Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are there any definitive fan made Rey Fenix/Lucha Bros highlight compilations? These guys blow my mind every time I see them (especially Rey) and I'm looking for something to show off his/their talents to a couple of mates.

Edit: I know YT has a few vids, but was wondering if there are any super slick ones that people have made sitting on living on their HDDs waiting to be shared via Steamble/somewhere else

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cornwind Evil posted:

So rumors of WWE being sold drifted to me. Any veracity or just 'Well if you look at it THIS way and squint THIS way' hot air? Because it has been pretty well established that Vince will never sell. Is he about to suffer a repeat of history in how he swayed his father's main lieutenants to his side and they let him steal the company out from under his father? Because drat, karma's a BITCH if so.

They are cutting costs in a way that you might expect a company being sold to do, but nothing else that would indicate it is being sold. It's just greed and Nick Khan getting his scumbag buddies and former clients jobs.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Benne posted:

The more likely scenario is that Nick Khan saw a bloated mess of an organizational chart and is shifting things around to resemble a regular corporation

A lot of the office cuts were departments that were no longer needed after the Network got sold, for instance

The Network isn't sold though, it's just not available in the US and Canada

edit: and if I remember, Vince still owns like 50% of the total voting rights with his special class of stocks.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

smikey posted:

The Network isn't sold though, it's just not available in the US and Canada

edit: and if I remember, Vince still owns like 50% of the total voting rights with his special class of stocks.
Has there been a release of the Network subscribers since the Peacock deal? It seemed in the past that non-US numbers were negligable

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CVagts posted:

As far as I can tell, it's one of those situations where if a regular business was doing similar moves and transactions to what WWE has been doing, you would definitely believe them to be preparing for a sale. So I assume that's where the speculation is coming from.

There's also the fact that if you're already paying hundreds of millions of dollars for a license it makes sense to just buy the thing outright instead.

But who the hell knows for real? Vince's misfiring brain might decide tomorrow that they're scrapping the whole thing and going back to the old way of doing things, dammit.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I suspect WWE is probably looking at trying to off load the Network to other world wide media/cable companies like they did for the Network in Canada. I doubt they very much want to keep the backbone going for world wide subs especially when they see the money they can make just by selling it to other providers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smikey posted:

It’s more like 80%.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

davidbix posted:

One of the Villanos (IV, IIRC) is a dentist.

cavernario is a CPA

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
In late 1991, Sting had a leg injury going into a Clash of the Champions against Rick Rude, and had to beat a ref count to get to the ring, or he'd forfeit.

Rude ended up winning, but the whole thing made Rude look like the biggest villain ever, Heyman like a giant stooge, and gave Sting all the sympathy in the world. Could someone sum up the leadup to this event, and what ended up happening with Sting and Rude? I didn't watch much WCW at the time, but this event was great; my dad made a point to watch it together, because he remembered Larry Z from his stuff with Sammartino. I just liked Sting.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

cavernario is a CPA

That kinda rules

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Was there any reason why Toshiaki Kawada stayed in All Japan when nearly the entire roster followed Misawa to form NOAH?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lily Catts posted:

Was there any reason why Toshiaki Kawada stayed in All Japan when nearly the entire roster followed Misawa to form NOAH?

Loyalty is what I've heard

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Red posted:

In late 1991, Sting had a leg injury going into a Clash of the Champions against Rick Rude, and had to beat a ref count to get to the ring, or he'd forfeit.

Rude ended up winning, but the whole thing made Rude look like the biggest villain ever, Heyman like a giant stooge, and gave Sting all the sympathy in the world. Could someone sum up the leadup to this event, and what ended up happening with Sting and Rude? I didn't watch much WCW at the time, but this event was great; my dad made a point to watch it together, because he remembered Larry Z from his stuff with Sammartino. I just liked Sting.

Sting kept feuding with Rude and the Dangerous Alliance, eventually Sting beats Lex Luger for the world title, then his team beats the Dangerous Alliance at Wargames for the blowoff. Sting goes on to get his poo poo wrecked by Vader and lose the world title, Rude defends the US belt against various people until he fucks up his neck and has to forfeit it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Loyalty is what I've heard

I think Kawada/Misawa also had a personal feud going on when the NOAH split and both really didn't end up talking much beyond business at the time and afterwards. In fact it really didn't get patched up when Misawa died which is why Kawada took it hard

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

How many aew wrestlers have second jobs in the company? I hear that leva Bates organises travel and obviously QT is a trainer but who else?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Excalibur, Bryce, Brandi, Aubrey all wear multiple hats

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Manwithastick posted:

How many aew wrestlers have second jobs in the company? I hear that leva Bates organises travel and obviously QT is a trainer but who else?

