Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Whenever Roboco follows the friendship between the 3 kids it's always amazing.
Gachi Gorilla and Motsuo and the best bois.

Undead Unluck was also really loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

world trigger continues to be amazing for being in arc setup where nothing happens. revealing all the restrictions of this closed environment test wrt power, food, water, sleeping arrangements etc means we're going to get some very interesting and differently strained team experiences.

can't believe they have these kids working 9-7 though, positively criminal

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
World Trigger has some amazing sports manga energy for a series that is suppose to be about war.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Kaiju #8: Chapter 36
Viz
Mangaplus
I could feel Kafka's spine grinding itself into powder for that one attack. This does confirm that the worm hasn't completely faded away from consciousness since even when kafka was first transforming he said he couldn't control his body that well. I wonder if this means the entity manufacturing kaiju has a rogue element or if this worm represents a completely different faction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how Magu-chan seems to have just enjoyed the "being around a bunch of people who like you" aspect of being an old god worshiped by a cult, and as a result is fully content to just have an expanding circle of family/friends/acquaintances.

Brought To You By posted:

Kaiju #8: Chapter 36
Viz
Mangaplus
I could feel Kafka's spine grinding itself into powder for that one attack. This does confirm that the worm hasn't completely faded away from consciousness since even when kafka was first transforming he said he couldn't control his body that well. I wonder if this means the entity manufacturing kaiju has a rogue element or if this worm represents a completely different faction.

I'm guessing he's got to win out out the Kaiju instincts, since that's the only way he gets out of this without other people deciding he needs to be put down. Though after that one of the big elements of the series - him having to hide he's a Kaiju - will basically be gone and he'll just be "a really strong guy fighting on the side of the defense force."

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I've been reading Kuroko's Basketball the past couple weeks and it gets pretty wild sometimes.

It's just like, literal 16 year olds are talking dead seriously about gouging out their own eyes if they don't win, or how maiming their opponents is fun.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alacron posted:

I've been reading Kuroko's Basketball the past couple weeks and it gets pretty wild sometimes.

It's just like, literal 16 year olds are talking dead seriously about gouging out their own eyes if they don't win, or how maiming their opponents is fun.

There's nothing more serious than high school extra-curricular activities.

That aspect of manga is actually sometimes fairly realistic to the experience of middle/high school competitive activities, though. Like you actually end up with a cast of "characters," rivals, and a clear sense of progression and where you stand relative to your peers throughout your city/region, etc. In my case it was music (cello), but I'm sure the same is also true for stuff like sports.

I think it's partly tied to being able to just "freely" pursue a challenging skill/hobby without the material demands of adult life.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Meanwhile Twin Star exorcists decided now was a good time to spend half a chapter on a flashback just as one of the bad guys thins out the enemy ranks because the good guys weren't up to the task.
I do like Gabura though, so I'm fine with the latter.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Alacron posted:

Honestly that's a big part of what makes it so fun. That and the whole sports manga thing of treating every match as if it's a shonen fight, where Kuroko's Basketball hits an interesting middle ground where the presentation and the way it's talked about is really WILD but what they're doing is mostly just normal basketball really.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Meanwhile Twin Star exorcists decided now was a good time to spend half a chapter on a flashback just as one of the bad guys thins out the enemy ranks because the good guys weren't up to the task.
I do like Gabura though, so I'm fine with the latter.

Is there anyone keeping track of who's currently alive and who's fighting whom in Twin Star Exorcists? The wiki doesn't seem to be very up-to-date.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Is there anyone keeping track of who's currently alive and who's fighting whom in Twin Star Exorcists? The wiki doesn't seem to be very up-to-date.

Turtle guy and Kankuro are fighting whip sword assassin and weapon inside himself dude who killed Tatara. But Tatara didn’t die when he was killed and showed up later to “help” out.
Scientist people appear to be done fighting thanks to Gabura.
Zeze was fighting the big boobed basara but she just died thanks to Gabura.
Zeze, stone girl and rabbit girl will now get their asses kicked by Gabura.
Rokuro is letting Kamui punch him for shits and giggles or something.
Benio was fighting 2 others but I think they stopped doing that to bow down to her.
Tenma is currently fighting no one because he finished his fight in a single chapter. Show off.

