Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

Katalepsis getting freaky as poo poo :stonk:

Sometimes I like to remind everyone that it's technically still a horror story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I've reached a critical mass with TWI I think. There are just way too many plot points right now and she needs to prune some of them. Somehow.

I can and have appreciated the slice of life stuff, but all the chapters that roused my emotions and made me go "yay!" have been those where the story noticeably progressed. Dunno maybe I'm just full of sour grapes.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Or we could just all admit TWI is a bad story by craft but uniquely so and let people enjoy their millions of words of worldbuilding with tenuous and stakeless plot.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Junk I'm still following actively, chopping out those that get talked about a lot.

Astrid vs the Asteroid is very cute. Set in the modern day, it's a romance I suppose, the world is gonna end soon due to an asteroid and the main character doesn't want to die. There's not very much of it so far and it doesn't seem to update very often, but it's nice to read something down to earth and without blue boxes for once. No system, no stats, just story.

Chrysalis is one of the ones I check first, after BtDEM. It's a long, long inner monologue of a dude who's been turned into an ant monster.

The formatting is quite frankly god awful for the first 2/3 of it, font sizes go up and down randomly, sometimes within the span of a sentence, some of the chapters have no line breaks, and there's some spelling and grammar mistakes, but the main character is very likeable and the worldbuilding chapters outside his pov are very, very good. It's 700+ chapters long and it kept my attention the whole way. Eventually it got an editor who seems to care, and formatting and grammar are no longer an issue. Worth a try if you can put up with short chapters and the insane early formatting. Updates daily 5 days a week.

Fates Parallel is a cute and well written xianxia with catgirls and lesbians! Not entirely sure how I feel about the path it's taking atm, and neither is the author, but it kept my attention while I was reading it. Ignore the cover. Reminds me a lot of Forge of Destiny.

Path of the Dragon Mage is the second thing I check, after BtDEM and before Chrysalis. A prince gets an unhatchable dragon egg and his life goes downhill from there, it's very different from a lot of the other stuff on royal road despite having a System, and it feels like it knows where it's going. I like it a lot.

Peculiar Soul, I remember nothing about this. Ok I checked and it's an interesting little thing about dude who gets magic but it's *~special unique~* and he doesn't know what his magic does. His dad is abusive and now he's living in the woods with a druid. It's not great, but the magic system is something different, and it could go somewhere good. The main character is super passive and most of the story so far has been about kicking him into gear. Currently trending.

Re: Monarch has kinda lost me tbh. I like it, but I have to work myself up to reading it and thinking about it makes me tired. Time loop about a fuckup prince with daddy issues. Pretty grim and I dunno, I feel like none of the side-characters have much agency and the looping stuff got me a bit lost after a while with who was who.

This Quest is Bullshit is updating again and I love it. It's silly, full of puns and very good.

Truth Seeker isn't great, but it's in the very early stages so far, so I'm giving it a chance. Timeloop with medieval-style adventurers guilds and dungeons. I think it's trending right now.

Web of Secrets: Modern Cultivation is a xianxia with computer hacking and I kinda like it. It's going some interesting places lately, too.

The Grand Game is pretty bad. Dude dies and gets pulled into a dungeon run by a necromancer then talks to himself for 50 chapters. Don't bother with that one. It's at the top of trending right now

Shoutouts to the Castle Kingside (Rewrite) which I got through 72 chapters of before giving up. Seems I was almost up to date. Medical genius gets sent to a medieval world and revolutionaises healthcare, amongst other things, and generally just debrides wounds and talks about malnutrition way too much and solves every problem he comes across by being Special. and The Last Human, which is in my hiatus folder because I can only read it in batches. Cool scifi thing but kinda dark, and I find myself unable to get through it in small doses.

How's Dungeon Crawler Carl doing? It finally lost me in the water/air/UP? level, are they out of there yet?

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 13, 2021

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Are you aware of the Follows page on Royalroad? You don't really need to check bookmarks separately and manually.

https://www.royalroad.com/my/follows

Other than that, thanks for the list. I'll check some of these out.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah but I normally open the whole folder at once, let them all load, close any that aren't updated and then tab through what's left. I check webcomics the same way at the same time. Then I use Update Bookmark to update anything that's changed. (ctrl+q and ctrl+space to update a bookmark)

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Nettle Soup posted:

How's Dungeon Crawler Carl doing? It finally lost me in the water/air/UP? level, are they out of there yet?

Book 4 just finished about a week ago and they're out of that floor, yeah. Book 5 is starting sometime soon.

Thanks for the recommendations, some of those sound pretty interesting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah but I normally open the whole folder at once, let them all load, close any that aren't updated and then tab through what's left. I check webcomics the same way at the same time. Then I use Update Bookmark to update anything that's changed. (ctrl+q and ctrl+space to update a bookmark)

You are insane and I respect that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Megazver posted:

Are you aware of the Follows page on Royalroad? You don't really need to check bookmarks separately and manually.

https://www.royalroad.com/my/follows

Other than that, thanks for the list. I'll check some of these out.

