Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Here's perhaps a novel question: I am currently restoring some vintage tools. Nothing particularly fancy but valuable nonetheless once they look and operate beautifully. I don't give a poo poo about selling them, I have no use in my shop for them. Usually I'd just give them away in my local LAN thread but is there any good way to donate them to a neat organization or something? Like, do highschool shop teachers take donations? Is there some way to make a saw accessable to an inner-city youth???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm sure local maker spaces would love free tools

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rotten Cookies posted:

That's not a bad idea.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

tater_salad posted:

I really am sad my mower I bought last year is gas. I discounted electric due to the experience I had when I was a kid 20+ years ago pushing that bogging down black and decker mower.

I also would like electric power washer tech to catch up it seems like electric isn't quite there because nothing seems to have the same lower and flow as the gas ones. When my craftsman mower dies or in 3-5 year I will 100% go to electric / battery mowers

Jeez, this made me remember that I put $200 worth of parts into my JD XR75 lawnmower last year. Granted it is a heavy duty commercial grade mower but still, I should probably look more closely at my priorities in the future. Since I got the garden tractor it's only used for detail work on the edges. I could probably replace it with a scythe and a battery mower and I already have the scythe.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Literally A Person posted:

Here's perhaps a novel question: I am currently restoring some vintage tools. Nothing particularly fancy but valuable nonetheless once they look and operate beautifully. I don't give a poo poo about selling them, I have no use in my shop for them. Usually I'd just give them away in my local LAN thread but is there any good way to donate them to a neat organization or something? Like, do highschool shop teachers take donations? Is there some way to make a saw accessable to an inner-city youth???

Public libraries will often have tools that people can borrow for a day and return. They would love some free ones if your local library is doing that.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rutibex posted:

Public libraries will often have tools that people can borrow for a day and return. They would love some free ones if your local library is doing that.

Boom another good idea.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My area has a "buy nothing" Facebook group where you just put things up for free to other members in your neighborhood. It's great. I've scored everything from patio furniture to tools and all kinds of other stuff. Lots of people who don't want to deal with seeking things on craigslist and just want it to get used without worrying about making money on it.

I've given a away a lot of stuff as well, always surprising what people will take off your hands.

Also recommend me a home owner shop vac. My 2 gallon mini vac is useless. On wheels. Not crazy expensive but not the cheapest thing out there.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Rigid 6? Gallon has been good to me in the face of a lot of abuse

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Verman posted:

My area has a "buy nothing" Facebook group where you just put things up for free to other members in your neighborhood. It's great. I've scored everything from patio furniture to tools and all kinds of other stuff. Lots of people who don't want to deal with seeking things on craigslist and just want it to get used without worrying about making money on it.

I've given a away a lot of stuff as well, always surprising what people will take off your hands.

Also recommend me a home owner shop vac. My 2 gallon mini vac is useless. On wheels. Not crazy expensive but not the cheapest thing out there.

I've had good luck with ridgid shop vacs as well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is the Ryobi One+ shop vac any good? I've been eyeing it up, especially considering all the places in my house/lot without easy extension cord access

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I use a Ridgid 6 vac behind a Dustopper as my dust collection for now and it's pretty great. I have a 14 gallon DeWalt that I'm not happy with at all and when it finally croaks I'll get a Ridgid 12 or something.

For portables I actually liked the Harbor Freight battery powered one when I borrowed it from a friend. Cheap and the batteries aren't expensive. But if you're already in a better platform I'd guess they're all pretty similar?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
F shop-vac brand shop-vacs. Unreliable, underpowered garbo.

Thanks for reading my review.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

tracecomplete posted:

For portables I actually liked the Harbor Freight battery powered one when I borrowed it from a friend. Cheap and the batteries aren't expensive. But if you're already in a better platform I'd guess they're all pretty similar?

For what it's worth, I really love my 2.5-gallon Milwaukee. It's still not on par with the (drastically cheaper) 14-gallon corded Ridgid that I use for most stuff in the house, but it's loving great for a portable shop vac. I used to have a 6-gallon Ryobi One+ and that was also pretty good, although it guzzled battery power for some reason.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

FISHMANPET posted:

Is the Ryobi One+ shop vac any good? I've been eyeing it up, especially considering all the places in my house/lot without easy extension cord access

I’ve got the tiny 3 gallon shop vac and it’s better than a dust buster but it does not compare to a real shop vac.

No idea about the larger one+

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I will once again state the rigid wd4522 is a very nice vac if your use case expands beyond "sits in the corner of the shop most of the time" or "permanently attached to dust collection system"

Hauling a tub style vac around is terrible, i dont know why it took so long for this form factor to be a thing.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I have a Ridgid wd4070, and I like it for the most part. The only downside for me is due to the relatively small bag, it will start to have reduced suction partway through some larger drywall sanding jobs. I've actually found if I take the bag outside and manually empty it u can basically "reuse" it to get a little more life. But I'll live with that for the low-slung form factor. It's great for auto stuff as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’ve never seen a contractor NOT have a Rigid vac in the back of their pickup. That’s a good enough endorsement for me.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

For what it's worth, I really love my 2.5-gallon Milwaukee. It's still not on par with the (drastically cheaper) 14-gallon corded Ridgid that I use for most stuff in the house, but it's loving great for a portable shop vac. I used to have a 6-gallon Ryobi One+ and that was also pretty good, although it guzzled battery power for some reason.

