Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I concede that "post better" may have been a clearer mod suggestion.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

only having done one reported* rape means he's objectively the good guy here and not at all like that awful evil trump who did tons of rapes who... uh... who he's defending... for some reason... even though he hates doing it oooh that trump is just so bad!

* please disregard that Tara Reade has been dragged through the mud, sent death threats, etc. for the last few years by every Democrat and Democrat voter. That's not relevant at all and doesn't suggest anything. Everyone knows that there's lots of times where a rapist only rapes once, pretty late in life, having never ever even thought about doing any rapes before.

hell yeah tone argument let's fuckin gooooooooo!!!

Once again we're smack dab in the middle of palette-swapped 2016-17 Trump voter rhetoric: "you're being intentionally inflammatory", "attacking my side is only making you look bad", "I'm the one you have to convince, actually, and you're not helping your case", "if you keep carrying on like this I'm simply not going to pay attention to your crazy screaming", "calling people an X is only going to make them ignore you... or X even harder!".

Anyway let me lay it out for you so I hit the good post word count threshold: Posting Isn't Praxis. No one posting on Something Awful, or Twitter, or anywhere, should ever be under the impression that their posts are doing something like convincing the "other side" of a point. That doesn't happen.
Sometimes, in aggregate, enough strong arguments in a particular direction may change someone's (even fundamental) positions on something in conjunction with lived experience, class status, etc. In this sense only the content of the argument matters because that's all that's ever going to be evaluated, distantly, as an afterthought. "I read a post SO GOOD it made me a communist" has never been true in the same way "Everyone was mean to me on the online and it made me become a nazi" has never been true.

I'm at least cognizant of my posting here enough to recognize that I cannot and will not convince you or anyone who is fired up enough to respond to me about how my ideas are bad and I'm a mean toxic bully, but I am posting here to refocus and interrogate my own positions and (hopefully) come out with better and stronger stances and formulations of those stances. I'm writing and arguing, ultimately, for myself -- as we all are -- in the hopes that it will make me stronger where it matters: offline, where I actually do have opportunities to convince people.
It should come as no surprise that my offline conversations about this stuff are vastly different from my online conversations because of the nature of those conversations and the relationships involved, and the fact that it does not behoove me even one single bit to be gentle and kind so the people who want to make excuses for rapists, even if they don't believe that's what they're doing.

No one, on any side here, should ever operate under the delusion that we're trying to convince other posters. We're here to make our arguments, and if my being sardonic or direct makes you uncomfortable that seems like a you problem, not a me problem, and might be a very strong hint that you should honestly and objectively interrogate your own positions on this stuff

I feel like your theories are flawed because people manage to convince each other on these forums all the time. Indeed, that's one of the things that draws many people to D&D: the chance to gain new insights and knowledge and to test the mettle of their arguments and opinions against those of others via debate and discourse. But the two must go together, and in order for that to happen you have to be humble and receptive to opposing viewpoints. If you're arguing with people solely to refine your own positions, with no expectation that you might convince the other side or vice versa, that's the very definition of (I hate to even use the term) bad faith because it means you are in it purely for yourself, often at the expense of not just other posters and the community (because you're being abrasive and toxic) but also the causes you purportedly support (because it will push the other side further away).

You are correct that sometimes the issues are so controversial and their implications so foundational that it's not possible to convince the other side right away, and the best that can be hoped for is gradual change. Even then though, humility and empathy go a long way. For example, you snarkily dismissed my post as "tone argument" but perhaps you shouldn't have, because tone does play a big role in argumentation. We are humans, not robots — if you are asking people to question and doubt their very identity, then you better make sure you apply not just the correct rhetorical devices but also the right tone. Viciously attacking them by blaming them of hypocrisy or double-standards and trying to guilt them is not going to work, especially not in the long term because people may forget what you said but tend to remember how you made them feel. And toxic bullying (your words, not mine) tends to induce unpleasant feelings.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I feel like your theories are flawed because people manage to convince each other on these forums all the time. Indeed, that's one of the things that draws many people to D&D: the chance to gain new insights and knowledge and to test the mettle of their arguments and opinions against those of others via debate and discourse. But the two must go together, and in order for that to happen you have to be humble and receptive to opposing viewpoints. If you're arguing with people solely to refine your own positions, with no expectation that you might convince the other side or vice versa, that's the very definition of (I hate to even use the term) bad faith because it means you are in it purely for yourself, often at the expense of not just other posters and the community (because you're being abrasive and toxic) but also the causes you purportedly support (because it will push the other side further away).

