Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

This is a great photo!

We just went for a walk with a friend who also has a black girl like ours. It’s so awesome watching them run together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Greyhounds running together is the best thing ever! I'll try to take some videos of our girls running with deerhounds and greyhounds the next time we walk with them. The deerhounds are amazingly fast over rough terrain.

In other news, Boudicca is looking for a new home due to cruelty and neglect. The couch was full, so she was relegated to the futon on the floor. She didn't take it very well.

https://imgur.com/SL0hRTr

https://imgur.com/Dce9oTa

Also, as an aside, how the heck do I put videos up on SA? I feel very dumb right now.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
A happy hound

(She was actually just hot :ssh:)

Anybody ever had a hound with a broken toe? The vet got back to me and wants to do an x-ray. I have a hard time believing she could walk around normally (or even sit like that) with a broken back toe but what do I know.

Radiation Cow posted:

Also, as an aside, how the heck do I put videos up on SA? I feel very dumb right now.

I’m not sure you can with Imgur. With YouTube it’s the video tag.

Also, with Imgur you can get a direct link to the image but it requires extra steps. On the mobile app you need to tap on the image first, then you can copy the direct link. I don’t know how to do it on a desktop browser offhand; they try to make it as hard as possible.

poor Boudicca :negative:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Boudicca is in serious need of cuddles. You monster. :colbert:

Also the toe might not be broken just dislocated, and if it's been like that for a while it may not want to stay in place because the ligaments have stretched

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

A happy hound

(She was actually just hot :ssh:)

Anybody ever had a hound with a broken toe? The vet got back to me and wants to do an x-ray. I have a hard time believing she could walk around normally (or even sit like that) with a broken back toe but what do I know.

I’m not sure you can with Imgur.

poor Boudicca :negative:

Ah, great, don't feel so dumb now. Guess I'll start putting videos on YouTube.

Don't worry, Boudicca got her couch back eventually, plus some extra cuddles to minimise her distress. She's still amenable to other, less horrible homes that treat her like the queen she is and not some peasant.

DarkHorse posted:

Also the toe might not be broken just dislocated, and if it's been like that for a while it may not want to stay in place because the ligaments have stretched

Yup, I suspect this may be the case too. Also, I think the treatment for a broken toe is to just rest it and leave it to heal?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Had some big thunderstorms roll through in the middle of the night, got woken up by Watson borking. Let him out of his crate and he beelined for the basement, he has a bed in what we affectionately call the "murder room". I guess we got lucky last year that there haven't been any big storms at night.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

NomNomNom posted:

Had some big thunderstorms roll through in the middle of the night, got woken up by Watson borking. Let him out of his crate and he beelined for the basement, he has a bed in what we affectionately call the "murder room". I guess we got lucky last year that there haven't been any big storms at night.

As someone who lives in a country with a near-total absence of basements, please tell me you bought (or had made) some crude, medieval-looking shackles that you have on the bare-brick/-stone walls! :D

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Nope it's just weirdly damp cinder block walls. Kinda smells like mouse. It's under an addition from the 70s and wasn't connected to the central air. It's very weird.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

Nope it's just weirdly damp cinder block walls. Kinda smells like mouse. It's under an addition from the 70s and wasn't connected to the central air. It's very weird.

Our house is from the early 1900s and it has a small, narrow room that we think was the coal bin for the furnace. We too call it the murder room :sun:

Sparty is completely unfazed by thunderstorms and fireworks, he's basically bombproof. Mostly he just wants to be wherever we are, which is annoying when he finally settles down and then you want to go to the bathroom or get a drink and don't know if he'll decide to follow you again

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katedog got dropped off at the vet today for a toe x-ray.

I had originally planned on doing it Thursday since I had stuff to do today, but last night she was clearly in pain - there was some whining, heavy breathing, and restlessness. I actually don’t think that had anything to do with the toe. Normally she’s very vigorous with shaking herself (like all greyhounds seem to be) but yesterday she seemed really hesitant. I went downstairs in the middle of the night to get a greyhound book and she was standing at the top of the stairs waiting for me. When I stroked her a little on her side she gave me a quick growl like that was clearly not OK. She also gave a yelp when I tried touching her sides earlier in the day, so I don’t know what that’s about. She seemed a bit warmer than normal too but that might just be my imagination.

