Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
good chapter scary too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
It's gotta be the Sea Kings, right? We know they're tied up somehow in the whole Joy Boy/prophecy thing, and it would totally fit with Shirahoshi being able to hear them under similar conditions at Fishman Island. They'll rescue Luffy and at the very least throw him ashore.

jassa fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 28, 2021

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

jassa posted:

It's gotta be the Sea Kings, right? We know they're tied up somehow in the whole Joy Boy/prophecy thing, and it would totally fit with Shirahoshi being able to hear them under similar conditions at Fishman Island.

yeah it could very well be.. Luffy can hear the Sea Kings, Momo also has the perception of the voice of all things. The Sea Kings generally stay in the calm belt and the deep ocean though don't they? Plus they typically don't go out of their way to help out humans, I don't know if it makes much sense for one of them to save an unconscious Luffy.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Obviously it's going to be the octopus that hijacked their boat at the start of the arc to thank Luffy for giving him a ride.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This seems to be the most likely method of saving Luffy given that Law has already pawned off cross-blunt Zoro to Sanji, he's still very close to that floating island and half the stealth invasion was delivered via sub.

Bonus points that Law is THE medical doctor of the series, gives him time to help patch up Luffy a bit before the final showdown.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

my money is on Marco imbuing Luffy with some Phoenix fire for a quick rebound after kaido completely wrecks everyone.
Then Yamato+ Luffy go back in to dunk kaido.
I would bet heavily against time fruit shenanigans saving them here, this arc is so much more powerful if the scabbards suffer heavy losses in exchange for taking out kaido.
I’m still not sure how big mom is going to be resolved, she is literally untouched at this point and is still loving everything up

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Is Kaido implying that the reason Luffy lost was because he's still inexperienced at using Conquerer's haki with his gomu gomu techniques? Or is he just looking down on Luffy's techniques/fruit in general. In the previous chapter where he was brawling with Kaido after figuring out CoC, it looked like Luffy was just using normal punches and kicks albeit they were infused with CoC.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
Kaido did mention that Luffy tried a Gomu Gomu no attack with the Conquerors but he didn't specify what it was called

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yum posted:

Is Kaido implying that the reason Luffy lost was because he's still inexperienced at using Conquerer's haki with his gomu gomu techniques? Or is he just looking down on Luffy's techniques/fruit in general. In the previous chapter where he was brawling with Kaido after figuring out CoC, it looked like Luffy was just using normal punches and kicks albeit they were infused with CoC.

I kind of took that to be potentially teasing a new technique.. like Luffy tried to pull some gomu gomu move on Kaido, probably infused with conquerors haki, but it either didn't work because of his inexperience or he was interrupted before he could get it off.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I was disappointed earlier that the 5 v 2 fight ended so abruptly and rolling my eyes in the back of my head at the idea of Luffy beating Kaido 1 v 1 at the time, nice to see my expectations subverted. Still a pretty dark couple of chapters, considering.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kinemon nooo! Goddamnit this is heartwrenching and exhausting, it doesn't feel like failure is an option here with Onigashima threatening a mass-murder drop slam, but all the possible turnabout are getting literally killed off one by one. Just hoping this isn't ending in failure and being act 3 out 5, because we've already done the whole 'mounting an insurrection against impossible odds' bit. Maybe it ends with failure and everybody getting the hell out of a conquered Wano with Kaido and Big Mom right behind? That feels extremely bleak for One Piece standards though.

I'm putting my money on Luffy getting saved and launched back up snake road, there are multiple options for that including Jimbei hopping off the edge and water-fisting him up. Also Momonosuke and Yamato seem to be sitting on information that could turn things around.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 28, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I know the five act structure wasn't a given, but with everyone falling left and right and the capital about to be flattened by Onigashima, could this be the third act break? Kaido gets to declare his new kingdom officially in place, Luffy has to come back in a couple of chapters to save everyone, and the final, final battle against Kaido begins on the Wano mainland. Doesn't have to be as long as act three, it could literally just be a continuation of everything happening now with a brief pause for everyone to go "oh god we're completely hosed".

Yeah, this is the vibe that I'm getting, this is the real conclusion and tragedy of act 3, and then we get a proper act 4 in the flower capital and a final rematch vs kaido.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Aurubin posted:

I was disappointed earlier that the 5 v 2 fight ended so abruptly and rolling my eyes in the back of my head at the idea of Luffy beating Kaido 1 v 1 at the time, nice to see my expectations subverted. Still a pretty dark couple of chapters, considering.

ONE ON ONE, ALWAYS BET ON KAIDO :shepface:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While Luffy surviving is a given (he’s been in situations like this more than once after all), I am kind of curious if he’s still going to be the one to ultimately defeat Kaido on his own or if it’ll be more of a group effort.