I just use an RSS reader since not everything I read is on Royal Road

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lone Goat posted:

how do people live without rss

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Lone Goat posted:

What RSS reader do you use? I've never used one, but I'm juggling so many stories and bookmarks at this point that I feel like it's time to start using it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I miss google reader. :(

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon: Welp, everyone in the inn is hosed.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Nettle Soup posted:

I miss google reader. :(
F

Sailor Dave posted:

What RSS reader do you use? I've never used one, but I'm juggling so many stories and bookmarks at this point that I feel like it's time to start using it.
I bounced around a few after Google loving murdered Reader, The Old Reader was good, AOL Reader was what I used until they killed that too, but I ended up on Feedly. I use the Reeder iOS app with it, but the website's good on a desktop.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Are those like, early interludes or patreon-exclusive forever bonus chapters?

I believe they are early interludes that will be released when the book is complete.

TWI Patreon: Kind of confused on how this isn't going to end terribly though the gnolls outside are hilariously hosed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sailor Dave posted:

Feedly on desktop/android

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Peachfart posted:

TWI Patreon: Welp, everyone in the inn is hosed.

If there's two characters that absolutely should not in any circumstances interact or meet it's 100%

Belavier and Mrsha.
Belavier's gonna offer to fix Erin, she's gonna offer to give her a voice, she's gonna offer to make her not a doombringer, and Mrsha's gonna fall for it hook line and loving sinker.

I don't see a way this ends well at all, not without some serious deus ex machina.

My current thoughts on way out:

1/ Pawn levels up something fierce by way of his faith powers trying to counter Belavier (and I don't even think he's in the inn right now). (UNLIKELY)
2/ Erin wakes up and kicks the poo poo out of belavierr with her new hope witch powers (UNLIKELY)
3/ Mrsha outsmarts Belavier (UN-FUCKIN-LIKELY)
4/ Most of the big players fuckin die.

On a non TWI note: can anyone vouch for Azarint healer? friend of mine said it's good and I'm somewhat keen to check it out but from the sounds of things it's loving long

e: lol I just realised we're not going to get a resolution to this cliffhanger for weeks

tithin fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 13, 2021

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

tithin posted:

On a non TWI note: can anyone vouch for Azarint healer? friend of mine said it's good and I'm somewhat keen to check it out but from the sounds of things it's loving long

It is aggressively mediocre and doesn't have much going for it other than sheer volume of words, but if that's what you're looking for...

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

tithin posted:

I gave up about 200 chapters in (it got boring)
its a bit above average in the murderhobo subgenre, which is extremely faint praise. The game systems are fine, nothing too interesting but also not actively annoying. the protagonist is a bit of a psychopath but not as bad as randiddididly ghosthound (lol) or some of the others. the side characters are kinda interestingish but not entertaining or amusing - like, they've got some potential but it wasnt realized by the time i quit. It was fairly uncompelling, too - , i dont remember if the protagonist actually has any motivation or if murderhoboing is just something that sparks joy for her. the Chosen One factor isnt too bad, in that the stuff she accomplishes is mostly earned and, like, plausible-ish given the genre (the author bothered to give a rationale for the ridiculous overpoweredness).

having said which, that all still puts it in the top half of the pack, and maybe it got better after i quit, so...

asur
Dec 28, 2012

tithin posted:

If there's two characters that absolutely should not in any circumstances interact or meet it's 100%

Belavier and Mrsha.
Belavier's gonna offer to fix Erin, she's gonna offer to give her a voice, she's gonna offer to make her not a doombringer, and Mrsha's gonna fall for it hook line and loving sinker.

I don't see a way this ends well at all, not without some serious deus ex machina.

My current thoughts on way out:

1/ Pawn levels up something fierce by way of his faith powers trying to counter Belavier (and I don't even think he's in the inn right now). (UNLIKELY)
2/ Erin wakes up and kicks the poo poo out of belavierr with her new hope witch powers (UNLIKELY)
3/ Mrsha outsmarts Belavier (UN-FUCKIN-LIKELY)
4/ Most of the big players fuckin die.

e: lol I just realised we're not going to get a resolution to this cliffhanger for weeks

The most likely thing saving Mrsha is that she doesnt have a lot of value to give. The most likely option seems to be Niers getting them out of it since he can't possibly be stupid enough to have jumped off to attack Belavier.

