Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
So since Alecto isn't getting released until next year, when do you reckon they'll release the cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Happy Landfill posted:

So since Alecto isn't getting released until next year, when do you reckon they'll release the cover?

I'd guess late summer or early fall. I'd also expect a surprise short story around the same time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Thanks I hate it

https://twitter.com/cluniies/status/1386507804823916556?s=21

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

It's hilarious and Cluniies is an amazing artist. The best part is the little details in her work. The labels, the background items, etc.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Just finished the first book, it took a bit to get cooking but I really enjoyed it once it did. I have a question about something I missed (the last act was relentless), What happened to Coronabeth? Did Ianthe kill her?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tokelau All Star posted:

Just finished the first book, it took a bit to get cooking but I really enjoyed it once it did. I have a question about something I missed (the last act was relentless), What happened to Coronabeth? Did Ianthe kill her?

Nope. something like "they left the crown princess to her inexplicable grief", she was unaccounted for in the emperor's list right at the end

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you don't see someone die on-screen don't count them out, and even then, I mean, these are books about necromancy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They see dead people! Some of them don't even know they're dead!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Entropic posted:

If you don't see someone die on-screen don't count them out, and even then, I mean, these are books about necromancy.
The best cavalier in Harrow died in Gideon, for John's sake.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

90s Cringe Rock posted:

RIP Ortus, we hardly knew ye

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Yeah though the second best was probably P.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trying to hold off on a full re-read until Alecto is closer to release, but I dunno if I can wait, these books are just too drat much fun.

I should've read Gideon again before starting Harrow, I'd lost a lot of the plot and kept having to look up what everyone was talking about. Still loved it!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

mdemone posted:

Trying to hold off on a full re-read until Alecto is closer to release, but I dunno if I can wait, these books are just too drat much fun.

I should've read Gideon again before starting Harrow, I'd lost a lot of the plot and kept having to look up what everyone was talking about. Still loved it!

I'm not going to so much as look at my two books until after Jan 1, 2022. Because I know I'll re-read them, note the date and then shriek in frustration that "John loving Dammit, still not next year yet!"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I yearn for any new info on Alecto the way Harrow yearns for The Body

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I too long for the D. The D stands for Da Book.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/catpotion/status/1393614804909129731?s=21

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

those are astonishingly good

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

silvergoose posted:

those are astonishingly good

Very much agreed. Also, dammit. Now I want a second trilogy about cat necromancers in space.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Everyone posted:

Very much agreed. Also, dammit. Now I want a second trilogy about cat necromancers in space.

Have you read Diane Duane's So You Want To Be a Wizard books? Or, more relevantly, her spinoff about cat wizards?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

silvergoose posted:

Have you read Diane Duane's So You Want To Be a Wizard books? Or, more relevantly, her spinoff about cat wizards?

No, but I'll be checking those out pretty soon now that I now they exist. Thanks.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ahh yes, nekomancers

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm about 40% into the second book and I got a good laugh out of description of the
I have no idea wtf is happening, I thought the first book was weird but people weren't kidding with how abstract the second one is.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 25, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yep, on both counts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm about 40% into the second book and I got a good laugh out of description of the
I have no idea wtf is happening, I thought the first book was weird but people weren't kidding with how abstract the second one is.

I think I missed that reference, what does it mean?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

sebmojo posted:

I think I missed that reference, what does it mean?
https://twitter.com/v21/status/1290996934984052742

It means the author must be stopped.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I missed the s reference too hlep me plz, it is familiar but I can't recall what that symbol means

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
it's a cool s

it's the cool s

you draw it on things and it makes them cooler and makes you cooler

harrow finds a spooky note from a ghost and Ortus the Best Cavalier describes its contents for her as they actually are, not the spooky ghost hallucination note

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

90s Cringe Rock posted:

it's a cool s

it's the cool s

you draw it on things and it makes them cooler and makes you cooler

harrow finds a spooky note from a ghost and Ortus the Best Cavalier describes its contents for her as they actually are, not the spooky ghost hallucination note

ahhh hhhhhh hhhh

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Ianthe :catstare:

https://chillyweirdoinacoffin.tumblr.com/post/652939576159158272

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Cosplay has always struck as a bit silly in a "You're supposed to be a grown up and it's not even Halloween" kind of way. But drat. That looks gooooood. Like, "Can she act and if so can we put her in the movie as that character" good.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Everyone posted:

Cosplay has always struck as a bit silly in a "You're supposed to be a grown up and it's not even Halloween" kind of way. But drat. That looks gooooood. Like, "Can she act and if so can we put her in the movie as that character" good.

"Cosplay is incredibly silly" agrees me, the cosplayer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I read the two in three days. They were very good. I should sleep.

I liked that Gideon somehow got the sunglasses from Problem Sleuth and Homestuck.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked that Gideon somehow got the sunglasses from Problem Sleuth and Homestuck.

Just in case you weren't aware, the author got her start writing Homestuck fanfic :p

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Reading up on the thread, I don't think Harrow and Gideon are terrible for each other. The only time they get close to starting to heal from their incredibly lovely childhood and lives is when they finally start being honest with each other.,

silvergoose posted:

Just in case you weren't aware, the author got her start writing Homestuck fanfic :p

Oh I read her fanfics before. I'd be ashamed to admit it but I'm already a goon.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/catpotion/status/1401762421308461059?s=21

[House] dressed as [other house] combos should keep the fan artists busy for a while…

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dave Strider is Gideon Nav.

Just a little tidbit for you.

I believe the first time I saw it posted was "WHAT DO YOU MEAN DAVE STRIDER IS THE BLUEPRINT FOR GOD'S PERFECT LESBIAN?!"

And yeah the house swap thing is one of many of the metas going around right now - the other is Gideon Chicken Legs because that ridiculous article Tor put out in 2019 is going around again and it was written by a gym rat to troll other gym rats.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I mean the AU chapters in Harrow were amazing and very much fan-fodder, it's amazing.

Now, Dave and Gideon are different enough that they're different characters, but they would instantly vibe and be bros.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've been listening to Gideon on audible for my commute these past few days. Today I got to chapter 20, the tunnel siphoning scene. I remembered it was written well, but that quality plus the narration had me feeling like I should pause the thing and pull off because of how physically uncomfortable I was starting to feel at the descriptions of the pain. Hands tensing the on wheel feeling intense anxiety for our lass's predicament, even knowing exactly what happens already. A+ very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dulcinea's consoling was pretty amazing there.