I’m also curious what’s going to happen with Law after all this (since defeating Kaido would complete the terms of their alliance). That is, whether they’re just going to go their separate ways or if the Heart Pirates will wind up joining the Armada or something.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Does Law actually want to defeat Kaido or is this recompense for Doflamingo? Can't remember. Not suggesting anything, just that the Dressrosa arc was like a decade ago.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aurubin posted:

Does Law actually want to defeat Kaido or is this recompense for Doflamingo? Can't remember. Not suggesting anything, just that the Dressrosa arc was like a decade ago.

You're making me realize I caught up during the second half of Dressrosa, and that was seven years ago.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Arist posted:

You're making me realize I caught up during the tail end of Dressrosa, and that was seven years ago.
what the fuuuuuuck

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i caught up during marineford

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Aurora posted:

i caught up during marineford

I think Marineford in the anime was on tv when i was in late elementary / middle school. Approaching my thirties now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kinemon was introduced over 9 years ago

656 - 1014 rest in power

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Aurubin posted:

I think Marineford in the anime was on tv when i was in late elementary / middle school. Approaching my thirties now.

the first current weekly chapter for me was 329, in highschool

we're a bit beyond that now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the last anime scene i remember watching as part of kaizoku fansub torrents was when franky is attacking them in water 7 and they wonder if he has a devil fruit. jumping over to the manga must have come shortly after that

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Aurubin posted:

He does actually want to defeat Kaido, Doflamingo was his revenge storyline, but that was all within the bracket of his initial plan to take down Kaido back in Punk Hazard. As far as I can tell he's one of those Supernovas who wants to make a name for himself, and as he explains in early Dressrosa the only way to go through the New World is you either serve under the Emperors or beat them. And then post-Marineford there's that dialogue about how he'll take the proper throne when the time comes.

---

Chapter(s):

This was really good and dramatic. Kin'emon looks PULVERIZED, that's a really bad injury with basically no way out for Kin'emon. That's just a few notches shy of Kaido's Ragnarok attack, which is one of the highest damaging single target attacks we've ever seen in the series. Is there a guarantee anyone's dead, hell no, but people do die in this series when memes are set aside. Kiku or Kin could be dead, especially since someone already died in the arc. But there's no reason to count anybody out too quick 'cause there are healers around. But I mean the real reason I know the good guys are hosed is, as odd as it sounds, King has just kind of been getting the "keep him occupied" treatment from Oda, and if there's anything we learned from WCI, it's *do not* underestimate First Yonkou Commanders. King's probably not long from doing heavy work on the alliance and helping Kaido clean up the mess. What makes this tricky though is a fight with Marco does work aesthetically with King, so we'll see.

Haven't commented on the recent chapters, but not for lack of love, Rooftop Piece contained some of my favorite chapters in the series, especially 1010. I didn't think they were ALL volume 100 material but my expectations for this series are sky high.

Heavy injuries are really mounting up everywhere for the good guy alliance, it very much looks like we're about to get a full defeat then reset at Wano. The longer we stay in Wano, the harder the struggle is, the happier I am because this arc is responsible for carrying so much of the New World in theory, and I mean right after this we're on a fast track to the end.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Demonicpoodle posted:

This was really good and dramatic. Kin'emon looks PULVERIZED, that's a really bad injury with basically no way out for Kin'emon. That's just a few notches shy of Kaido's Ragnarok attack, which is one of the highest damaging single target attacks we've ever seen in the series. Is there a guarantee anyone's dead, hell no, but people do die in this series when memes are set aside...

I don't think he's dead, but typically in One Piece when a swordsman/woman has their swords broken by an attack they are donezo and out of the fight.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I don't think he's dead, but typically in One Piece when a swordsman/woman has their swords broken by an attack they are donezo and out of the fight.

He had two swords tho. I think only one of them is breaking.

Edit: oh welp I checked again, both of his swords are broken.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 28, 2021

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Ok next chapter Gin is coming back with the eyepatch

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Super thrilled we got a few panels of Monster Point vs Queen, even if it alludes that even MP Chopper can't do damage to Queen's body. But still, MP tanking both Queen and Perospero, that's pretty hardcore. That's two of the top fighters from two different Yonko's crew, not being wiped away by a single attack from either of them is impressive.

The little backstory of Caesar helping Chopper improve his Rumble Balls was a nice little touch as well.

Seeing Queen is more cyborg-ish than first thought is just going to bum me out even more he's not getting matched up against Franky. Screw power levels, General Franky vs Mecha-Brachiosaurus would be a joy. Franky has been such a powerhouse post-timeskip, I'd love to see him shown at that level ((though going by his place in the polls, probs not going to happen)).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Zakutambah posted:

Super thrilled we got a few panels of Monster Point vs Queen, even if it alludes that even MP Chopper can't do damage to Queen's body. But still, MP tanking both Queen and Perospero, that's pretty hardcore. That's two of the top fighters from two different Yonko's crew, not being wiped away by a single attack from either of them is impressive.

