Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

scroll up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
E ^ lmao

Methanar posted:

Think about the value in exclusively owning stolen IP though

They just need to sell the stolen source code as an NFT

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Maybe we will finally have another good battlefield now

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

like half a decade ago someone was making pcie fpga devices doing DMA to read player positions in cs; widespread enough that anti cheat software supposedly picks it up

fun stuff

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
why are people paying so much to cheat videogame lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I assume because they can make even more money being a successful streamer

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

is this from 1999?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

One problem: it's Frostbite

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

One community you absolutely should not try and cheat is apparently the MineCraft community

The kinda people who are real into MineCraft are also very into nerdy game adjacent subjects like statistics and will rip you to shreds.

https://www.looper.com/296944/the-minecraft-speedrun-drama-explained/

On December 11, Geosquare, a member of the Speedrun.com verification team, shared a video that analyzed Dream's speedrun alongside a 29-page report and rejected Dream's record. According to the report, Dream successfully bartered for the first key item 42 out of 262 times, and 211 kills resulted in the second item. The verification team noted that the likelihood of doing this is very low — a 1 in 177 billion chance — and deemed the speedrun "too unlikely to verify."

I do however see the incentive on the cheaters part. 10 million subscribers on a stream has got to be some money.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

taqueso posted:

is this from 1999?

No, 1998.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

taqueso posted:

is this from 1999?

crown_prince_of_korea sets mode +fart

mystes
May 31, 2006

taqueso posted:

is this from 1999?
It's IRC so yes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cinci zoo sniper posted:

to be more precise, the only way to get actually good hacks for a multiplayer game is to pay. typically we’re talking about saas setup with 20-300 usd per month for off the shelf solutions, and “bespoke cheat vendors” (we’re talking about custom hardware to decrypt network traffic etc) will charge you 4 digit setup fee on top

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

these days cheat programs are sold on a subscription model and they even have tech support. its wild

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yes there’s poo poo like for CS, iirc, there was a 2 piece hardware setup that involved a separate PC to mitm all in game traffic, decrypt it, and calculate aimbot movement necessary, which would send resulting “firing solution” to a custom pcie receiver in the gaming pc, that you plugged your mouse into, so the game would receive hybrid hardware+hack mouse output as a “legit” mouse input

jeeeesus. i knew there was some money in cheats but didn't know it was this much

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Most streamers aren't cheating on stream, as it becomes real obvious and there is a record that people can look at later to confirm. Off stream cheating to boost rank definitely happens tho as global rank, number of records etc definitely has an effect on your audience size.

See the YouTube channels Karl Jobst and Bismuth if you wanna see cheaters snapped, and also the latest Billy Mitchell lawsuits.

A recent game that just got rocked with a cheating scandal is TrackMania, with at least a dozen players and hundreds of records compromised.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jeeeesus. i knew there was some money in cheats but didn't know it was this much

Its definitely a huge industry. MMO's are a big source of this stuff. Wow cheating subscriptions use to be insane. Automating nearly everything unfun about the game. It was cracked down on so severly that its not as prevailent now, but its still around in wow.

brains
May 12, 2004

any game with ranked leaderboards in any category is pretty much 99% cheating at the top at this point. any game with randomized loot poo poo that matters is also getting farmed and sold at profit. streamers get caught all the time forgetting to turn off their hacks off on-stream, some in big-money competitions, no less. and yes, most of these cheat dev outfits are selling subscriptions because that's where the real money is. it's pretty nuts, really.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

look at how much money people pay just to make their numbers go up in solo freemium games with no real social or competitive component

cheats offer the same feeling, but with the extra bonus of being able to taunt people in voice chat while seeing your name at the top of a leaderboard

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I still use sp0rkeh

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Just get good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Methanar posted:

Just get good

i don’t understand

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yummycheese posted:

One community you absolutely should not try and cheat is apparently the MineCraft community

The kinda people who are real into MineCraft are also very into nerdy game adjacent subjects like statistics and will rip you to shreds.

On December 11, Geosquare, a member of the Speedrun.com verification team, shared a video that analyzed Dream's speedrun alongside a 29-page report and rejected Dream's record. According to the report, Dream successfully bartered for the first key item 42 out of 262 times, and 211 kills resulted in the second item. The verification team noted that the likelihood of doing this is very low — a 1 in 177 billion chance — and deemed the speedrun "too unlikely to verify."

