Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

I couldn't pull the trigger on the halfway subscription 'cause I blew about that much cash on the Pitchfork music festival this year, buutttttttttt

I forgot just how well VS has their poo poo setup in comparison until I hit the instantly loading site at 9:01 and check out by 9:04. :monocle:

That Home Grown Horrors set is incredible. Beyond Dream's Door is worth it just by itself, but Winterbeast is also really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
If anyone has any money left over from the VinSyn sale, I'm selling a bunch of movies again in SA-Mart that would be relevant to this thread's interests: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969031

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

gey muckle mowser posted:

If anyone has any money left over from the VinSyn sale, I'm selling a bunch of movies again in SA-Mart that would be relevant to this thread's interests: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969031

You should have been selling these things before my dog had to go to the vet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I’m surprised there’s that much demand for it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

The Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I’m surprised there’s that much demand for it.

A lot of people just buy poo poo because it's rare or they're trying to buy every title from a certain catalog. I have a friend who spends literal thousands of dollars on movies that are completely unwatchable because of that. I can't even guess the number of video tapes he has laying around but every surface in his bedroom is covered in them and he outright acknowledges he's never going to watch any of that poo poo. He got started on blu-rays and already have a few dozen of them. I'd say like under 20% of them are stuff that's actually worth watching. People just want poo poo so they can have it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPL593H posted:

A lot of people just buy poo poo because it's rare or they're trying to buy every title from a certain catalog. I have a friend who spends literal thousands of dollars on movies that are completely unwatchable because of that. I can't even guess the number of video tapes he has laying around but ever surface in his bedroom is covered in them and he outright acknowledges he's never going to watch any of that poo poo. He got started on blu-rays and already have a few dozen of them. I'd say like under 20% of them are stuff that's actually worth watching. People just want poo poo so they can have it.

hey don’t doxx me, pal

I went easy on the VS sale and only grabbed Fade to Black, Liquid Sky, GETEVEN, and Scary Tales because I can’t resist no-budget amateur horror oddities.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

hey don’t doxx me, pal

I went easy on the VS sale and only grabbed Fade to Black, Liquid Sky, GETEVEN, and Scary Tales because I can’t resist no-budget amateur horror oddities.

Are parts of your bedroom literally stacked to the ceiling with unsubtitled VHS copies of Pakistani dramas made in the late 70s?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CPL593H posted:

Are parts of your bedroom literally stacked to the ceiling with unsubtitled VHS copies of Pakistani dramas made in the late 70s?

Well, not yet.

What’s his endgame, is he a reseller or archiving these or what :psyduck:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Holy loving hell, how did I gloss over that new release, what is wrong with me?!

I already spent $100 but I didn't even hesitate to run back to the store and snag that. I've been wanting to see that dumpster fire since I first learned about it, I even sent :10bux: to John De Hart's website and never got a response or a DVD.

e: "People just want poo poo so they can have it." should be this thread's permanent subheading

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 28, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well, not yet.

I’d post those pics of the dude who has literal library racks of movies and owns like 5 copies of ‘Anger Management’ and poo poo but I’m at work and I’m lazy.

Full disclosure I wanted to get in on the VS sale but I just can’t find anything I want or have even heard of, and I’ve got too many unwatched movies as it is. I need to re-sort the collection over the weekend since I’ve gotten a bunch of new movies since the last time I did it.

In my defense I have been making a concerted effort to watch my movies lately.

Oh, random question: for me, watching movies (in the theatre or at home) is not complete unless I’m eating popcorn. who here likes microwave popcorn, and what’s your favorite brand/variety?
I’ve been trying little boxes of a bunch of different ones just to change things up, but I just bought a big box of Act II Movie Theater Butter. I’m a sucker for the gimmick tubs of popcorn that you put the whole thing in the microwave and it pops up in the tub, and I tried an Orville Reddenbacher one the other day that was really, really good and genuinely tasted like Harkins theatre popcorn... except for the bottom third of the tub which got no butter whatsoever and tasted like plain unflavored popcorn.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well, not yet.

