Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

xzzy posted:

That they wrapped the bricks in paper like an actual shoebox is pretty drat funny to me.
Same.

Brawnfire posted:

I was holding my tongue because I didn't want to come off as a heel, but I think it's soleless and lacy

:hmmyes:

Needs a lighting set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I like the designer interview where they say something like, “now that shoelaces are an official Lego part, we are excited to see what people build with them.”

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Not my thing, but I might pick one up to flip to some hypebeast in a couple years when the price inexplicably doubles.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

smackfu posted:

I like the designer interview where they say something like, “now that shoelaces are an official Lego part, we are excited to see what people build with them.”

New Lego Ideas, ten thousand votes ahead of something actually cool

Also, I know a lot of weirdly shoe-obsessed dudes who will probably be super into this.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Lots of people like shoes. The build looks good. Packaging is clever, too. Not for me, but I like it!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Do they come in a size 12??

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
The comments on Brickset are hilarious, also. A few people criticizing the model itself, but massively more people just saying "real shoes are cheaper" or "why didn't they spend this effort on [theme/set I personally prefer]"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Not my cup of tea, but I like they are pushing the envelope.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sloppy posted:

New Lego Ideas, ten thousand votes ahead of something actually cool

Also, I know a lot of weirdly shoe-obsessed dudes who will probably be super into this.

Yeah, sneakerheads are insane. They get bots to buy up stock of any new limited edition shoes as they launch, so your average person doesn’t stand a chance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, sneakerheads are insane. They get bots to buy up stock of any new limited edition shoes as they launch, so your average person doesn’t stand a chance.

So they're the same as lego resellers?

The collision of these two communities will end in a lot of tears.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do people use bots on shop.lego? That seems a bit excessive.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Thou shalt not suffer a scalper to live

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I always figured Lego does these types of sets to try to bring new people to the brand. If you think this won't be popular with sneaker heads, you've got another thing coming. So Lego's usual clientele won't be buying it up, but those sneaker weirdos will. Lego's usual clientele isn't going anywhere, but a few sneaker people may start buying more Lego sets, ya know?

I think it's the same thing with the Friends set, or flowers set, or etc. etc. These sets aren't for me, but if they get Lego some more regular buyers then it seems good for the business.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The sneaker set is the most ingenious set Lego's ever produced. I couldn't care less, but it's a shot across the bow of all OCD AFOLs.

"C'mon...buy two. You just *know* that a ~single shoe~ sitting on your display shelf is gonna bug the everloving gently caress out of you. Shoes come in twos! Everyone knows that. Now get out your credit card and do what we both know is inevitable."

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The sneaker set is the most ingenious set Lego's ever produced. I couldn't care less, but it's a shot across the bow of all OCD AFOLs.

"C'mon...buy two. You just *know* that a ~single shoe~ sitting on your display shelf is gonna bug the everloving gently caress out of you. Shoes come in twos! Everyone knows that. Now get out your credit card and do what we both know is inevitable."

Oh poo poo, I just assumed it was a pair for some reason. Brutal and brilliant. And they'd have to build the second as a mirror of the instructions - sadistic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Especially since "The seventh bag provides elements to construct the mirrored shoe and instructions will be available on LEGO.com shortly."

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Sloppy posted:

Oh poo poo, I just assumed it was a pair for some reason. Brutal and brilliant. And they'd have to build the second as a mirror of the instructions - sadistic.
The set does come with a few extra wedge plates - the ones you'd need to build it in mirror. They know exactly what they're doing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The real question is, what additional parts will you need to rebuild your new pair of shoes to be wearable?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Roadie posted:

The real question is, what additional parts will you need to rebuild your new pair of shoes to be wearable?

https://en.brickimedia.org/wiki/Kragle

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arches

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ixnay posted:

https://twitter.com/brickset/status/1404718104064765952?s=21

There sure are a lot of brickset commenters mad about this new set!