I feel like a pretty lousy pet owner right now. I didn’t realize the toe was still swollen until this weekend since she was walking on it fine.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

david_a posted:

I feel like a pretty lousy pet owner right now.
this could be the thread title of this and probably every other thread in the forum because it’s 100% relatable to all pet owners

every time you miss something or forget a thing you beat the poo poo out of yourself because maybe you made your pet suffer unnecessarily. But you gotta remember you’re doing your best and Katie’s life is incomparably better than it was before you rescued her.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

this could be the thread title of this and probably every other thread in the forum because it’s 100% relatable to all pet owners

every time you miss something or forget a thing you beat the poo poo out of yourself because maybe you made your pet suffer unnecessarily. But you gotta remember you’re doing your best and Katie’s life is incomparably better than it was before you rescued her.

You guys are getting a premium Noob Greyhound Owner 101 experience here. There should really be a bingo card for this; I would have probably won already :kiddo:

The x-ray showed no bone damage and the vet couldn’t find anything else that hurt, so Katie got prescribed 8 weeks of no running or jumping. Most likely a damaged ligament and/or tendon according to him. No real reaction from her when he prodded the toe or other body parts. No pain medication because it should sting a little so she doesn’t make it worse.

Sometimes having these stoic animals can be a curse. Donkeys are also notoriously hard to diagnose because they won’t show you they’re hurt (unlike horses they are not flight animals). We had one that died because she hid her illness until it was too late :(

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Glad to hear she's okay! But don't beat yourself up about it, you'll quickly start picking up when something's wrong. And I'm sure all of us have had an experience where we're like, 'Man, I should have picked this up earlier!'

Gello once had a compression sore from a bandage that was too tight, and we only noticed when we took her to the vet to take the bandage off. It was horrible, with holes and raw flesh and all sorts of poo poo, and she didn't give any indication that anything was wrong - no limping, no whining, nothing. She usually leaves bandages alone, and the vet had assumed she'd rip it off sooner. Let me tell you how guilty I felt that day!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
and yet we somehow take this burden on ourselves voluntarily…

Also I didn’t realize Gello was a female name so I looked it up:

quote:

Gello (Greek: Γελλώ), in Greek mythology, is a female demon or revenant who threatens the reproductive cycle by causing infertility, miscarriage, and infant mortality.
:eyepop:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby's gait has gotten worse I think, though it's been very hot so that might be a factor. Her back left leg seems to bow out a bit when walking. But she is hanging in there, and is still enjoying going out, seeing people, and eating.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

You guys are getting a premium Noob Greyhound Owner 101 experience here. There should really be a bingo card for this; I would have probably won already :kiddo:

Man, I’m right up in here with you bud. Look at all my dumb ‘first dog’ questions I’ve been asking. :eng99:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Red_Fred posted:

Man, I’m right up in here with you bud. Look at all my dumb ‘first dog’ questions I’ve been asking. :eng99:

In your defense greyhounds are exceptionally dumb in unusual ways. My doofuses have been refusing food which is really weird for them, but the vet didn't see anything during their check. They drew blood and we brought a stool sample though so hopefully if something actually is wrong that will pick it up

actionjackson posted:

Abby's gait has gotten worse I think, though it's been very hot so that might be a factor. Her back left leg seems to bow out a bit when walking. But she is hanging in there, and is still enjoying going out, seeing people, and eating.

Yay Abby :unsmith:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

and yet we somehow take this burden on ourselves voluntarily…

Also I didn’t realize Gello was a female name so I looked it up:

:eyepop:

Congrats on being the first person to pick up on it! :toot: I think everyone just assumes it's a misspelling of Jello.

actionjackson posted:

Abby is a tough ol' girl. If we were anywhere nearby, we'd totally visit so that she could see new people, and eat new treats.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Today is :burger: Tennyson's 7th Birthday :burger:

A few more pics, including some gifs, here: https://imgur.com/a/Cco9ujB

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmao always the same face

happy birthday!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Genovera posted:

Today is :burger: Tennyson's 7th Birthday :burger:

A few more pics, including some gifs, here: https://imgur.com/a/Cco9ujB

This is great!

Semi-related: I feel I’m always paranoid about what dogs can and can’t eat. Looks like hamburgers are all good?

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Red_Fred posted:

This is great!

Semi-related: I feel I’m always paranoid about what dogs can and can’t eat. Looks like hamburgers are all good?