I want to say Mayura was also fighting someone, but I can’t remember. I don’t know where bird boy is at.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Turtle guy and Kankuro are fighting whip sword assassin and weapon inside himself dude who killed Tatara. But Tatara didn’t die when he was killed and showed up later to “help” out.
Scientist people appear to be done fighting thanks to Gabura.
Zeze was fighting the big boobed basara but she just died thanks to Gabura.
Zeze, stone girl and rabbit girl will now get their asses kicked by Gabura.
Rokuro is letting Kamui punch him for shits and giggles or something.
Benio was fighting 2 others but I think they stopped doing that to bow down to her.
Tenma is currently fighting no one because he finished his fight in a single chapter. Show off.

I want to say Mayura was also fighting someone, but I can’t remember. I don’t know where bird boy is at.

I feel even more confused after reading this post.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The thing that’s confusing me is the geography. It seemed to me like boob basara wasn’t anywhere near the doll basara but apparently they were right next to each other this whole time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

The thing that’s confusing me is the geography. It seemed to me like boob basara wasn’t anywhere near the doll basara but apparently they were right next to each other this whole time.

I thought they were just beaten at the same time, so it was showing that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought they were just beaten at the same time, so it was showing that.

That apparently as well. But Doll Basara was immediately aware that Gabura killed boob Basara and her giant doll robot immediately attacked Gabura. So apparently they were right next to each other. Or she teleported the bot to Gabura or something but then how did she know. :shrug:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Sakamoto Days handled its tone shifts in a really funny way this chapter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
9 Dragons is sooooooo cancelled. Also yeah Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin is pretty much done too.

Wonder what they have coming up to replace them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Witch Watch continues to be kind of sweet. I'm still a fan of tiny Nico being adorable.

Also kind of funny with the deliberate art style mismatch in Sakamoto Days between the ultraviolence and the goofy characters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fabricated posted:

9 Dragons is sooooooo cancelled.

I haven't payed any attention to it, what's wrong with it/why does it seem like it's being canceled?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

I haven't payed any attention to it, what's wrong with it/why does it seem like it's being canceled?

It's pace just jumped from "Slow burn let's put a team together one man at a time" to "Fill out the rest of the team with generic nobodies, time skip several months of training, and win a game all in one chapter"

It reeks of desperation.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Julias posted:

Basically the entire opening premise of the series was building a team that could challenge the best team in the nation. We basically got the starting two with the most development, then one miniarc for a ringer, then another miniarc for another ringer, then we got two-for-one in essentially one chapter, and now we just timeskipped over the entire summer which would presumably be used for practice games and building a team.

Basically- if you've ever read Eyeshield 21 we skipped over the entire part of the series where they recruit most of their team and do their training camps to go straight to the main tournament. Oh, and we also skipped the first game of the tournament. We had three nameless guys just join in the space of one page to fill the team out.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oof, yeah it definitely sounds like it was getting low rankings and is speeding up to the main action in order to try to get more people invested into it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Julias posted:

Oof, yeah it definitely sounds like it was getting low rankings and is speeding up to the main action in order to try to get more people invested into it.
In a world where the series took off in a big way, all the kids are HS first years so you could do all 3 years like Diamond No Ace is doing- but given that 9 Dragons has been at the back of the tables of contents regularly I'd say it's done.

Also in terms of stuff that's good- Mashle is doing its version of the Chuunin Exams and we've basically got our full-on Orochimaru moment coming complete with what looks like a evil revival spell.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 6, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I tried to muster the interest to read 9 Dragons before they started removing previous chapters, but it looked too boring :( Maybe I was unfair, but then again, baseball's just not for me, in spite of Patrick Willems's opinion that it's the best sport (for movies).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I don't care particularly one way or the other for baseball, but I've been enjoying the fun characters in 9 Dragons, sad if it's on its way out.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think 9 Dragons just doesn’t have any character you really latch onto. The pitcher doesn’t get all that much spotlight, the main nerdy guy doesn’t do anything besides “be smart” and the super smug guy is annoying. I’ve been keeping up with it, but there’s nothing and nobody to keep me hooked. I haven’t read Haikyu, but with the anime it sets up a great protagonist from the get go that you can cheer for and I just don’t see anybody that’s worth it.

Good concept, completely flubbed the execution.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I tried to muster the interest to read 9 Dragons before they started removing previous chapters, but it looked too boring :( Maybe I was unfair, but then again, baseball's just not for me, in spite of Patrick Willems's opinion that it's the best sport (for movies).
If you want a manga to try to see if you can like a high school baseball series, try Diamond No Ace.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I don't care particularly one way or the other for baseball, but I've been enjoying the fun characters in 9 Dragons, sad if it's on its way out.

