Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If the UK proved anything then it’s get any shot into as many high risk arms as possible, even if it’s only 60% effective, and then worry about what happens in three months time later. If both shots of the vaccine work *and* mixing shots does as well then that’s a fantastic goal just before half time for humanity.

What drives me nuts is people “Holding out” for the vaccine they like the look of, which is a massive first world privilege, and if enough people in an area does it then people needlessly die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Currently in the hospital for our new baby. That's all fine, but I got a covid related anecdote. Apparently this hospital used to have some chain food places you could order from on premises. However, they axed them all when an employee from one of them tested positive and kept coming in. Apparently she thought this was fine because she didn't feel too bad.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

wilderthanmild posted:

Currently in the hospital for our new baby. That's all fine, but I got a covid related anecdote. Apparently this hospital used to have some chain food places you could order from on premises. However, they axed them all when an employee from one of them tested positive and kept coming in. Apparently she thought this was fine because she didn't feel too bad.

This is why we can't have nice things. Or even not so nice things.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

Want to hear another horrible anecdote? I know of a hospital worker who had a couple bring their 5 year old who was sick. They were wandering the hospital as they waited etc. The kid tested positive and the parents refused to take a test saying they couldn't afford to miss work. They took their kid and left the hospital. The friend reported the parents for going against the recommendation to help their kid but other than that they just went on to live their lives. I think the parents said they had been feeling unwell too.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Purgatory Glory posted:

Want to hear another horrible anecdote? I know of a hospital worker who had a couple bring their 5 year old who was sick. They were wandering the hospital as they waited etc. The kid tested positive and the parents refused to take a test saying they couldn't afford to miss work. They took their kid and left the hospital. The friend reported the parents for going against the recommendation to help their kid but other than that they just went on to live their lives. I think the parents said they had been feeling unwell too.

This one is as much (or more) of an indictment against a work culture that doesn't allow employees to prioritize their own health as it is an indictment of these peoples' behavior.

I try to regularly remind myself to be grateful that I am in a position where, if I am unwell, I do not have to work.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Purgatory Glory posted:

I know a prison nurse whose husband tested positive (and was symptomatic). She kept living with him and refused to test herself or tell her employer he was positive. I'm not sure if she ever had symptoms or not. Tons of people out there did aggressively dangerous things in 2020.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it shocks me when I see surveys from the US saying that one of the most common reasons for not getting vaccinated is that people can't get the time off work/ can't afford to lose the hours if they get sick from the shot.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, it shocks me when I see surveys from the US saying that one of the most common reasons for not getting vaccinated is that people can't get the time off work/ can't afford to lose the hours if they get sick from the shot.

Likewise. Some employers here have been giving staff paid time off to go and get vaccinated.

Unfortunately, low paid staff in industries like aged care are often casual employees at several facilities and have no sick leave if they need to take time off in the days following vaccination.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pistol_Pete posted:

Talked to a family member this week who was charged ninety‐six dollars for getting flu shot at a drive‐in clinic because they didn’t “consult with their primary care provider” first.

Very normal country.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 5, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Talked to a family member this week who was charged ninety‐six dollars for getting flu shot at a drive‐in clinic because they didn’t “consult with their primary care provide” first.

Very normal country.

That doesn’t make any sense.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MarcusSA posted:

That doesn’t make any sense.

That’s what I said!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even better is if you say you don’t have insurance you’ll get charged about $30. And because I did mine in Publix, a $10 gift card given too. Being poor has its benefits I guess!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I expect that sort of bullshit from the US but today I found out in the UK apparently you have to pay for a COVID test???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Even better is if you say you don’t have insurance you’ll get charged about $30. And because I did mine in Publix, a $10 gift card given too. Being poor has its benefits I guess!

Yeah I told her that if her attempts to get the insurance company to pay were unfruitful, to call up the clinic and see if they can give her a better price, because, come on, no one is paying that much for a loving flu shot.

I’m sure the insurance company itself is on the hook for less than thirty, but denying claims is pure profit for them, so lol.

The Affordable Care Act says that they have to pay for flu shots, but they can limit the facilities you’re allowed to get them at.

Attachment is a different insurance co. demonstrating the nature of the business.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

freebooter posted:

I expect that sort of bullshit from the US but today I found out in the UK apparently you have to pay for a COVID test???

I just ordered a bunch for free, so dunno about that.

Might be the rules around international travel: they're some real bullshit tho.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just ordered a bunch for free, so dunno about that.

Might be the rules around international travel: they're some real bullshit tho.

Yeah, I just checked and most people can get a free test. They can even have one mailed to them. Paid tests seem to be more for when it's necessary that the test happens in a specific time frame.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Not sure who's told you that because they're literally giving boxes of lateral flow tests out on street corners, PCR tests are available at every doctors and council office, and if you've a variant of concern going around they're going door-to-door with the tests.

Like everything with UK healthcare you *can* pay for one if you want - lots of companies are selling testing mainly to large companies and institutions, and for a while last year that was the only way to get tested if you didn't have symptoms or documented exposure to an infected person, but that's not been the case for over a year now.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

freebooter posted:

The only situation you have to pay for a test is if it's for international travel.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Moderna knocked me out with both doses. Both shots on Wednesdays at around 3pm.

First one I started feeling wound down within a hour or so. By 7 I crawled into bed and slept until morning, feeling like I still didn't get enough sleep. Was able to get morning tasks (feed cats, get son ready for preschool) but was wiped out and my wife took our son to preschool that day. I took the day off and...was completely and utterly fine after an hour.

My second shot reaction was similar the first shots first day. Went to bed early but woke up feeling mostly ok. I didn't start winding down until after noon and laid down for a hour nap. Later I had mild cold chills and was able to hold out until going to bed at 8pm.

Woke up Friday morning totally fine.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
A friend I played with football on Tuesday has tested positive for Covid 19 and I just ordered a lateral flow test online for absolutely zero cost. There isn't any personal costs involved in testing in the UK at the moment.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Here in the US, the 7-day average number of cases is now, 64 weeks since we first started lockdowns, at the same level it was 2 weeks into lockdown. The next big psychologically-significant milestone number will be when the average has fallen below 10,000 cases. Sadly, the next psychologically-significant milestone number after that will be reaching 600,000 reported deaths. :(

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

Here in the US, the 7-day average number of cases is now, 64 weeks since we first started lockdowns, at the same level it was 2 weeks into lockdown. The next big psychologically-significant milestone number will be when the average has fallen below 10,000 cases. Sadly, the next psychologically-significant milestone number after that will be reaching 600,000 reported deaths. :(

Haven't we been over 600k reported deaths? Or is this from the CDC count that lags behind weeks to months?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

1.3% positivity rate in this state, hospitalizations lower than April of 2020

gently caress yeah.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I got my 2nd AstraZen shot today and am getting shitfaced drunk tonight, so I should sleep through any of the worst side effects.

Any symptoms tomorrow should just blend into my hangover.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People ain’t getting no side effects from the second AZ shots, must have been the 5G struggling to connect with the first one.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
That period of feverishness and useless arm after the second dose wasn't even that fun anyway definitely not something you need to experience sober

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I dunno, I held off on the drinking (for at least a day, might have been 2 or 3) because I figured getting poo poo faced might reduce my immune response. I haven't read anything about that or anything. It just made sense in my mind.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

wilderthanmild posted:

Haven't we been over 600k reported deaths? Or is this from the CDC count that lags behind weeks to months?

Count is from the NYTimes, which is collecting from state and local health agencies.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

They are currently showing total US deaths at 596,483. So 600k is 8-12 days away given the current pace.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pro starcraft loser posted:

1.3% positivity rate in this state, hospitalizations lower than April of 2020

gently caress yeah.

11 paragraphs telling you how this isn't actually the case incoming

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I dunno, I held off on the drinking (for at least a day, might have been 2 or 3) because I figured getting poo poo faced might reduce my immune response. I haven't read anything about that or anything. It just made sense in my mind.

Your instinct is probably correct:

New York Times posted:

Can alcohol interfere with your immune response?

The short answer is that it depends on how much you drink.

There is no evidence that having a drink or two can render any of the current Covid vaccines less effective. Some studies have even found that over the longer term, small or moderate amounts of alcohol might actually benefit the immune system by reducing inflammation.

Heavy alcohol consumption, on the other hand, particularly over the long term, can suppress the immune system and potentially interfere with your vaccine response, experts say. Since it can take weeks after a Covid shot for the body to generate protective levels of antibodies against the novel coronavirus, anything that interferes with the immune response would be cause for concern.

“If you are truly a moderate drinker, then there’s no risk of having a drink around the time of your vaccine,” said Ilhem Messaoudi, director of the Center for Virus Research at the University of California, Irvine, who has conducted research on the effects of alcohol on the immune response. “But be very cognizant of what moderate drinking really means. It’s dangerous to drink large amounts of alcohol because the effects on all biological systems, including the immune system, are pretty severe and they occur pretty quickly after you get out of that moderate zone.”

Clinical trials of the Covid vaccines that are currently approved for use by the Food and Drug Administration did not specifically look at whether alcohol had any impact on the effectiveness of the vaccines, Dr. Hewlett said. It’s possible that there will be more information on that in the future. But for now, most of what is known comes from previous research, including studies that examined how alcohol affects the immune system in humans and whether it hinders the immune response in animals that received other vaccines.

