Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

D-Pad posted:

Edit: lmao that's the author, how does he not realize the LEs sell different in different countries

Probably misunderstood something said whoever in the business side of things he was talking to, authors are for writing about robots and space men not sales (also I might have misunderstood what he was saying, I have no idea how the BL limited editions work)

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Arbite posted:

Well thank God, the Mortis audiobook is out June 5th.

I wonder if the story behind the delay will ever come out? Had to be something, considering every other book hit day and date.

Unless I misread something, it's out on audible today?

Edit; yep, missed that it was up for preorder today. Nevermind.

thocan fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 30, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

My ironic headcanon for the End Times is definitely Kruber becoming the Emperor of the Empire and Bretonnia and a beloved friend of Lustria, after saving the world.

My real headcanon: A Puritan Inquisitor investigated a planet that had just left a 35k year long warp storm, with a hosed up Warp Moon, warp portals at both poles, and totally overrun by Chaos, Orcs, mutant goatmen, and mutant ratmen at the same time. So they Exterminatus the moon and then the planet.

I think my preferred headcanon is that Sigmar is probably Leman Russ, and that the Emperor sent him on a quest to protect a world in the Eye of Terror that was critical to his Webway Project.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I almost couldn't handle it when they arrested my boy Eisenhorn.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Deptfordx posted:

I read Gate of Bones about a month ago, and I am honestly struggling to remember a single thing that happened in it.

Yeah, that's a book that started bad and worked its way up to mediocre.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Finished Penitent and that reveal, goddamn.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone know how you're meant to pronounce Ferren Areios' last name? I keep thinking Ah-Ree-Oss or Ah-Ray-Ohss.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Kaal posted:

I think my preferred headcanon is that Sigmar is probably Leman Russ, and that the Emperor sent him on a quest to protect a world in the Eye of Terror that was critical to his Webway Project.

I could buy him being a Custodes. Valdor could probably handle a planet on his own, and as a bonus, this is why no one knew (until Penitent) where he went.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Would Russ really tolerate the Dwarves though?

Edit: Where do I buy books these days? The BL site seems to not have novels in anything but kindle and audio books. I want paperbacks.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 30, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Demiurge4 posted:

Would Russ really tolerate the Dwarves though?

Edit: Where do I buy books these days? The BL site seems to not have novels in anything but kindle and audio books. I want paperbacks.

Yes, because they would just be Squats and therefore just abhumans.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Shroud posted:

I could buy him being a Custodes. Valdor could probably handle a planet on his own, and as a bonus, this is why no one knew (until Penitent) where he went.

I could definitely see that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gunder posted:

Does anyone know how you're meant to pronounce Ferren Areios' last name? I keep thinking Ah-Ree-Oss or Ah-Ray-Ohss.

split the difference and go with Ah-Rey-EE-Ohss

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm really enjoying Godblight so far. I'm not a huge Guilliman fan but seeing his struggles and actions in the modern imperium is really great. Also there are some sweet nurgling scenes. Good boys.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Just finished Godblight and oh boy. Gully is being just willfully obtuse about his old pops. Even if Emps isn't a god, its sort of a distinction without a difference when it comes to the powers the big E has. On the plus side, I enjoyed Totally The Emperor (Maybe, probably) yelling at Nurgle and slapping Morty into the naughty hut.

Also yes, Nurglings are the best whenever they appear. Love it when you got Death Guard picking them up to cuddle. Literally the best.

Edit:

Panama Red posted:

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend some good 40k novels written from the xenos perspective? Does such a thing exist?

Check out Path of the Dark Eldar, I absolutely love that series and it goes into all the nitty gritty of their creepy edge lord society. There's an omnibus of it with all three books.

orphean fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 31, 2021

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Gunder posted:

You can also go with Argh-eye-oss.

That is assuming English pronunciation rules. If it comes from another Latin alphabet using language and hasn't been anglasised then who knows.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gunder posted:

Foxtrot_13 posted:

You can also go with Argh-eye-oss.

