Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
As someone that tried to use silken tofu on mapo once, I knew there had to be a misunderstanding because there's no loving way any kind of knife work and technique could keep it from becoming soup. Learned that one the hard way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

droll posted:

Chinese cooking demystified said its soft tofu, not silken.

"Soft Tofu (嫩豆腐), 230g. Note the tofu type. The biggest mistake I see people do is use the wrong tofu – if you’re in China, make sure to get this nen doufu (嫩豆腐) and not neizhi doufu (内酯豆腐). The latter is silken tofu, breaks down real easy, and is usually used in desserts"

Are they wrong or are we conflating silken for soft?

Probably a regional thing but I've never seen "嫩豆腐" in stores here. 内酯豆腐 is the super soft one used in desserts but 绢豆腐 is what places call the slightly firm but still sorta soft tofu you'd use in like mapo doufu or soups, and then 老豆腐 is the firmer, bouncier one you'd use in stir fries. Not to be confused with 冻豆腐/千页豆腐 which is usually used in hot pot and also stir fries.

Also I never really thought of it by itself but 绢 in a dictionary translates to "strong silk" which may have lead to it being translated as "silken tofu" in english.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 3, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CCD is in Guangdong, so that could be it.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

horchata posted:

So I bought a metal wok ladle from a restaurant supply store last week. It seems to scratch the hell out of my Joyce Chen wok whenever I use it, is there some sort of trick to this that I'm not getting?

Is this a ladle or a spatula? Most of the spatulas I've seen have a really crappy edge that can scratch the hell out of seasoning. A few minutes with some sandpaper or a file will fix it. Probably the same issue if it's the rim of your ladle scratching the wok.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
It's a ladle, yeah I started sand papering the edges and it seems to have fixed the problem for now

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Silken tofu isn't "extra soft" tofu; it's made with a slightly different process and has no curd:

quote:

the soy milk is coagulated without curdling the milk. It's also left unpressed, so every cake retains all of its moisture while cooling. Because curds never form, the tofu—be it soft, firm, or extra firm—has a smooth and "silky" appearance. More delicate than block tofu, silken tofus likewise require delicate handling, lest they fall apart
https://www.seriouseats.com/shopping-cooking-guide-different-tofu-types

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Chef Wang's uncle is the best.
"When I was younger I could eat this whole chicken. Just eat meat, don't eat rice. That's not a problem, I'll have a beer and get it done."

Also the way he makes his aunt try a particular piece of chicken because it's so good. Love him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GXTCWsWq48

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

One of my close friends from Chengdu was from the same area of Sichuan they're in and they use a lot of the same slang, like when Wang gang replies to Siboye's story "那么凶啊“ it reminds me of them.

Some real good sichuanhua in all these vids

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Uncle is amazing he is most of the reason I watch chef wang

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I like his outdoor kitchen more than the kitchen in any place I've ever lived.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SubG posted:

I like his outdoor kitchen more than the kitchen in any place I've ever lived.

That outdoor kitchen is more expensive than the kitchen in any place I've ever lived. Well, maybe not, but it's pretty awesome. His new kitchen is definitely a nice set up. I do have designs to set up an outdoor cooking space, but I definitely need a roof to keep the rain off it.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Jhet posted:

That outdoor kitchen is more expensive than the kitchen in any place I've ever lived. Well, maybe not, but it's pretty awesome. His new kitchen is definitely a nice set up. I do have designs to set up an outdoor cooking space, but I definitely need a roof to keep the rain off it.

Most of the $ is in the cooker right? Dual burners and a water hookup. The other part of the kitchen is a chopping block on a table. But now that I think about it the roof/terrace would be the ceiling in our homes, but then his outdoor rig doesn't require commercial grade extraction. How much does a roofed terrace cost vs. commercial extraction? Having the land/room to build an outdoor wok burner rig is a massive cost on its own too. tl;dr I need to talk to my land owning brother about an outdoor wok burner with water?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

droll posted:

tl;dr I need to talk to my land owning brother about an outdoor wok burner with water?

Don't worry man, you can just do it at my place. I'll make the sacrifice so your brother doesn't have to.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Jumped all in on the wok fried rice hype train after going down the youtube rabbit hole.

I'm absolutely loving making fried rice dishes that taste amazing.

Question tho. I tried Chinese Sausage for the first time with my fried rice and I knew it was going to be sweet, but it tastes like.. pineapple? It literally tastes like meaty bits of pineapple. It's not bad, but definitely not what I was expecting flavor-wise. I feel it doesn't work well with fried rice, really, but apparently, it's beloved by many. I used Kam Yen Jan brand Lap-Xuong. It's not spoiled as far as I know.