I personally own the DeWalt 2 gallon one so I'm definitely on that train with you. Mentioned the Hercules mostly because I haven't seen the DeWalt in stock in my area in months. Also you kinda have to put some silicone caulk inside the edge of the DeWalt or it becomes a permanent crap trap, which makes it harder to recommend, but once I did that this thing has been amazing.

Also the Skil blower I got with my lawnmower and trimmer is suddenly the real MVP when I realized I could open the garage door in the shop and just blow all the crap out the front.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

6-8 gallon Stanley. Steel body, which may or may not be a big deal. Got it on clearance last year at, of all places Walmart. My car's back windshield got blown out by hail a month ago, and that thing snorked safety glass like nothing, Freddy. Several attachments, and I'm a bit attached to it myself now.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Rotten Cookies posted:

The makerspace local to me is a terrible steward of its donations. I would never donate anything (supplies, materials, tools, money, my time, literally anything) to it. They’re particularly awful though, I’m not making a sweeping generalization about those orgs

Personally I would call my state’s small business development center, SCORE, etc and see what outfits they were aware of that could make use of the tools

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Thanks for the vacuum recommendations. Just picked up a 12 gallon rigid 5hp and it's great. So much more suction.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have one of those it's the bees knees.
I'd recommend the blue filters that rubber band on. They do great with drywall dust and stuff, and way cheaper than the hepa filters.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

FCKGW posted:

I’ve never seen a contractor NOT have a Rigid vac in the back of their pickup. That’s a good enough endorsement for me.

Yea I've got a rigid 4 that the folks I bought my house from left behind. It's been amazing. New filter every year and this thing just keeps going. It's been in my service for 7 years now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have one of the Rigid steel ones and so long as I'm only using it for sawdust, I just occasionally blow out the filter with my compressor and it's good as new.

Just cleaned my shop with it, actually!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

There's some broken shatterproof glass in my alley, which I'd like to get picked up. I have a big Ridgid shop vac, would that handle it? Should I take the filter out first?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

more falafel please posted:

There's some broken shatterproof glass in my alley, which I'd like to get picked up. I have a big Ridgid shop vac, would that handle it? Should I take the filter out first?

I'd pick up the bulk of it with a dustpan and a broom first. Shattered glass can't be good for the vac

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the filter only filters the air exiting the vac not entering and protects the motor from dust and chunks of wood n poo poo. It just enters from the hose zone and dumps into the bucket.

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011

I would not remove the filter. It should be fine. I accidentally busted the rear window out of my parents' truck camper shell years ago onto a dirt driveway and vacuumed it all up with their craftsman vac. That thing is still going strong today, and with the same filter as well. (They use it for outdoor/shop use only, so filters get shaken off into the garbage and hit with compressed air once a year or so until they literally start falling apart)
Shop vacs are tough.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What's this weird little hammer for

1" chisel for scale

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

CommonShore posted:

1" chisel for scale

Looks like a hammer for shaping metal sheet. I could be wrong of course but I've seen similar ones used for bashing out dents.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Looks like a hammer for shaping metal sheet. I could be wrong of course but I've seen similar ones used for bashing out dents.

Yep, looks like a "body hammer".

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

1" chisel for scale

Post it in the metalworking thread but I think forums poster Ambrose Burnside uses something similar for their repousse work (which is basically Very Fancy sheet metal work)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It looks like a cobbler's hammer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yep! Blacksmith thread found it at the same time! Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone ever warranty a Ridgid product? I have an nice extension cord I bought from them 2 years ago that literally blew up (smoke and spark shot out) that I'd like to get replaced under warranty.

I filled out a repair form but haven't heard anything from them. They don't seem to sell it at Home Depot anymore either.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What's the outdoor battery powered mower/ trimmer. I'm eventually looking to move to that. First would be a trimmer and if possible a tiller then. Mower replacement when my craftsman is several years old.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ego is top tier but Ryobi's offerings are perfectly serviceable for the average homeowner. Kobalt makes decent mowers although no one really talks about their other yard tools. Really depends on how much yard you need to take care of.

Milwaukee (no mower) and DeWalt also make decent yard equipment if you're already in or want to join that ecosystem.

edit: As far as battery powered tillers is seems to only be Kobalt that makes anything worth while so that might limit your options.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 8, 2021

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Kobalt's lawn tools are just Green Works rebrands by the way. Unfortunately the batteries aren't interchangeable without modifying the casing but some other attachments are compatible for instance their trimmers with the interchangeable tool heads.

Makita also has a very comprehensive line and if you're in their 18v system you can get a bit more powerful tools since they do offer 36v versions of some like mowers and chain saws.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't need a big one honestly that Ryobi 40v end of the trimmer one would be all I need I have 12sqft of garden in 4x4 beds. And maybe a small area on the side of the house my daughter is begging to turn into strawberries next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a greenworks 40v mower, trimmer, and tiller that I'm very happy with for my 4900 sqft city lot (that's overall size, not actual lawn size). I also got a snowblower which is fine but isn't quite powerful enough for a Minnesota winter. My mom has their 60 or 80 volt snow blower and it apparently works a lot better than mine.