One thing that is clear from studies is that heavy alcohol consumption impairs the immune response and increases your susceptibility to bacterial and viral infections. It prevents immune cells from traveling to sites of infection and carrying out their duties, like destroying viruses, bacteria and infected cells; makes it easier for pathogens to invade your cells, and causes a host of other problems.

In contrast, moderate drinking does not seem to have this effect. In one study, scientists exposed 391 people to five different respiratory viruses and found that moderate drinkers were less likely to develop colds, but not if they were smokers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/27/well/eat/alcohol-covid-vaccine.html

https://text.fish/https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/27/well/eat/alcohol-covid-vaccine.html (un-paywalled)

Seems like the suggestion is very much have a beer not a pitcher for a little while after the shot.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Yeah I told her that if her attempts to get the insurance company to pay were unfruitful, to call up the clinic and see if they can give her a better price, because, come on, no one is paying that much for a loving flu shot.

I’m sure the insurance company itself is on the hook for less than thirty, but denying claims is pure profit for them, so lol.

The Affordable Care Act says that they have to pay for flu shots, but they can limit the facilities you’re allowed to get them at.

Attachment is a different insurance co. demonstrating the nature of the business.

Can't imagine anything more trust worthy than a lie detector. Oh what's that you say? AI lie detector based on visual data? Sold.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 5, 2021

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys! It is 3 weeks to the day (to the hour, in fact) since I got my first COVID shot (Pfizer/BioNtech) and I am about to go in for my second. I'm not really worried, but as someone with a strong tendency towards anxiety... Well, yeah, I'm kinda worried.

I'm sure it'll be fine though, and probably I'll barely notice it like the first time around.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

How many countries are doing the 2-3 months between doses versus 2-3 weeks? I got my first Pfizer in May in the UK and my second is at the start of August.

As I understand it that actually makes it work better? But it's a lot of waiting around which is horrible.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

kaworu posted:

Hey guys! It is 3 weeks to the day (to the hour, in fact) since I got my first COVID shot (Pfizer/BioNtech) and I am about to go in for my second. I'm not really worried, but as someone with a strong tendency towards anxiety... Well, yeah, I'm kinda worried.

I'm sure it'll be fine though, and probably I'll barely notice it like the first time around.

You'll be fine. Even the worst side effects tend to just make you feel lovely for a day or two. Most people have mild side effects, and many have nothing other than a sore arm.

If you suffer from anxiety (like my whole family does), the peace of mind from being fully vaccinated will help a ton.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Akuma posted:

How many countries are doing the 2-3 months between doses versus 2-3 weeks? I got my first Pfizer in May in the UK and my second is at the start of August.

As I understand it that actually makes it work better? But it's a lot of waiting around which is horrible.

canada and aus i think?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I’ve been using the free LFTs for weeks (UK). Usually if I’ve been out anywhere other than walking around the village which isn’t very often.

Had my 2nd AZ shot this morning at a walk in centre. No appointment needed and I was in, jabbed and back in the car in ten minutes. It honestly blows my mind that the same government who are making a complete pigs ear of international travel and can’t seem to make a decision to save their lives are also in charge of the vaccination programme which I think is bloody amazing.

Anyway, got home, mowed the lawn, tidied up some hedges then sat on the patio and drank a bottle of Tempranillo. Feel pretty okay so far!

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

kaworu posted:

If you ever drank in your life you've had worse hangovers.

I was worried a bit but had no real side effects besides a sore shoulder and being sleepy. You got this.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

monkeytennis posted:

It honestly blows my mind that the same government who are making a complete pigs ear of international travel and can’t seem to make a decision to save their lives are also in charge of the vaccination programme which I think is bloody amazing.
My understanding is that they kind of aren't in charge of the vaccination programme. Unless "taking a back seat to a nationwide organisation full of expertise and data because you know you'd just get peanut butter on the lens of the slide projector and accidentally invade wales or something if you DID try to take charge of this" counts as taking charge.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

canada and aus i think?

It's 12 weeks for AZ and 3 weeks for Pfizer in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

You'll be fine. Even the worst side effects tend to just make you feel lovely for a day or two. Most people have mild side effects, and many have nothing other than a sore arm.

If you suffer from anxiety (like my whole family does), the peace of mind from being fully vaccinated will help a ton.

pro starcraft loser posted:

If you ever drank in your life you've had worse hangovers.

I was worried a bit but had no real side effects besides a sore shoulder and being sleepy. You got this.

Yep you guys are totally right :) And I do suffer from anxiety, hence why I was overthinking this, but luckily it was all fine. The benefits most definitely outweigh any and all possible or potential risks.

My roommate even took a picture of me getting the vaccination for posterity!

One more fully vaccinated goon :patriot: