Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

We have wet underfloor heating under LVT (Karndean) - for me the advantages over ceramic/porcelain tile is impact resistance and warm touch even when the heating is off, rather cold tiles. Also we have children and a fall onto LVT is a little softer than ceramic.

Tile can be used with higher temperature UFH, which means you can heat the room faster if you need to - however if your room is well insulated or small this doesn't really matter too much.

LVT is expensive, and your substrate has to be very good, so installation cost is similar to tile. Personally I would go LVT over tile in nearly all residential areas except for a porch or bootroom type of area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We have tile in the kitchen and like it, messes are easy to clean up. The only downside is since it’s such a high traffic/high dirt area (in from the garage too) the grout gets dirty fast. Get a dark color if you go that route.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is good news. I checked this week for 2 x 12's treated wood and it was $75 / piece.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Last inspection today, and closing 4 days afterwards. idea of home ownership has me feeling like I'm stepping into an open grave.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

papa horny michael posted:

Last inspection today, and closing 4 days afterwards. idea of home ownership has me feeling like I'm stepping into an open grave.

Home ownership is awesome even when there's work to do. Enjoy it!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

One of us. One of us. One of us.

*a tree root audibly pierces a water line as it breaks the surface and wraps around your ankle*

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Home ownership is awesome even when there's work to do. Enjoy it!

There's always work to do.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

And as a bonus, you manage to hit your chin on the other side on your way down!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I ordered a new vanity wall light but after installing it I realized that having something that doesn't shoot out light up and down (so it lights up the wall behind it) somewhat really sucks. I suppose I could return it and claim I never tried connecting it :p

Buying any sort of lighting you have to actually install sucks for the same reason. You usually can't see what it would look like in your home first.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I ordered a new vanity wall light but after installing it I realized that having something that doesn't shoot out light up and down (so it lights up the wall behind it) somewhat really sucks. I suppose I could return it and claim I never tried connecting it :p

Buying any sort of lighting you have to actually install sucks for the same reason. You usually can't see what it would look like in your home first.

Menards mounts them in a big example area.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

downout posted:

Menards mounts them in a big example area.

the problem is that the whole place is bright, so you have no idea how it will look when it's the only light source

we have a pretty good lighting store that has hundreds of lights on display, which is great except that's only about 1% of their total catalog

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

emocrat posted:

Nice to use less petroleum products also.

Not trying to have a go, but by using electric heat you're burning 2-3 units of coal to get 1 unit of heat in your pan.
If your grid is majority nuke then great.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah nuclear power and IH cooking

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

~Coxy posted:

Not trying to have a go, but by using electric heat you're burning 2-3 units of coal to get 1 unit of heat in your pan.

Assuming US, poo poo-tons of coal plans converted over to natural gas in the 90s. OP is most likely NG, nuclear, or renewable.

Also I have no idea what the conversion there is with regard to emissions/efficiency/etc. Just saying that it's unlikely OP is on coal.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

DaveSauce posted:

Assuming US, poo poo-tons of coal plans converted over to natural gas in the 90s. OP is most likely NG, nuclear, or renewable.

Also I have no idea what the conversion there is with regard to emissions/efficiency/etc. Just saying that it's unlikely OP is on coal.

Conversions didn’t really happen until the 2010s; Still 20% on coal https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3 ; regionally can be much higher.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Conversions didn’t really happen until the 2010s; Still 20% on coal https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3 ; regionally can be much higher.

Really? I thought it was sooner. I remember it being big news in the 90s when the plant near where I grew up did it.

But in any case, the point still stands: coal is on the decline in the US and generally isn't a factor when choosing household fuels.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

DaveSauce posted:

Really? I thought it was sooner. I remember it being big news in the 90s when the plant near where I grew up did it.

But in any case, the point still stands: coal is on the decline in the US and generally isn't a factor when choosing household fuels.

Still the largest source of electrical power in several states:

https://www.nei.org/resources/statistics/state-electricity-generation-fuel-shares

It’s not as dead as it should be, unfortunately.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The cool thing is whenever they decom old nasty plants every single person using electricity benefits, vs distributed causes like nat gas furnaces and internal combustion cars.

