Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

chiasaur11 posted:

It's also funny how SEED is a UC redo that adds in a Japan analogue just so Japan isn't the villains any more... and the villain factions are more popular.

I might have missed something, but as popular as SEED is, I don't see much merch suggesting that the audience is huge on ORB as a faction, while Zeon moves all kinds of merch.

M1 Astrays and the uh, Murasames, are not particularly exciting grunt suits.

Especially when you compare them to ZAFT's myriad funky machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The Archangel stuff in Destiny would have been a lot better for me if they truly were dealing with the shadowy backside of the war completely out of the main limelight.

It would have been more entertaining and digestible for me over “the Archangel shows up on battlefields and fights everyone” approach they went for

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1403021871155617794?s=20

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Netflix really going all in on streaming Gundam aren't they? Wonder why they took Flash out of the title and changed his pseudonym from Mufti to Mafty, though.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like Mafty's been around as a romanisation of Hathaway's alias for years. Either way, "Gundam Hathaway" has been the slightly awkward English title for this movie from day 1, maybe because it fits more with the title format of pretty much everything that isn't Char's Counterattack? Maybe they wanted to de-emphasise Hathaway the character in the title because there are more people in the potential audience who don't know who that is? Could even be that it was the pleasing-everyone solution to the Hathaway's Flash vs Brilliant Hathaway vs other options debate over the title.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lol at a UC show, especially one within the already established pre Victory timeline, describing a character as “The Hope of Humanity” in a way that that isn’t deeply cynical and misanthropic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a movie series not a show. Though that probably won't stop them from repackaging it the same way they did Unicorn and Origin.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ethiser posted:

Lol at a UC show, especially one within the already established pre Victory timeline, describing a character as “The Hope of Humanity” in a way that that isn’t deeply cynical and misanthropic.

You can have hope without that hope necessarily being realized in the short term.

Hell, you could make an argument that humanity still being around on Earth by the time Victory rolls around is already a pretty hopeful outcome, given that there were at least two brushes with outright extinction-level apocalypses in less than two decades(the opening of the OYW and CCA, respectively).

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
That gundam is so drat ugly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a movie series not a show. Though that probably won't stop them from repackaging it the same way they did Unicorn and Origin.

man splitting up a movie/ova like that with tons of cheap filler animation has just got to be the absolute worst way to experience the material. the same content but it takes triple the time is just such a waste even before considerations like how that fucks with the pacing

really unfortunate for anyone who saw origin or unicorn in that form without knowing the better options existed. i can't imagine they have a particularly good opinion of the material coming out of that

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Did the unicorn tv series have a lot of cheap animation? All I remember is the pacing of the episodes being really bad because as the end of the episode would seemingly come out of nowhere.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

obviously they're gonna call the third film hathaway's flash

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Is this an OVA adaptation for the film they just released? Y'all are saying movie series, I'm just very confused where this material is coming from or if its just redoing the film for a different longer format.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Is this an OVA adaptation for the film they just released? Y'all are saying movie series, I'm just very confused where this material is coming from or if its just redoing the film for a different longer format.

This is the film, which is the first in a trilogy of films adapting the Hathaway's Flash novels.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

1st Stage Midboss posted:

This is the film, which is the first in a trilogy of films adapting the Hathaway's Flash novels.

Ah got it. I did not know they were making a trilogy, but thats probably good for materials that closes out the first 100 in UC.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
And then we're getting a full remake of F91 as a full series.

For sure.

Any day now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If Sunrise did make an F91 show it'd basically be akin to Crossbone at this point, because Tomino has no interest in the property anymore and hasn't in 20+ years at this point and it'd be up to someone else to actually write it out based on the film and whatever notes still remain from the original production about the first 13 episodes or any plan beyond that. I say Crossbone not as in "it'd turn out to be Crossbone", but as in "it'd be like the production of Crossbone" where Tomino sent Hasegawa a plot summary for a story and Hasegawa kept a few elements from that story but basically made his own story on top of it. Different protagonist, different supporting cast, different themes, different tone etc.