I do however see the incentive on the cheaters part. 10 million subscribers on a stream has got to be some money.

idk if that's really a minecraft thing so much as a videogame dork speedrunner thing, and minecraft happens to be one of the best-selling games of all time so it's just statistically more likely to be the target of that nerd "getting way too good at understanding this one thing instead of doing anything useful with your life" impulse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sickening posted:

Its definitely a huge industry. MMO's are a big source of this stuff. Wow cheating subscriptions use to be insane. Automating nearly everything unfun about the game. It was cracked down on so severly that its not as prevailent now, but its still around in wow.

i mean i know it's an MMO and hooking you to grinding is part of the point but i just love the thought of a games developer hearing "people hate the un-fun parts of our game so much they're willing to pay hundreds of dollars to get around it just so they can get to the fun poo poo like raid with their friends" and instead of thinking "maybe we should remove the parts of the game that are not fun, so that the game is more fun" they go "we need to invest a ton of resources to ensure everyone must engage with the least fun parts of the game and punish those that attempt to avoid doing so"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

i mean i know it's an MMO and hooking you to grinding is part of the point but i just love the thought of a games developer hearing "people hate the un-fun parts of our game so much they're willing to pay hundreds of dollars to get around it just so they can get to the fun poo poo like raid with their friends" and instead of thinking "maybe we should remove the parts of the game that are not fun, so that the game is more fun" they go "we need to invest a ton of resources to ensure everyone must engage with the least fun parts of the game and punish those that attempt to avoid doing so"

the thought of some nerds paying to not play part of a game that they already paid to play is delicious.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

it's this

nobody has a litterbox because they want desperately to own a tray of piss and sand; they have a litterbox so all the piss and sand stays in roughly one place, and the place immediately around it, and the bottom of your socks and everywhere you or the cat has walked since being near the piss tray

the same is true of smart tvs and their piss tray networks

:dogcited:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Shame Boy posted:

It's deliberately timegated unfun content to make sure nobody plays the game too fast and doesn't buy next month's subscription op.

I tried playing wow and it was so transparently a carrot stick scam where there were specific time gated content pieces that took you exactly 2 months + 1 day if you did it perfectly optimal to guarantee that you'd pay two months' sub to get that dopamine hit of finishing something.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

yummycheese posted:

Speedrunners take that poo poo very serious. There was a big scandal in the zelda speedrunning community when it came out that someone was splicing together good runs to get world records.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

the people who play mmos play it for that grind and the idea that other people could play the game without doing the grind makes them insanely mad

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Methanar posted:

Just get good

can’t get good your way out of mmo grinding

on the other hand that is the game so why you’d want to pay to skip it in a game you pay to play on a monthly basis is … a thought at least

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

eh.. network code in gamed is ripe for far more than cheating. I can't see them trying to make much of the gfx/engine side, but a badly written parser for a game chat message could easily let you buffer overflow your way to pwning the pc for the usual shenanigans

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They just bought a cookie for an EA Slack channel.
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1403339739852279814

mystes
May 31, 2006

Where do these stolen cookies come from? Are they being mass collected by malware (maybe malicious browser extensions?) and then resold individually on the internet?

Edit: Like since browser extensions can have access to cookies, if some malicious extensions are exfiltrating all cookies from users and then they're just being put in some giant illegal database of cookies someone targeting a specific site/organization can search and buy individually for $10 at their leisure, that's absolutely terrifying.

Until recently I feel like there was some small degree of safety just because people making generic malware wouldn't necessarily be targeting/looking at the data on individual computers most of the time, but if there's now a market for stuff like cookies that are being automatically collected from malware, so people targeting specific organizations don't actually have to do any actual hacking/spear phishing at all, they can just go and buy a cookie for $10, that seems like it would be an insanely bad development.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 11, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

mystes posted:

Where do these stolen cookies come from? Are they being mass collected by malware (maybe malicious browser extensions?) and then resold individually on the internet?

Edit: Like since browser extensions can have access to cookies, if some malicious extensions are exfiltrating all cookies from users and then they're just being put in some giant illegal database of cookies someone targeting a specific site/organization can search and buy individually for $10 at their leisure, that's absolutely terrifying.

Until recently I feel like there was some small degree of safety just because people making generic malware wouldn't necessarily be targeting/looking at the data on individual computers most of the time, but if there's now a market for stuff like cookies that are being automatically collected from malware, so people targeting specific organizations don't actually have to do any actual hacking/spear phishing at all, they can just go and buy a cookie for $10, that seems like it would be an insanely bad development.

must be being harvested in bulk some how if you can buy them for $10, no way that's the result of a targeted attack

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a few years ago you could buy a pwned machine at a company of your choosing at xdedic. you could also buy individuals' creds, dox, etc. i wouldn't be surprised if login cookies were sold, or if they are sold on whatever replaced xdedic

it's insane what you can do if you read russian and have someone that can hook you up with the sites. i don't have either of those any more though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah and you also have to have, like $30 worth of bitcoin. this poo poo is so cheap

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol the "chief information security officer" that we got as part of an acquisition of a weird subsidiary sent out a warning email about ransomware to the whole company that super super looks like a phishing attempt. like it's full of unnecessary html formatting and misspellings and weird-rear end grammar and that thing some people do where they capitalize Important and Powerful Words :allears:

also the helpful tips do not include "use a password manager" but instead include "change your passwords often" which is great advice thanks

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 11, 2021

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It is a source of sublime joy everytime I report an official office email as a phishing attempt.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

They just bought a cookie for an EA Slack channel.
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1403339739852279814

at least they’re not the first website owner to be brought down by $10 cookies

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

at least they’re not the first website owner to be brought down by $10 cookies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
someone at my work once sent around a legitimate announcement as an attached word document, then got mad when almost nobody read it