Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

May have to lower the difficulty to normal in order to beat this game in time for SMTV

Normal is totally fine, perfect for a first time run. I was more talking about the busted easy mode this version has

Agreed with basically everything. There are rough edges here that were not smoothed over that would have improved quality of life 10 fold. It seems odd they would include picking your skills but not anything else that would modernize the game. It's a game from 2003 and it definitely feels like it for better or worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Nocturne is fine on normal for me. I've beaten it multiple times on normal and I've always found the balance to be perfect. Every encounter is something you must plan for and you cannot just mindlessly auto-battle every fight (at least not until you're very high level for an area). Getting owned is part of the experience and losing progress is simply part of the experience. It's cringe to say now but its very soulslike in that regard. You eventually get to a point where you lose less and know when to run away from a fight if needed.

This is just my first playthrough on hard.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like losing a bunch of progress when you die because it adds a lot of tension to every battle, but the only time it just feels unfair is when an enemy attacks from behind and a group decides to kill the Demifiend and you game over. just feels extremely unlucky and something you pretty much cannot prepare for in any meaningful way.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is Matador when the difficulty ramps up? I’m still pretty early, just got to Ginza and am wandering around the overworld nearby looking for demons to fuse and I haven’t found it too bad so far. Compared to SMT 4 where it just starts caving your poo poo in instantly in the tutorial area

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Is Matador when the difficulty ramps up? I’m still pretty early, just got to Ginza and am wandering around the overworld nearby looking for demons to fuse and I haven’t found it too bad so far. Compared to SMT 4 where it just starts caving your poo poo in instantly in the tutorial area

yes, matador is the first real trial. godspeed

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lol yeah now that you mention it, SMT4 probably has the roughest start. The amount of times I ran back to the barracks to heal.. good lord. But once you get a foothold it's pretty smooth sailing, especially considering you can save anywhere.

Nocturne is a slower burn, more marathon-like with save points sometimes being an hour+ away, with boss fights in between. You never feel completely safe, which is awesome imo.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I like losing a bunch of progress when you die because it adds a lot of tension to every battle, but the only time it just feels unfair is when an enemy attacks from behind and a group decides to kill the Demifiend and you game over. just feels extremely unlucky and something you pretty much cannot prepare for in any meaningful way.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the charon/dagda revival so I usually just save at heal points in those 2 games. probably because I played nocturne first and the save points are so sparse lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Never got a chance to play the original nocturne, but the SMTV trailer got me hype, so I’m finally buying this on switch. Here we go

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

how are smt4 and 4a? those are the only ones i never played because i didnt have a 3ds

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
When I can I always equip my MC with an accessory that negates one shot kills if possible, even if I have better items because getting jumped on and one shot killed is the worst feeling in the world but in nocturne... no dice

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah matador and parts beyond are rough as hell

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

how are smt4 and 4a? those are the only ones i never played because i didnt have a 3ds

They're some of the best games of the last 10 years so def play them if you can. SMTV overworld seems based off of them as well

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

smt4 has great gameplay and writing, 4a has even better gameplay but worse writing and should be played second anyway

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

SMT4 has a real hosed up difficulty curve where the Minotaur is probably the hardest fight in the game but then you quickly outpace encounters in power especially with gun builds. So by the end you're just exploding everything. Apocalypse did a better job of it starting out easy and then getting harder as you go on. I still like SMT4 a lot, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love SMT4A so much even if the story isn't as cool as SMT4.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

I love SMT4A so much even if the story isn't as cool as SMT4.

the gameplay is so so so good. and i'm glad the last boss is yhwh, i missed that in 4

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Fungah! posted:

the gameplay is so so so good. and i'm glad the last boss is yhwh, i missed that in 4

That last boss was such a sick challenge.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

They're some of the best games of the last 10 years so def play them if you can. SMTV overworld seems based off of them as well

roger that, i'll see what i can do about getting a 3ds. i love smt

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

roger that, i'll see what i can do about getting a 3ds. i love smt

wal mart was selling them for 40 bucks yesterday but it might be a scam

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I can't wait for November, V looks so drat cool. I think I'm gonna finally finish my Apocalypse run of Apocalypse, I stopped on floor 3 out of 4 of the final dungeon because other games came out

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Jumping back in to this game while watching Mario Golf treehouse. Making Daisoujou with the Amala’s Network broker Nue is the best decision I’ve made so far.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
SMTV footage coming up next on Treehouse.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
It looks sick

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The final boss of SMT4A is one of the hardest video game challenges I've ever overcome, it absolutely rules.

SMTV looks amazing, I can't wait.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fuckin. Did all that Amala poo poo again and finally backtracked out to heal and save and when I left the Asakusa save room to heal a fiend that wasn't there before appeared. Good poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I saved like 80% through out of being nervous so it's really not a big loss but drat. This world is so corrupt

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Beckon Call ability from Baphomet gives me a permanent party member?!

That's free fusion fodder!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

Fuckin. Did all that Amala poo poo again and finally backtracked out to heal and save and when I left the Asakusa save room to heal a fiend that wasn't there before appeared. Good poo poo.

lol white rider claims another

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lucky crit from the third Oni ends my playing tonight. I was doing great until he double buffed his magic and cast tornado

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I can't wait for November, V looks so drat cool. I think I'm gonna finally finish my Apocalypse run of Apocalypse, I stopped on floor 3 out of 4 of the final dungeon because other games came out

the Apocalypse final dungeon is possibly one of the most insane things I've ever seen in a game. In a good way I think?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
i loving love killing god

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

JP SMTV trailer where you can actually hear the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PgRBcRi5NY

alr
May 14, 2009
Going through Nocturne as my first SMT, just met with Gozu Tennoh. I can see why Matador is a hurdle for people, I died twice then went and focused on using fusion a bit and making a party without anything weak to force since that was getting me killed. Planned on just surviving, using buffs and consumables and riding it out to see if there was anything I was missing and wound up killing him. Good poo poo. Died again in the Amala labyrinth because I got arrogant with a group battle and a Nekomata landed a charm. Hyped as hell for SMT 5.

This bit in the JP trailer shows off the new fusion animation and Angel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Xk3kBhZ2g&t=4713s

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just beat Raidou in the third Kalpa. Fighting him instead of Dante is a fun little difference.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What's a demon with dekaja. I'm real tired of not having that on my team and need to fuse it in somewhere

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Len posted:

What's a demon with dekaja. I'm real tired of not having that on my team and need to fuse it in somewhere

chatterskull gets it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

These horsemen are chasing my rear end down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oh no the white rider trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

These horsemen are chasing my rear end down.

It's so cool lol. I love the concept of the player becoming too powerful and becoming a target for other fiends to chase down