You are correct that sometimes the issues are so controversial and their implications so foundational that it's not possible to convince the other side right away, and the best that can be hoped for is gradual change. Even then though, humility and empathy go a long way. For example, you snarkily dismissed my post as "tone argument" but perhaps you shouldn't have, because tone does play a big role in argumentation. We are humans, not robots — if you are asking people to question and doubt their very identity, then you better make sure you apply not just the correct rhetorical devices but also the right tone. Viciously attacking them by blaming them of hypocrisy or double-standards and trying to guilt them is not going to work, especially not in the long term because people may forget what you said but tend to remember how you made them feel. And toxic bullying (your words, not mine) tends to induce unpleasant feelings.

Debates are intrinsically public affairs. The audience is assumed; it is larger than you and one other guy each trying to convince the other - after all, this is not happening via private message. Hence why complaining about how the tone makes you personally upset is so odious. His posts are not for you; they are for anyone who reads them. If he believes that expressing his sincere anger is more likely to buttress his point among the audience, who are you to chastise him?

Moreover, this doesn't even touch on the fact that the issue we're discussing is utterly heinous. To insist people not be angry about sexual harassment and assault is absurd, as if politics doesn't have an emotional component; the personal is political. You allude to this with "humans, not robots"... and somehow conclude that the human who isn't you should just be quietly accepting framing they find utterly amoral.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Lester Shy posted:

Also this is just a really bizarre criterion for believably. Tara Reade would have more credibility if other women had come forward after her? In this case, she's the one coming forward after other women had already spoken about Biden's inappropriate behavior.

There's other sexual assault allegations against Biden?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

World War Mammories posted:

Debates are intrinsically public affairs. The audience is assumed; it is larger than you and one other guy each trying to convince the other - after all, this is not happening via private message. Hence why complaining about how the tone makes you personally upset is so odious. His posts are not for you; they are for anyone who reads them. If he believes that expressing his sincere anger is more likely to buttress his point among the audience, who are you to chastise him?

Moreover, this doesn't even touch on the fact that the issue we're discussing is utterly heinous. To insist people not be angry about sexual harassment and assault is absurd, as if politics doesn't have an emotional component; the personal is political. You allude to this with "humans, not robots"... and somehow conclude that the human who isn't you should just be quietly accepting framing they find utterly amoral.

I didn't say don't be angry. Like I said, I have a personal interest in this topic, and I am angry.

I said maybe don't be a toxic bully who attacks others for not sharing the same opinion.

Regarding your point about audience, there are actually two audiences here. The first consists of people who are on the "Biden is a rapist monster" camp. The second consists of everyone else, including those who may be on the fence. Anger might score a lot of points with the former, but probably not the latter. But then maybe I'm wrong, and loads of lurkers are being converted every hour and we just don't know it. :shrug:

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

The OP didn't specify "sexual assault," just inappropriate behavior. There are several accusations of inappropriate behavior and inappropriate touching:

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-biden-allegations-women-2020-campaign-2019-6

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/04/joe-biden-inappropriate-touching-accusations-list.html

It's something for which he's been criticized for many years (this daily show segment is from 2015 I believe)

https://www.salon.com/2015/02/25/you_have_one_fking_job_jon_stewart_mocks_joe_bidens_groping/

This behavior had previously just been hand-waved as Biden being an "old fashioned" and "tactile" politician until Tara Reade's (credible) allegation was made public.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Rust Martialis posted:

Various anonymous ones, can't remember the exact count - given the response to Reade, I am not surprised they haven't come forward.

There was also that longstanding thing since at least 2014 of him enjoying swimming naked in front of female secret service - it's certainly a big watch it for that kind of mindset.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

tmfc posted:

The OP didn't specify "sexual assault," just inappropriate behavior.

Oh, it's not like Handsy Uncle Joe was a secret, just that Reade was the only one I'd heard of who credibly alleged sexual assault.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I told myself I was going to stop looking at this thread, posting in this thread, thinking about this thread because it makes me so incredibly upset and angry every time I see someone do some loving rape math or seriously imply that action is being taken against the people in the democratic party who have been accused about harassment or rape when there isn't. It's all time wasters. It's because they need to it get boring and fall off the docket of the news because that way people won't actually have any idea what these people have done. I guarantee you someone like one of the Cuomos is going to run for president in our life time and the fact that he was "investigated but it went nowhere" will absolutely be used as points towards why he will be a good candidate because he can survive a scandal! It's like a prerequisite for being president in the last 40 years. Did you survive your sex scandal? Did you get away with rape? How many women did you harass with no consequence?

