Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's bad for countries that have not vaccinated that much yet more than anything else

We don't really have official confirmation yet but it looks like it developed the Del144/5 spike mutation

https://twitter.com/DzungLeVN/status/1398618330290745348

..... which we've also seen in the B.117 Kent variant and B.1526.1 New York variant

...... which might make it a little more antibody resistant

quote:

Del144/5
The deletion of one of two adjacent Y (Tyrosine) in position 144/145 is located in RDR2 and is a key signature of the U.K. variant [5]. This mutation is adjacent to glycosylation sites which may play a role in SARS-CoV-2 attachment to target cells or in escaping neutralizing antibodies [17, 20].

Or it might not, we don't seem to know for sure. :shrug:

The India B.1617 variant cluster seems a little more vaxx resist-y than some other variants already, the AstraZeneca vaxx is only rated at 33% effective with 1 dose and 60% effective with two doses. Pfizer seems to be 33%/88% effective
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210525/pfizer-astrazeneca-vaccines-indian-variant-study

(60% is still much much better than 0%)

E: also they've only found 2 cases in Vietnam, I'm pretty sure. They're also pulling out a lot of stops to squash the spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piers
Jul 24, 2007

Nice freedom of speech you got going over there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Piers posted:

Nice freedom of speech you got going over there.

We actually have a genuine problem with protected speech in Australia: we don't have a Bill of Rights, our libel/slander laws are poo poo and our whistleblower laws are very poo poo.

Emergency laws against public gatherings during a pandemic breakout are wayyyyyy down the list (and the majority of Australians don't seem to have any problems with it anyway)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Freedom of violence! :australia:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Freedom of violence! :australia:

There's quite often a bit of biffo at these gatherings, such as this young lad having a red hot go at the coppers at a similar lockdown protest last year:

Made a right galah of himself

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

learnincurve posted:

The telegraph front page today is loving shocking. It’s all about how a group of concerned doctors, parents, and celebrities have written a letter asking Boris not to allow kids to be vaccinated because they feel it’s too dangerous and you might as well just play hbomberguy’s video about the MMR jab right now.

I haven't read the Telegraph article, but for what it's worth, the Swedish paediatrician's association recommends against vaccinating the under-15s, too. The argument is that there have only been studies on ~1000 patients, which is too few to rule out severe and very rare side effects. I assume the Telegraph argument is similar?

I guess I don't have an opinion either way - since Sweden has only gotten as far as the 50+ bracket yet, I guess it's fine to wait for more study results before making a call either way about kids.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The telegraph argument is rendered dangerous anti-vax bullshit the moment they cited a letter from concerned parents and celebrities as a reason as to why my 17 year old daughter can’t get vaccinated. The daily telegraph and every single person who signed that letter can get loving hosed.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

xcheopis posted:

What's that in land-lubber averages? :cheeky:

About the same speed as a swallow carrying a coconut I think. Posting on a kindle and I'm usless typing on it and useless at using autocomplete!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

learnincurve posted:

The telegraph argument is rendered dangerous anti-vax bullshit the moment they cited a letter from concerned parents and celebrities as a reason as to why my 17 year old daughter can’t get vaccinated. The daily telegraph and every single person who signed that letter can get loving hosed.

"The Daily Telegraph can't get loving hosed." is a good rule in general.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

23% of 12-17 year olds in the US have had at least one dose - that's at least three orders of magnitudes more than a thousand people.

e. ~170k have at least one dose in my approx. sweden sized state alone.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 30, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:lol:

:getin:

That's the super lovely pepper foam too that sticks to you like napalm. If you try to get it off you just spread it all over your face lol.

Uh, ignoring exactly who this is being used on, this sounds like a war crime.

Of course, I am also a white man in America, so if it turns out if that or something like that or worse is actively being used here, I would not be surprised.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

My 2nd Pfizer shot was on May 7, been fully vaxxed for over a week. Then here in Western NY the weather just dropped from the high 80s to 50 degrees in like a day. I woke up today feeling mildly cruddy /stuffy nose, which has happened before with sudden weather changes, but not during a global pandemic. My BinaxNOW quick test was negative but I'm going for a drive up test on Tuesday just to make sure.