4. Is the unlikeliest of the options unless it's a lot nearer to the end of the book than I realize.

Azarinth Healer is fine for a web serial that has numbers go up. As mentioned the main character is a murder hobo who loves murdering things, though generally not people. It gets pretty repetitive and the author seems to have lost their way, or just has only one storyline that isn't interesting anymore.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I enjoy it, but I skim a lot of the actual fights. Main character is likeable, she checks if things can speak before she murders them and has her own moral compass. It's turned into a sort of Suikoden-like base-builder now with her just collecting random friends and then chilling with them in dangerous places looking for more friends.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

tithin posted:

Haven't read the chapter yet, but isn't there a new one on Tuesday? Although public will have to wait until it's been edited yeah, since the follow-up chapter is gonna be the second professionally edited one.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
The web serials I look forward most to updates nowadays are Azarinth Healer and Primal Hunter. Neither are as good as TWI, but that has been shelved until you know what happens.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Argue posted:

Haven't read the chapter yet, but isn't there a new one on Tuesday? Although public will have to wait until it's been edited yeah, since the follow-up chapter is gonna be the second professionally edited one.

No, this chapter is the "Raw" chapter, Pirate's doing the whole "rewrite" thing that she did a few chapters ago where she gets an editor to go over her work and rewrites it accordingly.

Patrons get the raw chapter, there's no chapter for the public this week, and the next chapter is the "refined" version that both Patrons and the public get at the same time.

e: you editted your post :(

tithin fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 13, 2021

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Was the revised chapter significantly better last time? I don't even think I realized when it came out after reading the raw one.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The start of Azarinth Healer was unreadable but I've heard the prose improves to normal-bad a ways in.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The start of Azarinth Healer was unreadable but I've heard the prose improves to normal-bad a ways in.

Yeah, even the rewrite of the start is so bad I have never made it past it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Nettle Soup posted:

I enjoy it, but I skim a lot of the actual fights. Main character is likeable, she checks if things can speak before she murders them and has her own moral compass. It's turned into a sort of Suikoden-like base-builder now with her just collecting random friends and then chilling with them in dangerous places looking for more friends.

Yeah it's this and it's occasionally hilarious. Push through the early stuff if you find it irritating.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I do pretty well not knowing what RSS is or what it's for in the slightest, except I guess from context hints here that it lets you keep up with webfiction?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

John Lee posted:

I do pretty well not knowing what RSS is or what it's for in the slightest, except I guess from context hints here that it lets you keep up with webfiction?

It's a notifier system, tells you when a new thing on a website has been published

The vast majority of websites have them, they're just not hugely popular these days. Basically lets you set up a curated feed of content that tells you when there's been an update to a website, podcast, or whatever.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

tithin posted:

e: you editted your post :(

I didn't? But in any case, I'm fairly positive you're interpreting it an update ahead. That is, the wording on the FB post definitely sounds like Tuesday's chapter is the "raw" one.

edit: lol okay so apparently Tuesday's chapter is gonna be the edited one, but also it's a different POV unrelated to the current Patreon chapter, and the cliffhanger will not be resolved until the update after the edit is complete on Tuesday's chapter.

Argue fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 13, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Are those like, early interludes or patreon-exclusive forever bonus chapters?

I believe Patreon exclusive. He only started doing them a few months ago (and only one a month).

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Ytlaya posted:

I believe Patreon exclusive. He only started doing them a few months ago (and only one a month).

They are only Patreon exclusive until the book is finished. They everyone gets them.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

asur posted:

Was the revised chapter significantly better last time? I don't even think I realized when it came out after reading the raw one.

if you're referring to TWI's previous edited chapter, it had a notably improved pacing, and more importantly, it gave us president Jeb!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

John Lee posted:

Most websites have an RSS feed hidden somewhere. You plug that into your feed reader app, and then every time the website updates, your reader pick it up and tells you / shows you the update when you check it, depending on how they've configured it.

It used to be a lot more popular, but then google killed the best reader app and nothing else has ever come close, really. I stopped using Feedly after it advertised me a thanksgiving discount for at least 6 months after thanksgiving...

I also just edited my list up there a little to make it more readable/give more info.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 13, 2021

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

It used to be a lot more popular, but then google killed the best reader app and nothing else has ever come close, really. I stopped using Feedly after it advertised me a thanksgiving discount for at least 6 months after thanksgiving...

Do you have an adblock? I don't think I've ever seen an ad on Feedly.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Adblock / scriptblock / tracker blocker. It was a bug and the advertisment was for a black friday discount.

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

I use Feedly just to manage my feeds, and FeedMe to actually read them (with the main advantages of no ads and automatic offline download so I can read when in spotty or non-existent connection.)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Today's Delve chapter was like listening to someone talk about the dream they just had for twenty minutes in excruciating detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I still like Delve but it really just moves at a glacial pace and chapters like the one this week don't help.

Nettle Soup posted:

The story only JUST got out of this floor, and I almost dropped it at this point also. There were a few points where I let multiple chapters stack up because I just couldn't bring myself to care about the current plotline. The final parts of the floor were a lot better and the story is working more towards the overarching plotlines which are looking good. It's still on my list of things I am actively reading but I can see it getting dropped if it doesn't pull my interest enough going into the next floor.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 14, 2021