This thread is never going to change the minds of people who don't believe women. It's not going to change the minds of people who make excuses like "They're just a hands on politician" but for people who are earnestly thinking about this and caring about this - How can we make it so politicians and powerful people actually get truly investigated and shoved out of politics if not in jail. I don't even have faith that it can happen at all but its literally the only thing I see that can actually happen.

Pushing this thread into its own little hidden containment zones was bad because essentially this is exactly what the news does to people. It stops being front page and in the main conversation so everyone can slowly forget that the candidate is a sexual harasser or rapist. When was the last time any of us saw andrew cuomos accusers on the news outside of the deep buried politics section? When was the last time any of us saw Tara Reade being discussed in a serious manner - that didn't automatically dismiss her? It's not hot news. The only people that can keep it on peoples minds is us. So don't loving probe people when they color everything Joe Biden does with "well he is a rapist" because that's the absolute only loving way we continue to remind people that he is a loving rapist. It's not bad faith to remind people that yes, he's a horrible person to reference when it comes to women's issues because HES A RAPIST. He's a horrible untrustworthy person period, because he's a loving rapist.

Any people say "Well what do you expect me to do about that, what does reminding people that he's a rapist going to do?" - well maybe if we drill it into peoples heads long enough they won't just blindly vote for him. They wont say stupid bullshit like "oh that's just the russians trying to make him lose" or some other looney stupid poo poo like that.

And yes this is an incredibly emotional subject and expecting people to do a "beep boop, facts - beep boop did not get charged with a crime beep boop" poo poo isn't ok. I shared my experience with being raped earlier in this thread and how many years it took me to talk about it and how many years it took me to feel ok talking about it and even 20 years later it still gives me the shakes. Holding any rape victim to the impossible task of going to the police when they by default don't believe you and by default will always believe the person in power means women don't report it. The act itself is emotional. Talking about it is emotional. Remembering and thinking about it is emotional.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ :glomp:

Rust Martialis posted:

Oh, it's not like Handsy Uncle Joe was a secret, just that Reade was the only one I'd heard of who credibly alleged sexual assault.

Could we not dismiss the violation of women's physical boundaries as being "Handsy Uncle Joe," please?

eta: This is the second time I've asked you to not do this itt. I even explained why.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 9, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

silicone thrills posted:

I guarantee you someone like one of the Cuomos is going to run for president in our life time and the fact that he was "investigated but it went nowhere" will absolutely be used as points towards why he will be a good candidate because he can survive a scandal!

So much of the posting in this thread is "if you don't agree with me, you're definitely going to do [x] in the future" and if you don't understand why that kind of posting pisses people off I don't know what to tell you.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

If he believes that expressing his sincere anger is more likely to buttress his point among the audience, who are you to chastise him?

Regarding your point about audience, there are actually two audiences here. The first consists of people who are on the "Biden is a rapist monster" camp. The second consists of everyone else, including those who may be on the fence. Anger might score a lot of points with the former, but probably not the latter. But then maybe I'm wrong, and loads of lurkers are being converted every hour and we just don't know it. :shrug:

The original poster was criticized for failing to ingratiate themselves with their opponent, in this debate. You've acknowledged the possibility of an audience, but then make the same argument again, by framing the audience as functionally identical to yourself.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Willa Rogers posted:

Could we not dismiss the violation of women's physical boundaries as being "Handsy Uncle Joe," please?

If it makes you happier, he's a creepy, touchy-feely, wildly-inappropriate-at-a-minimum, hair-sniffing old weirdo. Quite possibly committed at least one sexual assault. Good old Handsy Uncle Joe.

I dismissed nothing, incidentally, you seem a little too hyper-ready to jump to attack people who actually substantively agree with you, friend.

gently caress Handsy Uncle Joe.

Ed: in neither case was I referring to Reade's allegations as Biden being "handsy". Biden does, generally, have a reputation for being "handsy", however. I don't think that's really a contentious point, surely?

I am able to differentiate Biden's public persona from private allegations, and frankly "Handsy Uncle Joe" seems quite apt as regards the former. You may, in future, assume that is the frame of reference in which I am using the term. I will try to remember to talk about the sexual assault allegations as "Rapey Uncle Joe" in a gesture of solidarity henceforth. I hope this can be reciprocated in comradely good-fellowship, friend.

A compromise has been put forth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 9, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mellow Seas posted:

So much of the posting in this thread is "if you don't agree with me, you're definitely going to do [x] in the future" and if you don't understand why that kind of posting pisses people off I don't know what to tell you.

Im glad that's all you took out of my entire post. Really proves my point. Thanks.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ :glomp:

eta: This is the second time I've asked you to not do this itt. I even explained why.

Oh my god that av

You got someone real good and mad

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

silicone thrills posted:

This thread is never going to change the minds of people who don't believe women.

You helped to change mine. Thanks, for what it's worth.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Harvey Mantaco posted:

You helped to change mine. Thanks, for what it's worth.

:unsmith: It's nice to hear but it isn't something I think any of us can expect on the internet. Or even in person.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

silicone thrills posted:

Im glad that's all you took out of my entire post. Really proves my point. Thanks.
Hmmm. Seems like it also proves mine. :shrug:

e: Since you deserve a less flip response to this and you have been very honest and forthright in this thread:

People do not want to feel personally culpable for the rape culture of this country. Frankly, I don't know if Biden is guilty of what he's been accused of, I will never know. But I got put in this position: Vote for this guy, who disagrees with you politically on 100% of issues, who is credibly accused rapist, or vote for this guy, who disagrees with you politically on maybe 75% of issues, who is a credibly accused rapist.

I didn't loving ask to be put in that situation, and what I decided to do with it doesn't reflect on me the way you are insisting that it does. We're all just trying to do our best. There are a lot of people who have been helped because of Joe Biden winning the 2020 election, and presumably more who will be helped in the future. How does the value of that help weigh against the value of me voting for Hawkins or La Riva or staying home and becoming a minute, imperceptible datapoint of public dissatisfaction with political candidates accused of sexual violence? Everybody has to come to their own conclusion on this, and if people want to take the route of sitting out, especially if they are dealing with related trauma, that's fine and that's good and I encourage it. I decided to handle it differently. I don't deserve to be treated like I'm a monster and browbeaten for doing so, any more than you deserve to be accused of "supporting Trump".

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 9, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I didn't say don't be angry. Like I said, I have a personal interest in this topic, and I am angry.

I said maybe don't be a toxic bully who attacks others for not sharing the same opinion.

I mean, we have an example of a "convert" on this very page, in addition to the poster sharing how this discourse dismissive of sexual assault has harmed them ("Do you have citations?"). If you don't think that you're being dismissive, then again, those posts aren't for you, but for those who are. Besides, I'm of the opinion that 'don't be a toxic bully' is better achieved by believing women, especially since I largely see toxicity from things like, for example, Kevin Drum calling Reade a "lunatic." Wondering where the toxicity comes from is like the guy in the hot dog suit asking who crashed the hot dog car...

Mellow Seas posted:

Hmmm. Seems like it also proves mine. :shrug:

...or someone shrugging at a rape victim sharing their story.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

...or someone shrugging at a rape victim sharing their story.
You know drat loving well that wasn't what I was shrugging at.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm temporarily closing this thread while the mods figure out where to go from here. We'll either reopen this thread, create a new one, or something along those lines.

Right now the current state of this thread isn't tenable. This is a valid topic that deserves discussion and examination, but right now, that isn't happening. This is also not an invitation to continue this in any other threads or create a new one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, this thread has honestly lasted a long longer than I thought it would, and has largely been more productive that I predicted. That said, I think the thread's central focus on Tara Reade's case is causing some stagnation, and I think that it's time for the thread to get rebooted and expanded. If you are interested in writing or contributing to the OP of a new Rape Culture/#metoo thread, PM me. We haven't decided if this thread will remain closed for the entire interim, but the topic does have a place in D&D and it will return soon.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I haven't heard from anyone yet, so to be clear, I'm looking for a few write-ups: "what is rape culture?", "a brief history of #metoo", and "here's a list of useful sources for further questions". I want it to be clear that, while a lot of the conversation is going to focus on the crimes of famous people, we should keep in mind that those crimes are a manifestation of a larger cultural issue, and let that inform discussion.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
OK, as per discussion in QCS, this thread will be reopening as a general rape culture and metoo thread. It has been closed almost a week now, so please leave behind any non-productive conversations and make an effort to have a respectful and earnest discussion about this extremely serious issue.

