Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I really like Blue Box, I think the art is really nice and the story is like pretty easy going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Not enough talk about the others.

Elusive Samurai is really good. Extremely cool chapter. Good fight, nice strategy and scary people.

Magu Chan remembered their holy knight and did with him what they should’ve been doing. Also still love une just prancing him. A good fun chapter with heart.

Candy Flurry heh. I didn’t dislike this chapter at least. Oddly the think I liked best was the lead putting her hair in a pony tail so she can kick rear end better. It’s practical and Shounen isn’t always practical to their girls.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Candy flurrys got charm. But main girl needs more character past being the straight woman to the recettes complete weirdos. Irie is very good though. I have a feeling her gimmick is going to be evergreen if used well enough.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

My favorite part of Candy Flurry is the characters trying to be cool only for it to be undercut by the reveal that they are still morons.

Like when the MC revealed her powers to save the food cop and then tried to callback to their earlier conversation about the proper way to eat lollipops only for the food cop to be like "are you for real right now?" in the same panel she's trying to be cool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Mashle managing to do good horror and slapstick comedy in the same chapter this week

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man yeah I love Blue Box.

It's just like a cute slice of life sports and love manga.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think Blue Box suffers from being a little too restrained for a shonen manga. I do appreciate the avoidance of some of the sillier/hornier romcom tropes, but the portrayal of badminton and basketball feels a little too grounded.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1401802442866581505?s=19

Didn't see this coming, but I'm stoked!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's very funny, It's just Sket Dance but with a different MC hook.

Not a diss, but exactly the same energy.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Oh YEAH! Party time! I hope hope hope it keeps far away from the basic Shounen tropes and just keeps being sweet with stupid and mundane uses for super power and magic for as long as possible.

edit: Apparently Magu-chan isn't doing very well. Actually same with 9 dragon balls.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 7, 2021

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I think Blue Box suffers from being a little too restrained for a shonen manga. I do appreciate the avoidance of some of the sillier/hornier romcom tropes, but the portrayal of badminton and basketball feels a little too grounded.

being more restrained is a point in its favor imo. makes it stand out compared to most of its contemporaries

not everything needs dumb powers and I hope it never feels the need to get horny

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah i feel like if you wanted some wild shonen junk alongside a romance, that's already happening over in Yozakura Family and Witch Watch. Blue Box being lowkey about everything has been refreshing and makes it stand out. i would agree it could stand to focus the sports angle a bit more with how slow burn the character bits are, but hopefully that comes along with them doing actual games at some point rather than just practice.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't want Blue Box to be wacky to be fair, I'd be happy with the characters being less boilerplate and the pacing and conflicts feeling better. Right now it just doesn't feel like the story is developing in any interesting way and any hint of a conflict or a development gets immediately tossed aside.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbf that's super common in shonen series before the plot kicks into full gear. every conflict is resolved in 1-2 ch and subsequently never referenced again. basically what I'm saying is that haryu is monster carrot

not really sure what you mean by conflicts feeling better tho. what exactly are you looking for there?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I love Blue Box but I’m a sucker for romance type story. Especially when it’s backed up with a “gotta do good at sports” story. I still think Phantom Seer was really good though and would have been amazing given more time.

Candy Flurry is ok. Nothing amazing, great premise, complete yawn of a main character because having a cool power and then the story be “character has to hide and not use power”
is kind of counterproductive.

Witch Watch took me by complete surprise because at first I didn’t like it but the humour got a lot better and the fun one chapter stories about how a spell goes crazy wrong are great. Good that it’s seeing a lot of success.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I get the impression Blue Box is attempting to be a romance aimed at both men and women readers (which to be clear is a good thing, since nearly all of the things specific to "romance manga aimed at straight males" are pretty bad).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Blue Box has filled the Act-Age(rip) hole in Jump for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
witch watch is just a very good conventional romcom.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The guy's pedigree proceeds him. I can't personally attest to Sket Dance but Astra was my world (ha) when it was headlining the non WSJ updates of the app and again when the show came out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sket dance was mostly pretty good but with the occasional brilliant comedy scene.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sket Dance when it was on was so loving good

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Weirdly, I bounced off Sket Dance hard at the start, but I'm loving Witch Watch.

Manatee Cannon posted:

not really sure what you mean by conflicts feeling better tho. what exactly are you looking for there?

I was more referring to the pacing there, but as for conflicts I guess it'd be nice if the stakes felt more meaningful. Even if we as an audience know that the protagonist is largely assuming problems where there aren't, it'd be interesting to see how he's affected and where that leads in terms of growth rather than just... seeing it dropped immediately. Or, hell, just get to the romance part so that's out of the way and we can see how the story evolves from there. This limbo just doesn't work for me at all.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 8, 2021

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Is Black Clover any good? I'm on the lookout for what I should read after I finish Kuroko.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Some people swear by Black Clover but I found what I've seen incidentally of the anime (which is actually quite a lot) to be profoundly generic and empty on pretty much every level.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alacron posted:

Is Black Clover any good? I'm on the lookout for what I should read after I finish Kuroko.

It's OK. It's sort of like Fairy Tail in terms of tone, but better than Fairy Tail on the whole (and doesn't have the gross obsession with female characters humiliating each other, thankfully). Like Fairy Tail, it benefits from being fast-paced enough that it never gets truly boring (except for one specific fight that goes on forever for some reason). The fights are pretty to look at, although the way the characters' powers work is sometimes rather plot-based.

If you're looking for something on the app to read, have you tried Black Cat or Psyren?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arist posted:

Some people swear by Black Clover but I found what I've seen incidentally of the anime (which is actually quite a lot) to be profoundly generic and empty on pretty much every level.

Black Clover has a notoriously bad adaptation, to be fair. It's a One Piece-style no-season-breaks anime for some reason, with the terrible pacing you'd expect from that, plus the main character's hot-blooded shouting becomes a lot more annoying when voice acted.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, Black Clover anime got passed over to Pierrot and produced under similar standards as something like Naruto. anime-only material added to fill episodes and they didn't always have time to add polish like the two-cour seasons for MHA/JJK/KnY etc.

it does feel more old-school in its battle shonen-ness compared to the newer stuff like JJK or Unluck, so i think it has a good niche in current WSJ and is like a comfort food thing. i enjoy the art and fights of course, but mainly it grew on me from most of the Black Bulls being fun or interesting characters and seeing the initial hook of Asta persevering to spite prejudiced nobles expand to exploring how a majority of the cast have been negatively affected by their feudal society. the cast is larger than it needs to be, as usual, but the other big complaint i'd have (length/pacing of Elf arc) is not much of an issue since you can just read it all at once instead of weekly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I quite like the manga, it has some great art, particularly for Devil designs.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone, I think I'll try it out. I'd heard the anime was kind of a trainwreck so I'd been avoiding it, but it would hardly be the first time a good manga had a terrible adaptation.

Silver2195 posted:

If you're looking for something on the app to read, have you tried Black Cat or Psyren?

Not yet, I don't know anything about them so I haven't paid attention when I'm browsing. I assume they're pretty good?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

black clover is maybe a step above series like fairy tail but it's nowhere near the level of the really good shonen battle series

it's fine. sometimes it's pretty good, but just as often it's kinda bad and it never really goes beyond that in either direction. tho iirc there's one really egregious segment of the story where it brings in characters from some light novel with no actual introduction. it's just assumed you know who they are

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alacron posted:

Thanks everyone, I think I'll try it out. I'd heard the anime was kind of a trainwreck so I'd been avoiding it, but it would hardly be the first time a good manga had a terrible adaptation.

Not yet, I don't know anything about them so I haven't paid attention when I'm browsing. I assume they're pretty good?

Yeah. I guess Black Cat isn't truly exceptional, but it maintains a pretty consistent level of quality. I mention it mostly because nobody else ever seems to mention it; I think it's one of those 00s anime and manga that used to be talked about a lot but seem mostly forgotten now, like Wolf's Rain, the DEEN version of Fate/Stay Night, and the .hack franchise.

Psyren is genuinely impressive, though it's hard to explain why. There's just something striking about the characters and atmosphere.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just remember appreciating the development of Psyren's power system, and it taking some fun twists that moved it away from the standard-seeming isekai death game premise it started with. the author's other series was shaping up pretty well before they canned it too, which was a real shame. came just a bit too early maybe? since urban fantasy stuff has now exploded, even if they're killing off stuff like Phantom Seer.

wrt the LN characters in Black Clover, they show up in the Witch Country arc and the Viz chapters do have some summary pages covering their deal. their inclusion is definitely odd though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
To be clear, I was just giving those particular anime/manga as examples of much-talked-about and now-forgotten 00s series, not making comparisons in terms of quality. Don’t actually watch DEEN F/SN!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover is derivative in the extreme in many ways, but still manages to have a much stronger identity than the many cancelled battle series that have come and gone in the 5+ years it has ran. It has good art and character designs, a handful of really good characters, and it moves along at a decent pace overall.

It's just ridiculously old-fashioned in its approaches. There's not a lot of in depth character drama (each character has a thing in their past, they get over the thing, get a power up, move on pretty quick, and new complications don't arise), the protagonist really doesn't change outside of getting powerups because they're a good person with a good attitude from the word go who doesn't really have any hard lessons to learn, and the badguys mostly exist to get sworded with utterly shocked expressions on their faces. The anime was apparently pretty popular in Japan but got Studio Pierrot'd where it looks like poo poo about 70% of the time and has its share of filler. One of the primary animation directors (Tatsuya Yoshihara) really put some love into TRYING to make it look good with a bad schedule and lack of staffing for hype moments and I really respect that. The funny thing about Black Clover's anime is that I bet that as far as the internal production part of the anime industry goes it'll have a longer lasting effect than MHA, Jujutsu Kaisen, etc- because Tatsuya did some real work on a severe time budget by using Blender and other software extensively. A lot of it looks weirdly off-model but is 1000% cooler than the Seven Deadly Sins-tier poo poo it would've gotten otherwise.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
A lot of shonen manga have a few things they want to convey and use manga cliches as glue to fill out characterization and content and connect plot pieces that are actually interesting. I read 100 chapters of Black clover and it appeared to be made entirely out of glue, though some of the characters are fun enough despite that (like the BB commander).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 9, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yami is the best character in Black Clover.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really liked psyren when I read it, dunno how it holds up

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm actually not a big Yami fan. He's a little too much of an rear end in a top hat early on, and the "surpass your limits" thing is overused.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Black Clover manga is definitely worth reading as while the characters aren’t that deep their battles are so much more fun and interesting then the usual one on one fights in shonen; early chapters are weak but the fights starting at the sea temple arc are where the action gets really entertaining. Team battles actually have every member contribute which makes them so much more interesting.

Also Tabata has such an underrated art style; the devils he draws are absolute fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A devil for example.