Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Under 30 gigs shouldn’t be causing the machine to crash. 10 maybe but even then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

god I hope that cringey motherfucker prosser is right about colors on the Mac mini. Gimme a new G3 PowerMac Apple

You need to wait for the M5, so that you buy an orange Mini and call it the CreaM5icle

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why would the machine EVER crash from full disk?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I bet it's the dGPU.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

That’s what I was thinking :shrug: my MBP has like 10-20 gigs free and I’ve never had an issue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LionArcher posted:

Sure. They’re totally doing a press event for just that.
For the new iPod touch!

Binary Badger posted:

Had a friend who wanted to back up her 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro but she had somehow managed to fill up her 750 GB drive to the point where there was less than 30 GB free and it was continually crashing all the time due to the low disk space. She wanted it backed up before I could pop in a 1 TB drive.

She bought an external USB 3.0 one TB drive but we found out it would only connect at USB 2 speeds because that's what the 2011 had- USB 2.

She didn't want to wait several days for the backup to complete and I noted that the 2011 did have a Thunderbolt 1 port, so I looked around in my box of obso hardware and I found an old Kanex Thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter that I remember cursing Kanex for because it was like $129 when it first came out and it didn't work for me, I wound up using a Seagate Thunderbolt to SATA adapter that was originally only supposed to fit their own SATA drives, but it turned out you could use any SATA drive.

Figured I'd try it and the drive immediately mounted and dismounted, like drives did when I first got the Kanex a few years ago.

I went to their website and DL'ed the manual and I swear they added to the latest manual the one thing that probably would have made it work for me back in the day- they were now recommending you hook it up to a USB 3.0 hub, THEN hooking your device to that hub.

Hooked up an old Plugable USB 3 hub I had lying around and the drive stayed connected this time, and it only took most of one night to back it up.
I used that thing for years on my old 2011 Mac mini for the USB 3.0 port. I think I did use it with a hub, although later years without a hub and that was fine too :shrug:

LRADIKAL posted:

poo poo can start to get weird when there's not enough space to write swap, temp/caches, or save settings or whatever. But that's with a really full disk. At lower capacities otherwise you're still getting degraded performance though. In the situation above it sounds like it's the original 750GB platter drive which is gonna be lovely to begin with, and shittier over time especially when it's that full.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

japtor posted:

For the new iPod touch!

Hey it’s the 20th anniversary we’d better get some iPod this this year even if it’s just an emoji.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Sure. They’re totally doing a press event for just that.

Given the support they put in for routing external audio via eARC through an Apple TV and from there to a set of HomePods, even though HomePods are already discontinued, I'm thinking it's likely they're going to release either an eARC soundbar combining Apple TV and HomePod tech, a new lower-priced HomePod setup specifically targeted to replace soundbars for people who already have an Apple TV, or both.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Roadie posted:

a new lower-priced HomePod setup specifically targeted to replace soundbars for people who already have an Apple TV

Let me tell you about using 2 HomePod Minis.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Everybody. It’s WWDC. If you’re going to release a hardware product, it’s going to be pro hardware that is connected to the event. Hence, the MacBook Pro. Either way though, will know in less than 12 hours! I’m legit excited about this one.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I could see individual programs maybe crashing, but the system itself should have it's swap files pre-allocated before it attempts to write to them. The system would also be non-stop bitching if your storage dropped to around 3GB. Look at this thread of these idiots asking how to disable the warning since they refuse to free up a few gigs. They don't seem to be having performance or stability issues. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7729512

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Apple dynamically allocates swap space on demand, so if you have a sudden need for lots of new swap space and no free space on disk, the kernel might have to do unpleasant things to make forward progress. Think killing processes, or rebooting.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
^ This becomes especially evident when kicking off an Xcode build for example.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

truly im gettin one of them macbook pros

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mia Wasikowska posted:

truly im gettin one of them macbook pros
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1401874977004015621

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Inshallah

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Let's say there's no new MacBook Pro announced today (or this month or whatever).

Is it worth buying one of the current 13" ones, or are we far enough along now that waiting is a better idea? My current laptop isn't long for this world :rip:

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Harrow posted:

Let's say there's no new MacBook Pro announced today (or this month or whatever).

Is it worth buying one of the current 13" ones, or are we far enough along now that waiting is a better idea? My current laptop isn't long for this world :rip:

I would expect the new models within 2-4 months.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well poo poo that's close enough that buying one now would be stupid as hell. Gonna try to keep this busted-rear end Dell limping along I guess

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LRADIKAL posted:

OH haha, you should try it. Fill your disk entirely up! Reboot the computer and let the games begin.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Someone wanna make a WWDC thread, or just settle for bitching about it in YOSPOS?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

So there's two models of 13" Macbook Pros, the lower tier 2-port one got the M1 chip last year, replacing the 8th gen Intel processor.

The 4-port, 10th gen Intel Macbook Pro is still being sold and is the one likely to get refreshed. This is rumored to be redesigned to 14" and has a beefier GPU. It will also cost more than the current M1 13" ($1299 vs $1799).

If you want a basic MBP you can buy the current 13", it's plenty fast. If you need something more powerful and are ok with the higher price then wait for the refresh.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pissed about this to no end.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

Pissed about this to no end.
Don't 👏 Expect 👏 Hardware 👏 At 👏 WWDC 👏 It's 👏 A 👏 Developer 👏 Conference

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Blame the source

https://twitter.com/StephenWarwick9/status/1400921821835300867

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

American McGay posted:

every year :newlol:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

American McGay posted:

Except all the years there’s been hardware.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LionArcher posted:

Except all the years there’s been hardware.
I'm sure this makes Skeezy feel much better.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

I'm sure this makes Skeezy feel much better.

I’m feeling a bit better now. Needed to cool off.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Again, if there is no new hardware today, an Announcement is two months out tops.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
All the WWDC hardware announcements

2003: Power Mac G5
2004: Aluminum Cinema display
2006: Mac Pro
2008: iPhone 3G
2009: iPhone 3GS
2010: iPhone 4
2012: Retina Macbook Pro
2013: Mac Pro
2017: iMac Pro and HomePod
2019: Mac Pro

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Perplx posted:

All the WWDC hardware announcements

2003: Power Mac G5
2004: Aluminum Cinema display
2006: Mac Pro
2008: iPhone 3G
2009: iPhone 3GS
2010: iPhone 4
2012: Retina Macbook Pro
2013: Mac Pro
2017: iMac Pro and HomePod
2019: Mac Pro

2020: Apple Silicon announced and A12Z test mule Mac Mini demo’d and put up for “sale”/rental

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

2020: Apple Silicon announced and A12Z test mule Mac Mini demo’d and put up for “sale”/rental

Yeah exactly. I Expect them to announce something but not to ship till next month.

This lines up with the Q3 rumors too. Announce today, pre orders in two weeks, ships in July. This also explains why the store hasn’t gone down.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 7, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

I’m feeling a bit better now. Needed to cool off.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Daddy needs a replacement for his 13” 2017 MBP that mommy cracked the screen on!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

LionArcher posted:

Yeah exactly. I Expect them to announce something but not to ship till next month.

This lines up with the Q3 rumors too. Announce today, pre orders in two weeks, ships in July. This also explains why the store hasn’t gone down.

I'm good with that so long as I know we get SOMETHING eventually

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

I'm good with that so long as I know we get SOMETHING eventually

There will eventually be new Macs.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Memoji audience is making me upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU