Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Wallet posted:

Hard to say what it's up to—they will start to droop like that if they don't get enough water (or if they get too much water). Have you repotted it recently? For its size that doesn't look like very much pot.

I haven't repotted it recently. I'm not sure if that would help, it really does look like it slumped from its own weight somehow. The weird part is that smaller branches also did that and that it's all in the same direction. I just hope I can fix it somehow so it doesn't stay this way. I don't have the space for a trailing jade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

I haven't repotted it recently. I'm not sure if that would help, it really does look like it slumped from its own weight somehow.

If it actually slumped from its own weight then it may not have sufficient roots to support itself, but if it's just getting weepy it's likely something else.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Ok Comboomer posted:

This weekend is like the very last weekend I’m giving myself to air-layer my maples. Have you considered air layering that second trunk on the left into its own separate tree?

In any case, I’d probably prune it right off. The tree is young enough that I doubt you want to strengthen it into a double-apex this early. If you’re not worried about preserving that trunk I’d just lop the whole thing off (with enough space left over for dieback, of course) sooner rather than later before it gets super hot.

You can also wait to prune at the end of summer/beginning of fall when the leaves start to drop.

Pruning off the whole branch to the left of the rift would trash the looks of the tree, at least for the near future. The lower parts of those branches contribute to the very nice spread structure.

Pic of the tree from last year shortly after it was planted:

Wasn't nearly as pronounced. It's as if that section of the tree decided to lean way out for some reason.

Would tying branches to each other (with appropriate padding to protect the bark) be a viable way to change branch angle and encourage some of the foliage to start closing the rift?

Anyhow, I'd want to try to remedy the rift with minor pruning and such and give it a couple years before taking any drastic action. Tree's 15 or so years old, so it's young but not like vigorous sapling young.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Queen Victorian posted:

Pruning off the whole branch to the left of the rift would trash the looks of the tree, at least for the near future. The lower parts of those branches contribute to the very nice spread structure.

Oh God no, not the whole branch to the left of the rift (unless I'm mistaken): I'm just talking about the thicc boi that comes off of that trunk with the weird curlyque. There look like there are a bunch of other, smaller, straighter trunks that come off of that main offshoot, not counting the two other big trunks.

Remove the one that hangs off of the side and the tree immediately looks more balanced on both sides of the rift.

Plus taking that branch's energy load away will promote stronger growth in the branches next to it, making them more quickly fill in the rift instead of further opening the split. And the big ugly branch is also shading all of those branches in the rift, you can tell that the light is primo there by how much it's grown relative to them. Remove it and they'll grow as much over the next year to fill in that space and match the big tall trunk to the right.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 29, 2021

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Anyone know what's happened here? The tulips have been great this year, and i thought I'd try to propagate some new ones. This one's an obvious candidate

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

welp looks like I killed my favorite juniper leaving it in the 95 degree sun on concrete for a whole day.

It did that all last year, but I guess it was too soon in the season, there’s a golden ring in the middle and a lot of the foliage is crispy and blue

one of my satsukis burned a bit, two of my maples ended up burning some leaves when they fell over for a few hours, in non-bonsai news some euphorbia and monstera and other tropicals /succulents got bad sunburn, on the whole not a great week

however:

the followup to the shot from a few days ago

the getsutoku satsukis are starting to flower

and they’re as radical as I’d hoped

totally worth driving across half the state to find those last few

Xmaspigs
May 2, 2021
I've been trying to find a general gardening thread so if this is the wrong thread I apologize. I'm super stoked though on a concept I've been thinking about for years but have been too lazy/busy to implement properly; this is the year I'm going hard on it though. The idea? Corn circle.

Gardens should be a place of refuge right? Well I decided to play off the idea of sister mounds(corn, peas beans and squashes) by making a giant circle of corn in the middle of my garden with beds radiating out from it almost in the shape of sun Ray's. The inside of the circle is planted in clover with various lettuces and other not so heat tolerant plants. The idea is that when it is hot as poo poo outside and the corn is tall I can escape the world by hanging out inside the corn circle

I am now planning on putting t-posts in the middle and hanging agribon as a sort of mosquito net so o can move into my corn circle for the rest of the year. I have a cooler for beer and a table/benches ready to go once its tall enough. I also am making an arbor out of runner beans as the entrance.

My apologies if this is the wrong thread but I think it's a rad idea and wanted to share it. Happy horticulturaling to everyone!

I

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Xmaspigs posted:

I've been trying to find a general gardening thread so if this is the wrong thread I apologize. I'm super stoked though on a concept I've been thinking about for years but have been too lazy/busy to implement properly; this is the year I'm going hard on it though. The idea? Corn circle.

Gardens should be a place of refuge right? Well I decided to play off the idea of sister mounds(corn, peas beans and squashes) by making a giant circle of corn in the middle of my garden with beds radiating out from it almost in the shape of sun Ray's. The inside of the circle is planted in clover with various lettuces and other not so heat tolerant plants. The idea is that when it is hot as poo poo outside and the corn is tall I can escape the world by hanging out inside the corn circle

I am now planning on putting t-posts in the middle and hanging agribon as a sort of mosquito net so o can move into my corn circle for the rest of the year. I have a cooler for beer and a table/benches ready to go once its tall enough. I also am making an arbor out of runner beans as the entrance.

My apologies if this is the wrong thread but I think it's a rad idea and wanted to share it. Happy horticulturaling to everyone!

I

That's really cool and I hope you post an update if the idea works out.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Xmaspigs posted:

I

Definitely a rad idea! I’ve seen it done with sunflowers before on a smaller scale

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Help, I think my succulent has fungus. This plant was an impulse buy from a sale table at a garden store. It looked kinda beat up when I got it, but the old leaves are looking worse rather than better. The smallest leaves are new growth, so it doesn't seem to be dying. What should I do?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Yoruichi posted:

Help, I think my succulent has fungus. This plant was an impulse buy from a sale table at a garden store. It looked kinda beat up when I got it, but the old leaves are looking worse rather than better. The smallest leaves are new growth, so it doesn't seem to be dying. What should I do?

Are you sure it's a fungus? It looks a lot like someone rubbed off the farina (epicuticular wax) and then the leaves burned.

Ed: Some succulents, Echeveria among them, have a thin coating of whitish wax on them which helps keep them from getting cooked by UV (among other things). Unfortunately they can't regenerate it if it gets rubbed off.

It could also be powdery mildew but it's hard to tell from the photos and usually it's, for lack of a better word, chunkier.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 29, 2021

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Wallet posted:

Are you sure it's a fungus? It looks a lot like someone rubbed off the farina (epicuticular wax) and then the leaves burned.

Oh! Yes it could be that. It was stuffed on a crowded table at the store so could have been rubbed by the other plants etc.

Should I remove the brown leaves or leave them until they die of their own accord?

If it does have mildew, how do you treat that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yoruichi posted:

Oh! Yes it could be that. It was stuffed on a crowded table at the store so could have been rubbed by the other plants etc.

Should I remove the brown leaves or leave them until they die of their own accord?

If it does have mildew, how do you treat that?

Leave them and let them die of their own accord, ripping them off early is like peeling off a scab way too early

if it has mildew you’ll want to keep it dry and hit it with some antifungal spray like bonide

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Leave them and let them die of their own accord, ripping them off early is like peeling off a scab way too early

Yeah, generally when a plant wants to get rid of a leaf it will suck the good poo poo out of it and it will basically fall off. The only reason to take them off before the plant decides it doesn't want them anymore is aesthetic (unless it has pests on it, anyway).

If it is actually powdery mildew you'll want to keep it away from your other plants while you treat it.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

doesn't look like powdery mildew, that's not terribly common in succs either

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
day 2/2.5 of rainstorms, holding steady at 48-49 F all day, lots of rain

I was scared the monstera wouldn’t be able to take it but so far so good? I’ll bring it inside tonight tho

cactus dungeon under the porch holding so far

so far so dry :zpatriot:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

day 2/2.5 of rainstorms, holding steady at 48-49 F all day, lots of rain

I don't know why it decided a three day weekend was a good time for three days of rain but I hate it.

Also I made new labels for the indoor plants I got since the last time I did the whole thing with the acetate and the printer and the heat transfer etc etc and of course I figured out that I missed one just after I finished putting on the final layer of polyurethane. Ugh.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So a nice old couple sells super cheap weird plants at my local farmers market and I got this, what I think is an aloe variety, for like a couple dollars. I repotted it and found these... little things inside it. Insect eggs? No idea. Plant seems happy so I left them.

Bonus confused cactus flowering on the wrong holiday.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

skylined! posted:

So a nice old couple sells super cheap weird plants at my local farmers market and I got this, what I think is an aloe variety, for like a couple dollars. I repotted it and found these... little things inside it. Insect eggs? No idea. Plant seems happy so I left them.

It's likely one of the saprophytic fungi that commonly show up in potting soil (because they eat decaying organic matter and a lot of it is humus); I wouldn't worry about it.

The plant looks like one of the climbing aloes which are now in their own genus Aloiampelos, probably Aloiampelos ciliaris.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 31, 2021

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wallet posted:

It's likely one of the saprophytic fungi that commonly show up in potting soil (because they eat decaying organic matter and a lot of it is humus); I wouldn't worry about it.

The plant looks like one of the climbing aloes which are now in their own genus Aloiampelos, probably Aloiampelos ciliaris.

Oh awesome, that makes sense. Thanks!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I recently made the jump from 'peeson that has too many plants in their house' to 'insane person that bought a whole greenhouse for their plants'.

This has been a huge learning experience for me, because to be frank I tend to be a little on the dumb side when it comes to caring for anything. We got the greenhouse put up at the middle of March, and I promptly moved most of my houseplants in. The thing I didn't plan for is shade and how my delicate little always-in-a-house plants were going to handle FULL SUN ALL DAY. I lost... Many of my most beloved plants to sunburn. Finally got a suncloth (70%) which has stabilized the issue, and now most of the plants that live in the greenhouse have recovered, and many are bouncing back better than ever before.

Anyway, I love my greenhouse and would like to see any other goon's setups, please?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

That drat Satyr posted:

This has been a huge learning experience for me, because to be frank I tend to be a little on the dumb side when it comes to caring for anything. We got the greenhouse put up at the middle of March, and I promptly moved most of my houseplants in. The thing I didn't plan for is shade and how my delicate little always-in-a-house plants were going to handle FULL SUN ALL DAY. I lost... Many of my most beloved plants to sunburn. Finally got a suncloth (70%) which has stabilized the issue, and now most of the plants that live in the greenhouse have recovered, and many are bouncing back better than ever before.

The leaf loss probably wasn't because you hosed something up necessarily so much as it is that house plants aren't really prepared for regular sun. Most of what causes leaves to burn is UV which windows block a great deal of, so even if the overall visible light the plant is getting is unchanged it's going to have a hard time adjusting from indoors to out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah but it’s a greenhouse, and its glazing should block a good portion of UV.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Wallet posted:

The leaf loss probably wasn't because you hosed something up necessarily so much as it is that house plants aren't really prepared for regular sun. Most of what causes leaves to burn is UV which windows block a great deal of, so even if the overall visible light the plant is getting is unchanged it's going to have a hard time adjusting from indoors to out.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty certain that the way I was overwintering several of my normally "outside" plants in the warmer months didn't help, because our house is just exceptionally dark with few, small windows. I basically had them all on the island in our kitchen with a pot rack with growlights ziptied on as the only "sun" they were getting from Nov-March, so they definitely should have been eased into the sunlight a bit slower than my dumbass throwing them straight in there with absolutely no shade. The greenhouse does have UV coating on it, but honestly I've spooked myself so bad with this that I don't think I'll trust it without the shade cloth, even for my succulents and cacti.

Either way, they're pretty happy now and have tons of new growth post-frying, even my notoriously slow-growing aloe seems to already have kicked off the stress and is greening back up nicely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Someone on Reddit has a fasciated pineapple that’s pretty neat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gardening/comments/nq6ank/fascinated_pineapple_is_ripe_last_update/

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Thank you for the advice!

I noticed the plant in the background below also had spots of white fuzz, so I have sprayed them both with an anti-fungal and moved them off the windowsill to a warmer/drier spot. Now the anxious wait :ohdear:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

This is a good point :downs:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I had a rabbit in my yard at the beginning of the season gnawing on poo poo but then it stopped showing up. In the last couple of weeks I kept seeing the same rabbit running out of there when I'd go out but I couldn't figure out what it was eating because none of the plants seemed abused. I was doing some weeding earlier and I guess I know why now:

I hope they don't ravage everything when they emerge.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Any good wasp/hornet traps y’all recommend? Mostly for paper wasps and the like. I just busted a few trying to build a nest in one of my tree trunk covers.

Are any of those electric traps any good?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

Any good wasp/hornet traps y’all recommend? Mostly for paper wasps and the like. I just busted a few trying to build a nest in one of my tree trunk covers.

Are any of those electric traps any good?
I've only ever used those little carpenter bee traps which work well. No idea about wasps, but you might ask in the pest control thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944991

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've only ever used those little carpenter bee traps which work well. No idea about wasps, but you might ask in the pest control thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944991

Oh right, I forgot that there’s a pest control thread now. Thanks, I’ll check over there.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So my Epiphyllum oxypetalum is giving me double flower blooms, and has 5 more flower nodes on the way. It dropped two more flowers in the last two weeks, after the initial flower more than a month ago. I have no idea why it is flowering so much, but not complaining, unless it's a sign of distress or something. It smells amazing.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

skylined! posted:

So my Epiphyllum oxypetalum is giving me double flower blooms, and has 5 more flower nodes on the way. It dropped two more flowers in the last two weeks, after the initial flower more than a month ago. I have no idea why it is flowering so much, but not complaining, unless it's a sign of distress or something. It smells amazing.

I haven't grown one myself but I know a lot of people have problems getting them to bloom at all and it looks nice and healthy so I'd say you're doing something right. When they're happy and getting enough light they can apparently keep pumping out blooms for months and months.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Poppies!

And some ranunculus from earlier on.

I’ll have more stuff later, my dahlias are starting to get huge and the sweet peas are flowering as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Holy poo poo. It finally happened. I procrastinate on building a bench long enough and finally the yard rabbits have a go at the azaleas. And I mean a real go. The Gerard whites, including the one I posted, are totally wrecked. All the wings clipped right off. Like, I have to totally reshape them now.

I literally keep rabbits, and I aspire to love all buns, but I’m like “get a BB gun” angry at this moment.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ok...I’ve calmed down. This is an opportunity. Yes. It is an opportunity to refine my ramification and reduce all of my threes, fours, and fives to twos.

They’ve kept their essential character, and they will bounce back, and if I’m good I should be able to guide them back to glory

But fuuuuuuuck these rabbits and fuuuuuuuuuuck me too

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
get the bb gun and a stew pot. this has a holistic resolution.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Stringent posted:

get the bb gun and a stew pot. this has a holistic resolution.

Yeah this. Also I use capsaicin/pepper-based repellant, and it does a fairly decent job of keeping rabbits and cats away if I remember to keep reapplying (I love all the cats in my neighborhood but they really need to not poo poo in my raised garden bed).

Another option is rabbit fencing, which I have around my in-ground garden plot, but it's unattractive for a decorative garden.

At my old apartment, which came with a nice garden plot that I took full advantage of, there was a rabbit problem that was exacerbated by the neighbors loving feeding them. I had mixed feelings - on the one hand, they did it so their little boy could see the bunnies (:3:) but on the other hand, the little fuckers kept eating all my poo poo :argh:

PS: re: wonky Japanese maple: I'll reply some day. Got more pictures and need to make corrections to branch flow diagram. Also now my Stella cherry is growing at ludicrous speed and the mulberry is now trying to tear the downspout off the back of the house so lots of trimming/pruning in my future.

But in the meantime, thank you for those great papers on pruning - extremely useful.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
thanks for the advice, I know what I need to do. I need to take $20 and three hours and build a goddamn bonsai bench like I planned to do a month ago and procrastinated on ever since

ironically this happens on the same day that I adopt my first new house rabbit cohort in three years. Maybe it’s a good omen?

Ultimately I spent 20 minutes clipping the trees back and giving them a bit of reshape. They really were in dire need of some branch refinement in order to progress to the next size and look more proportionally bonsai-esque and less shrubby. They’ll both bounce back and look better than before in a season or two.

But god this season’s been humbling vis-a-vis killing all my darlings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

ok...I’ve calmed down. This is an opportunity. Yes. It is an opportunity to refine my ramification and reduce all of my threes, fours, and fives to twos.

They’ve kept their essential character, and they will bounce back, and if I’m good I should be able to guide them back to glory

But fuuuuuuuck these rabbits and fuuuuuuuuuuck me too

My rabbit invader has stopped eating poo poo in my side yard now that its nest is there (I guess they stay away from the nest except when they're feeding the babies to avoid attracting predators to it) so maybe just build them a nest box or something.