Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

eke out posted:

I saw something from the showrunner where he basically said along the lines of "you'll be able to see magic if you're a woman who can channel" -- so seems like some scenes will be from the perspectives of some characters, in some way they'll delineate?

i assume they'll come up with some visual language to make it clear when we're seeing it 'through' the eyes of some character versus when someone's doing magic we can't see

I've always hoped this would be the case but never expected it to be. Of course I also hope they give us PoV delineation through voiceovers which I know most people would hate but I would love. If it worked for Goodfellas and Peep Show it can work here imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I personally don’t think they have the budget to make it look like anything other than nonsense. Seeing as the magic system is the focal point of the books, it’s a hard thing to portray. It’s not like they have any incantations or hand movements to fall back on. We’ll see, but with what they’ve shown so far (nothing) it’s not looking promising.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Invalid Validation posted:

I personally don’t think they have the budget to make it look like anything other than nonsense. Seeing as the magic system is the focal point of the books, it’s a hard thing to portray. It’s not like they have any incantations or hand movements to fall back on. We’ll see, but with what they’ve shown so far (nothing) it’s not looking promising.

Why do you say that? Hand movements and gestures are absolutely in the books. I'm pretty sure incantations can fit right in there, too.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

why would you think they can't do anything

the Magicians had a shoestring budget compared to a big amazon prime show and they had regular magic, years ago. it's not going to be constant weaves flying everywhere (in large part because that mostly doesn't happen for quite a while) but i fully assume there'll be plenty of vfx

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

How are u posted:

Why do you say that? Hand movements and gestures are absolutely in the books. I'm pretty sure incantations can fit right in there, too.

Yeah totally. One of the things I really hope is that we get the show to go on long enough to see the difference between Aes Sedai and Aiel channelers. Because the latter do much less, if any, gestures. But we're told that when you learn to do a weave if you learn it with a gesture you have a very hard time doing the weave without that gesture and most Aes Sedai learnt most of their weaves with some sort of gesture.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Data Graham posted:

I dunno, how about if they just dispense with saidin and saidar altogether, and just call it the Power? And the Breaking and the Red Ajah and everything would just be like ":witch: bad things happen when men channel"

Seems like the only intractable problem is when someone who looks like a woman channels "man magic", and vice versa. Get rid of the distinction within the magic itself and the issue resolves, and you can have trans characters all you want.

Course then there's all the other symbolic dualities, like the Aes Sedai logo, the White and Black towers, etc — which also is terminology that ain't so great to perpetuate. Like you could have "light" and "dark" sides of the Power and both can be channeled by anyone, but some better than others, so Rand still needs someone's help at the end and so on. There's fine-tuning that would need to be done but it seems like most of the story could remain intact that way

I mean, yeah, that's a thing that could in theory happen, but there's not a single chance they're aiming for that tier of re-work of the series universe and mechanics.

e: also amazon plz we need trailers otherwise we're going to navel gaze ourselves to loving death

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

eke out posted:

I saw something from the showrunner where he basically said along the lines of "you'll be able to see magic if you're a woman who can channel" -- so seems like some scenes will be from the perspectives of some characters, in some way they'll delineate?

i assume they'll come up with some visual language to make it clear when we're seeing it 'through' the eyes of some character versus when someone's doing magic we can't see

A bunch of the answers in that interview seem deliberately unhelpful or purposefully vague (character whose name starts with "El") so I assumed that this was a tongue-in-cheek way of saying they aren't showing the magic, other than the effects. After all, since none of the viewers are women who can channel none of them would be able to see them.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I want to see the show, but I'm fully aware that it is going to be disappointing in some way. Even if the scenes they do film are amazing and perfect, the compression is going to be so much that they will inevitably be dropping scenes/characters you think are awesome. And it'll be different for every watcher.

I also think a lot of the enchantment of the series is because of the use of the PoV and everyone is at least a little bit of an unreliable narrator. That's going to be really hard to pull off in a show like this, especially as noted with the amount of compression of the material.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'll be content if its The Witcher quality. I'll be pretty bummed if its The Winx Saga or Shadow and Bone quality. I'll be really jazzed if its Mandelorian, and of course there's Game o' Thrones but man I'm just not going to get my hopes up for that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

How are u posted:

and of course there's Game o' Thrones but man I'm just not going to get my hopes up for that.

Sure about that one chief?

(Memes aside, I agree)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

How are u posted:

I'll be pretty bummed if its The Winx Saga or Shadow and Bone quality.

i didn't watch it all but i thought that the first eps seemed cool for YA fantasy -- and if nothing else its aesthetics were good and i'd be very, very happy if WoT ended up looking that decent

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Gully Foyle posted:

I want to see the show, but I'm fully aware that it is going to be disappointing in some way. Even if the scenes they do film are amazing and perfect, the compression is going to be so much that they will inevitably be dropping scenes/characters you think are awesome. And it'll be different for every watcher.

I also think a lot of the enchantment of the series is because of the use of the PoV and everyone is at least a little bit of an unreliable narrator. That's going to be really hard to pull off in a show like this, especially as noted with the amount of compression of the material.

the dramatic irony we get from every PoV is IMO what elevates this series above its peers, but it makes it uniquely more difficult to film.

some characters are going to appear dumber and relationships are going to be different, not just for time but for the reason that they're going to have to say some of their internal monologues out loud. it will help pacing--mat can just be shown constantly eating instead of reading about his stomach growling every page, but political situations where Jordan trusts the reader to make connections or infer motivations will definitely have to be explained.

things like Rand going insane will have to be handled delicately. I definitely don't want to hear his thoughts narrated or a weird echo-y conversation between Rand and Lews Therin while Rand sits there with a dumb look on his face.
same with perrin and talking to wolves. there's room to handle that visually very well I'm sure.
I can't decide if I want to actually hear dice rolling in mats head either.

i hope Amazon swung for the fences on this but every day that goes by without a real trailer (it's June!!) makes me more convinced it will just be something in the background of their bloated lineup rather than the GoT challenger it could be. I don't know if I've ever finished an Amazon original series.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I wonder if the Rand/Lews stuff could be shot like Smeagol/Gollum scenes.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Personally, I think that they're trying very hard to manage the hype. Outside of fan-places like this, most people aren't going to maintain an active interest for months on end - they'll forget about it by the time that the show premiers. Drop the trailer a few weeks before the debut, and you've got enough time to build hype without too much fading.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Colonel Cool posted:

I wonder if the Rand/Lews stuff could be shot like Smeagol/Gollum scenes.

I think you have to have different phases of Lews Therin.

1) Rand very obviously presents Gollum once during the showdown at the docks. (Though it would be a thing he's doing subtly before then)
2) you have him in a Ryan Reynolds Buried-style sequence towards the end of LoC, so there's no place for Lews Therin except as a voice
3) during ACoS/TPoD you have a visible Lews Therin among his chosen generals and clan leaders that he talks to, but nobody else sees
4) Rand presents as Gollum in KoD-TGS.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wouldn’t wait till a few weeks prior to release if I was trying to build hype on a brand new untested IP. It’s all filmed so there should be a minute or two of footage to throw out and not a couple seconds of faces staring at the camera with a cheesy line.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

In that recent Q&A someone asked the showrunner to blink twice if a trailer is coming soon and he replied with a giant :stare:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah if a show like 'the magicians' can have decent-looking magic and be working off of scifi channel budget i don't see why an amazon-backed intended contender for game of thrones wouldn't have some weight behind the special effects. we won't know until we actually see it for sure, though, but i'm sure something can be worked out that's alright.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bagrada posted:

In that recent Q&A someone asked the showrunner to blink twice if a trailer is coming soon and he replied with a giant :stare:

This post is really funny to me for some reason.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Spek posted:

Yeah totally. One of the things I really hope is that we get the show to go on long enough to see the difference between Aes Sedai and Aiel channelers. Because the latter do much less, if any, gestures. But we're told that when you learn to do a weave if you learn it with a gesture you have a very hard time doing the weave without that gesture and most Aes Sedai learnt most of their weaves with some sort of gesture.

It's not even just hand gestures, I'm doing a reread and one of the Asha'man has to stick his tongue between his teeth when he Heals people.

And they all have a different way of channeling, even among the Aes Sedai. Some of them can tell who taught someone a weave just by seeing what gestures they make.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Torrannor posted:

Honestly, I think they will just ignore it and not feature any transpeople.

I think this is what they'll do.

But they deserve to be heavily criticized if that is what they do.

Also all signs point to this as not being a real winner of a show at this point I'm not optimistic.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Jaxyon posted:

Also all signs point to this as not being a real winner of a show at this point I'm not optimistic.

What signs? The radio silence?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Synastren posted:

the marketing and what we've seen of the production both look very amateurish to me

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just wish they weren't so damned quiet about it all.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Synastren posted:

How are u posted:

I just wish they weren't so damned quiet about it all.

In general hollywood doesn't do "quiet" when poo poo is good.

Quiet usually means the opposite.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Jaxyon posted:

In general hollywood doesn't do "quiet" when poo poo is good.

Quiet usually means the opposite.

Eh I'm not so sure. I've seen them spend billions trying to polish a turd they know is bad but hope to have a huge opening weekend to recoup some of it, and fail to market good things so that they're a commercial flop but later become huge classics.

I do have exceedingly low expectations for WoT at this point though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haven't poked my head ITT in a long time, I remember seeing some hype for the casting that was announced. Why the recent (?) change in attitude? Did they put out a small and bad trailer and that's it? Wikipedia suggests no announce release date but they've finished filming already (which surprises me) :shrug:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Sab669 posted:

Haven't poked my head ITT in a long time, I remember seeing some hype for the casting that was announced. Why the recent (?) change in attitude? Did they put out a small and bad trailer and that's it? Wikipedia suggests no announce release date but they've finished filming already (which surprises me) :shrug:

Most of the recent myopic doomposting is because people are being very pessimistic and reductionist because there is no news so might as well fret.

