need anything else just supplement (I bought a breaker bar for stubborn bolts)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tater_salad posted:

I have the Kobalt mechanics set.. and when it goes on sale for $99 (even at current 149 it seems decent)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-250-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-in-4-Drawer-Case/5001920933

It'll give you enough of what you need, and if you need anything else just supplement (I bought a breaker bar for stubborn bolts)

The Craftsman version went on sale for $99 recently but it’s currently out of stock

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-232-Piece-3-Drawer-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/5000183143

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

The one by me is a big open top roll away deal.
They don't give a poo poo about anything they throw out.
I have a number of things that are perfectly usable I've fished out of it hand tools, power tools, tool boxes, you name it.