  • Post
BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

~Coxy posted:

I would love to see some good benchmarks of games that are compiled for ARM and Metal but there's no way this is true.

It's not. So far AnandTech's review is still the best comparative testing I've found:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested/3

M1's GPU competes well with mobile graphics cards like the AMD 560X and Nvidia GTX 1650. It's nowhere near the 5700XT's class.

M1 seems to cap its GPU power at about 10W. The discrete GPUs it's trading blows with use a lot more.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The thing you can say about it is that it's easily one of the best iGPUs ever made. Like look at Gamers Nexus' iGPU benchmark tests they did a few months back and consider that Intel's current integrated graphics can barely run CSGO at a playable framerate and the M1 is happily running stuff like Tomb Raider at 60fps. When/if the 16 core version comes out that's going to be extremely interesting.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
The macbook air runs Sims 4 at 60fps which is good enough for me, as one of the few games I play on the mac

But gtx1650 peformance is impressive considering that card was a lower mid range desktop card ~1 generation ago and took up 2 PCI-E slots for cooling now running on a fanless cheese wedge laptop as thin as my phone.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This is all true, it's fast and efficient as heck. Let's remember the architecture advantage it has with the memory, cpu and gpu all piled up next to each other letting them speak to each other quickly and efficiently. Integrated memory thing must be a near freebie as the memory is going to be 100 percent allocated by the CPU anyway. As a consequence if they need to give a pro imac more video memory, that could force the graphics chip and memory (or part of it) off package and further away from the CPU.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And apparently the Dolphin Nintendo emulator runs very well on the M1 and it's usually known for sucking up all the power.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The recent Dolphin blog post on M1 is worth a read, but I wish they had some comparisons between M1 and a "normal" PC rather than a 9900K 3080 monster that obviously smashes the M1.

Barefeats has XPlane and Total War comparisons but that's Intel code.

Is CS:GO or DOTA2 compiled for ARM yet? Not that those are the most demanding games but it would give us a comparison.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If this list can be believed:
https://www.macgamerhq.com/apple-m1/native-mac-m1-games/

The only major game that is ARM native is WoW.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

~Coxy posted:

If this list can be believed:
https://www.macgamerhq.com/apple-m1/native-mac-m1-games/

The only major game that is ARM native is WoW.

This is true as far as I know, Baldur's Gate 3's Mac version is going to be the first big ARM release for M1 once it actually fully comes out.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

I'll save you the click / trip: it's Jon Prosser with his leak that:

the new M1X Mac Mini will get flatter

the power brick will be moved outside

it'll get the round MagSafe connector that the M1 iMac got

There'll be four TB3/4 ports, two USB-A ports, HDMI port

good luck plugging more than 2 things into those TB ports lmao. these 'leak renders' always gently caress something up like that

i'm not sure why it would have the round magnetic connector when the whole reason that's on the imac is that it's so thin it precludes having a conventional plug on it. no problem like that with the mini, so all you'd be doing with that is increasing the bill of materials on your most utilitarian, cheapest computer. i feel like you can tell when someone's blowing smoke up their own arse with this kind of stuff - 'what's two things they've been doing recently? ok make it fukin flat and put the magnetic power cord on it'

then again i could be completely wrong; this is the company that wrecked their laptop keyboards for 4 years then tried to fix it by putting a condom in it

njsykora posted:

This is true as far as I know, Baldur's Gate 3's Mac version is going to be the first big ARM release for M1 once it actually fully comes out.

games devs and apple's OS strategy do not mix lmao, given that seemingly 3/4s of my mac steam library turned unplayable when they turned off 32-bit support.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 27, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

have any of the console emulators actually rolled out M1 optimizations? people tweeted a bunch of stuff a while back but I haven’t seen anything concrete with the mainstream emulators

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

shrike82 posted:

have any of the console emulators actually rolled out M1 optimizations? people tweeted a bunch of stuff a while back but I haven’t seen anything concrete with the mainstream emulators

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2021/05/24/temptation-of-the-apple-dolphin-on-macos-m1/

presumably this is in the nightly builds (don't have an M1 to test)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
GPU chat is really interesting, thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If the new M1X rMBPs actually do ship with 16/32 GPU cores that are practically guaranteed to bump up performance over 8 GPU cores, there's gonna be a lot of sick gaming benchmarks.

Gee, maybe Oculus Rift / S would bring back support for Macs..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

If the new M1X rMBPs actually do ship with 16/32 GPU cores that are practically guaranteed to bump up performance over 8 GPU cores, there's gonna be a lot of sick gaming benchmarks.

hopefully we see revived interest in CrossOver, etc benchmarking.

All that poo poo went super quiet after like January.

Binary Badger posted:

Gee, maybe Oculus Rift / S would bring back support for Macs..

lol no

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Binary Badger posted:

Gee, maybe Oculus Rift / S would bring back support for Macs..

Yeah Facebook ain't doing anything to help Apple right now.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

Blue Scream posted:

I'm trying to access some 1.5" IBM floppy disks from the 1990s. There are a ton of cheap external floppy drives, but most of them seem to be only Windows compatible. I ordered a branded Dainty one that said it was Mac compatible, and Amazon shipped me an unbranded Windows-only drive instead :rolleyes:

Any recommendations for specific drives, or non-drive solutions? Do I have a hope of recuperating my ancient files to a 2020 i3 Macbook Air?

I'm back. Tried a lot of stuff based on the suggestions here. The saga continues.

1. Turns out the floppy disk drive could indeed access the files. Yay, step one.

2. The files are from a DOS program from the early 1990s called Professional Write. I used to be able to open/convert some of them (not all) with a former version of WordPerfect but I don't remember which one. I figure WordPerfect 6 would do the trick since it was mid-1990s.

3. I got Parallels Desktop and installed Windows 10. I downloaded WordPerfect 6, but couldn't open the program, which needs Windows 95, whoops. The idea of installing older Windows versions depressed me and made me worried it would somehow break my Mac. So:

4. I downloaded DOSBox and then downloaded the original Professional Write (Prowrite) program from Winworld, which I probably should have tried first, but:

5. DOSBox opened and I couldn't open Prowrite or access the floppies. I followed the steps for creating a new C: folder in Parallels Desktop and used the mount command to open Prowrite, but I keep getting told "the directory does not exist." I tried putting the Prowrite folder on my desktop (after opening the 7z file it came as) instead. Was still told that the directory doesn't exist.

6. I downloaded File Merlin to run with Windows 10, since it claimed to convert Prowrite files to various formats including Word and Text. It only detected one file on one of the floppies (the one I most want to access) as being readable, and then stalled on converting it at 90%.

At this point I'm annoyed enough to pay someone to do this for me, but what are the odds that anybody could rescue these old files? Is there anything else I could try on my own that doesn't require me to have a ton of technical expertise?

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 27, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am utterly shocked I am getting 50FPS on high in Final Fantasy 14 on my M1 MBA 8GB. WoW gets around the same but is far, far smoother/more consistent.

[...]

Installing poo poo in a virtual machine isn't going to break anything. If the VM doesn't work, delete it. That's the point of VMs, they're a sandbox environment.

quote:

4. I downloaded DOSBox and then downloaded the original Professional Write (Prowrite) program from Winworld, which I probably should have tried first, but:

5. DOSBox opened and I couldn't open Prowrite or access the floppies. I followed the steps for creating a new C: folder in Parallels Desktop and used the mount command to open Prowrite, but I keep getting told "the directory does not exist." I tried putting the Prowrite folder on my desktop (after opening the 7z file it came as) instead. Was still told that the directory doesn't exist.

Why are you messing around with Parallels Desktop while trying to use DOSBox? I don't understand how creating a new C: folder there (and... what in the world do you mean by a "new C: folder"???) would help with getting the files off the floppies into the DOSBox environment.

quote:

6. I downloaded File Merlin to run with Windows 10, since it claimed to convert Prowrite files to various formats including Word and Text. It only detected one file on one of the floppies (the one I most want to access) as being readable, and then stalled on converting it at 90%.