In particular, the mods will be looking for quality posts on rape culture, metoo, and the contexts that both exist in, and we'll be giving out free avatar changes to people who write them. We'd also like to see reposts of older posts in this thread that you think are interesting or informative. We're going to try to put together a compilation of good posts and useful resources to help with discussion.

Remember, famous people aren't the only incarnations of rape culture, it's important to discuss how these issue affect people in every social strata. Please discuss respectful, and remember that even if people haven't shared their stories, they may be victims themselves or be close to people who have been.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thanks, FoS.

I want to repost this, bc afaik no one replied to it in the thread's earlier incarnation, and bc I think it warrants some discussion:

Willa Rogers posted:

One of the things I've thought about is how Dem sexual abuse & harassment is usually only covered by rightwing media, which makes it easy for liberals to dismiss such news as "Another rightwing smear job by a discredited hack outlet. :rolleyes: "

If it's deemed big enough--ie, Lewinsky--and the media can't ignore it, then it's time to discredit by smearing the accuser. Otoh, if it's the way Biden ignored the physical boundaries & autonomy of young girls & women it's easy for corporate media to brush it off as james o'keefe-ish editing tricks bc until the past year that behavior was only covered by rightwing outlets--but that doesn't make Biden's behavior any more acceptable, and then the sourcing becomes the story more than the underlying news. (And such a tactic is p. effective, as we see itt when the behavior is shrugged off as "creepy grandpa stuff.")

I haven't yet read the dnd thread on reliable media sourcing, but this media dynamic is why I'm a bit squicked out at Dems' eagerness to censor & de-platform rightwing sources; I wonder if that eagerness isn't at least partly due to a Dem ideal of marginalizing & shutting out news that is damaging to members of the party.

I have no idea whether the flip side is true--I imagine it's done by the GOP as well, but I don't read rightwing media. Ultimately I really don't want Jack Dorsey determining that certain stories are injurious to his ideals of democracy, as happened with the Hunter Biden coverage in the NY Post, because the next time a Dem politician rapes someone, and only outlets like the NY Post are covering it, it'll become even easier for liberals to squelch & dismiss the news.

And this also ties in with the Me Too eruption of media scandals post-Weinstein; beloved liberal media figures like Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Glenn Thrush and John Hockenberry and lesser-known-but-influential names like the head of NPR's news division, Michael Oreskes, were all found to be harassers & rapists.

If liberal-media ranks are filled with sex pests & rapists, how reliably will they cover Dem sex pests & rapists, especially when it's politically inconvenient, as in 2020? And if rightwing media are the only ones amplifying news about Dem rapists, does shutting them out of social media & censoring such news (as well as amplifying non-news like Bernie's imaginary hatred of women intuited through his body language, as someone mentioned upthread) serve our political process or further destroy it?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Some really good prior posts:

silicone thrills posted:

I told myself I was going to stop looking at this thread, posting in this thread, thinking about this thread because it makes me so incredibly upset and angry every time I see someone do some loving rape math or seriously imply that action is being taken against the people in the democratic party who have been accused about harassment or rape when there isn't. It's all time wasters. It's because they need to it get boring and fall off the docket of the news because that way people won't actually have any idea what these people have done. I guarantee you someone like one of the Cuomos is going to run for president in our life time and the fact that he was "investigated but it went nowhere" will absolutely be used as points towards why he will be a good candidate because he can survive a scandal! It's like a prerequisite for being president in the last 40 years. Did you survive your sex scandal? Did you get away with rape? How many women did you harass with no consequence?

This thread is never going to change the minds of people who don't believe women. It's not going to change the minds of people who make excuses like "They're just a hands on politician" but for people who are earnestly thinking about this and caring about this - How can we make it so politicians and powerful people actually get truly investigated and shoved out of politics if not in jail. I don't even have faith that it can happen at all but its literally the only thing I see that can actually happen.

Pushing this thread into its own little hidden containment zones was bad because essentially this is exactly what the news does to people. It stops being front page and in the main conversation so everyone can slowly forget that the candidate is a sexual harasser or rapist. When was the last time any of us saw andrew cuomos accusers on the news outside of the deep buried politics section? When was the last time any of us saw Tara Reade being discussed in a serious manner - that didn't automatically dismiss her? It's not hot news. The only people that can keep it on peoples minds is us. So don't loving probe people when they color everything Joe Biden does with "well he is a rapist" because that's the absolute only loving way we continue to remind people that he is a loving rapist. It's not bad faith to remind people that yes, he's a horrible person to reference when it comes to women's issues because HES A RAPIST. He's a horrible untrustworthy person period, because he's a loving rapist.