Being already vaxxed I'm not scared of it getting serious if I do have it, but I don't want to spread anything around. Was hoping to get out and about more post-vax so this sucks.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Roman posted:

My 2nd Pfizer shot was on May 7, been fully vaxxed for over a week. Then here in Western NY the weather just dropped from the high 80s to 50 degrees in like a day. I woke up today feeling mildly cruddy /stuffy nose, which has happened before with sudden weather changes, but not during a global pandemic. My BinaxNOW quick test was negative but I'm going for a drive up test on Tuesday just to make sure.

Being already vaxxed I'm not scared of it getting serious if I do have it, but I don't want to spread anything around. Was hoping to get out and about more post-vax so this sucks.

I think it's very wise to be cautious, but I also wouldn't be too worried; there's a lot of stuff out there other than Covid that will give you a stuffy nose and sense of general misery.

I think a lot of us are likely to have some scary experiences post-vax as we re-enter the world. I just remind myself that I generally pulled up with some sort of URI between 1 and 4 times a year pre-Covid.

You'll almost certainly be fine (even in the unlikely event that you managed to snag a breakthrough case), but I applaud your caution nevertheless, and I'm sorry that you're going through this scare.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Castaign posted:

You'll almost certainly be fine (even in the unlikely event that you managed to snag a breakthrough case), but I applaud your caution nevertheless, and I'm sorry that you're going through this scare.
Oh yeah, I'm sure I'll be fine. I get these sometimes, even had a full on sinus/ear infection last year. Still been masking up in public and everyone I've been in close proximity to recently is fully vaxxed anyway. More worried about potentially spreading something around than anything else.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Was pleased to hear a convo my wife had with her anti-vax friend. The friend is still anti-vax and convincing herself that she will quit her job if they require a vaccine. Also delusional about vaccine passports "you can still travel, you just have to quarantine!" Even if that winds up being true, what a hassle. But the bright spot is that she lamented about all her fellow idiot friends capitulating and getting the Vax when they said they wouldn't.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

If it was a war it would be, but though pepper agents are banned from war they’re completely above board for things outside of that. Like pepper spraying someone who is mugging you would be a war crime if you were a uniformed service member in a war zone “War crimes” are specific things and most people don’t really understand them- there’s tons of stuff that’s illegal in war mostly because of WWI. It’s actually a really interesting legal area.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If it was a war it would be, but though pepper agents are banned from war they’re completely above board for things outside of that. Like pepper spraying someone who is mugging you would be a war crime if you were a uniformed service member in a war zone “War crimes” are specific things and most people don’t really understand them- there’s tons of stuff that’s illegal in war but totally legal for home defense mostly because of WWI. It’s actually a really interesting legal area.

E:quote does not equal edit.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

If it was a war it would be, but though pepper agents are banned from war they’re completely above board for things outside of that. Like pepper spraying someone who is mugging you would be a war crime if you were a uniformed service member in a war zone “War crimes” are specific things and most people don’t really understand them- there’s tons of stuff that’s illegal in war mostly because of WWI. It’s actually a really interesting legal area.

This is kinda horrifying! Thanks!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Taiwan, Vietnam and Thailand - all previously COVID green zones - have now seen breaches which are making cases skyrocket. Taiwan in particular is a sobering graph.

https://twitter.com/Lady_Gwendoline/status/1398936274174570496

Unless I'm mistaken that leaves Australia, New Zealand and China - and it always feels weird to just chuck China in as though it's not, like, a fifth of the global population - as the remaining major Asia-Pacific nations that are free of COVID. Yes, I'm writing this in Melbourne in day three of a seven-day lockdown, but that's for about two dozen cases and I'll happily take a week of lockdown every few months in exchange for normal life the rest of the time. (And the other 80% of Australians are carrying on unaffected.)

edit - also, Australia had virtually no leaks from its hotel quarantine system in most of 2020 apart from the one that caused the catastrophic Melbourne second wave last May/June, but since then we've had somewhere between 10-20 in five different states in the last six months. That would seem to be to be the same cause for three different COVID success nations experiencing big new outbreaks, which is a combination of more infectious variants + a generally higher infection rate worldwide statistically manifesting in the people who are still arriving in any given country, no matter what quarantine policies you have in place.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 30, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Unlucky7 posted:

Of course, I am also a white man in America, so if it turns out if that or something like that or worse is actively being used here, I would not be surprised.

