Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

packetmantis posted:

Wild digressions are my favorite part of Stephenson books. :allears:

Oh yes, it is definitely what he does best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

DreamingofRoses posted:

I’m about 1/3rd of the way through The Curse of Chalion and, while I am truly enjoying the world and the intrigue, the 35 year old protagonist pining after a 19 year old girl is getting tiresome and a little weird. Does it get better?

I actually posted about this when I was reading it a month or two ago, it doesn't really go anywhere and doesn't get really creepy, and I was pleasantly surprised.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor #3) by Mark Lawrence - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZN2S29/

Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats #1) by Sebastien de Castell - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TV2K5NC/

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Stuporstar posted:

It’s like Piranesi but poo poo

With the same metaphors repeated ad nauseum as subtly as a jackhammer. I got so sick of loving swords and bees and keys

I dunno, I put it down halfway through when it became apparent the protagonist wasn’t going to be defined by much more than what Harry Potter house he liked, like some generic self-insert for the average bookish nerd

Glad someone said it. Tone was insufferable, and it felt like the very definition of style over substance. You’re meant to want to unravel the mystery, but there were no compelling people so it felt like an empty, self-indulgent exercise.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Drakyn posted:

Awww yeah share that sweet Stephenson dirt.
Still maintain and believe that the first 30 - 50 pages of Snow Crash were ghost-written by someone else, maybe his uncle that cowrote with him a few times.

The person who I think is the future SFF author David Mitchell posted in the SFL Archives using the handle "David Mitchell" <david@edenroad.demon.co.uk> Feel free to dig into SFL Archives Vol 21b and share them yourself.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Between Two Fires was excellent, it's probably the best pickup I've had from this thread since The Traitor Baru Cormorant.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Between Two Fires was excellent, it's probably the best pickup I've had from this thread since The Traitor Baru Cormorant.

You might enjoy his other books too! The Blacktongue Thief, The Necromancer’s House, and The Lesser Dead were all excellent. None went quite as hard as Between Two Fires but still some of the best books I’ve read in a long time.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
A while back people talked about a book publisher in here that made fancy versions of books a la Folio Society. Pretty sure people were saying they were even more upscale though and I think they had a weird business model, either a subscription or you had to buy the rights to purchase a book before it was printed. Anyone know what I'm referring to?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Between Two Fires: Pretty sure the guy she saves from the stockades is the apocryphal Wandering Jew, hence why they recognize each other

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Megasabin posted:

A while back people talked about a book publisher in here that made fancy versions of books a la Folio Society. Pretty sure people were saying they were even more upscale though and I think they had a weird business model, either a subscription or you had to buy the rights to purchase a book before it was printed. Anyone know what I'm referring to?

Subterranean Press? You generally need to pre-order one of their releases if you want to have a chance at getting one. It's definitely not more upscale than Folio Society, though.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Audible rules when you're doing boring stuff at the gym like rowing. An hour will just fly by whilst you are listening to some epic sci fi battle instead of thinking about why your butt is going numb and oh god when will this end.

Also when doing chores.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Megasabin posted:

Suntup.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Anyone read the new Adrian Tchaikovsky? Sounds like a straight up slice of space opera, which I could really go for right now.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Junkenstein posted:

Anyone read the new Adrian Tchaikovsky? Sounds like a straight up slice of space opera, which I could really go for right now.

any word on which invertebrate species makes its sexy debut?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

buffalo all day posted:

The blurb makes it sound like this one might be a bit more straightforward, but it's not like I went into Children of Time expecting to fall in love with a bunch of spiders who make computers out of ants so......

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

buffalo all day posted:

Space crabs that decorate themselves with bling/electronic advertising billboards.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

team overhead smash posted:

Space crabs that decorate themselves with bling/electronic advertising billboards.

It says something about this series that I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ccs posted:

You might enjoy his other books too! The Blacktongue Thief, The Necromancer’s House, and The Lesser Dead were all excellent. None went quite as hard as Between Two Fires but still some of the best books I’ve read in a long time.

Also as Christophe the Insulter he worked the Ren Faire scene for a long time and is a generally solid dude.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Seconding the Lesser Dead which was excellent.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Deptfordx posted:

Seconding the Lesser Dead which was excellent.

Christopher narrates the audiobook himself and he is dang good at it imo. does all the voices. what a bleak book though. par for the course i guess.

looks like he made his go fund me goal and also it turns out the injury isn't as bad as it first seemed, cool.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished The Two of Swords by KJ Parker. A fairly satisfying ending to a satisfying series overall

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Kestral posted:

when he introduced the octopodes in children of ruin i was like oh man this guy just can't help himself

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

buffalo all day posted:

when he introduced the octopodes in children of ruin i was like oh man this guy just can't help himself

He's living his dream

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's living his dream

The Doors of Eden were like if a cosmic horror had a well balanced sane protagonist. Had all sorts of weird sapient races.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sibling of TB posted:

The Doors of Eden were like if a cosmic horror had a well balanced sane protagonist. Had all sorts of weird sapient races.

unfortunately at least to me, the Literal In-Universe Biology Textbook parts were a lot better to read than the actual plot

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

it's not slice of life, first book of a series
standard enjoyable AT

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I thought The Doors of Eden was decent, with a weirdish split between the aforementioned textbook sections and the main story portion.

It does make me wish there were more books in the "explore a dozen different worlds", basically Sliders family.

Actually, not that The Doors of Eden fits, but a monster-of-the-week approach is something I'd be interested in seeing more of in fiction. The same characters facing very different planets/monsters/whatever, short story or novella length, would be v. cool. Maybe this exists in Kindle unlimited and it just all sucks? :thunk:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

I thought The Doors of Eden was decent, with a weirdish split between the aforementioned textbook sections and the main story portion.

It does make me wish there were more books in the "explore a dozen different worlds", basically Sliders family.

Actually, not that The Doors of Eden fits, but a monster-of-the-week approach is something I'd be interested in seeing more of in fiction. The same characters facing very different planets/monsters/whatever, short story or novella length, would be v. cool. Maybe this exists in Kindle unlimited and it just all sucks? :thunk:

I think that sort of format used to be fairly common in older SF, when fix-ups were more common.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

unfortunately at least to me, the Literal In-Universe Biology Textbook parts were a lot better to read than the actual plot

I mean you can say the same of Moby Dick

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
need me a chapter about space whale cassock.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kestral posted:

It’s not a joke, though it’s also not a major part of the story. One member of the crew is a crab person and they run into another crab person or two, but there isn’t that xenothropological focus that you see in his other books.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Aardvark! posted:

I think the old Sector General series kinda fits? Alien-of-the-week hospital drama. I’ve read a few and they were pretty good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sector_General

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 8, 2021

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean you can say the same of Moby Dick

The Hunchback of Notre Dame, too, but with a thesis on architecture and an overwhelming sense of Old Man Yells At Neoclassical Building

Quorum fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 8, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.tor.com/2020/03/17/a-guide-for-working-breeds-vina-jie-min-prasad/

Forgot this existed, and it's awesome.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Thanks; that was fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

That was adorable!

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Everyone should read this

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Stuporstar posted:

I think the old Sector General series kinda fits? Alien-of-the-week hospital drama. I’ve read a few and they were pretty good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sector_General
Yeah seconding this recommendation, as long as you don't mind the dated sexism (which is of the tame variety) they're really good fluff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Because of you guys I just started on Between Two Fires and holy crap, this thing is, well, fire.