Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I believe the caffeine keeps other plants from spreading when it gets into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

rufius posted:

Ya. There’s the whole vape lung thing.

There’s also the more terrifying (to me) thing where you can buy oil drum sized quantities of the vape liquid. Turns out, in that quantity, if you dip your entire hand in it, you can poison yourself and die.

This was like… 4-5 years ago and there were stories in my home town of idiots buying 55 gal drums of that poo poo, having it shipped to their house, and parceling it out to friends. They’d spill a bunch on themselves and end up in hospital.

I’ll see if I can find the news story.

The Gang Buys Vape Juice

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The start of the vaping trend drove me nuts.

If I wanted to have an inhaler for a medication, it needs to be prescribed by a doctor and subject to substance control laws depending on how dangerous and abusable it is.
If I wanted to consume something with essentially no non-vice benefit like tobacco, that is regulated for sale and taxed as part of public health measures and is disallowed in many places.
If I wanted to inhale the active addictive ingredients of tobacco with a special inhaler for entirely non-medically-necessary reasons, loving have at it citizen! Smoke your loving nuts off in a cancer ward, blow that strawberry gas right in a child's face. That's your right as a free American!

I know it's changed in the last several years as public health infrastructure has finally caught up, but loving hell those first years were annoying. It's like when Silicon Valley re-invents the bus as The Lyft Shuttle, except drugs.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fools Infinite posted:

I believe the caffeine keeps other plants from spreading when it gets into the ground.

That's correct, coffee plants drop leaves that poison the soil for most things besides other coffee plants.

Coca plants, walnuts, evergreens, oaks, and many other plants do similar things with varying degrees of effectiveness

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

That's correct, coffee plants drop leaves that poison the soil for most things besides other coffee plants.

Coca plants, walnuts, evergreens, oaks, and many other plants do similar things with varying degrees of effectiveness

Coffee: I’m going to drop leaves that poison things, and the caffeine in my fruit can kill living things if taken in mass quantity.

Humans: sweet, we’re going to collectively spend billions of dollars consuming you every year. Some of us will add a lot of sugar too.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Caffeine also gets into the marine environment and has impacts on marine plants and algaes.

If I remember correctly animals like crab also bioaccumulate the stuff-so while it's kind of funny that we may get caffeinated crab, I think it's still up in the air regarding the impact of that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

speaking of caffeine plants, did you know that camelia sinensis, the plant that produces tea leaves, only grows in this small region of the world?

wonder if climate change will also affect tea supply, it will certainly affect coffee

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats where tea is present naturally

cultivation is also in india prc taiwan sri lanka japan hawaii some parts of the american south kenya tanzania argentina colombia and brazil

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

actionjackson posted:

speaking of caffeine plants, did you know that camelia sinensis, the plant that produces tea leaves, only grows in this small region of the world?

It absolutely grows in more places than that.

They grow tea in Scotland and Vancouver.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 31, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Don't worry some pharma company will call it a treatment for Alzheimer's and invent a pill that costs $3800 a month.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

actionjackson posted:

…snip…

wonder if climate change will also affect tea supply, it will certainly affect coffee

…snip…

They just rediscovered a coffee varietal that is more like Arabica in flavor that likes heat. All is not lost as we proceed to burn this sumbitch of an Earth.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Democratic Pirate posted:

Coffee: I’m going to drop leaves that poison things, and the caffeine in my fruit can kill living things if taken in mass quantity.

Humans: sweet, we’re going to collectively spend billions of dollars consuming you every year. Some of us will add a lot of sugar too.

Onions, Garlic, Leeks, etc: I'm going to store all the energy I collect from the sun in an underground bulb, and will fill it with irritating chemicals that vaporize when it's damaged to protect it from being eaten

Humans: ima eat that

Chiles, peppers, etc: I will create a chemical that simulates intense burning in mammals so that only birds will eat my fruit so they don't get destroyed during digestion

Humans: ima eat that

Mint, peppermint, spearmint, wintergreen, etc: we'll develop a chemical that irritates and numbs to deter mammals from eating it.