The little backstory of Caesar helping Chopper improve his Rumble Balls was a nice little touch as well.

Seeing Queen is more cyborg-ish than first thought is just going to bum me out even more he's not getting matched up against Franky. Screw power levels, General Franky vs Mecha-Brachiosaurus would be a joy. Franky has been such a powerhouse post-timeskip, I'd love to see him shown at that level ((though going by his place in the polls, probs not going to happen)).

Am I alone in interpreting this "fight" as Queen loving around with poor Choniki while he exhausts himself?. I don't think Queen is taking the fight too seriously, he seems to be more amused at Chopper burning himself out while Perospero rains down the candy arrows from above. Still an impressive burst of power throwing Queen around while he's pierced by all of these arrows, but unless the unpleasant side effects alluded to in the Ceasar Clown flashback are some massive power boost (nanomachines?) I think Chopper's about to be done and dusted :(

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There surely has to be a reason for the upgrade and the warning. Maybe it's that he goes feral as used to happen with monster point, but gets a big strength boost when he does.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There surely has to be a reason for the upgrade and the warning. Maybe it's that he goes feral as used to happen with monster point, but gets a big strength boost when he does.

chopper becomes a rumble ball addict

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i think i first read one piece when they were releasing monthly shonen jumps back in 2004. i don't remember exactly how it was syndicated but most of the manga in the american shonen jump did huge skips to catch up at a certain point

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
much like the nami zeus bust into definitely dead luffy power combo i was about to be annoyed that barring shrodinger's ashura kiku is the one scabbard that gets killed until kaido just vaporized half of kinemon

echoing tbp the scabbard stuff is just straight-up the best side character poo poo oda's ever done imo and that ending legit kicked my rear end and now i am once again very sad over the childrens pirate comic

kanjuro is such a solid disquieting villain lol what a loving final moment

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've been watching some of the new to One Piece read through youtubers, and it got me wondering when does Usopp's lying start turning into quasi-prophesy? Is Little Garden's goldfish the first instance?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

I've been watching some of the new to One Piece read through youtubers, and it got me wondering when does Usopp's lying start turning into quasi-prophesy? Is Little Garden's goldfish the first instance?

the pirates are attacking syrup village lie, but yes the goldfish is the second one (mole lady is the third)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

anime was right posted:

chopper becomes a rumble ball addict

Yeah, considering this is Caesar Clown Gastino we are talking about and his sly expression when talking about possible risks involved, this is definitely within the realm of possibility.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I don’t know about you guys but this is feeling like we’re coming up on the end of the third act

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
With how things are going, guess it's time for Luffy to call in all his crossover friends. Bet Kaido never expected to get a Goku to the face.

anime was right posted:

the pirates are attacking syrup village lie, but yes the goldfish is the second one (mole lady is the third)

I wouldn't count the cat pirate attack, that's just playing with the lying trait with one of the most famous liar stories. It's more dramatic irony than future truth.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Starsfan posted:

Am I alone in interpreting this "fight" as Queen loving around with poor Choniki while he exhausts himself?. I don't think Queen is taking the fight too seriously, he seems to be more amused at Chopper burning himself out while Perospero rains down the candy arrows from above. Still an impressive burst of power throwing Queen around while he's pierced by all of these arrows, but unless the unpleasant side effects alluded to in the Ceasar Clown flashback are some massive power boost (nanomachines?) I think Chopper's about to be done and dusted :(

Being unable to revert to normal size was my guess

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
will be mad if kin'emon and kiku don't miraculously survive in classic one piece fashion, they're too cool to die...

regardless of whatever the wording ends up being with kaido's mention of joyboy, it's certainly interesting that kaidou knows about him & saw luffy as a possible candidate to be him/have inherited his will/whatever it means. it suggests kaidou is much more clued into things than say, big mom, and most likely already has access to someone who can read poneglyphs. it also suggests that the prophesised return of joyboy likely just refers to luffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Kiku is my favourite scabbard :(

At this point, most of the Straw Hats have been pretty beaten up. It's just like, Jimbei and Franky that are more or less untouched? Robin and Brook looked kinda worn in the one panel too.

I'm really curious where the story goes. It doesn't seem like they can pull out a win at this point, which follows into the act 4 thing people talk about, but how does Wano survive any amount of time it would take for the Straw Hats to heal and rebound? They're going to get an island dropped on them if no one stops Kaido at this rate.

I suppose any combination of Law and Marco could help but that sounds a bit contrived and may cheapen a victory imo.