Yeah they can have a plain cheeseburger every once in a while like for birthdays. They shouldn't have onions though. Other things that come to mind is no garlic and no grapes.

If I drop something while I'm cooking (like a piece of raw carrot or such) I set it aside and give it to them later, so if it's something I'm not sure about I just look it up first. Tennyson always gets the veggies because Mac doesn't like them!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Happy birthday, Tennyson! :toot: :burger:

Genovera posted:

Tennyson always gets the veggies because Mac doesn't like them!

Hah, same thing in my household! :D Tazo spits out veggies (especially lettuce), but Opal is more than happy to scoff it down.
(...I guess it's kinda bad in a way, since if I offered her a dried-up leaf she'd probably hoover it up before even realising that it's not food! She's just eternally desperate for food)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Happy Birthday, Tennyson!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Tennyson :burger: :toot: :cheerdoge:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
It's bald tummy season again

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ok two more noob-dog-man questions:

1. Our girl has started freezing heaps on walks in the last two months. Way more since the attack, which makes sense. Is there anything we can do to help this though? Sometimes we can confuse her by crossing the road or gently tugging her along but it’s getting way worse. She doesn’t seem to freeze if we drive her to somewhere to walk but that’s not an every day solution.

2. How much grass eating is too much? Is grass eating a problem? Again, our girl seems to eat a bit on every walk now.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

1. Our girl has started freezing heaps on walks in the last two months. Way more since the attack, which makes sense. Is there anything we can do to help this though? Sometimes we can confuse her by crossing the road or gently tugging her along but it’s getting way worse. She doesn’t seem to freeze if we drive her to somewhere to walk but that’s not an every day solution.

Ah, this sucks. Opal did it a lot too, due to being spooked a few times by super-loud trucks and the like, along certain roads. Have you tried letting her dictate where to go? She might be freezing due to proximity to a specific location/road, maybe? i.e. an area linked to the attack, perhaps.
Since for example, I found with Opal that she liked a specific route through some backstreets, before returning home. Since then she's improved and is now happy to walk almost anywhere.

Additionally, I found that she (and hopefully your pup) has FOMO. So my partner would walk Opal and then Taz and I would pull ahead and slowly walking away, beckoning for her to come. A lot of the time she'd mull it over for a few seconds, then follow. And seeing as she has a slightly long lead that I wrap around my hand, if I was walking her alone (and without Taz) I would unfurl the lead and walk past her, which makes her think I'm leaving without her - which would also cause her to follow, most of the time.

Either way, I hope you're able to make it work! It took Opal around six months or so I think, before she became comfortable walking anywhere, but hopefully it's not nearly that long for you. (Opal's pretty stubborn in general, so I wouldn't be surprised if you'll be faster)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Are there other dogs in the neighbourhood you can walk with, even for just a couple of days? Dogs are great at picking up cues from other dogs, and if the other dogs are okay with the area, then she should warm up to it too.

Otherwise, are there certain places where she consistently freezes? Maybe carry her through that for a couple of steps and see if she'll walk afterwards? Sometimes just breaking that freak-out loop is enough to get them walking again.

It is a tricky one, we struggled with Gello for a good long while before she stopped freezing. And even now, if she's alone and in a 'poisoned' place where she's been chased or scared, she'll still sometimes need a lot of coaxing to start walking.

quote:

2. How much grass eating is too much? Is grass eating a problem? Again, our girl seems to eat a bit on every walk now.

Speak to your vet, but from experience it's not an issue. Boudicca and Gello both scarf grass like horses, especially in the spring when its new growth. Apparently new grass is sweet and delicious. It may be indicative of an upset tummy, but a couple of nibbles on every walk shouldn't hurt.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I didn't know so many greyhounds tended to freeze on walks! :monocle: Sparty is just so bomb-proof I forget not all hounds are that confident. He'll happily go anywhere with us without coaxing, and only rarely will he express a preference for a direction. "Just happy to be a part of this!" :v:

Radiation Cow posted:

Speak to your vet, but from experience it's not an issue. Boudicca and Gello both scarf grass like horses, especially in the spring when its new growth. Apparently new grass is sweet and delicious. It may be indicative of an upset tummy, but a couple of nibbles on every walk shouldn't hurt.

Yeah it's a measure of scale. Sometimes dogs eat it to induce a barf, sometimes it's just because it's tasty. :shrug:

I just try to keep an eye on it and make sure it's not the former. The only other thing to consider is that especially long pieces seem more likely to be irritating.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m not a fan of extender leads in general, but I like them for the specific use case of getting a bit ahead of your dog when they freeze, so they’ll want to catch up. Obviously you have to pick your moments, not beside a busy road, only use with a harness in case they bolt, etc

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I didn't know so many greyhounds tended to freeze on walks! :monocle: Sparty is just so bomb-proof I forget not all hounds are that confident. He'll happily go anywhere with us without coaxing, and only rarely will he express a preference for a direction. "Just happy to be a part of this!" :v:

Oh, Boudicca is very much bombproof as well. The only thing she refuses to do is walk on grass during the winter, which is probably due to her arthritis in her foots.

Gello, on the other hand, was a nervous mess when we got her. I guess getting bred for hunting, confiscated as a puppy, held at the SPCA for six months, getting adopted to a woman who thought Caesar Milan had good ideas, and then almost getting put down will do that to a dog. One behaviourist told me straight that she probably would have grown up to a normal confident dog, if people hadn't hosed her up. We've done the best we can, but she'll always be sltightly distrustful or outright fearful in new sitautions.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh that poor baby :( I'm so glad you were able to save her from all that

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I am too! There is something heartwarming about knowing you've earned your dog's trust.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie has gone through three walking phases in the five months I’ve had her:
1) lots of freezing. Walks would take 90+ minutes every time, most of the time she wasn’t moving. Either wait them out or (probably bad) bribe them with food like I did for a while.
2) lots of walking. Walks would take 90+ minutes every time because she wanted to go everywhere.
3) eh, depends on the weather and her mood. Walks are between 5 - 70 minutes. Most times she’ll do one longer walk per day; rarely if ever does she do two. This coincided with the weather getting hot and started when she got sick, which was also when I stopped giving her the food to make her walk.

Katie also loves grass; it seems to be a common greyhound quirk. As long as she’s not throwing up it’s probably fine. You should be able to tell based on what comes out of her if she’s eating too much :)

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Hey not sure if this is the right place to post this so apologies if it isn't. I'm buying a house in the next ~6 months and one of the first things on my list is getting a dog. I've always loved sighthounds and I read about galgos, which naturally broke my heart and intrigued me since I lived in Spain for several years. I think a galgo rescue is the right option for me but I wanted to ask some more questions about them.

- I live in New England, so worried about colder climates in the winter. Is this something that can be managed by getting them the right clothing?
-My lifestyle is mainly at home. I work from home 3-5 days a week, and all the houses I'm looking at have small yards. In terms of time for exercise, I can definitely do twice daily walks in an mixed urban (nearby playgrounds/dog parks) environment, with the possibility of lunchtime walks. Is this on track for their energy levels?
-My house is two adults, no kids/other pets though kids may come in the (near?) future. Are galgos/sighthounds good breeds for kids?
-Does anyone know or recommend a galgo rescue? I've read about Galgos Del Sol and they seem on the up and up.

Again, apologies if this is the wrong place. Your dogs are all very cute!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

coats aren’t a problem - there are even brands that do coats specifically for the hosed up proportions of a sighthound

in terms of exercise, sighthounds are a total mixed bag. the stereotype of them being lazy assholes who like to run for 10 minutes and sleep for 23 hours is true in some cases and yet lots of owners find their greyhound is pretty active throughout the day. but most dogs of any breed (apart from super smart working dogs) are pretty happy with 1 big walk and a couple of shorter ones in a day.

sighthounds can be kinda bouncy and zoomy and they’re also clumsy as gently caress, so tbh i don’t think they’re amazing if you have really small kids. very much a case by case basis, because a super chilled out long dog would be excellent for kids of any age

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like the freezing thing will just take time which is ok.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Apparently the novelty of going to daycare has worn off for Katie. She didn’t want to get out of the car this morning. I got her inside and she just kept looking back at me. Those sad big brown eyes were weighing heavily on my back as I left. When I picked her up this afternoon, they said they had to carry her out of the lobby :cripes:

But… as soon as she gets into the play area she’s happy. All the staff love her. Half the time she just follows the people around in the play area (other dogs can’t pet her :tapshead:)

Greyhounds!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Sounds like she is starting to get attached to you!