Human: ima eat that to cool off from the peppers

Coffee: welp I'm boned
Coca: tell me about it
Cacao/cocoa: well, crap

Horseradish, Ginger: hey guys sorry we're late what did we miss?

Humans: [hunger intensifies]

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

horseradish can stay in the ground tbh

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Yes, and grow easily spotted white flowers that I can use to find it, dig it up and eat all of it, off the ground like a animal

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Bubblyblubber posted:

Yes, and grow easily spotted white flowers that I can use to find it, dig it up and eat all of it, off the ground like a animal

animals know better, as was just established

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

Humans: ima eat that cultivate that far and wide

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
worst case, margins in coffee and tea easily can easily justify indoor growing ops

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Bubblyblubber posted:

:hmmyes:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Humans: haha silly plants you tried to protect yourself so you could reproduce and failed lol how stupid r u
Peppers, coffee et al, now growing all across the world in multiple regions and to lengths never before seen: o poo poo u got us

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ranbo das posted:

Humans: haha silly plants you tried to protect yourself so you could reproduce and failed lol how stupid r u
Peppers, coffee et al, now growing all across the world in multiple regions and to lengths never before seen: o poo poo u got us

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cilantro: gonna taste like soap, but only to some people

:argh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ranbo das posted:

The plants that were native to those areas before humans showed up:

(They can’t say anything because they’re gone)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Phanatic posted:

It absolutely grows in more places than that.

They grow tea in Scotland and Vancouver.

wtf loving wikipedia

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I read a lot of science fiction, and the one dystopian thing that scares me the most is a future without coffee.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

wtf loving wikipedia

wikipedia lists the natural uncultivated spread. you gotta read poo poo dude

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah but probably not Wikipedia

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wikipedia lists the natural uncultivated spread. you gotta read poo poo dude

i have a lot of other things going on with my life

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Are you guys luddites or high school teachers from 2001 or something? Wikipedia is fine

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

FrozenVent posted:

The plants that were native to those areas before humans showed up:

(They can’t say anything because they’re gone)

fukken owned

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are you guys luddites or high school teachers from 2001 or something? Wikipedia is fine

Cites sources that wikipedia cites.

:smug:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Heffer posted:

I read a lot of science fiction, and the one dystopian thing that scares me the most is a future without coffee.

Good news! https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/a-rediscovered-species-brews-promise-for-coffees-future/article34364608.ece

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have a scathing response to tea chat but my second disc of Encarta is scratched.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

StormDrain posted:

I have a scathing response to tea chat but my second disc of Encarta is scratched.
LMAO at this poor who didn't spring for the DVD-ROM Enhanced version.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
gently caress that Encarta garbage, I roll with the 1995 Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia gangstas.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Encarta Mindmaze was dope as gently caress.

e. dammit now I'm going down the memory rabbit hole of Childcraft books and can't find them for sale in the western hemisphere.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 1, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Guest2553 posted:

Encarta Mindmaze was dope as gently caress.

e. dammit now I'm going down the memory rabbit hole of Childcraft books and can't find them for sale in the western hemisphere.

I loved that maze!

Also where in the world is Carmen SanDiego

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Guest2553 posted:

eBay seems to have enough sets that you can pick your vintage.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Yond Cassius posted:

eBay seems to have enough sets that you can pick your vintage.

They're also on Etsy.

I used to check out Make and Do from the library all the freaking time when I was a kid, and a while back I found a copy in an antique store. Love love love that '70s art and photography.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Imaging spending a thousand dollars on encyclopedias when Wikipedia exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Switchback posted:

Imaging spending a thousand dollars on encyclopedias when Wikipedia exists

I mean, if I had powerball money (and a big fancy house with one of those big two story libraries in it) I'd totally get a print version of the encyclopedia for the shelves.

Maybe not that one. Something classy like a leather bound edition or something.

Edit: also the 2019 encyclopedia is on sale and it's not like a bunch of stuff has really changed in the last couple of years or anything.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 1, 2021