Hey, it's better than cops shooting us! At least they don't do that....wait a sec....

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

RoastBeef posted:

23% of 12-17 year olds in the US have had at least one dose - that's at least three orders of magnitudes more than a thousand people.

e. ~170k have at least one dose in my approx. sweden sized state alone.

Yeah, that's a good number. So someone should make a study on those kids, then. In fact, I think we can be fairly confident such a study is already in progress by the pharma companies, because they have an interest in getting their drugs approved for children. But until those studies are done, I'm afraid the "cautious" people have a point when they say "we don't have enough data on side effects for kids yet".

Yes, gently caress the Daily Telegraph indeed, but I'm not sure I'm willing to say "gently caress paediatricians who want to see studies done before approving drugs".

Edit:(BTW it seems like we're talking about different cutoff ages here, 15 vs 17, but I'm not sure how much it matters. The EMA approved the Pfizer shot for 12-to-15-year-olds: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/first-covid-19-vaccine-approved-children-aged-12-15-eu and that's the group that's being discussed in Sweden. N=2260, apparently, I was wrong when I wrote 1000 above.)

Edit 2: To be clear, we're talking about really rare side effects that only show up once per 10k or more. There is no reason to believe that these would look different for adolescents or children than for adults, but that's what happened with the 2009 Pandemrix vaccine. An "unknown unknown" if you will that saddled tens of thousands of kids with a debilitating narcoleptic condition, after an unforeseen autoimmune reaction in some genetically predisposed patients.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 30, 2021

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

My dumb poo poo friend who is more than happy to rip massive lines of coke cut with gently caress knows what and who will pop any pill that comes his way at a party no questions asked is suddenly “doing his research” on whether the covid vaccine is safe for him to get or not. I don’t get it…

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snorting coke and popping pills is a risk with the benefit of fun, whereas if you've been living your life as normal and think COVID is just a bad flu and don't really care about old people or disabled people, it's a (perceived) risk with no benefit at all

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

Fun fact! The Geneva Protocol, the international treaty and law that bans the use of chemical agents in war, *specifically* excludes their use against your own civilian population during a civil conflict. That's right - tear gas an armed man with a different flag on his uniform, that's a crime against humanity. Lob Sarin into your own capital because they're getting a bit restless about the bins being collected? Sure, why not?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The reason that incapacitating agents are specifically banned isn’t because they themselves are so horrible, it’s because of the risk of escalation.

If you have a disarmed populace, they are incapable of escalating. :nsa:

Fun fact: The practice of police dressing as protestors and engaging in violence would also be a war crime, if it occurred in a war.

e: Also, it’s technically the Chemical Weapons Convention that allows for domestic riot control. Geneva doesn’t have any caveats. I point this out in case anyone wants to look up the language for themselves. Thanks, International Red Cross.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 30, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving around:

Finding out:
https://twitter.com/StetsonUSA/status/1398772331619643392

Good luck running a hat store in Nashville without any Stetson products, dumbass!

E: Akubra and several other big hat brands have also dropped her

Also her store has been blockaded by protesters for days and people looked into her past posts and discovered she was at the Capitol Building on Jan 6 LOL

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 30, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jesus Christ why can’t people just stick to their chill job selling hats instead of being demons

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I committed some light treason, I would lie loving low for a long, long time.

Just saying.

Not that I have committed any treason recently, or at all. In fact, if I had, I wouldn’t be drawing attention to it by talking about it in hypotheticals.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If anyone has been following the story of the covid data analyst down in Florida who got fired from her Department of Health job when she refused to hide data and "went rogue" with her own covid dashboard and then got raided & arrested, Florida’s inspector general has now granted her official whistleblower status

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1398422810645745664

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Yeah, people keep using "war crime" because it sounds like some kind of super-bad crime. And there are certainly some really horrible things that are war crimes. But there are all kinds of things that are significantly better than the alternatives when done by law enforcement that would fall under the category of war crime. For example, it's a war crime to keep prisoners of war in a jail or camp that is in a different climate than the one in which they were captured. So if someone from Florida went on a multi-state crime spree and got arrested in Maine, it would be a war crime if the went to a federal penitentiary back in Florida instead of one in Maine (or a Maine-like climate.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
On the one hand:
https://twitter.com/Nature/status/1397934878281371655
:toot:

But on the other hand:
https://twitter.com/CarolynEast2/status/1398813830868840450
:coronatoot:

There's a few studies that show that people who recover from covid and get a single shot of mRNA vaxx develop really robust immunity
https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/news-releases/2021/april/penn-study-suggests-those-who-had-covid19-may-only-need-one-vaccine-dose

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Not accusing you of doomposting, Snowglobe of Doom, but:

On the one hand: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wtsp.com/amp/article/money/winning-lottery-likelihood/67-13d86b43-c493-422e-9b84-0465b543b0df

But on the other hand: https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/man-wins-lottery-sixth-time-250000-jackpot-prize/story%3fid=75607055

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know how likely this is, but my big fear now in the US is that we'll continue on like it's "over" for a while and then those of use who are vaccinated will have our vaccines lose their effectiveness in time for the un-vaccinated to incubate a vaccine-resistant and more deadly strain that will rip through the population and kill a ton of people. Even people who aren't "vulnerable". Like loving Thanos snapping his fingers.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you are vaccinated you should really take a deep breath and stop trying to imagine new doomsday scenarios that will affect you far in the future, and instead revel on the fact that you're really well protected from the idiots now and that their poor choices no longer pose an imminent threat to your health and well-being. In a year all of us who aren't idiots in America will be able to get booster shots if we need them unless western civilization has collapsed.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know how likely this is, but my big fear now in the US is that we'll continue on like it's "over" for a while and then those of use who are vaccinated will have our vaccines lose their effectiveness in time for the un-vaccinated to incubate a vaccine-resistant and more deadly strain that will rip through the population and kill a ton of people. Even people who aren't "vulnerable". Like loving Thanos snapping his fingers.

Sounds pretty likely but people are so determined to throw all possible progress away that there's really nothing that can be done.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

poverty goat posted:

If you are vaccinated you should really take a deep breath and stop trying to imagine new doomsday scenarios that will affect you far in the future, and instead revel on the fact that you're really well protected from the idiots now and that their poor choices no longer pose an imminent threat to your health and well-being. In a year all of us who aren't idiots in America will be able to get booster shots if we need them unless western civilization has collapsed.

Have you considered that it is far more interesting to imagine yourself as a future sufferer/survivor of a nuclear apocalypse/pandemic/chosen catastrophe and instead seek affirmation from other broken brains?

I mean there's a lot of topics on this website about preppers and people with the same mentality.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

Have you considered that it is far more interesting to imagine yourself as a future sufferer/survivor of a nuclear apocalypse/pandemic/chosen catastrophe and instead seek affirmation from other broken brains?

I mean there's a lot of topics on this website about preppers and people with the same mentality.

I feel like a lot of doomers are going through doom withdrawls now that they're vaccinated and the doom has abated irl

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Doomposting? I was reminding people who recovered from covid that they should go and get a vaccine as well because the combo gives much higher protection.

Also you're a dumbass if you think the megalottery statistics are in any way relevant to the situation under discussion

quote:

According to Lottery USA, the odds of winning the Mega Millions jackpot are 1 in 302.6 million and the odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are 1 in 292.2 million.

Here's a study of 434,000 patients who previously tested positive to covid-19. 1,601 of them caught a second infection (after more than 90 days from the first) and 54 of the re-infected people died within 21 days.
https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/covid-19-reinfection-rate-around-0-4-epic-data-suggests.html

That'd give odds of reinfection at 1 in 270 and odds of reinfection + dying at 1 in 8000.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If anyone has been following the story of the covid data analyst down in Florida who got fired from her Department of Health job when she refused to hide data and "went rogue" with her own covid dashboard and then got raided & arrested, Florida’s inspector general has now granted her official whistleblower status

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1398422810645745664

This makes me very happy. That video of the cops raiding her home and then pulling their guns out right when she said her husband and child were home loving infuriated me. Rational loving rage.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

poverty goat posted:

I feel like a lot of doomers are going through doom withdrawls now that they're vaccinated and the doom has abated irl

Pushing to eliminate NPI with such low vaccination rates is the optimal scenario to select for immunity evasion mutations.

I'm hopeful that this doesn't occur but it's loving idiotic to just handwave it away, while rolling the dice over and over.