He does rip some of these things. Occasionally he sells poo poo but he only sells poo poo to buy more poo poo. But the percentage of stuff he archives or sells is pretty drat low. Especially the former because of how much time it takes. He just wants poo poo so he can have it. It's some kind of addiction or compulsion.

Xenomrph posted:

I’d post those pics of the dude who has literal library racks of movies and owns like 5 copies of ‘Anger Management’ and poo poo but I’m at work and I’m lazy.

He's not stockpiling thrift store copies of Jurassic Park or something, he's spending serious money on a bunch of weird and/or extremely esoteric poo poo no one cares about.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Xenomrph posted:

Oh, random question: for me, watching movies (in the theatre or at home) is not complete unless I’m eating popcorn. who here likes microwave popcorn, and what’s your favorite brand/variety?
I’ve been trying little boxes of a bunch of different ones just to change things up, but I just bought a big box of Act II Movie Theater Butter. I’m a sucker for the gimmick tubs of popcorn that you put the whole thing in the microwave and it pops up in the tub, and I tried an Orville Reddenbacher one the other day that was really, really good and genuinely tasted like Harkins theatre popcorn... except for the bottom third of the tub which got no butter whatsoever and tasted like plain unflavored popcorn.

Microwave popcorn is okay, but my favorite is stove top. I use one of these. I cook it with canola oil and just add salt. It's the best stuff ever.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Xenomrph posted:

Flavacol is your friend.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I only eat popcorn that's been cooked on the stove. Microwave popcorn has an odd taste and if you don't eat it while it's still hot then it just tastes like a weird grease. You can use pretty much any type of cooking oil but I use this stuff made by Orville Redenbacher that's specifically for popcorn. It adds a slight flavor to the popcorn and I find the main advantage it has over cooking oils is that if you put slightly too much it doesn't make the popcorn taste too oily. That popping thing there looks really cool. I might get one.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My favorite popcorn, cooked on the stovetop with lots of butter

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I use this thing with a little pat of unsalted Kerrygold on top and a tossed sprinkling of sea salt after it pops.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I eat popcorn out of the microwave like a loving animal.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Buttered Popcorn Jelly Bellys :whatup:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Popcorn is to be cooked in pure coconut oil with only betacarotene added for movie theatre aesthetics.

6oz P-corn
1/4 cup Snappy popcorn colored coconut oil
1/4oz Flavacol©️

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I bought a Cuisenart hot air popper and was all excited because I thought I’d finally cracked the popcorn problem. It was only ok and it has a tendency to fling unfinished seeds into the bowl.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

just lol at you barbarians eating popped corn while viewing a motion picture film.

A true gentleman enjoys a full course banquet.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I hate eating in the dark because I'm scared I will bite my fingees. :ohdear:

When I do eat popcorn though I'm doing it on the stovetop and you know I'm throwing Tajin on it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I love microwaveable popcorn. Typically I'll get pop secret. If I am feeling real unhealthy I will buy blast o butter. Sitting down to watch a movie just doesn't feel right to me without popcorn.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I hate eating in the dark because I'm scared I will bite my fingees. :ohdear:

When I do eat popcorn though I'm doing it on the stovetop and you know I'm throwing Tajin on it.

What the gently caress?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking of getting a popcorn maker of some kind but it's always hard to choose. (My attempts at just making it a kettle have been not-entirely-successful, it comes out kinda dense.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've been thinking of getting a popcorn maker of some kind but it's always hard to choose. (My attempts at just making it a kettle have been not-entirely-successful, it comes out kinda dense.)

Just use a pot.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 29, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

VoodooXT posted:

Flavacol is your friend.

Tell me more about this Flavacol.

Spacebump posted:

I love microwaveable popcorn. Typically I'll get pop secret. If I am feeling real unhealthy I will buy blast o butter. Sitting down to watch a movie just doesn't feel right to me without popcorn.