Maybe I should try the spicy version. How spicy is it?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 23, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I use that brand all the time and I wouldn't describe it at pineapple tasting.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Philthy posted:

Jumped all in on the wok fried rice hype train after going down the youtube rabbit hole.

I'm absolutely loving making fried rice dishes that taste amazing.

Question tho. I tried Chinese Sausage for the first time with my fried rice and I knew it was going to be sweet, but it tastes like.. pineapple? It literally tastes like meaty bits of pineapple. It's not bad, but definitely not what I was expecting flavor-wise. I feel it doesn't work well with fried rice, really, but apparently, it's beloved by many. I used Kam Yen Jan brand Lap-Xuong. It's not spoiled as far as I know.

Maybe I should try the spicy version. How spicy is it?

Cantonese lap cheong, which is what I'm assuming lap-xuong is, is all pretty sweet. That's basically how it's supposed to be made. It's also what like 90% of "chinese sausage" labeled things in the west are.

I'm with you on I'm not a huge fan of it in fried rice, tho.

What you want to find is "xiang chang" or heung cheong? or something in romanized cantonese. These tend to be more smokey, spicy, and savory depending on the type.

IDK where you're located but search for 香肠 or 香腸 vs 腊肠 or 臘腸, those are just the simplified and traditional for "xiang chang" (more savory, possibly spicy) and "la chang" (usually sweet or candied) respectively.

Doing that on amazon for the US got me a couple which look OK and you can try instead. https://www.amazon.com/Meizhou-Dong...24511602&sr=8-3

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
I actually prefer the sweet sausage in fried rice myself, we just normally make the rice with that sweetness in mind:
- Slice the sausage thinly
- Use a decent amount of dark soy sauce and egg
- Add a decent amount of pickles, doubanjiang, chili paste/oil or a combo of all of the above
- A decent amount of acid to mellow out everything (if not using acidic pickles or chili paste)

That way the sweetness is just one flavor you get.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I put chorizo in fried rice because I am a monster and also it's good. Fight me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I put chorizo in fried rice because I am a monster and also it's good. Fight me.

Why? That would taste great. I’d just add a little sugar to the sauce maybe and devour it.

I have seen both smokey and spicy varieties of sausage in the US, so they do exist. You’ll need to go search through your local Asian groceries to see if someone carries it though. I’ve only seen lap-xuong in other stores.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

mdxi posted:

Silken tofu isn't "extra soft" tofu; it's made with a slightly different process and has no curd:

https://www.seriouseats.com/shopping-cooking-guide-different-tofu-types

yeah, you can find silken tofu in a variety of firmnesses

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

imo put whatever you want & like to eat in fried rice that is the magic of fried rice.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I made fried rice last night with spaghetti since we ran out of rice, pancetta, egg and parmesan.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

droll posted:

I made fried rice last night with spaghetti since we ran out of rice, pancetta, egg and parmesan.

Carbonara with Chinese characteristics?

I also put asparagus and pancetta in my fried rice sometimes; slaps.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

once i made an omelette and put leftover mapo tofu in the middle cuz I was feeling stupid.

it was real good.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I once made fried rice with wild ramps and salt pork because I had them, and it was predictably delicious.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

lilbeefer posted:

Uncle is amazing he is most of the reason I watch chef wang

His teeth seem to be bugging him but the ending of this one is amazing. Poor Uncle, at least he has a young nephew to cook delicious eggplant and tofu for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHOEqo5Kpuo

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

hey, so i was wondering if this thread can help me with finding the recipe for a something - i really love this white pork that i find in delis, but i have no idea how to make it. googling “white pork” doesn’t help although the closest i’ve ever come to it is braised pork belly, but the version i get is always the foot and leg. my chinese is barely conversational so i just ask for “白豬手” - i also tried googling that but the recipes are all in chinese and i am illiterate.

i regret refusing to pay attention in chinese school now. my parents were right. :negative:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Do you mean bai rou/bai qie rou? 白肉 / 白切肉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wehZf8lQzcM

here's one form of prep but in Sichuan and Guizhou at least there are like 20 ways they eat it.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

it does look similar, but i don’t think that’s it. there’s no garlic chili sauce, they bring out the pig foot and the shinbone or something, and carve it up right there, but it’s in thicker strips. the skin’s got a very bouncy chew with a lot of gelatin, and i don’t know how to describe the taste other than very flavorful - i would say that it’s almost like a pickle? that’s the closest thing i can think of to describe it.

if location helps, i know the chinatown community is mainly made up of folks from hokkien or guangdong.

edit: it turns out the full name might actually be bai yun zhu shou/白雲豬手 although i haven't found recipes that look exactly like how the deli serves it. the closest ones i've found so far are these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0IoBXCNYFM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iflDpyJRQBU

there is a lot of videos on cold pork slices, which are very close and almost exact, but the deli doesn't remove the bones or tie them up like they do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXCUPLBW57Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bBWlV6YaEo

Splash Attack fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 14, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I made some approximation of good fried rice the first time and now I'm basically like gently caress EVERYTHING BUT FRIED RICE

I marinated some chicken thighs in random items I had in the house for an hour and grilled the poo poo out of them so I'd have some meat to throw in. It came out pretty good but I think I can do better, the flavor complimented the rice real well but kind of just lacked punch, I dunno.

IIRC the marinade was just something like:

2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp (?) chili garlic sauce

My first guesses is that it needs a) more time to marinate b) more garlic, this feels like a dumb oversight because I love garlic c) Shaoxing rice wine, which I didn't have on hand at the time and d) maybe a little bit more sweetness from a bit of honey or something?

The fried rice itself I feel pretty good about, I used slightly too much oil but I literally bobbled the bottle and put an extra glug in accidentally so no big deal and it was still delicious.

The rest was just uh cold leftover rice, eggs, garlic, soy sauce, and chopped green onions at the end. And a blob of chili garlic sauce thrown in there at some point.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 28, 2021

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Get yourself some Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce. It’s the flavor that’s missing from fried rice if you don’t use it.

Another brand of seasoning sauce or Maggi will work, but Golden Mountain is the standard IMO.

Also add a 1/2tsp sugar, and a pinch of MSG.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Doom Rooster posted:

Get yourself some Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce. It’s the flavor that’s missing from fried rice if you don’t use it.

Another brand of seasoning sauce or Maggi will work, but Golden Mountain is the standard IMO.

Thanks! I just realized there's a baller Asian market like a mile from my house that has tons of :krad: stuff.

Doom Rooster posted:

Also add a 1/2tsp sugar, and a pinch of MSG.

To the rice, the chicken marinade, or both? :haw:

(I did sprinkle some MSG on the fried rice, forgot to mention that.)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

Thanks! I just realized there's a baller Asian market like a mile from my house that has tons of :krad: stuff.

To the rice, the chicken marinade, or both? :haw:

(I did sprinkle some MSG on the fried rice, forgot to mention that.)

Sprinkle on the rice after you’ve added everything else and just thoroughly toss around. Although with hoisin in there already, go gentle.

I don’t know what your setup is like burner wise, but you want a little bit of charred rice flavor in there. Either purposefully let it sit and scorch a bit on purpose for a few seconds before the final toss, or torch it a little. Unless you’re on an outdoor gas burner, in which case you’re probably already golden.

Enjoy your trip to the store!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I got a new wok and outdoor burner a la Kenji, what is your top “this is why you have a high btu wok” dish?

Also if anyone has specific recipes they like I would live to hear about it ^_^

Taima fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 13, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Taima posted:

I got a new wok and outdoor burner a la Kenji, what is your top “this is why you have a high btu wok” dish?

Also if anyone has specific recipes they like I would live to hear about it ^_^

try this one op:

https://www.xiachufang.com/recipe/105958233/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fried rice is the one that benefits from the jet engine burner more than anything else. Anything's good but fried rice is notably superior when you have a whole lot of fire. Fried noodles too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
La zi ji is one of my favorites - you can really get the chiles toasted now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the usage difference between rice vermicelli and mung bean vermicelli? I discovered the other day that I thought I had been buying rice noodles but have been getting the other kind for some time. Is there a reason to use one over the other?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's the usage difference between rice vermicelli and mung bean vermicelli? I discovered the other day that I thought I had been buying rice noodles but have been getting the other kind for some time. Is there a reason to use one over the other?

Bean thread is clear and more slippery texture, rice is white and firmer I find. Depends on the use but for example Vietnamese cha gio would only ever use bean thread, whereas bun and salad/summer rules use rice vermicelli. They're quite different.

It's like the different between udon and shiratake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Anyone got some suggestions/lists of good simple wok food? I wanna use my wok more and help build up its seasoning and also cook more.