Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Helter Skelter posted:

They had a slide in their presentation but the game choice was still geared toward relatively undemanding titles:

i appreciate the effort but we've reached the point where AMD is competing with themselves so it's mostly a question of 5700G vs waiting for a hypothetical 5700GXT with a cache die with 96MB of L3 dropped onto it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since it decodes to uOps, it should be on the easier end to introduce a new instruction set, no? And then switch between the two decoders during runtime on context switches? If the instruction set is the issue, it has to be mended somehow.
I imagine it should be easier to make a variable length system fixed than doing the reverse; switch every step to using the maximum length and find a way to deal with the unused padding I'm each instruction set. (As long as the variation in length isn't too disparate. But x86 seems to be 1-15). Trying to make a fix width system variable would be a serious overhaul.

I don't know if taking x86 fixed width would in any sense. But if Apple can continue to outdevelop x64 in single thread performance, Intel and AMD are going to be under increasing pressure to give x86 a shake-up.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 4, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Threadripper Pro with Thunderbolt finally dropped:

https://youtu.be/D3msx3sm3Nk

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I imagine it should be easier to make a variable length system fixed than doing the reverse;
uOps also variable length?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Combat Pretzel posted:

uOps also variable length?

Possibly, but of the sane kind.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I got a B550 board at the beginning of the year. Am I going to have any issues needing to update BIOS on it before it will boot with a 5600G/5700G?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

WhyteRyce posted:

I got a B550 board at the beginning of the year. Am I going to have any issues needing to update BIOS on it before it will boot with a 5600G/5700G?

You likely will have to update the BIOS, but lots of b550 boards come with processorless USB BIOS flashback, if that is your concern.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

Your motherboard's support page should have a CPU support table where it will usually say if a specific BIOS version is required for a particular CPU/APU. It's likely you will have to update, though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

bobfather posted:

You likely will have to update the BIOS, but lots of b550 boards come with processorless USB BIOS flashback, if that is your concern.

Yep.

It's slightly rarer on X570 boards, but for B550 it's a pretty common feature outside of the absolute cheapest boards.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 4, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

Yep.

It's slightly rarer on X570 boards, but for B550 it's a pretty common feature outside of the absolute cheapest boards.

Yep, the basic-tier B550m-itx/ac I had in my SFF build did not have this function. Thankfully, it'd already been updated for Zen 3 but it was a tense minute looking for that version sticker lol

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bobfather posted:

Yes that's my concern since I don't have any spare older AMD procs laying around to borrow. I have a Gigabyte B550M Pro-P and the guide mentions I can flash from USB key in S5 via a qflash port so I'm assuming that's what it is.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

WhyteRyce posted:

I have a Gigabyte B550M Pro-P and the guide mentions I can flash from USB key in S5 via a qflash port so I'm assuming that's what it is.

Yeah, you're solid.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
This is interesting. Its also from WCCF so get your bag of salt ready buuuut some leaked slides from back in March 2020 popped up for Zen4 and AM5.

One of the interesting tidbits is it appears they might be putting the iGPU on the IOD?

The article mentions the slides are old and some stuff might've changed but still that would be kind've interesting. Allowing all, or nearly all, of their products to have a (weak and cut down, I'm sure there'll be some parts with more performance though if they go this route, should have plenty of space on 7-6nm for a decent iGPU due to all the pads needed on the IOD) iGPU for desktop use.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That makes a certain amount of sense, no need for an IF Interconnect for video out.

Galaxy brain solution is that's the easiest way to normalize height with cache slices on every die.

E: skips a step for RAM hits, probably decreases latency, too.

EE: super comedy option is that new GPUs are just rows of IO dies.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah I thought I remember someone smarter than me in this thread saying separating the memory controller from the iGPU would nuke performance, so integrating makes sense if that’s true

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Leaky boys:

https://twitter.com/Broly_X1/status/1400123504545046531

and

https://twitter.com/Broly_X1/status/1401862974986285065

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-zen4-and-rdna3-architectures-both-rumored-to-launch-in-q4-2022

Zen 3 Refresh/XT, Q1 2022 (AM4?)
3D Stacked Zen3, ??? (AM4?)
Zen 4, Q4 2022 (AM5)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
5600X and 5800X on sale for $300 and $430 at Central Computer, sale ends today. How much of an idiot am I to be passing this up?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s MSRP and $20 off MSRP respectively. There aren’t any availability issues anymore it seems for the two parts so we can say the 5800x is a terrible deal and that isn’t a sale on an 5600X

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Microcenter has dropped the 5800X down to $370, at that point I'd say it's not a bad deal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If the 5600X is MSRP that’s not bad at all, yeah.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Welp, time to let greed bite me in the face as I wait for prices to go lower never.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

GPUs (well, GPU-derived compute accelerator modules) go multi-die with CDNA2 (MI200/Arcturus): https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-confirms-aldebaran-cdna2-gpu-for-instinct-mi200-has-primary-and-secondary-die

There's basically no information beyond what's in the headline (which comes from Linux kernel patches). But if you were wondering when GPU/accelerator architectures were going to stop being monolithic, here's one answer.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I updated the bios on my 5800x and msi X570 based board to try and fix the usb issues. The update went fine but now Ryzen master shows my temp as 0C and PPT as 0W.

CPUID HWMonitor shows a temp but when I ran Cinebench R23 my max temp was only 73 where previously it was like 87C. I have no idea what is going on, the score was about the same.

If anyone else has something like this - the solution was to reset the cmos. I did before flashing but I guess my particular board requires it after as well. The reason it was running cooler before is that the PPT was being limited to 105W for some reason. I didn't notice it when I posted initially.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

mdxi posted:

GPUs (well, GPU-derived compute accelerator modules) go multi-die with CDNA2 (MI200/Arcturus): https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-confirms-aldebaran-cdna2-gpu-for-instinct-mi200-has-primary-and-secondary-die

There's basically no information beyond what's in the headline (which comes from Linux kernel patches). But if you were wondering when GPU/accelerator architectures were going to stop being monolithic, here's one answer.

That's a datacenter compute card, I'm willing to bet a lot of money it can't even drive a display.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I wonder if the IO dies are getting a pretty massive die shrink exclusively for having the GPU onboard, it would certainly get the biggest benefit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if this 3D stacking technology has any implications on future GPU design

could we see an RX 7800 XT with a couple hundred MBs of soldered-on cache on top of the GPU die to act as a supercharged "infinity cache" to compete with G6X?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm hoping for just such a thing. It would certainly be a hell of a pickup, and beating the rest of the market to MCMs was pretty amazing, but beating them to stacked dies is no small feat, either.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah, i think the answer for "how many dies, 3d stacking, and mixed silicon processes will the future hold?" is just "Yes."

for as much as intel is in Trouble, i do think Ponte Vecchio is likely a glimpse into the medium-term for high performance computing.

47 tiles, multiple levels of cache/ram (some on their own die, some integrated), 3d stacking with TSVs and microbumps, Foveros, mixed processes and poo poo mixed fabs with intel+TSMC, just general insanity

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
How hard is it to get ahold of the 5900x at MSRP right now.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Spacedad posted:

About a $100 scalper premium if you Amazon or fleabay it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'll probably go with my original plan and do 5800x instead then.

My current system is a 3900x with a 3080 on the way. (Which I will put into service in a b550 with my old gtx 1080, probably.)

Losing cores for the tradeoff of clock speed makes sense since I'm going to be going more realtime work in Blender than rendering. (I can maybe turn the 3900x into a multitask renderbox at some point then.)

Also, it's cool to see that the 5800x has dropped so much in price. I originally got the 3900x at like a little less than 400. Now the 5800x is around the same price.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

i appreciate the effort but we've reached the point where AMD is competing with themselves so it's mostly a question of 5700G vs waiting for a hypothetical 5700GXT with a cache die with 96MB of L3 dropped onto it

If AMD cant get parts into peoples computers it doesn't matter. I haven't bought an AMD in nearly a year.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean, that's on you but the only thing you couldn't buy consistently for that year was AMD GPUs.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Spacedad posted:

I'll probably go with my original plan and do 5800x instead then.

My current system is a 3900x with a 3080 on the way. (Which I will put into service in a b550 with my old gtx 1080, probably.)

Losing cores for the tradeoff of clock speed makes sense since I'm going to be going more realtime work in Blender than rendering. (I can maybe turn the 3900x into a multitask renderbox at some point then.)

Also, it's cool to see that the 5800x has dropped so much in price. I originally got the 3900x at like a little less than 400. Now the 5800x is around the same price.

The 5800X is a hot one, do you have a strong cooling solution lined up? I still see some peak temps in the high 70s / low 80s under D15S.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Where are we at with availability on 5000-series mini PCs? I saw some announced from Asus and Gigabyte but no indication they exist on Amazon etc. My office Intel NUCs burned out right as they passed the 3-year warranty mark.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Spacedad posted:

Antonline has had the 5900 and 5950 in stock for a week now at ~$40 over msrp.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Antonline has had the 5900 and 5950 in stock for a week now at ~$40 over msrp.

never heard of this company but i'll be damned, 5950x for $840. looks like the 5900x is sold out already tho

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

e: oops, wrong thread thanks to the SA App

Number19 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 11, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

never heard of this company but i'll be damned, 5950x for $840. looks like the 5900x is sold out already tho

That's where I got my 5800x back when they were unobtanium. They've actually been around a super long time. And yeah the CPUs poo poo there for days because no bots have wised up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.nextplatform.com/2021/06/10/why-ibm-is-suing-globalfoundries-over-chip-roadmap-failures/

IBM suing GloFo for pulling out of everything below 14nm. I would expect that there would be some ramifications for AMD here too.