Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

TheMadMilkman posted:

I don’t really care at all about the Mario sets as a whole, but man, that airship is a day 1 purchase.

I thought you might have meant this thing, and got excited. Oh well. The actual set looks ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Had our first Lancer session last Saturday, so we needed to be in Everests as LL0 peasants; Hawkbit is mine and I built the Devilish as a favor to my friend Magistelle:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Leh go

or

Lay go

discuss.

Iago bricks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That reminds me of an English professor shouting "When you're writing your papers, it's Iago, not Lago!"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Roadie posted:

Iago bricks.

just call them Iagos like a regular person you fuckin nerd

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Had the in laws over for the first time in forever, happened to have my ship-in-a-bottle on the counter because I'd been dusting off sets and hadn't put it back in its spot yet.

One of them asks "wow, how did you get the ship in there??" without any hint of irony.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

veni veni veni posted:

Ah yeah I guess they just don't want anyone confusing them with The Legos Group.

Jk that is nonsense. it's like McDonalds reminding people that call it Mickey D's that it's "actually McDonald's" and they should start saying McDonald's instead. or any of the other thousands of name brands that have nicknames.

Except with Lego it makes even more sense than that to call them Legos, because it's Lego, and you have a bunch of them, so they are legos. Like, why does anyone on earth actually care about this sheesh.

In Australia McDonald's is colloquially known as Maccas. McDonald's Australia embraced it and now will frequently use the term 'Maccas' in advertising and on their website - even going so far as to trademark the word, despite it originally being a colloquialism.

What I'm saying is Lego should lean into Legos.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Don't get ideas from Australia!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Don't get ideas from Australia!

Their bricks have the studs on the bottom

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
That reversed tile with studs on the bottom is a pretty useful piece so who can say whether Australia is bad

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Studs on the bottom is the name of my OnlyFans channel.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh hey, I'm JumperStud, I love your channel!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SNOT69 here, 'sup.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm 98989.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
IllegalConnexxxion checking in

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
We should go back to the Legos thread title.

This new one sucks in comparison.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
LEGO: People keep trying to call them "Lego bricks" instead of "Legos" because US trademark law is stupid

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's not just the US trademark law. Most companies try to prevent their copyrighted names to become a general term, because that might mean they can't extend copyright on them.

Lego sent a Cease and Desist (or the step before that) to the biggest german YouTube-Lego-Channel because the owner used the word "Legos" in two or three videos (without really thinking about it) for bricks from other manufacturers, and they demanded that he deletes these videos as people might get the impression the these bricks are made by Lego.

Over here, though, most people (not only old ones, but people who are not aware that there are alternatives to Lego) just call them "Lego" or "Legos". They see my Cobi-Collection? "Oh, nice, Lego, I used to play with that as a kid, didn't know they now make ships". Which is totally fine, because everyone outside the hobby has no idea what happened in the last ten years in regard to copyright and why there are now so many (legal) alternatives on the market.

So I kinda understand why LEGO (the company) absolutely wants to prevent people from calling the bricks themselves Lego or Legos, as it might make things way more difficult in the future for them to fight copyright wars.

It's all company bullshit, of course, but yeah, that's where we are. You can also google that (in your favourite searchmachine) if you want ;)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Building my Legos in Lagos while eating a Langos.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

None of that is correct.
It's just brand identity management and the language not allowing an S there.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Tbh it seems like basic grammar. You wouldn’t go to a beach and say look how many sands there is. ‘Sands’ does exists as a plural but you wouldn’t say that sentence unless you were a crazy person, or worse, trying to “stick it” to... US copyright law? Denmark?

There was a consensus even as children that lego is singular as well as plural and the fact that there are any people of my generation saying legoS at all is kinda disheartening. Where did we go wrong? You can’t blame parents for that.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
gently caress this, I'm gonna go play with my knexs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mega Bloksen

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Tbh it seems like basic grammar. You wouldn’t go to a beach and say look how many sands there is. ‘Sands’ does exists as a plural but you wouldn’t say that sentence unless you were a crazy person, or worse, trying to “stick it” to... US copyright law? Denmark?

There was a consensus even as children that lego is singular as well as plural and the fact that there are any people of my generation saying legoS at all is kinda disheartening. Where did we go wrong? You can’t blame parents for that.

Sand isn't really the same, since it already refers to an aggregate of gains. If you had a single grain of sand you wouldn't call it sand.
Is a singular brick a Lego? If you accept that it is, then Legos is fine and who cares?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

who cares?

no one healthy actually cares

Some people have to act like they care for Legal Reasons perhaps

to others it is a lark

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I always used to call them “legos” plural as a kid. Still do, but I used to too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The length people will go to try to make it seem like it makes no sense to say "Legos" is astounding.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
ANYWAY

So they just dropped the new Speed Champs outta nowhere huh?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Legoes.

:hai:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is the most hypnotic great ball contraption I've seen in a while. It just keeps getting bigger and more fun to watch (and more wobbly, it looks like it's always on the verge of collapsing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3M6CP-BB8

I was unaware lego was making curved liftarms too, that's pretty neat.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Cojawfee posted:

The length people will go to try to make it seem like it makes no sense to say "Legos" is astounding.

It's not about whether it makes sense or not, it's whether it's correct. Do the same people who say Legos say sheeps and furnitures and deers and baggages and advices and informations? Probably not, so they are able to understand the concept of words where the singular and plural are the same. Like I said before if you just say Legos because it's what you said as a kid and everyone else said around you then that's fine, no need to try to justify whether it's correct because it's very evidently not.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

ANYWAY

So they just dropped the new Speed Champs outta nowhere huh?

There are other new ones, or do you mean the wave with the Supra?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

L'goes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dogen posted:

I don't know when they came out, but they have the bronco and GT, the corvettes, and the other ones from the new wave.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dogen posted:

Yeah the wave with the Supra.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Legoi

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s going to be a sick GWP for the Adidas shoe.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

xzzy posted:

This is the most hypnotic great ball contraption I've seen in a while. It just keeps getting bigger and more fun to watch (and more wobbly, it looks like it's always on the verge of collapsing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3M6CP-BB8

I was unaware lego was making curved liftarms too, that's pretty neat.

The ball bearing that allows the mechanism to rotate has to be an illegal connection, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, let me dial up the lego police and report it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

I don't know, let me dial up the lego police and report it.

They'll cart you away you psycho!