Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Doctor posted:

I kind of want to know how the guy who didn’t take a ticket split the timeline. He worked for Goldman-Sachs, but he doesn’t seem like someone who would be able to create a nexus event.

I mean financial crises tend to have massive repercussions for society, so maybe he caused or averted (accidentally, most likely) one when he should have done the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Another rumored episode for What If? is Gamora hunting down Tony after nuking the Chitauri.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Goa Tse-tung posted:

in the top right in the tray is the Coronado cross from Indiana Jones lol

Can we get some screenshots of the drawer, because it seems I missed a lot.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The_Doctor posted:

I kind of want to know how the guy who didn’t take a ticket split the timeline. He worked for Goldman-Sachs, but he doesn’t seem like someone who would be able to create a nexus event.

In Loki's case it's not that he traveled back in time, it that he interacted with someone who traveled in time and made a different choice than in the "blessed" timeline. So maybe the guy had a time traveler brush past him and because of that he invested in Google rather than Ask Jeeves.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can we get some screenshots of the drawer, because it seems I missed a lot.

it's actually not that easy, I wanted to look at that gun but the stones are somehow super large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsjP3vRj-Qg

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

In Loki's case it's not that he traveled back in time, it that he interacted with someone who traveled in time and made a different choice than in the "blessed" timeline. So maybe the guy had a time traveler brush past him and because of that he invested in Google rather than Ask Jeeves.

The more I think about it, the more the logistics of all this seems to become a mess. Sitwell made a choice to give Steve the scepter instead of putting it on the road to Sokovia, which at least means Wanda and Pietro don't get tested on and that Vision can't be created, which seems like it'd mess up the timeline.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

live with fruit posted:

The more I think about it, the more the logistics of all this seems to become a mess. Sitwell made a choice to give Steve the scepter instead of putting it on the road to Sokovia, which at least means Wanda and Pietro don't get tested on and that Vision can't be created, which seems like it'd mess up the timeline.

Steve goes back in time and gives it to Pierce or whatever. Hydra still gets its hands on it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

OB_Juan posted:

I think the other Asgardians put up with Loki for so long because, while an rear end in a top hat, he was THEIR rear end in a top hat. Like the DB Cooper thing - hilarious.

That's part of why the audience roots for him as well. The duality of assholishness. That and he's the protagonist, and hella charismatic.

I think one of the main reasons audiences like villains like Loki who display some positive traits, especially as time goes on, is because people want to believe in redemption. It's nice having a story where even someone who does something completely vile eventually realizes the error of their ways and tends toward a better lifestyle and attitude over time without being punished unduly for it. Loki has skipped a lot of the punishment he was given, but redemptive justice would prescribe that acts of good are better than simply penalizing someone for bad acts anyway. Everyone likes the idea that even if they personally gently caress up or do something others find reprehensible that they can gain back the social favor they lost. Not everyone is going to be doing so after murder or other high crimes, but not everyone is going to be saving the world either. It's a magnification of the things people want, same as Thor beating up Dark Elves to save an alien heavenly city or whatever.

live with fruit posted:

Another rumored episode for What If? is Gamora hunting down Tony after nuking the Chitauri.

I do wonder now that you mention it if the events of Loki won't open up the multiverse for stories like What If...? to happen, rather than it just being a random tangent. Loki talking to Uata in the first episode as Uata tells him what having a multiverse means after whatever happens in the finale of his show would be fun.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Only about halfway through the episode, but I'm loving the 70s aesthetic they went with. They could have gone with a sterile "futuristic" white and cold steel look, but the warm tones and retro-looking technology look great.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it's actually not that easy, I wanted to look at that gun but the stones are somehow super large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsjP3vRj-Qg

Thanks for that.

Man, I got no goddamn idea what any of that poo poo is. Going to have to wait for the inevitable tweet from the production people.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks for that.

Man, I got no goddamn idea what any of that poo poo is. Going to have to wait for the inevitable tweet from the production people.

The only thing I even vaguely recognize is that the loop of wire just outside the tray most of the stones are in appears to be an arc reactor as Tony made them in the first two Iron Man films. I think.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I think I really want Christopher Eccleston to return as Malekith as he should have been able to knock it out of the park, but suffered from early "Marvel has no idea how to use their villains" syndrome.

Make him a "time variant" that existed before the TVA and let him eat that scenery. :D

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

shades of eternity posted:

I think I really want Christopher Eccleston to return as Malekith as he should have been able to knock it out of the park, but suffered from early "Marvel has no idea how to use their villains" syndrome.

Make him a "time variant" that existed before the TVA and let him eat that scenery. :D

I think he was pretty unhappy with his role (can't blame him), so hopefully he would be open to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't. Waste of a good actor.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

tsob posted:

The only thing I even vaguely recognize is that the loop of wire just outside the tray most of the stones are in appears to be an arc reactor as Tony made them in the first two Iron Man films. I think.

Hahaha, it looks like it is!

I hope they reveal what's in there, although the real answer will be: "we threw random stuff in there"

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

tsob posted:

That must have been from the variant Tony who, instead of using it to build a suit of armor, built a dodgeball cannon.

Doggles fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 12, 2021

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

tsob posted:

I think one of the main reasons audiences like villains like Loki who display some positive traits, especially as time goes on, is because people want to believe in redemption. It's nice having a story where even someone who does something completely vile eventually realizes the error of their ways and tends toward a better lifestyle and attitude over time without being punished unduly for it. Loki has skipped a lot of the punishment he was given, but redemptive justice would prescribe that acts of good are better than simply penalizing someone for bad acts anyway. Everyone likes the idea that even if they personally gently caress up or do something others find reprehensible that they can gain back the social favor they lost. Not everyone is going to be doing so after murder or other high crimes, but not everyone is going to be saving the world either. It's a magnification of the things people want, same as Thor beating up Dark Elves to save an alien heavenly city or whatever.

This is literally the day after the first Avengers movie. The one where Loki killed 80 people over two days while giving off Hitler vibes, then led an alien assault that probably did several 9/11s worth of damage and death to New York City. I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with you about why he's popular, I just can't make the same leap and so I'm constantly thinking to myself "haha our irredeemable mass murderer sure is in a pickle now!"

Hell, Loki didn't ever really realize the error of his ways either. Okay, he tried to stop Thanos from getting the stone, but literally hours before that happened he tried to betray his own brother and leave him in slavery on a distant planet.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
It's "boys will be boys" writ large, as all the other things about comic books is.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Trying to apply real human logic to comic exaggerations of character falls apart basically instantly because of this. Loki in particular is an archetype, not a person, but giving him personhood within the context of the narrative allows you, the viewer, to judge him not by a singular action but by the whole of his character and, usually, slightly more sympathetically. He's a bad guy, right, but not such a bad guy, you know?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Not more than 48 hours ago in-universe, he was about to kill an old man coded as a Holocaust survivor who refused to kneel before him and who compared him to Hitler.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

but he didn't!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Casnorf posted:

Trying to apply real human logic to comic exaggerations of character falls apart basically instantly because of this. Loki in particular is an archetype, not a person, but giving him personhood within the context of the narrative allows you, the viewer, to judge him not by a singular action but by the whole of his character and, usually, slightly more sympathetically. He's a bad guy, right, but not such a bad guy, you know?

One thing that I think the show brings up is that Loki as a 'bad guy' is because the TVA / Time Space Lizard council wanted him to be that way. In addition to culling timelines and removing variants they seem to also manipulate events to an unknown goal. Not sure if this is where the show will go but Loki now cognizant of this fact hopefully will reshape what he believed his 'glorious purpose' was meant to be and do so on his own terms.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phenotype posted:

This is literally the day after the first Avengers movie. The one where Loki killed 80 people over two days while giving off Hitler vibes, then led an alien assault that probably did several 9/11s worth of damage and death to New York City. I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with you about why he's popular, I just can't make the same leap and so I'm constantly thinking to myself "haha our irredeemable mass murderer sure is in a pickle now!"

Hell, Loki didn't ever really realize the error of his ways either. Okay, he tried to stop Thanos from getting the stone, but literally hours before that happened he tried to betray his own brother and leave him in slavery on a distant planet.