Personally I love models of ordinary things and the shoebox packaging this comes in is super neat.

Great, another drop that won't be in my size.

Real talk though: What time should I start refreshing lego.com in order to get a pair, because what am I going to do with just one shoe?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe I'm crazy or something, but while building the Daily Bugle, something seemed off to me - the front modular connection points didn't seem lined up to me, I thought maybe I was being a bad judge, but then I counted the studs, then re-counted, then double-checked I didn't build anything wrong:

Maybe not the best picture(s) but I don't want to have to set it up again. I'm almost certain I didn't build this wrong, its 4 2x2 tiles, then the 1x2, then the 1xwhatever light grey curb.

Easy enough to fix myself, (though, it will cause tiles to not be lined up as nice) but feels odd to see this kind of error? It's like finding a missing piece; i'm so used to it being user error, that I'm still convinced I'm looking at this wrong.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Oxyclean posted:

that I'm still convinced I'm looking at this wrong.

No it's a mistake in the instructions, Jang pointed it out too.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

Maybe I'm crazy or something, but while building the Daily Bugle, something seemed off to me - the front modular connection points didn't seem lined up to me, I thought maybe I was being a bad judge, but then I counted the studs, then re-counted, then double-checked I didn't build anything wrong:

Maybe not the best picture(s) but I don't want to have to set it up again. I'm almost certain I didn't build this wrong, its 4 2x2 tiles, then the 1x2, then the 1xwhatever light grey curb.

Easy enough to fix myself, (though, it will cause tiles to not be lined up as nice) but feels odd to see this kind of error? It's like finding a missing piece; i'm so used to it being user error, that I'm still convinced I'm looking at this wrong.

Only problem I see is that manhole cover sticker. Just the fact that it's cut off-center would drive me loving mad.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I totally hosed up the sticker application but didn't notice till it was too late.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So what do you reckon? Stark Tower/Avengers Tower modular next year? Large scale Sanctum Sanctorum?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Oxyclean posted:

I actually connected it to the CNY garden, as well. Lined up perfectly. I only tried one side, though.

I'm guessing you've made a booboo somewhere.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Waltzing Along posted:

I actually connected it to the CNY garden, as well. Lined up perfectly. I only tried one side, though.

I'm guessing you've made a booboo somewhere.

No it fits on one side and the other is out by 1 stud.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol on LEGO masters

"Legos is not a word"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That reminds me…

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

So what do you reckon? Stark Tower/Avengers Tower modular next year? Large scale Sanctum Sanctorum?

X-Mansion is another option.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Butterfly Valley posted:

No it fits on one side and the other is out by 1 stud.

Oic. The newspaper stand is off. LMAO at lego qc

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Bloop posted:

Lol on LEGO masters

"Legos is not a word"

drat right

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lego can refer to their product however they want, but they really need to stop correcting people for saying Legos lol. It's honestly just sort of annoying like 98% of people say Legos just deal with it.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Lego can refer to their product however they want, but they really need to stop correcting people for saying Legos lol. It's honestly just sort of annoying like 98% of people say Legos just deal with it.

Actually, that is trademark protection, so they have every incentive to do so.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Pardon me while I engage in imagination play with my Lego Brand plastic recreation bricks. Ah, satisfying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OperaMouse posted:

Actually, that is trademark protection, so they have every incentive to do so.

Ah yeah I guess they just don't want anyone confusing them with The Legos Group.

Jk that is nonsense. it's like McDonalds reminding people that call it Mickey D's that it's "actually McDonald's" and they should start saying McDonald's instead. or any of the other thousands of name brands that have nicknames.

Except with Lego it makes even more sense than that to call them Legos, because it's Lego, and you have a bunch of them, so they are legos. Like, why does anyone on earth actually care about this sheesh.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

veni veni veni posted:

one country does it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, the Legos thing is entirely American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Actually it's just your stupid country and the rest of the world manages to get it right.