Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Never ever vote republican.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

That's not what a troll is but I understand dad jokes may fly over some people's heads.

A fake post made deliberately for reaction is a troll.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Since the desired reaction is a chuckle, why bother mentioning it?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

A fake post made deliberately for reaction is a troll.

While both are looking for a reaction, a troll is looking for anger, a dad joke is looking for a laugh/groan combo, imo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was gifted the new Shuttle this week and spent 11 hours broken into three chunks building it. I can’t tell if it’s actually the physically largest set I’ve ever built or if there’s something particularly time-consuming about it, but my god did completing it feel like an accomplishment. It’s just gorgeous though, I love every detail and Hubble is the perfect accessory. These NASA sets haven’t been particularly fun builds (especially the LM) but it’s hard to argue with the end results.

It came with the Rocket Ride GWP, which I already have, so does anyone want to trade? I’ve been looking for the Looney Tunes CMFs but can’t find them in store anywhere.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Took a chance on this FB Marketplace lot today, mostly because it seemed like it had most of the pieces for the Blacktron base:

What I couldn't tell from the pictures was how filthy it is. Like, there's just large amount of actual dirt on some pieces, and lots of parts look like they've spent time in a rock tumbler. However, most of the hard to find parts of the base are there, as well a chunk of the Renegade ship and a lot of the Victory Lap Raceway. Speaking of the latter, this was in interesting find:

I've never come across a misprint like that before. I can't imagine there's much of a market for that since its not as interesting as weird Star Wars minifigs or whatever, but I may chuck it on eBay anyway.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Is there such a thing as variety packs all in one color, and if so how do I acquire such a thing? I've got an itch to start building legos after a 25 year break and all the old sets I had as a kid are all somehow $900+ now. I just want to try to build a castle.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

DrChu posted:

I've never come across a misprint like that before. I can't imagine there's much of a market for that since its not as interesting as weird Star Wars minifigs or whatever, but I may chuck it on eBay anyway.

Not at all. Misprinted bricks like that (regardless of theme) will fetch a pretty decent price. Some people collect that stuff and will pay a lot for it. I've seen it a few times now on FB, someone will post a misprinted castle wall or whatever and instantly people will ask to buy it, sometimes offering hundreds of dollars for it.

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Is there such a thing as variety packs all in one color, and if so how do I acquire such a thing? I've got an itch to start building legos after a 25 year break and all the old sets I had as a kid are all somehow $900+ now. I just want to try to build a castle.

Nope. The closest you'll get is the Classic sets, but they're very multicoloured.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

ElHuevoGrande posted:

You could get that new Creator 3-in-1 castle and make your own castles out of its pieces maybe!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ElHuevoGrande posted:

People on Ebay will sell lots based on color. It's also a good way to get cheap parts sometimes since it's a rather dumb/unpopular way to sell lego and usually you will end up being the only bidder.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Carbohydrates posted:

You could get that new Creator 3-in-1 castle and make your own castles out of its pieces maybe!

This is the way to go imo. You can build each of the designs in turn, and then make your own if you want. The set isn't out yet, but this is the one Carbohydrates means...
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/medieval-castle-31120

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Ok that Creator castle is rad and has the Black Knight guys I remember. Totally getting it and putting my lady scientist minifig in there as a time traveler. Thanks!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I still kinda want that 3-in-1 castle, it's so good.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Star Wars sets are a variety pack of gray pieces.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Slugworth posted:

Star Wars sets are a variety pack of gray pieces.

You are remembring sets from a more civilized time

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
In huge sets with big internal structures sure but the majority of the ships on my shelves are grey or white with black technic frames

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Of course they used to. But sadly Lego dropped that, so now the internal structure on most sets is basically all the colors of the rainbow to make building easier. I'd be happy with new sets that just have one-colored technic structures inside, but that's sadly no longer the case on most sets :/

e: then again I remember the yellow liftarms in the original UCS Falcon beeing it's third (or fourth, if we account the number of light grey antennas) most-expensive piece, and people actually checked for them if they saw a falcon to see if it was properly rebricked or not

tuo fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 14, 2021

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

xzzy posted:

That's not what a troll is but I understand dad jokes may fly over some people's heads.