You can safely ignore the thread for a few hundred posts.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's mostly that they've put out no trailer type stuff at all, maybe just 2-3 seconds of very tightly cut teaser footage.

That, and reckoning with the amount of cutting and condensing needed to adapt the story to TV.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's probably always good to remember that they had to delay filming and whatever for a while because of the whole global viral outbreak thing

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

That, and reckoning with the amount of cutting and condensing needed to adapt the story to TV.

That's a good thing in my book :v:

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's probably always good to remember that they had to delay filming and whatever for a while because of the whole global viral outbreak thing

Wikipedia made it sound like it was barely impacted by that :shrug: but yea I think it's fair to assume covid did no one any favors

quote:

In March 2020, filming in Prague was halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic[23] but had resumed by April.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This is like a TVIV thread between episode releases/season releases except even worse.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

amazon hates it so much they ordered a second season before anyone outside the studio has even seen a trailer

abandoning the show via the classic strategy of giving the creators millions and millions of dollars more budget

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How many shows get axed first season nowadays though?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Wikipedia made it sound like it was barely impacted by that :shrug: but yea I think it's fair to assume covid did no one any favors

They shut down again and S1 wasn't able to wrap until April 2021.

You can probably also imagine that WFH post production is not exactly a picnic.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 2, 2021

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

the marketing and what we've seen of the production both look very amateurish to me
The Witcher had hilariously lame pre-release stills and marketing. Show was still good.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Did they put out a small and bad trailer and that's it?

They've released nothing but little 2 second clips for over a year.

Their core audience is gonna be book readers, we're not gonna be spoiled we know what the gently caress happens. A proper trailer might salvage my expectations but right now they're not high.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Also the teasers have been kind of fundamentally ill-conceived for the purpose of generating excitement. Most of them were of fairly mundane looking objects: an inn, a heron-marked katana, Thom's guitar (?!). a golden dagger.

Like, imagine if Peter Jackson's LOTR had tried to drum up interest by releasing still pictures of Bilbo's pipe, Aragorn's horse, and Legolas's crossbow? It wouldn't have worked super well there either.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 2, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sab669 posted:

What Wikipedia is leaving out is that they had to shut down production a second time in May and only resumed in September. It cost a lot of money to shut down, restart, shut down, and restart again. Just trying to maintain continuity with months between shooting scenes had to be a nightmare. They were absolutely affected by COVID.

That said, I don't see any reason to panic over the six seconds of footage we've seen so far.

Unless, that is, you demand a 300 or Watchman style page for page, scene for scene, nothing changed at all duplication of the books. If that's what you want, feel free to panic, because the show ain't that. The dialogue is mostly changed, because somethings read better than they are spoken aloud and to compensate for losing the "in their head" perspective that Jordan's writing depends on. Some events and places are compressed or skipped or deferred for later because there just isn't time or money to do them all. Characters are being combined or dropped entirely because there are thousands of named characters in the Wheel of Time and no production could possibly include them all.

It is, in short, an adaptation, just like it says on the tin.

You'd think that would be obvious, but given how many people here lost their poo poo over changing Thom's instrument from a harp to a guitar, apparently it isn't. Never mind that it's a hell of a lot easier to find a good actor who can play guitar (which they did in Alexandre Willaume) than it is to find a harpist who can act. It was a harp in the book and by the Light, a harp is what they want! And if that's the hill you want to die on, then this show ain't for you, because there are a lot more changes than that coming.

Once the show is actually out, then we can debate whether the various changes were good or misguided on a case by case basis. I doubt anyone, even me, will agree with every change. Things we wanted to see won't be there, or won't be the way we imagined them in our heads. For instance, I've always hoped that when Moiraine tells the Emond's Fielders the story of the fall of Menetheren that they'd cut away and show it to us with Moiraine doing a voice over. If we don't get that I'll be disappointed, but that would take a huge amount of resources for a short scene, and maybe the money is best spent elsewhere? We'll just have to see.

Which is the tl;dr of the whole deal. Assuming it will suck rear end and bring shame to all WoT fans...or for that matter assuming that it'll be a genre redefining masterpiece that will be studied in film schools for generations to come...is ridiculously premature. Let's wait until we have some actual episodes to watch, and then rip it to shreds, because we're goons and that's what goons do. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hexel posted:

Their core audience is gonna be book readers, we're not gonna be spoiled we know what the gently caress happens.

I don't agree with that at all. Yea sure, readers will be the ones driving the hype train but that's no reason to put spoilery stuff in a trailer.

jng2058 posted:

Unless, that is, you demand a 300 or Watchman style page for page, scene for scene, nothing changed at all duplication of the books.

Even that I'm sure people will bitch :v:

I'm definitely still optimistic for the series, but I'm not so attached to the books as anyone in this thread I suspect. Bring on whatever adaptations make it fit the screen better.