100% Same.

The Black Stones posted:

I think 9 Dragons just doesn’t have any character you really latch onto. The pitcher doesn’t get all that much spotlight, the main nerdy guy doesn’t do anything besides “be smart” and the super smug guy is annoying. I’ve been keeping up with it, but there’s nothing and nobody to keep me hooked. I haven’t read Haikyu, but with the anime it sets up a great protagonist from the get go that you can cheer for and I just don’t see anybody that’s worth it.

I think the lack of characters to latch on is also the fault of the execution. I actually really liked Azu based on the first 2 chapters with Ryudo being a good foil for him. Tsurugi fit in nicely, but it feels a little like the Mangaka doesn’t really know what to do with the others and now that things are getting crowded even the good guys are losing the spotlight.

I hope it’s not canceled and instead just decided to add nobodies to keep the focus on the “main” 5.

Also holy crap at that spread with the eagle. It was gorgeous.

Mash meanwhile is seriously strong and man the mangaka can draw when he wants to.

And lol at the Chuunin exam vibes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Mash meanwhile is seriously strong and man the mangaka can draw when he wants to.

And lol at the Chuunin exam vibes.
Good, I'm not the only one that felt like Infinite Zero her is pulling an Orochimaru + Edo Tensei. Also this reveal is loving great

That's some primo spooky stuff.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Roboco and Witch Watch were great.

Roboco’s knife gag is away just long enough so it doesn’t get old.

I didn’t expect it, but Sakamoto has me on edge. This poo poo is going down.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Fabricated posted:

If you want a manga to try to see if you can like a high school baseball series, try Diamond No Ace.

I really need to check this out. Now that Haikyuu is done I'm really jonesing for some more team sports stuff.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Brought To You By posted:

Good, I'm not the only one that felt like Infinite Zero her is pulling an Orochimaru + Edo Tensei. Also this reveal is loving great

That's some primo spooky stuff.

This was great but my favorite panel this week was mash running on the spikes.

Also really dug Sakamoto this week. The action panels are done so well, this artist can easily depict speed in such a great way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

They also were going way too slowly before things kicked into overdrive. The first volume ended with the team having three members out of nine, with no real stakes in play short term.

Compare to Haikyuu, and you see that ended volume 1 with the practice game where the protagonists finally learn to start working together as a team. Eyeshield 21, and it concludes volume 1 with the team's first real game. And Ashita No Joe ended volume 1 with Joe in the slammer using boxing to settle his grudges.

If your hook at the end of volume 1 is "we'll eventually have something exciting happen!", you're not going to get many readers putting you at the top in the survey results.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Zerilan posted:

I really need to check this out. Now that Haikyuu is done I'm really jonesing for some more team sports stuff.
It's really good. It focuses mostly on the Pitcher/Catcher battery aspect. It does a really good job of having actual character development, drama, and covering multiple technical aspects of baseball really well. The idea is that you're starting with a school that had tournament winning teams and has slipped a bit to be more of a B+ team instead of an A+ team, and it really focuses on the difference between being a top-tier team and being basically the equivalent of whatever team in any sport that people hate for winning every single year. The team the main character is on is most definitely not some scrappy underdog- they're a well-storied team that's in a bit of a slump due to a lack of real superstar talent outside of a couple players.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I dunno if they actually editorialized 9 dragons or the author panicked but you need a lot of players to actually play baseball and have stakes. it's not like volleyball where you can do 2v2 or basketball . they really needed to get the full team assembled so they can start playing games.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It might be fun to do a post mortem on Nine Dragons once it finishes. In retrospect it started with a strong first chapter, had some interesting setup in 2 & 3, but then its first arc kinda fizzled and its second was a wet fart of nothing and most chapters since have been blatant scrambling to salvage a readership.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I gotta say, I've been pretty lukewarm on Blue Box so far, but I enjoyed this chapter. It's pretty predictable, but I thought it built up to a nice ending. Still not entirely sold on it, but I'll keep reading for at least a few more weeks.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for "work really hard and eventually it'll pay off" stories, which I know are a dime a dozen in shonen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the main thing blue box has going for it is the art style imo. it's perfectly fine outside of that but I'd prob have dropped it if it wasn't nice to look at

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Blue Box is boring as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It was probably fair to cancel Phantom Seer, but I can't say Blue Box feels like a worthwhile replacement at all.