Tomino can't even recall the production much anymore in interview apparently; though I've not read any ones it's brought up in to verify that myself. Certainly he is completely univolved in Gundam: Hatheway despite it being based on another story from around the same period, and Tomino has changed drastically in the decades since. Which is reflected in the tone of his works since that time, where he used to swing from comic to dark shows and not makes almost all shows with a rather happy atmosphere rather than being dark or very humorous in tone.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 10, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I mean, that's kind of Banagher's whole deal. His arguments with Full Frontal even have him describe the feeling of the "will of humanity" as warm and comforting, contrasting with the cold realpolitik that Full Frontal endorses, and his central character trait is determined, even unreasonable hope for the future, no matter how distant.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Victory is a show full of hope.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
By Turn A/G-Reco we've got multi-century gaps between real-deal wars, which is a big improvement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They kinda needed those centuries to repopulate, mind you.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

wdarkk posted:

By Turn A/G-Reco we've got multi-century gaps between real-deal wars, which is a big improvement.

I don't think that's entirely true. There have been no huge wars that engulf the entire setting, but in Turn A the different Amerian factions all have their own militaries and seem to be in an uneasy alliance early on as if they're used to fighting each other. Guin's militarizing for the negotiations are disguised as the country preparing for war with another nation (rather than an extra-planetary group the public is unaware of) and everyone in the nation appears to accept that as normal. I think the rumor is that they're preparing to fight a nation in one of the other continents? It suggests that there's been wars between the various factions on Earth that are pretty localized to their continent, as would have been normal up through that rough time period in real history but no world wars or space wars. The Moonrace do seem to have had peace for centuries or even millennia, but they're also presented as a unified faction with no external contact and a very staid culture that never innovates. Which is why Gym argues that conflict is necessary, since he thinks that the lack of conflict is what's made the Moonrace such a dead end culturally, technically etc.

The same seems roughly true in G-Reco. The Capital Territory, Ameria etc. all have their own factions, and everyone seems aware of the concept that fighting might break out without finding it an unbelievable possibility or anything. Which, again, implies there's been some fighting between those groups in the past; just never on a world war level or anything. At least partially because it'd have to be kept relatively tame or the photon battery supply would be cut off if I recall. Towasanga, Venus Globe etc. all have militaries too, but they seem like they're recently formed and the people involved are somewhat flying by the seat of their pants. Everyone in space tends to keep to themselves, and that isolation is what makes Cumpa think conflict is necessary, same as Gym really.

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, that's kind of Banagher's whole deal. His arguments with Full Frontal even have him describe the feeling of the "will of humanity" as warm and comforting, contrasting with the cold realpolitik that Full Frontal endorses, and his central character trait is determined, even unreasonable hope for the future, no matter how distant.

Banagher's hope also mirrors Amuro's hope. Banagher is not thinking or arguing "if we don't do that everyone will gather round in eternal harmony to sing kumbaya", and neither was Amuro. Or Mineva, for that matter. Amuro's hope was that people would eventually change, move off Earth on their own and maybe even evolve into Newtypes. He didn't think it could or should be forced, as opposed to Char. No timetable, no expectation that it'd happen soon; just someday. Banagher is similar. War might still happen, people might still die, the universe might still end in a nothingness so that all of human endeavor came but to naught; that doesn't make what people do in the here and now meaningless though, and it's still worth doing good where you can and improving the world regardless, rather than just deciding everything is meaningless and so anything is conscionable.

The fact Victory happens doesn't mean that people haven't done good things in the interim, and that it'd be fine for Zeon to press gang the entire Earthsphere and kill millions to ensure their boot is firmly stuck to everyone's neck. That is a really cynical view. Hathaway is a light of hope because even when he knows he's going to die he tells Kenneth that more people will follow him and confront the ills of the Federation. An idealism that directly inspires Kenneth, who decides to follow him because of what Hathaway said and how much he respected him as an opponent prior to that. Nothing has ever followed up on this, but it's possible Sunrise will make a Late UC story where Kenneth leads a Neo Mafty or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 11, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The UC also compares most of its conflicts to The One Year War which was a war that involved all of space and which couldn't be ignored. Even if they can't get rid of conflict entirely there's a significant difference between the death of the vast majority of humanity versus a conflict between two small groups where like fifteen people total die, even if the fate of the world is at stake.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I'm not super fussed about spoilers so I read a bunch of the summaries available for the Hathaway's Flash books fairly recently, and it actually does make sense to title Hathaway as a character of hope in the context of the HF story.

It's not that seeing him that way is cynical and unfitting with what F-91 and Victory do, it's that those two don't really honour what HF did since it was written years before they were made. I'm honestly curious how the movie adaption will handle the difference.

I'm wary of taking summaries too seriously since they're no the full work, but I kind of like the trajectory HF ends on on rather than where Late UC actually went.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well crap, I was hoping we'd get a theatrical release via Fathom or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am bummed about these only getting Netflix releases. I was really excited to be the one person in a theater watching a live action gundam adaptation but now it's just another Netflix film.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Midjack posted:

Well crap, I was hoping we'd get a theatrical release via Fathom or something.

its a pandemic homie it shouldnt be in theaters in japan either

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seemlar posted:

I'm not super fussed about spoilers so I read a bunch of the summaries available for the Hathaway's Flash books fairly recently, and it actually does make sense to title Hathaway as a character of hope in the context of the HF story.

It's not that seeing him that way is cynical and unfitting with what F-91 and Victory do, it's that those two don't really honour what HF did since it was written years before they were made. I'm honestly curious how the movie adaption will handle the difference.

I'm wary of taking summaries too seriously since they're no the full work, but I kind of like the trajectory HF ends on on rather than where Late UC actually went.

The movies will have content set both before and after the films to deal with, and I'm definitely curious how it's going to be handled.

Unicorn didn't exist when Hathaway's Flash was written any more than Victory did, and the screenwriter for those OVAs (and Re:Rise) is adapting Hathaway.

It's likely there will be references both ways (Unicorn references and maybe cameos on one end, hints as to the future events in Victory and F91 on the other), but how much we'll get and how they'll be framed should be interesting to see.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

watching through gundam wing and man, the scene where releena tries to assassinate lady une is the best scene in anime history

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Spelling Mitsake posted:

That gundam is so drat ugly.

It's weird because when it showed up in SRW it looked pretty neat. But the designs and colour schemes they went with in the movie just look extra ugly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

watching through gundam wing and man, the scene where releena tries to assassinate lady une is the best scene in anime history

Wouldn't your dress look better if it was stained with the blood of OZ?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone have a good measure of UC Starship travel speeds/velocities/acceleration/Delta V? I got thinking about how long it took White Base to get from Side 7 to Earth (5 days including the pit stop at Luna II) compared to the 4 day travel it takes for Astronauts to get to the moon with 60s technology.

The distance from Earth-Moon L3 where Side 7 is located is 381,666 km. From Earth to Moon is 238,855 km.

So assuming they traveled uninterrupted at a steady speed the White Base covered 76,333km in 5 days as opposed to the roughly 59,714km a day traveled by Nasa astronauts in 4 days. If the Astronauts went to L3 at that speed they could cover the trip in just under 6 days.

Of course this only assumes that UC engines work like modern day engines while we know that UC has fusion reactors and that speed isn't the issue in space as much as rate of acceleration. I'm also assuming straight line trajectories which don't work in space either because everything is moving.

And I was never good at calculating acceleration in school and I don't have the information necessary to do it off the top of my head. Are there any specs for the White Base or for UC ships that could be used to calculate rate of acceleration and get a proper sense of how quickly they can move around the Earth Sphere?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 11, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only other thing of note I know off hand about travel time in UC is that when Judau was going to Jupiter at the end of ZZ, Sayla asks him if he's sure because it'll be about a 3 year round trip. So about a year and a half each way, presuming he doesn't spend a significant amount of time at Jupiter itself and is more there for the trip on the Jupiter Energy Fleet ship. Which is far faster than anything we could do in reality, but still quite a trek.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus White Base was attacked multiple times on its way back to Earth which would imply that either White Base is taking is slow and cautious or that it's high tailing it to Earth because of how quickly a Zeon patrol can jump them and plot an intercept course.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

tsob posted:

The only other thing of note I know off hand about travel time in UC is that when Judau was going to Jupiter at the end of ZZ, Sayla asks him if he's sure because it'll be about a 3 year round trip. So about a year and a half each way, presuming he doesn't spend a significant amount of time at Jupiter itself and is more there for the trip on the Jupiter Energy Fleet ship. Which is far faster than anything we could do in reality, but still quite a trek.

Wasn't Judau's plan to go to Jupiter and work in the mines there or something? I assume travel there would take a month or two and the bulk of those three years would be spent working.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah Scirocco came from the Jupiter system and it's implied he's been traveling for only a few months but it's still a long distance trip.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nuebot posted:

It's weird because when it showed up in SRW it looked pretty neat. But the designs and colour schemes they went with in the movie just look extra ugly.

A little bit of SD in the art style and some careful spritework will forgive many sins. Meanwhile, doing it in full-size in CG is probably just going to amplify the dodgier bits of its design. I have seen a good CG in giant robot shows including from Gundam, but the artform still has its limitations and one of them is it often looks clunky. Having to CG animate a big, bulky, already clunky giant robot is not an enviable task.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah Scirocco came from the Jupiter system and it's implied he's been traveling for only a few months but it's still a long distance trip.
I imagine the Jupiter fleet tends to move their big ships a little over a year apart to take advantage of whatever the most direct/lowest-spent-energy orbital intersection between the Jupiter and Earth spheres are. While I don't know exactly what that would be, it would be constantly moving because of Jupiter's own orbital period of a little under 12 years.

So if the Titans emailed Jupiter to request him or whatever he still might not show up until the fleet does. How long is it between his arrival and Judau going 'gently caress this, I'm out' in terms of the timeline? Presumably the ships that just completed their deliveries go back at the same time, and Judau might have just found out the Jupiter fleet is leaving in a week, so gently caress it, I'm gettin' on that boat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, one obvious complication in the math is that the distance from Earth to Jupiter varies as they revolve around the sun. You can have distances anywhere from 365 million miles to 601 million.

Apparently, the first Jupiter Fleet Zeon sent out needed four years for the round trip back in UC 70. Assuming three years for Judau would fit with that fairly well, especially with Evolve showing his arrival at Jupiter as being 18 months after he left.

Late UC has ships able to make the trip in 2 weeks... but that's in Crossbone, and Crossbone Gundam is really, really stupid, so it's not a useful point of comparison.

You get somewhat similar speeds in post-series 00, with a 2 year expedition to Jupiter and back. Even the ELS need over 3 months to get to Earth from Jupiter. Meanwhile, PD seems somewhat faster, but I'd need to go back to get exact times. (I remember the trip to Earth, including a round trip to Jupiter in the middle, was suggested to take under six months, including the time spent traveling to Edmonton and setting up contracts after the election, but the trip to Earth from Mars in early season 2 takes several weeks. Also, weirdly, there's a bit in the Mobile Armor arc where it only seems to take hours to get to Mars from Jupiter.)

In conclusion, Gundam travel times are weird, and the P.D. timeline in Gundam has FTL communication throughout the solar system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I’m almost finished with the first season on my first watch of IBO, and I’m enjoying it so far. Suit designs are cool, characters are pretty good, and main girl isn’t too crybaby (except when she’s crying into Mikazuki’s arms). I do have to say I love the touch that the bridge, galley, and hangar just progressively get more and more graffiti as the kids (or is it just the one guy?) paint all over everything.