Any people say "Well what do you expect me to do about that, what does reminding people that he's a rapist going to do?" - well maybe if we drill it into peoples heads long enough they won't just blindly vote for him. They wont say stupid bullshit like "oh that's just the russians trying to make him lose" or some other looney stupid poo poo like that.

And yes this is an incredibly emotional subject and expecting people to do a "beep boop, facts - beep boop did not get charged with a crime beep boop" poo poo isn't ok. I shared my experience with being raped earlier in this thread and how many years it took me to talk about it and how many years it took me to feel ok talking about it and even 20 years later it still gives me the shakes. Holding any rape victim to the impossible task of going to the police when they by default don't believe you and by default will always believe the person in power means women don't report it. The act itself is emotional. Talking about it is emotional. Remembering and thinking about it is emotional.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

This really is it, and why we were treated to pages of "well technically"s and "sure it was inappropriate, but"s: some people understand politics to primarily be the actions undertaken by a government or within a government. Politics is the thing Joe Biden does when he signs an EO or congress passes a bill and everything down the chain: advocates, lobbyists, procedural processes, etc. etc. The only real meaningful interaction any "regular" person can have with this realm is their vote. It's so important because it actually means something and does something, even if it's a small thing, and because of that some part of the actions and responsibilities of the people or parties you vote for is invested in you. They are there because of you, after all.

People who think like this then look at the GOP and, obviously and correctly, see them as evil. Their voters, ultimately responsible for them getting to office, share in that evil. They're bad people who do bad things, they love evil, and so vote for people that do evil. There might be a few exceptions here (lack of education teaching you the good opinions, say) but this is broadly what they believe. If they weren't bad people, they wouldn't put bad people in office to do bad things.

Unlike me!

I'm, obviously, a good person. Sure, I make the occasional mistake (who doesn't!), but ultimately have the right opinions and believe the right things. I don't think women should be raped, for one -- obviously! -- who could argue with this? I'm a good person, with correct opinions, so I have a moral responsibility to do everything in my power to stop the evil people and their bad voters, so I vote for Democrats. Maybe I even consciously identify as a Democrat or a liberal to really highlight (to myself) the degree to which I am on the side of the angels.

But wait a minute, the guy I voted for raped somebody!

This isn't good. I can't wash my hands of the vote I cast for him because a) voting is the most important political act I can make, and b) if voting doesn't confer responsibility then I have no mechanism by which to blame the horrible awful chuds for Trump. I might have to do something really uncomfortable like consider class, which would really upset my comfortable worldview and at any rate Marxism is a fake ideology that's not pragmatic and doesn't even actually exist according to Snopes.

Well okay, what can I do? First off, I can simply say that whoever is accusing a Democrat of being sexually inappropriate is lying. She didn't get a degree or whatever and look here, she was interviewed by Russia Today. This clearly means that she's a lying fraud who is doing this for clout and because she loves Vladamir Putin, history's greatest monster. She just wants to see our proud democracy brought low. She's the dang joker.

Oh wait a minute, there are ten accusers?

Okay well look this is obviously bad. We all agree. This is just an unfortunate and painful exception in a party who is otherwise committed to women's safety: look here, they're forming a committee! Who could argue with that? That's Doing Something, for sure. I'm trusting in The Process. I have to, because that's what I voted for, and I don't vote for evil bad things, I vote for the good things. I'm a Democrat. And besides, in the end it doesn't really matter if some democrats are bad people, we still need them there. We can't just get rid of the rapists. Do you want Trump to come back? Do you want New York to burn to the ground? There's only one way to accomplish anything and that's following the rules exactly.

Anyway this is why rapists like Biden or Cuomo or whoever else will continue to thrive in the Democratic Party just as much as they do in the Republican Party because Democrat voters can't blame the party for anything Democrats do. If they start to, the whole thing falls apart. This was probably mostly -- but not completely -- true until Trump, who really is the greatest gift to the Democrats because now he's the enemy at the gates that's going to bring about the fourth reich unless we toe the Democrat line exactly.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I just want to say i'm really glad THIS thread was reopened. I did reach out to D&D mods and explained my position and not sure if it made a difference in this instance but I was glad I was heard. I wasn't expecting it.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 16, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Newly published study lays out what many of us have seen with our lying eyes:

quote:

New research from Syracuse University Newhouse School of Public Communications reveals a relationship between political biases and attitudes about sexual assault.