On the other hand, it's still the same person and we know from further movies that he has some capacity for improvement. Which hasn't gone away just because he was plucked from a different moment in his life. The entire episode's purpose was to establish why he is (or was) such a bad person and show that he's capable of self reflection. Also, while Loki betrayed Thor in [Ragnarok, it's obvious in context that he doesn't hate Thor and just wants to one up him because he feels inadequate next to his brother, see Thor be humbled by Hulk the way he was etc. Which, can you blame him? Who would want to be compared to Chris Hemsworrth, never mind Thor?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Phenotype posted:

Not more than 48 hours ago in-universe, he was about to kill an old man coded as a Holocaust survivor who refused to kneel before him and who compared him to Hitler.

I should probably make it clear here, sad as it makes me that I feel like I have to, that if you personally decide Loki the character in this or any incarnation is irredeemable then that is totally valid and you are welcome to think that. I personally am not trying to sway you to team Loki. You asked why and that sort of analysis is kind of what I do so here we are. Conversely, just because you think a fictional character is irredeemable does not mean anyone else has to.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

live with fruit posted:

I've seen merchandise from a similar thing where after Tony blew up the Chitauri he was unable to go back through the gateway and ended up stranded on Sakaar. He builds a Hulkbuster suit to fight in the arena too. Gamora could still be involved.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Firebert posted:

I've seen merchandise from a similar thing where after Tony blew up the Chitauri he was unable to go back through the gateway and ended up stranded on Sakaar. He builds a Hulkbuster suit to fight in the arena too. Gamora could still be involved.

There's art from What If...? of Gamora in Thanos' armor, so while she might have a story with Tony I'd think it more likely it's two seperate stories and not one story using two of the same characters as two other episodes, since the show probably wants to cast as many people in new roles and new stories as possible rather than reusing the same few people.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The beginning of this episode gave me huge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At2OMimezOk
vibes

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Re: redemption, whenever I think of MCU Loki, I think of this one-shot from the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (issue #26, 2017)

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 13, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s all true!

:garak:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Modern Leper posted:

Re: redemption, whenever I think of MCU Loki, I think of this one-shot from the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (issue #26, 2017)

I don't care that much about Loki's redemption, but I really, really want to get the full backstory that D. B. Cooper bit.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Really thought Loki was going to bisect that cop lady into the door ala' Legion given the line "only controls you, not the furniture".

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The World Inferno posted:

Really thought Loki was going to bisect that cop lady into the door ala' Legion given the line "only controls you, not the furniture".

If there's one thing all this interest in timelines and stuff I hope Legion gets a second chance. Yeah it's not perfect but most people don't even know it existed. (I am not speaking of the Somethingawful forum)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The World Inferno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3GnDCrZNLE

Professor X's kid is hosed up man

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Barreft posted:

If there's one thing all this interest in timelines and stuff I hope Legion gets a second chance. Yeah it's not perfect but most people don't even know it existed. (I am not speaking of the Somethingawful forum)

Oh God, please. The first seasons I've seen were so neat. It wouldn't be hard to set it as "another branch" of the multiverse.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh God, please. The first seasons I've seen were so neat. It wouldn't be hard to set it as "another branch" of the multiverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCvD0dAtfRQ

e: There were only 3 seasons anyway.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 13, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Also Chris Lloyd as Professor X is great casting. Great time travel poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJMrDvu0f-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBZFaBSK9xQ

Oh it was made by Noah Hawley. Whether you view that as a plus or not w/e

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 13, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's good and a rare example of "We don't really give a gently caress about the source, we just needed a brand to mitigate risk during marketing so we could make the show we wanted" adaptations. That's not a bad thing, especially as a counterweight to the MCU and the original comics (I still cringe reading those New Mutants issues that say David is "autistic").

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I want one of those VARIANT jackets. There seems to be a dozen sites where I can buy one, but who knows what the actual product will be.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

VectorSigma posted:

I want one of those VARIANT jackets. There seems to be a dozen sites where I can buy one, but who knows what the actual product will be.

I'm totally broke (waiting for my second vaccine shot so I can start looking around to make some money) but I would totally throw money for a jacket if I could. I don't care if I look like a dumb nerd and is extremely hot over here that you can't wear clothes like that lol. Or a TVA coffee mug. It seems critics got them as a gift, so those exist.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

We need to bring in Aubrey Plaza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw9EV0zqYuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tic1v0Gtog

Can we bring in Jemaine Clement as well?