That is assuming English pronunciation rules. If it comes from another Latin alphabet using language and hasn't been anglasised then who knows.

Areios is Ancient Greek for "martial", literally "of/related to Ares" (just as "martial" means "of/related to Mars", in fact!).

The Greek pronunciation would be closer to "Ah-Ray-Ohss" I think.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So going to be out and about doing some travelling next week, so I'm going to pick up an audiobook with a spare Audible credit.

So Mortis or Godblight*.

I will absolutely get around to both of them, but I want an entertaining listen for long trips, so which should I get first?

*I'm up to speed on other BL stuff (and the previous books in both series) I'm interested in, so it's just these 2 recent ones.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well Mortis kinda sucked, and if you're doing an audio-book you can't even skim through the truly dire titan sections. So I would recommend not that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh dear, that bad?

Honestly it astonishes me how you can gently caress-up writing Titan stuff, but by god BL authors have proven again and again they can do it.

Only ADB and Abnett seem able to handle them.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Just finished Pariah and Penitent in the last week. Does anyone else think that Eisenhorn may not be Eisenhorn any longer?

After he came out of the demon engine thing in Magos he has complete command over Cherubael, can show emotions again and can take on space marines in combat. I'm wondering if he got possessed by a demon in Magos.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ego-bot posted:

Just finished Pariah and Penitent in the last week. Does anyone else think that Eisenhorn may not be Eisenhorn any longer?

After he came out of the demon engine thing in Magos he has complete command over Cherubael, can show emotions again and can take on space marines in combat. I'm wondering if he got possessed by a demon in Magos.

(Magos/Pariah/Penitent) He has definitely fallen to Chaos no matter how much he thinks he's still a good guy -- Eisenhorn smiling has always been destined to be the sign that he's irredeemable now. Whether he's possessed is an open question, but unlikely.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Deptfordx posted:

So going to be out and about doing some travelling next week, so I'm going to pick up an audiobook with a spare Audible credit.

So Mortis or Godblight*.

I will absolutely get around to both of them, but I want an entertaining listen for long trips, so which should I get first?

*I'm up to speed on other BL stuff (and the previous books in both series) I'm interested in, so it's just these 2 recent ones.

Mortis is excellent for a regular 40k book but as far as the Siege of Terra series goes it is merely good. That said I'd imagine audiobooks depend a lot on the voice actor so probably whichever va you like best.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Mortis really drove home how tired I am of the whole siege, and the perpetuals, and everything else.

Let's just get it over with now and start something else.

Edit: also gently caress off Shiban! Not one backwards step, more like not one chapter read!!!

Old Woman Island fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 31, 2021

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Womp posted:

Let's just get it over with now and start something else.

Isn't that what Dawn of Fire is meant to be? I thought they described it as being a project on the scale of the Horus Heresy series.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Godblight was really great, maybe Haley's best.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
There's a very long spoilery post on reddit and it seemed very awesome re: godblight

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

D-Pad posted:

Godblight was really great, maybe Haley's best.

You are enabling my addiction something fierce

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Godblight it is then. Thx!

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
The perpetuals are such a bad story hook, they make the world feel smaller and less dynamic and every reveal about them is somehow worse and more boring than the last.

It also creates a weird obsession with tying in modern events, like John grammaticas talking about how he was the one who killed Martin Luther king jr.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Zasze posted:

The perpetuals are such a bad story hook, they make the world feel smaller and less dynamic and every reveal about them is somehow worse and more boring than the last.

It also creates a weird obsession with tying in modern events, like John grammaticas talking about how he was the one who killed Martin Luther king jr.

Wait really?

I'm pretty behind on the heresy series and haven't come across most of the perpetual stuff. I didn't really like the idea, but that's worse than I expected.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Zasze posted:

Yeah Perpetuals are full stop stupid. In my headcanon they're just crazy street preachers who are full of poo poo.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I just read Bloodlines. It wasn't my favorite of Wraight's books and I think that's due to the low level scale of the Warhammer Crimes series. If the focus is on the average people in the Imperium the story is going to be dismal and hopeless with even more pyrrhic victories than usual. The common man in the Imperium is a pair of hands whose life is drained away in some manufactorum until they die. Then they're ground into soylens viridians.

It was an interesting book but like Lords of Silence the hopelessness of it made it impossible for me to enjoy.

Also, Agusto, man. You really ought to know better.

And Naxi has the right idea. Joining the guard might get you killed, but on the other hand being dead is a better option than living in the 40k universe. And there's definitely a slim chance faithful souls are received in the God Emperor's embrace rather than being devoured by daemons for all eternity.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Zasze posted:

Grammaticas was born ~29 millennium. The other Cabal aligned perpetual killed M L K and that was kinda his deal as an assassin for him.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 1, 2021

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zasze posted:

Damon Prytanis is the one that shot Martin Luther King

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Damon Prytanis is the one that shot Martin Luther King

I apologize for getting the two perpetual cabal henchmen confused.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Humans who do know firsthand that this system is far worse than what came before is an interesting idea but the only perpetuals we see are either not doing anything about it or are wrapped up in bullshit tedious genocidal nonsense.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Unless I was reading mortis wrong or misremembering, ol perrson has been around since at least the bronze Age and is Theseus or Odysseus or someone

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Perpetuals are really dumb and should be retconned out. Do we know when the “Warhawk” is dropping?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Galvanik posted:

I just read Bloodlines. It wasn't my favorite of Wraight's books and I think that's due to the low level scale of the Warhammer Crimes series. If the focus is on the average people in the Imperium the story is going to be dismal and hopeless with even more pyrrhic victories than usual. The common man in the Imperium is a pair of hands whose life is drained away in some manufactorum until they die. Then they're ground into soylens viridians.

It was an interesting book but like Lords of Silence the hopelessness of it made it impossible for me to enjoy.

Also, Agusto, man. You really ought to know better.

And Naxi has the right idea. Joining the guard might get you killed, but on the other hand being dead is a better option than living in the 40k universe. And there's definitely a slim chance faithful souls are received in the God Emperor's embrace rather than being devoured by daemons for all eternity.

Funnily enough, I just finished Bloodlines today myself (note: spoilers discussed behind the tags).
It's ... perfectly functional noir-esque crime with a 40k paintjob, to me? I don't regret reading it for a bit of distracting fluff, and there were one or two solid moments (mainly in the last quarter) , but I'd certainly agree it's not something I'd run out and recommend to anyone. I might pick up a sequel if it shows up once it's in paperback and I've cash spare, but definitely not new in hardback, that sort of thing. And from what I've read so far of his short story at the start of No Good Men, which I think(?) is a sequel to Bloodlines, Agusto still hasn't learned...

Think I agree with you about Naxi - ironically one of a crime book's highlights was her highlighting the cognitive loops one has to jump through to want to 'thrive' in a hellscape like a typical 40k hiveworld.
Ironically, her criticisms of her parents are far more on point once you know more about Agusto. Honestly, though, the 'reveal' behind that particular problem of his was a bit of a letdown to me; it seemed a tad too jarring how many people including Naxi were riffing on his apparent faithlessness (which is very easy to work out in advance of the reveal if you're at all familiar with a recurring 'cult' and phantom scars) in one flavour or another for some time before the reveal. Namely it was a little 'too obvious' and I was hoping for a red herring and a legit twist instead. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Arbite posted:

Humans who do know firsthand that this system is far worse than what came before is an interesting idea but the only perpetuals we see are either not doing anything about it or are wrapped up in bullshit tedious genocidal nonsense.

The perpetuals working with the Cabal were basically trying to prevent all the crazy poo poo from happening