Authored by assistant professor Rebecca Ortiz and PhD student Andrea Smith, the article "A social identity threat perspective on why partisans may engage in greater victim blaming and sexual assault myth acceptance in the #MeToo era," was published in the peer-reviewed journal Violence Against Women.

Ortiz and Smith found that the stronger the partisan identity of Republicans and Democrats, the more likely they were to engage in victim blaming attitudes, which was then related to a lesser likelihood to perceive the #MeToo movement as having a positive impact in the United States, possibly as a way of defending their political identities in a time when many political leaders have been accused of sexual assault.

In this cross-sectional study, the researchers sent a survey to Democrats, Republicans and independents and asked them a series of questions related to how strongly they identify with their political party affiliation.

The next series of questions looked at their attitudes about sexual assault and violence against women. These questions explored how likely they were to agree with myths about sexual assault, such as believing that female victims are at least somewhat responsible. The researchers then broke down responses by political identity and gender.

"What we found is that the more Republicans and Democrats strongly identified with their party, the more likely they were to agree, or at least not strongly disagree, with these sexual assault myths and then the less likely they were to perceive the #MeToo movement as having a positive impact," said Ortiz. "As predicted, these sexual assault myth attitudes were significantly higher among Republicans than Democrats and among men than women. We also found that our participants aligned more closely by party than gender, such that Republican women more closely aligned with Republican men and Democratic men with Democratic women."

However, while the Democratic Party has championed the #MeToo movement and women's rights, the researchers' findings indicate that even strongly partisan Democrats may still be willing to, at least somewhat, question a victim's story or believe in sexual assault myths, perhaps especially when a Democratic politician is accused of harassment or assault.

This narrative has played out on both sides of the political spectrum. In 2016, former President Donald Trump was accused by several women of sexual misconduct and harassment. During the campaign, an infamous tape resurfaced of Trump making lewd remarks about women and bragging about sexually harassing women. He still won the election and enjoyed popular support from Republicans. Likewise, while many Democrats called out former President Trump for the numerous sexual assault allegations against him, some Democrats were far less willing to criticize President Biden when a similar accusation was made by a former staffer during the 2020 elections.

"It appears that both Democrats and Republicans have the potential to engage in victim blaming and acceptance of these harmful cultural myths about sexual assault survivors as a means of preserving and defending their political identities, perhaps especially when powerful members and leaders of their political group are accused of these crimes," said Ortiz.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Common sense isn't so common and all that.

I think a big part of this whole discussion ends up going back to "How can we get people to stop treating politics like its sports?" because "Its fine if my guy committed a crime because it isn't as bad in my eyes as the crimes that the other team committed" just isn't tenable.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Isn't this thread really about how both parties are bought and paid for by donors, and will do anything to maintain the status quo. They will virtue signal, but taking actual action requires permission from the billionaires that own them.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

doverhog posted:

Isn't this thread really about how both parties are bought and paid for by donors, and will do anything to maintain the status quo. They will virtue signal, but taking actual action requires permission from the billionaires that own them.

It's about sexual assault and the lack of accountability for the same among powerful people (and just in general). I get the connection you're making but no, that's not the main topic of the thread.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

Common sense isn't so common and all that.

I think a big part of this whole discussion ends up going back to "How can we get people to stop treating politics like its sports?" because "Its fine if my guy committed a crime because it isn't as bad in my eyes as the crimes that the other team committed" just isn't tenable.

If we're being honest I think if people were treating politics like sports I think they would be MORE willing to accept sex crimes committed by "their guy." Politics is a serious matter that a lot of people are treating quite seriously, and because of that seriousness, accepting that "their guy" had sexual assaults to their name would require serious soul searching about how far their own support should go, given the potential serious consequences of giving up that support. Denial springs from the 'need' to avoid that painful soul searching.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Since the rules of D&D are insanely vague - is it OK to also post about celebrities that get away with rape and harassment and how that informs the general public which allows politicians a pass as well?

Also: something i've been pondering on the last few weeks:

Sometimes i'll see people use the phrase "separate the art from the artist" and maybe that's ok in some ways. You can appreciate things and then be informed of what the artists did later and you shouldn't feel guilty about enjoying the art medium. But lately i've seen people also apply that to politicians. A few different instances recently i've run across is people who literally say things like "I would rather vote for Ed Murray again (a child molester) than Jenny Durkan because Ed Murray was for progressive causes" rather than acknowledging that both of these people shouldn't be politicians and are net negative/harmful people. - This isn't a strawman by the way, I can dig up the quotes but its a bit strange to do.

We have such an obsession with the concept of only having a choice between two evils that i've seen folks make up their minds before a primary is even over that they're ok with voting for a net evil person. In my experience this is what is playing into allowing harassers, rapists, molesters into office.

reignonyourparade posted:

If we're being honest I think if people were treating politics like sports I think they would be MORE willing to accept sex crimes committed by "their guy." Politics is a serious matter that a lot of people are treating quite seriously, and because of that seriousness, accepting that "their guy" had sexual assaults to their name would require serious soul searching about how far their own support should go, given the potential serious consequences of giving up that support. Denial springs from the 'need' to avoid that painful soul searching.

Maybe its because what I went through so I'm more attuned to it but I feel like people have been more aggressive about defending sex crimes in politics than in sports. Like extremely aggressively. Just bringing up that a democrat is a sex monster and I wasn't willing to vote for them in a public democratic group/forum has not resulted in very pleasant experiences for me.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 16, 2021

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Flying-PCP posted:

It's about sexual assault and the lack of accountability for the same among powerful people (and just in general). I get the connection you're making but no, that's not the main topic of the thread.

Yes of course, but the main explanation as to why nothing is done about it is there. Power flows down from the top. The reason Medicare for all isn't passed even though it has popular support is the same reason powerful people get away with these kind of things.

There is no difference between Bezos or Koch paying Trump or Biden to keep them low taxed and free of regulation, or keeping them and their main lackeys immune to rape charges.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Since the rules of D&D are insanely vague - is it OK to also post about celebrities that get away with rape and harassment and how that informs the general public which allows politicians a pass as well?

I posted about Allen v. Farrow upthread and no one objected to it; I don't see why that would be any different now even (especially!) under the new guidelines.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah that's entirely fine and encouraged, apologies that wasn't clear.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Dnd has literally no rules about what you can or can't talk about as long as you're following the general rules of 'put in effort' 'don't be an rear end in a top hat' and 'if you can't engage in good faith, don't engage' and the like.

Obviously that doesn't include hate speech or anything actually illegal etc., but I'm hoping that goes without saying.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

doverhog posted:

Not really. Politicians and famous people often get away with it because of their wealth and influence, but in cases affecting poor people, abusers tend to get away with it because nobody with any authority actually gives a poo poo about the accusations and even if they do, they can expect to encounter the same sort legal and cultural barriers that people accusing famous individuals do on a smaller scale. It's a widespread issue and focusing exclusively on politicians or the rich does it a disservice.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

Sometimes i'll see people use the phrase "separate the art from the artist" and maybe that's ok in some ways. You can appreciate things and then be informed of what the artists did later and you shouldn't feel guilty about enjoying the art medium.

This is an argument that's never made sense to me, personally. For starters there's the basic fact that there's no piece of art so vital to me that I'd be willing to overlook the crimes of the person who made it, but beyond that, how do you do it? If there's a film or an album or the like that's so grand and influential that keeping it around is worth that price of admission, HOW can you separate it from the person who made it? Their fingerprints are all over it, and their influence looms so large that it changed the culture forever, and we're supposed to just not look over there? The classic example would be Polanski, and I guess woody allen but I'm ignoring him because I hate all of his poo poo. Chinatown is a great movie and all, but how the gently caress are you going to watch it without constantly being aware the director thought that John Huston's character was actually the good guy? How are you going to watch Rosemary's Baby and silence that voice in your head telling you that in real life the director is one of the neighbours? How do you compartmentalise like that? What's with the weird drive to be like oh I know he was a bad guy, but he was such a genius, instead of just watching a different film by someone who isn't a monster, especially among people who at least pretend to be better than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

fool of sound posted:

Not really. Politicians and famous people often get away with it because of their wealth and influence, but in cases affecting poor people, abusers tend to get away with it because nobody with any authority actually gives a poo poo about the accusations and even if they do, they can expect to encounter the same sort legal and cultural barriers that people accusing famous individuals do on a smaller scale. It's a widespread issue and focusing exclusively on politicians or the rich does it a disservice.

I appreciate the response, and yeah it effects everyone "low status", or just lower status, that would challenge an abuser, whether that be through legal or social means in similar ways, just the details are different.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 16, 2021