Preach it, brother.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Tell me more about this Flavacol.
Preach it, brother.

It's the salt theaters use for popcorn. It's really good but very fine. Don't put too much. You can get a carton on Amazon for $10.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
When I was a kid we used to run table salt through an old lovely coffee grinder for popcorn, never knew you could just buy the stuff

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The best movie theater popcorn I get always comes from places that use real butter and don't use Flavacol. I buy popcorn at all theaters but it's always so much better at the indie places.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I've had the best results using a stainless steel mixing bowl covered with some tin foil, and I usually cook in a 50/50 mix of veg oil and clarified butter, add melted butter to taste if its not buttery enough out of the pot.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If I eat popcorn, I get really sick.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I alternate between stovetop and my air popper for popcorn. Lately it’s been mostly the air popper because then it’s only one bowl to clean. The only tricks with it I’ve found are to put a bit of oil in the bottom of the serving bowl - it will get heated up by the hot air, and you need something for seasonings to stick to. I also tilt the popper back before the kernels have started popping to help prevent any from flying into the bowl.

I keep tweaking the procedure for stovetop with things I’ve read over the years. Currently it’s:
* high-temp cooking oil (avocado, peanut, or safflower). If I’m out of practice I tend to use too much, which results in very heavy popcorn that makes me feel slightly queasy
* crank the burner and throw in two kernels
* while that’s heating, throw in popcorn salt into the oil. It’s just salt run through a spice grinder so it’s extra fine and therefore sticks better. I usually measure it so I can watch my salt intake. Putting it in the oil will evenly distribute it.
* when the two kernels pop, take the pan off the heat and dump in enough corn to cover the bottom in one layer. More will just result in unpopped kernels.
* keep the pan off heat for 30 seconds. Preheating the kernels causes them to pop at roughly the same time when high heat is applied, so there will be less duds
* after 30 seconds, back on heat. Initially you have to use a lid to not get oil everywhere, but as soon as it’s feasible let as much steam out as possible (results in crunchier popcorn)
* I additionally season with cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast

:spergin:

I… I eat a lot of popcorn

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I noticed that Lynch’s Dune is getting a nice Blu release. Can anyone comment on whether the Blu releases of the Sci-Fi miniseries are worthwhile if you already own the DVDs. There’s a lot of early 2000s CG on a tv budget that looks rough, but I believe it was shot on film.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's the salt theaters use for popcorn. It's really good but very fine. Don't put too much. You can get a carton on Amazon for $10.

Yup, the only issue is that it’s really designed to be put on pre-popped popcorn.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

VoodooXT posted:

Yup, the only issue is that it’s really designed to be put on pre-popped popcorn.
Nah just add it right to the fat, it will season very evenly that way. That’s how the instructions for commercial poppers direct you to do it and it works just as well on the stovetop at home.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Popcorn is the worst food for films because it's the loudest. And for some reason, 70% of people at the theaters are compelled to chew it with their mouths open, and rattle their tub throughout the film. I hate that this is tradition.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

roffels posted:

Popcorn is the worst food for films because it's the loudest. And for some reason, 70% of people at the theaters are compelled to chew it with their mouths open, and rattle their tub throughout the film. I hate that this is tradition.

It's not even close to the loudest. If I'm eating kettle cooked potato chips I have to pause the movie until I'm finished. I can't even hear over my own crunching.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I make my own popcorn with a special metal pot with a lid and stirrer with crank. Put in a tablespoon or two of coconut oil, then add your popcorn once it's heated through. You stir the pot with the crank and usually there's not even a single unpopped kernel left. Best part is that because it has a lid, I drop in a little bit of melted butter and shake it up so that it's all evenly coated without losing its heat or moisture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I feel like a weirdo now; I buy popcorn at the theater out of habit but never eat it at home. The thought never even crosses my mind. And thinking about it, I don’t even like to eat during films at home. :confused: