Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey bike thread.

So, wrapping up the sale of my 1st bike, a Harley street 750, and am looking for a replacement.

Part of me wants something with more power. Especially at the lower speeds. I think I hit 100 mph like 5 or 6 times the whole time I had the Harley. Just not that much need for it. But there were times I wished the bike had more get up and go.

That said I'm not too big a fan of the look of sport bikes, so I'd like to stay in the standard type. Cruisers I like, but are heavier than I want.

So, with all that, any recommendations?

Budget wise, I'd like to stay under $7k.

(Also, I have been looking at a triumph street cup, for years, even though it is my understanding they were not a very good bike. Can y'all give me a deeper understanding as to why it's not a good bike (if that is true)? Thanks. Here's a good reference:
https://www.gulfcoastmotorcycle.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=10463789 )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They aren't 'good' in the sense that they're just a Bonneville with some questionable styling and useless tiny bars that make it hard to ride. But they're no worse as a machine than a normal one, which is to say acceptably mediocre Just A Bike.

Sounds like you want a cb1100 or xj1300, but it's kind of hard to find something that is unfaired, not sporty, not a cruiser, not slow and somehow also not heavy. The Bonneville gets pretty close but if you want more options you'll have to move on one of those criteria. Ducati monster I guess?

E: england

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 2, 2021

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Triumph Speed Twin? Probably too new/expensive. Or something the XJ1300 Slavvy mentioned, i.e. a Bandit, ZRX, CB1300.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Bananana posted:

Hey bike thread.

So, wrapping up the sale of my 1st bike, a Harley street 750, and am looking for a replacement.

Part of me wants something with more power. Especially at the lower speeds. I think I hit 100 mph like 5 or 6 times the whole time I had the Harley. Just not that much need for it. But there were times I wished the bike had more get up and go.

That said I'm not too big a fan of the look of sport bikes, so I'd like to stay in the standard type. Cruisers I like, but are heavier than I want.

So, with all that, any recommendations?

Budget wise, I'd like to stay under $7k.

(Also, I have been looking at a triumph street cup, for years, even though it is my understanding they were not a very good bike. Can y'all give me a deeper understanding as to why it's not a good bike (if that is true)? Thanks. Here's a good reference:
https://www.gulfcoastmotorcycle.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=10463789 )

Go demo ride all the bikes you can near you!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Go demo ride all the bikes you can near you!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

It will be fine as long as you unrack the carbs. Divide and conquer! Sometimes it's good to move them around, to see where the carb "likes" to be. This is the magic of carb cleaning and tuning.

gently caress YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Please ride an Indian Scout. I guarantee you will love it

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I've never ridden a motorcycle before. I'm interested in learning to ride, getting an M endorsement on my license, and getting a bike that is at least comfortable for a few miles to work and that I can get used to for a couple of miles to work before getting serious and doing stuff like highways.

The catch is that I'm 290lb and 6'8" tall. Is there any sort of new or used bike that would be a good starter?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

I've never ridden a motorcycle before. I'm interested in learning to ride, getting an M endorsement on my license, and getting a bike that is at least comfortable for a few miles to work and that I can get used to for a couple of miles to work before getting serious and doing stuff like highways.

The catch is that I'm 290lb and 6'8" tall. Is there any sort of new or used bike that would be a good starter?

Rebel 500.

Alternatively: you are chunky enough to qualify for a ninja 650 or sv650 for a first bike, with the caveat that you'll have to be more careful than most.

Also highways are the easiest, least challenging part of riding and not really relevant to anything (seems like an american-specific obsession tbh). City streets are the most dangerous place by far.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Slavvy posted:

They aren't 'good' in the sense that they're just a Bonneville with some questionable styling and useless tiny bars that make it hard to ride. But they're no worse as a machine than a normal one, which is to say acceptably mediocre Just A Bike.

Sounds like you want a cb1100 or xj1300, but it's kind of hard to find something that is unfaired, not sporty, not a cruiser, not slow and somehow also not heavy. The Bonneville gets pretty close but if you want more options you'll have to move on one of those criteria. Ducati monster I guess?

E: england

Still thinking of a Yamaha xsr900

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

GWBBQ posted:

You’re like the case study for people a DR650 would make a good first bike for. Might need some suspension improvements. Also a KLR650 (but don’t get that, get a DR).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Coydog posted:

It will be fine as long as you unrack the carbs. Divide and conquer! Sometimes it's good to move them around, to see where the carb "likes" to be. This is the magic of carb cleaning and tuning.

This is great advice. Also remember to take all the carbs apart at the same time so that you can clean the pieces in bulk. Efficient!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

This is great advice. Also remember to take all the carbs apart at the same time so that you can clean the pieces in bulk. Efficient!

:stare:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Can ya just run that mess through the parts cleaner, then?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Revvik posted:

Dishwasher, just put pinesol in the detergent hatch

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Isn’t that what I said?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

You joke but generally this is what I do and it only becomes a problem if you're putting it together weeks later.

I do not recommend this method for the diy mechanic.

Revvik posted:

You can submerge them in there no problem provided all the rubber parts are out! If you have good solution it just about flash dries by itself!!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Regarding the thread title:

I parked Fat Bob out front this morning, after coming back from the gym, as I'll be riding it later today as well after work.

My wife just walked back from a swim at the nearby university pool, as she was coming up on our street, she spied, in her words "3 hot blondes in tight shorts, halter tops, oohing and aahing over your bike. Then when they saw me walk up to our house, they looked a little bit disappointed."

She even called out to me as she came in the house so I could go out and marvel at said blondes, but I was too engrossed in work to respond to her saying hello and she only told me this 3 minutes later when I saw her in the kitchen later.

drat it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Dear Penthouse. I didn't think it would happen to me, but ...

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
drat those sound like some cool dudes you just missed out on meeting

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Hah!

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Usually I just get Fat Bobs asking about my bike.

(jk my hot neighbor talked to me about bikes but one of his is a Himalayan and I have standards)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

I parked Fat Bob out front this morning, after coming back from the gym, as I'll be riding it later today as well after work.

My wife just walked back from a swim at the nearby university pool, as she was coming up on our street, she spied, in her words "3 hot blondes in tight shorts, halter tops, oohing and aahing over your bike. Then when they saw me walk up to our house, they looked a little bit disappointed."

She even called out to me as she came in the house so I could go out and marvel at said blondes, but I was too engrossed in work to respond to her saying hello and she only told me this 3 minutes later when I saw her in the kitchen later.

drat it.

And then they rode off on Mr. Snuffleupagus. Polkaroo was there too, I can't believe you missed it!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
At no point in the story is it mentioned that the 3 hot blondes in halter tops aren't also random dudes

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

drat it.
Now your wife is stuck trying to decide if she’d rather live with someone super horny for motorcycle babes or someone who doesn’t listen to a single word she says

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why not both?

I think she mentioned they were women... Pretty sure. Like 90%. Mostly.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Spiggy posted:

Usually I just get Fat Bobs asking about my bike.

New thread title?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Plank Walker posted:

drat those sound like some cool dudes you just missed out on meeting

This. Don't kid yourself. :P

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Call me Freddie because I want to ride my bicycle and not do this. I'll bet I could rebuild the carb on the first try, though.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I saw a Rebel 500 in the flesh today, outside the gym.

It's a good looking bike, way better looking in person than I thought it would be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

New thread title?

sure why not

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I totaled my BMW S1000 XR. RIP custom paintjob. I am also moving in 2 months, so there is time to fantasize about a new bike. For context I still have a Yamaha WR 250x with spare dirt wheels.

z900 rs "cafe" version has been my dream bike of sorts since its release 2 years back, so I am very tempted to get that. I love the aesthetics and the performance sounds reasonable.

A radical alternative would be Zero SR/F, but even with upgrades it sounds like the best range one can get would be ~125 miles of mixed riding, which is not exactly thrilling. A typical day-long ride is about 300 miles for me, which would mean 2 breaks to recharge provided there is infrastructure for it. And while I plan to buy a house next year, foreseeable future involves renting, so no rapid charging at home, just the outlet plug.

All of this probably means I am just getting the z900 rs, but I am open to thoughts and suggestions - particularly curious to hear from current Zero owners.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lol how bad do you think this poor bike had it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because why?!?!? I have to know!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not sure there's any other way for that sentence to end

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Time for my annual fly and rent ride in rockies trip again. The only bikes left for me to try out are a R800GS, R1200GS, and R1200RT. I kind of want to give the R800GS a try to round out my middle-ish weight adv bike road test, having had the AT last year and Triumph Tiger 800 the year before. But also it seems even less fun the the triumph. I'm not really interested in the big GS, but the megadadbike RT is kinda maybe tempting, although it's also a lot more expensive.
So, R800GS or Tiger 800 again? I could get the Striple R 675 again too, but this trip will be a long one and my knees will hate me, even if it is the most fun bike of them all.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Time for my annual fly and rent ride in rockies trip again. The only bikes left for me to try out are a R800GS, R1200GS, and R1200RT. I kind of want to give the R800GS a try to round out my middle-ish weight adv bike road test, having had the AT last year and Triumph Tiger 800 the year before. But also it seems even less fun the the triumph. I'm not really interested in the big GS, but the megadadbike RT is kinda maybe tempting, although it's also a lot more expensive.
So, R800GS or Tiger 800 again? I could get the Striple R 675 again too, but this trip will be a long one and my knees will hate me, even if it is the most fun bike of them all.

Out of those I would actually go for the 1200GS: to know what all the fuss is about, and because from all accounts it's a surprisingly nimble, fun to ride, bike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The F800GS is an intensely bland bike. It doesn't even have any baffling engineering choices like you'd expect out of BMW.

There's probably a Honda logo hiding underneath the paint.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 11, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

High Protein posted:

Out of those I would actually go for the 1200GS: to know what all the fuss is about, and because from all accounts it's a surprisingly nimble, fun to ride, bike.

ya lol the 800 is horribly boring and the GS is actually pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The f800 is just as maddeningly German as the bigger bikes but with none of the benefits in exchange, it just looks like a basic parallame twin. Just get a versys or something instead.

The big GS definitely has aspects that make it worthwhile for some people. It's never been a matrix of qualities that interest me at all or remotely make up for the truckload of bullshit imo, but if I had a whole lot more money, never worked on my own bike and did a whole lot of touring that might not be the case.