So whatever File Merlin is, it failed, but... I hope that this sentence as-written is not actually true, as in, you shouldn't be keeping these files on floppies. They're files. Copy them out of the floppies entirely within MacOS, then disconnect the floppy drive and work on importing the files into DOSBox or Parallels or whatever. There's literally no reason to put wear and tear on old floppy disks unnecessarily, and the files can import fine regardless of whether they're currently on floppy disks.

quote:

At this point I'm annoyed enough to pay someone to do this for me, but what are the odds that anybody could rescue these old files? Is there anything else I could try on my own that doesn't require me to have a ton of technical expertise?

I think you tripped yourself up on something related to importing files into a DOSBox virtual machine and gave up too fast. My advice is to work on that a bit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought I was having a stroke here. This isn't the Tech Relics thread, there's no reason to do every step of the pipeline using 1991 technology

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

jokes posted:

I am utterly shocked I am getting 50FPS on high in Final Fantasy 14 on my M1 MBA 8GB. WoW gets around the same but is far, far smoother/more consistent.

Think it was mentioned that WoW is one of the few 'big' games that got native ARM64 support, it was specifically added in patch 9.0.2 back last November. Hence the smoothness.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

~Coxy posted:

If this list can be believed:
https://www.macgamerhq.com/apple-m1/native-mac-m1-games/

The only major game that is ARM native is WoW.

So Steam currently lacks ARM support on MacOS, and in my experience, few games are available via the Mac App Store.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BobHoward posted:

you shouldn't be keeping these files on floppies. They're files. Copy them out of the floppies entirely within MacOS, then disconnect the floppy drive and work on importing the files into DOSBox or Parallels or whatever. There's literally no reason to put wear and tear on old floppy disks unnecessarily, and the files can import fine regardless of whether they're currently on floppy disks.

Yeah, this is what I was gonna say. If there's valuable data on floppies, step number one is to back up the data, make enough copies of the backups that you don't have to worry about loving something up, and then go from there.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

How is Apple Arcade re: gaming on an M1?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Perfect with everything I've played so far. Even NBA 2k21 which stresses everything else I have to breaking point runs well.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Interested to see how Openemu will do once it get M1 support.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Got my purple iMac last week, it is very fast and delightfully purple. I feel like its purpleness is wasted where it is, on a desk shoved against a wall where nobody can see it. Thinking about moving it to my living room so that my house guests can appreciate my tastes in coloured aluminium.

(My only complaint thus far is that the M1's hardware video encoder is blazing fast but seems to generate video that is poorer in quality at the same bitrates than the Intel QSV encoder in the cheap PC I use as a Plex server. I'm not an expert on that stuff so I dunno if that's just the way it's gonna be, or if it's just going to take some time for the experts to figure out how to tune it.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

hatty posted:

Interested to see how Openemu will do once it get M1 support.

It should do pretty well since it was updated to use Metal instead of OpenGL in more recent versions.

Apple literally ported OpenGL natively to Apple Silicon (albeit the decrepit OpenGL 2.1 implementation they've always had) so for Catalina / Big Sur it hasn't been an issue for most apps..

Developers for a lot of scientific imaging apps have stated they'll never budge from supporting even the moribund version of OpenGL because it's still supported in Windows..

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Apple literally ported OpenGL natively to Apple Silicon (albeit the decrepit OpenGL 2.1 implementation they've always had) so for Catalina / Big Sur it hasn't been an issue for most apps..

It's 4.1 not 2.1, and more importantly it's not a native port. Apple provides GL API support through a wrapper "driver" which just makes Metal API calls to emulate OpenGL. It's not easy for two different drivers to share the same hardware, so this is the logical way to do it.

Since the wrapper driver has no low level code, maintenance is easy. This is likely why it still exists at all.

It's also a factor in why GL version and features were frozen long ago, but it's 2021. Anybody who cares about using modern GPU features isn't going with GL on any platform, it's a dead legacy API.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

I am utterly shocked I am getting 50FPS on high in Final Fantasy 14 on my M1 MBA 8GB. WoW gets around the same but is far, far smoother/more consistent.

Thanks for this! I legit just ordered the Mac version (it’s on sale for 23.99 and comes with a free month) and I was curious how it would run! It should run a bit better on my MBP with 16gigs I’d imagine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I stand corrected, GLViewer shows OpenGL features at 100% all the way up to 4.1 and after that, nothing, not even ARB2015.

It likely still exists for the hundreds of legacy apps that still rely on OpenGL, such as PyMOL, a molecular visualization app still popular and used by many in the chem / biotech industry.

https://sourceforge.net/p/pymol/mailman/message/36336407/

quote:

Hi David,

PyMOL uses OpenGL on macOS, so if Apple drops it, we're screwed :-( For now they have deprecated it, let's hope that they ship the libraries for a couple more years...

Thomas

--
Thomas Holder
PyMOL Principal Developer

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Does anyone else have an issue where force click lookup stops working In Safari after a while? If I restart the machine it works again, but it's guaranteed to eventually die and need another restart before too long. Bit frustrating. Also, sometimes (less frequently) TouchID is super unresponsive? I thought these were software things that would eventually just get solved by an update on my M1 Air but they've just kept happening through every update since December.

Lightningproof fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 29, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lightningproof posted:

Does anyone else have an issue where force click lookup stops working In Safari after a while? If I restart the machine it works again, but it's guaranteed to eventually die and need another restart before too long. Bit frustrating. Also, sometimes (less frequently) TouchID is super unresponsive? I thought these were software things that would eventually just get solved by an update on my M1 Air but they've just kept happening through every update since December.
I have something similar where some two finger stuff breaks. Do you have Better Touch Tool by any chance? I forget if it’s related to that but there is/was some bug where the system service for whatever thing died, and to get it going again you need to toggle the relevant setting in the mouse/trackpad preferences off and on. Like I’d toggle all the two finger stuff and it’d start working again.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

japtor posted:

I have something similar where some two finger stuff breaks. Do you have Better Touch Tool by any chance? I forget if it’s related to that but there is/was some bug where the system service for whatever thing died, and to get it going again you need to toggle the relevant setting in the mouse/trackpad preferences off and on. Like I’d toggle all the two finger stuff and it’d start working again.

Nope! Just running all stock Mac everything. It only seems to affect Safari and even then only force clicking. I did try just killing Safari's process instead of restarting after I made that post, which does seem to bring force-click-lookup back to life. I guess that's slightly easier to do. Still annoying tho.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wait I thought the M1 was magic??

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1400472242031513602?s=19

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:thunk:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I mean yeah if I was using a top level CPU a generation up from the old iMac I'd expect it to outperform as well.

Maybe a little more than it did and I'd still be pretty pissed that the M1 still won some of the benchmarks.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

"In initial tests focused on graphics, such as Geekbench 5, the ‌M1‌ ‌iMac‌ outperforms the custom 21.5-inch ‌iMac‌ with a score of 7,700, compared to the Intel Core i9 scoring 7,400. In Geekbench tests for computing, the ‌M1‌ ‌iMac‌ scores 20,000 compared to the 21.5-inch ‌‌iMac‌‌ featuring the Radeon Pro 555X, receiving a score of 15,789."

Also, Blender still has to run under Rosetta. Being able to do as well as it does vs. that chip is actually pretty impressive.

YouTube is so dumb.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There is this weird split personality with Apple Youtubers where they all gush over the M1 in their reviews of the hardware, then a week later they do a video about why they're back on an Intel Mac presumably because there's a rich algorithm vein there covering rage clicks and people insisting that the M1's overrated.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

YouTube is so dumb.

YouTube ain't the biggest problem here, the original video has a much more anodyne "M1 iMac vs. custom i9 iMac" title, it's Macrumors that slapped the clickbait headline on it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’d rather a gorillion rage-baiting puff pieces than ten needlessly, disconcertingly preachy and earnest Rene Ritchie-isms.....or one thing with Jon Prosser in it

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4