Trolls? In MY Lego thread?

It's more likely than you'd think!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Am I, like, the only person who dramatically prefers the multicolored internal pieces? (edit: this is a bait-y question, I know I'm not the ONLY one, just getting a read on the general opinion) I see them get brought up so much in comments and reviews and everything as a negative, but:

- They keep the build experience less monotonous
- They can be used to orient or call attention to parts of the internal structure, preventing mistakes, such as marking opposite ends of the Colosseum
- They can be used to re-introduce parts in rare or previously unused colors, such as dark turquoise parts in the Ship in a Bottle or light bluish gray flower plates in Winnie the Pooh
- They can hide easter eggs like the Swedish flag in the Koenigsegg Jesko (spoiler tagged because it's a brand new set)
- More colors are just more fun to me, especially when the colors selected are thematically significant, such as in the Yellow Submarine.

I dunno. I really dig it. It's only a bummer when one of the colorful internal pieces is somehow visible from the outside, but that's more of a set design issue.

Anyway, we have a reveal of a third wave of Super Mario characters. Since these are really small builds, it makes it easier to check for new parts! Here's what I think I see, not counting any printed stuff:

- Scuttlebug has 4x yellow 65578: Minifigure, Utensil Posing Stand, Bar with Hollow Stud
- Raven has 1x orange 6215: Slope, Curved 3 x 2 x 1 with Four Studs
- Swoop has either: 2x dark azure 47905: Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Studs on 2 Sides, Opposite, OR ELSE: 1x dark azure 52107: Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Studs on 2 Sides
- It kind of looks like Amp is sand blue? If so, then 4x sand blue 15712: Tile, Modified 1 x 1 with Open O Clip. The sand blue 2 x 2 round plate would not be new, but it is extremely rare, only having ever appeared in 1 set from 2002.
- Torpedo Ted has 1x white 54568: Minifigure, Propeller 2 Blade Twisted Tiny with Pin Attachment

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I prefer less colors simply because I can reuse the parts more efficiently to build similar stuff without having to hide the colors.

I'm not that bothered by them as some people are, BUT (and that's my biggest beef with them) they should never be visible. And sadly, in some sets they are, even if only a very, very small bit, but it shouldn't happen/be visible.

Also (nearly) all my display sets sit in glass cabinets, and I simply can't put some of them on the highest level because the underside of them looks like a rainbow and you can see it through the glass.

tl;dr: I'd be happy if Lego at least stops putting all the colors visibly on the underside of sets. I'd prefer it if the insides would be a bit less colorfull, but it doesn't bother me that much.

The new UCS Star Destroyer was a bit much, though....

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

deoju posted:

This is the way to go imo. You can build each of the designs in turn, and then make your own if you want. The set isn't out yet, but this is the one Carbohydrates means...
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/medieval-castle-31120

It's out in Europe and it's rad. Totally worth getting if you're into castle sets. The blacksmith https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/medieval-blacksmith-21325 is also cool.

Only minor gripe i have is that the big sets for the last decade don't fit together scale wise. These 2 and https://brickset.com/sets/7189-1/Mill-Village-Raid, https://brickset.com/sets/10223-1/Kingdoms-Joust and https://brickset.com/sets/10193-1/Medieval-Market-Village are all different and when putting them next to eachother looks weird.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Carbohydrates posted:

Am I, like, the only person who dramatically prefers the multicolored internal pieces? (edit: this is a bait-y question, I know I'm not the ONLY one, just getting a read on the general opinion) I see them get brought up so much in comments and reviews and everything as a negative, but:

As long as you can't see it when finished, I like it (which is kind of what I thought the majority opinion was)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't mind the colors but would prefer if lego didn't do it, mostly because I disassemble all my sets eventually and if I'm gonna rebuild it into something else I want all the colors to be as in-theme as possible. The random red and yellow stuff gets tossed in the parts bin and never used again. Doing it on technic pieces is worse because those parts are not common unless you buy technic sets, so it kind of limits the ability to build with visible technic pieces because you're gonna have a big collection of rainbows.