I don't know all of them but I am pretty sure Brandon Cutler does some of their digital content work (and I believe his wife does a lot of the gear?), Chris Daniels works in talent relations, ref Aubrey does project management stuff

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Janela is unofficially their Scout the Indies for Talent guy. I suspect this is a big reason AEW grabbed so many Wrestlepro guys out of Jersey

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rebel does the women’s makeup, I think?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Diabolik900 posted:

Rebel does the women’s makeup, I think?
Yes. She was actually brought in as makeup artist months before she was turned into an on-air character.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lily Catts posted:

Kawada's answer has always been Misawa didn't personally ask him to jump to NOAH; he got Taue to do it. Misawa isn't a real man

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It was just him and Masanonu Fuchi left in AJPW when the exodus happened, IIRC.

Was there any reason why Fuchi was also left behind? Was he just a Nigel No Mates?

SexMetalBarbie
Jun 1, 2021

by Shine

davidbix posted:

Yes. She was actually brought in as makeup artist months before she was turned into an on-air character.

there was two makeup artist but one left, Kae(?) no clue why, she's all around Indies still, goes to GCW and that, friends with tons of wrestlers. and was on BTE.

no clue if she got replaced or not, only care because i found her mildly entertaining in the crowd and wanted more bte cameos.

e: looked it up, her name was Stella Kae.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

It was just him and Masanonu Fuchi left in AJPW when the exodus happened, IIRC.

Was there any reason why Fuchi was also left behind? Was he just a Nigel No Mates?

Fuchi was in his late 40s and an AJPW lifer. Plus, being the other Japanese wrestler staying behind got him back into the serious part of the card instead of curtain-jerking old-timer matches.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Berzerker posted:

I don't know all of them but I am pretty sure Brandon Cutler does some of their digital content work (and I believe his wife does a lot of the gear?), Chris Daniels works in talent relations, ref Aubrey does project management stuff

Doesn't Peter Avalon have a backstage gig, too?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

peter avalon's mouth is the backstage trash can

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

Janela is unofficially their Scout the Indies for Talent guy. I suspect this is a big reason AEW grabbed so many Wrestlepro guys out of Jersey

I doubt Janela has much influence in the company right now. I imagine most of those guys are either known to QT, MJF or the New York guys.

The Berzerker posted:

The head seamstress in AEW is Sandra Good who has been doing wrestler gear for decades, she worked for WCW and WWE previously.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MassRafTer posted:

The head seamstress in AEW is Sandra Good who has been doing wrestler gear for decades, she worked for WCW and WWE previously.

This isn't a question per se. But this woman, (and others), worked for WWE under Vince, and at WCW as well. We have often heard the stories of insanity/malpractice/incompetence/pettiness from wrestlers. But we don't often hear them from the other backstage workers, like the seamstresses, make up artists, hair dressers etc. that deal with the wrestlers and wrestling on a daily basis. I bet they would have some crazy stories.

Just as the doctors and medical staff would have stories of their own. Hell, I bet even the truck drivers, and people who set up the ring would have interesting stories of the insanity that goes on backstage.

Nor do we hear the stories about what I would imagine would be the true insanity, all the suit wearing boardroom stuff, where a respected accountant has to deal with a senile old man with a dinosaurs head in his office chasing an underling with poopy undies on a stick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This isn't a question per se. But this woman, (and others), worked for WWE under Vince, and at WCW as well. We have often heard the stories of insanity/malpractice/incompetence/pettiness from wrestlers. But we don't often hear them from the other backstage workers, like the seamstresses, make up artists, hair dressers etc. that deal with the wrestlers and wrestling on a daily basis. I bet they would have some crazy stories.

Just as the doctors and medical staff would have stories of their own. Hell, I bet even the truck drivers, and people who set up the ring would have interesting stories of the insanity that goes on backstage.

Nor do we hear the stories about what I would imagine would be the true insanity, all the suit wearing boardroom stuff, where a respected accountant has to deal with a senile old man with a dinosaurs head in his office chasing an underling with poopy undies on a stick.

She was just interviewed on AEW Unrestricted and didn't offer any. I've posted some WWE Glassdoor reviews in the past and you can get an idea of the other aspects of the company from those, however some of the more recent ones seem like troll reviews. I only know one person who works on the production end of WWE and they definitely deal with long hours and kind of an insane environment, but they've stuck it out there like 15 years which is impressive. The office end definitely sounds more on the dull side.

I think other than the wrestlers and a few execs who were wrestlers and did shoot interviews we've really only gotten good juicy backstage stories from writers and anonymous stuff from security guards.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Edit: wrong thread!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

disaster pastor posted:

Fuchi was in his late 40s and an AJPW lifer. Plus, being the other Japanese wrestler staying behind got him back into the serious part of the card instead of curtain-jerking old-timer matches.
And one of the weird things about AJPW in that era was how guys who still had something to offer were shunted into the old man comedy matches. Not only was Fuchi still quite good, but the younger Tsuyoshi Kikuchi was as well, despite having spent years in the comedy matches. (Seemingly for head injury-related reasons.) Nobody had any idea that he was still an awesome wrestler until he was a pushed junior heavyweight again in NOAH.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think Kawada/Misawa also had a personal feud going on when the NOAH split and both really didn't end up talking much beyond business at the time and afterwards. In fact it really didn't get patched up when Misawa died which is why Kawada took it hard

drat, that's tragic.

I've been following King of Gate and I'm bewildered by the fact that Dragon Gate has a lot of wrestlers in their early 20s, when fresh New Japan talent typically perform years of service as Young Lions (then they have to go on excursion for years). So is the Young Lion/young boy system just limited to New Japan? How do other Japanese promotions handle their trainees?

I mean, SB KENTo is feuding with Dragon Kid, a guy more than twice his age, and he is absolutely killing it. How does DG do it lol (sorry if these are a lot of questions)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

By all accounts Britt has a better record as a scout, I think Will Hobbs is one of hers.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

By all accounts Britt has a better record as a scout, I think Will Hobbs is one of hers.

Wardlow is the big one (pun not intended) that she recommended.

SexMetalBarbie
Jun 1, 2021

by Shine
didn't Mark Henry get Bianca and Strowman? if he carries that scouting over to AEW cool.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Lily Catts posted:

drat, that's tragic.

I've been following King of Gate and I'm bewildered by the fact that Dragon Gate has a lot of wrestlers in their early 20s, when fresh New Japan talent typically perform years of service as Young Lions (then they have to go on excursion for years). So is the Young Lion/young boy system just limited to New Japan? How do other Japanese promotions handle their trainees?

I mean, SB KENTo is feuding with Dragon Kid, a guy more than twice his age, and he is absolutely killing it. How does DG do it lol (sorry if these are a lot of questions)

It's fairly traditional in japanese wrestling, somewhat dependent on promotion. DG is in an interesting spot because they were approaching NOAH levels of eating their young in the mid to late '10s, with the legends and Big 6 being established stars and anyone young getting an incredibly slow stop-start push and often having trouble getting over with the crowds as a result, which looped back into them not pulling the trigger on these floundering prospects because of the tepid crowd response. A feedback loop.

Then the 2018 split where president Okamura and CIMA's faction left the company happened.

Now, DG was left in a position

- with a bunch of star power and future prospects gone between the split, Tozawa, Shingo about to jump...
- with the established stars getting old and possibly beaten by injuries, even the Big 6 generation
- with new management.

So they course corrected super hard because the only option left was rocket packing a bunch of rookies, and here we are.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 6, 2021

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

SexMetalBarbie posted:

didn't Mark Henry get Bianca and Strowman? if he carries that scouting over to AEW cool.

Even Mark Henry's scouting falls victim to 50/50 booking

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SexMetalBarbie posted:

Jade Cargill is one of Henry's too

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

davidbix posted:

And one of the weird things about AJPW in that era was how guys who still had something to offer were shunted into the old man comedy matches. Not only was Fuchi still quite good, but the younger Tsuyoshi Kikuchi was as well, despite having spent years in the comedy matches. (Seemingly for head injury-related reasons.) Nobody had any idea that he was still an awesome wrestler until he was a pushed junior heavyweight again in NOAH.

Yeah, and Fuchi went on to have the five-star tag match with Kawada later that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tonfa posted:

So they course corrected super hard because the only option left was rocket packing a bunch of rookies, and here we are.

It's also that Dragon Gate (and Toryumon prior to that) was never really beholden to puro traditions because it mainly took inspiration from lucha. The way they set it up, having the young boy dynamic isn't really necessary because they can just as easily add a rookie fresh out of the Dragon System to a unit and make a story out of it. That was pretty much the entire purpose of CIMA's Over Generation unit - basically We Are Team Veteran teaching rookies. To an extent it was also the Millennials unit being relative nobodies until they went on excursion to Mexico, then returned as punkass kids wanting to beat up the old guard.