But the colors do make assembly easier because lego's color matching in their manuals is still trash, so the contrast is appreciated.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i feel like they dont even make some of the technic parts in grey etc.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Spookydonut posted:

i feel like they dont even make some of the technic parts in grey etc.
Well yeah a lot of Technic is color locked, especially lately. Axle pin with friction is blue, without friction is tan, etc. There are still some aesthetic compromises, like a 2L axle is usually red but may sometimes be black if red looks just super bad, but for many pieces, there's no alternatives. You're just gonna have blue and red pins everywhere. That's a whole different issue, and one that wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue as it is if LEGO wasn't trying to pursue realistic-looking bodywork on Technic models, which is a silly goal anyway. Leave the photorealistic creations to Creator Expert and focus on mechanics and functions in Technic, maaaaaan.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That's why I'm still a big, big fan of the Liebherr. It's drat expensive, but one of the best Technic sets of recent years. It looks awesome (nearly like a Creator Expert set, not like the typical Technic set) and has pretty cool functions and is a lot of fun to build and play around with, and one of the Control+ sets where the app really shines when controlling the shovel arm.

I hope they go back to something like that...seeing the leaks of this years sets and the dozens of stickers they are somehow obsessed with now...ugh (I know, you can just leave them off, but I really don't get what they want to accomplish with them).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I'm totally cool with internal structures having color coding or whatever, as long as it's not visible in the completed build.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Technic being color locked for axles and connectors is actually very good, because you can just look at a piece and you have a general idea of what it's for. If it's a grey axle it's an even length (or odd, I forget) and a black axle is the other. Grey or beige pins are frictionless, black and blue pins have friction. The color customization comes from the beams and panels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can see blue technic pins on the headlights of the F40 and it makes me way more mad than it should.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I see the colourful internal structure as a way of using up unwanted parts on the factory end. However it has the added benefit of being easier to see what you’re doing as you build the final “shell” layer around the internals. The fact it always ends up hidden makes me largely indifferent to what colours they use structurally.

If I’m trying to build something nice I’ll also use a more colourful piece (orange, lime, azure) for a hidden element just to free up my intended colour for the visible exterior.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

xzzy posted:

You can see blue technic pins on the headlights of the F40 and it makes me way more mad than it should.

I bought like 500 black three length pins with friction from a third party for nearly nothing and never looked back. I use them on technic models where it's clear they are visible. I know this sounds like heresy to most, but it's such a clear and easy replacement that even when I sell the sets and provide the seller with the bag of blue genuine Lego pins, it never was a problem (and some were happy they got their hands on black three length friction pins).

Trans-clear three length pins with friction are a bit harder to get....GoBricks has them for the stands of the big SW MoCs.

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 14, 2021

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/brickset/status/1404718104064765952?s=21

There sure are a lot of brickset commenters mad about this new set!

Personally I love models of ordinary things and the shoebox packaging this comes in is super neat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That they wrapped the bricks in paper like an actual shoebox is pretty drat funny to me.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ixnay posted:

https://twitter.com/brickset/status/1404718104064765952?s=21

There sure are a lot of brickset commenters mad about this new set!

Personally I love models of ordinary things and the shoebox packaging this comes in is super neat.

no doubt. That is not a set for me, but LEGO makes plenty of things I do like, and plenty I don't.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I dunno, it's pretty lame looking to me. I'm not really into the real objects at 1:1 scale enough to own any, but I appreciate the details and techniques usually. I'm not gonna buy it personally, but I'd definitely want to get up close and look at the typewriter if I saw it in person. This is shoe shaped enough to be recognisable as a shoe I guess, but that's a low bar to clear.

Whatevs, it's a shoe. If you're not inherently excited by that concept then it's definitely not for you.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ok then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was holding my tongue because I didn't want to come off as a heel, but I think it's soleless and lacy

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
adidas - feels like you're walking on Lego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here