(I checked the box to be 100% green power for my electricity, making my AC unit greener than my furnace/stove/hot water heater right? That's how it works? Keeping my house at 73f is practically saving the environment.)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Power plant emissions are also usually cleaner (non co2) than small residential sources (especially when poorly maintained.)

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

The cool thing is whenever they decom old nasty plants every single person using electricity benefits, vs distributed causes like nat gas furnaces and internal combustion cars.

And not using it for homes it avoids all the methane leaks from aging and poorly maintained residential natural gas infrastructure. Methane is 25x worse than CO2 for climate change, and the amount leaked is staggering.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It's wins all the way down.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Time to smoke a doobie and do yard work

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Still the largest source of electrical power in several states:

https://www.nei.org/resources/statistics/state-electricity-generation-fuel-shares

It’s not as dead as it should be, unfortunately.

I get that, but it's 20% of the nation's supply per your post.

The only point I'm trying to make is that assuming any given person's electricity comes from coal, as posted here:

~Coxy posted:

is unlikely without knowing exactly where they get their power from.

Frankly per your source, there's a higher chance that using electric appliances means the heat comes from 100% renewable sources.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

H110Hawk posted:

It's this 100%. A gas appliance will only ever burn gas. An electric appliance is as clean as the grid which is in constant flux. But generally, over time and over the the life of the appliance it will contousuly move towards cleaner fuel.
Also maybe I have solar ><

(I don't. But I wish I did. But I also like my trees).

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

$275 power bill today, solar install Tuesday. Hopefully have a full month to month comparison by the end of August so I can see how bad it really it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

DaveSauce posted:

The only point I'm trying to make is that assuming any given person's electricity comes from coal ... is unlikely without knowing exactly where they get their power from.

Doesn't matter if it's not coal, chances are you're burning something to generate electricity to restively heat.
This is less efficient that just burning the thing to get the heat.

emocrat posted:

Also maybe I have solar ><

Broadly speaking PV won't be generating during times when you want to run your stove.

----

To reiterate, I'm not trying to be Mr. Cool Contrarian guy. I'm not somehow anti-electric.
I'm just trying to point out that induction isn't some wonder, and gas heat isn't some demon.
If you prefer an induction stove, then that's great.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Nearing the end of my lounge rebuild, have run wires for speakers and TV and built the built in bespoke cabinets for the AV equipment. Just remembered that I have a sub. Clear forgot about it, I haven't worked out where it will go in the room or run wire. Oops

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Shouldn’t be too hard to place one. A fiberglass push rod will get it underneath the carpet for any door gaps, etc.

You can tuck it under the baseboards the rest of the way, assuming you have carpet. I did get slim cable to help with there not being a lump under the carpet so much, you can’t even really tell when you walk on it.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 20, 2021

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

We have a 3 foot Crawlspace under there which I need to go into to sort the new radiator pipes, but it is still a how the hell did o forget about that moment.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I did the same thing laying out everything in my living room after moving. Luckily I had managed to leave a perfect spot right next to a bookshelf.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Whoever did my kitchen was a moron. The spot for the fridge is counter-depth, but not quite big enough for a 36" inch. When you measure to the edge of the counter (or the molding at the bottom) it's like 35.5". And of course all the appliances are black. So all I can actually fit are a couple models of 33" wide and counter depth. There's literally 2 or 3 options of these tiny 17-18cu fridges, and they're all out of stock for months at home depot or lowes.

Our fridge has been making an odd noise - almost sounds like a mechanical grinding or for lack of a better term, a liquid boiling or getting squeezed through something... which is of course what's happening in a fridge. It still seems to be running/cooling fine for now, but if it died there's literally nothing I could replace it with. I guess buy a mini fridge and then have just that and the chest freezer in the basement for... some indeterminate amount of time.

The little coffee 'nook' shelf next to the fridge might possibly be movable though it's nailed to the wall and floor. But if I could pull them without destroying everything I could move it over possibly...

EDIT: Also of course my wife is desperate for an ice maker (we had the water line put in while replacing the water heater), and I just looked at the title of the thread which lines up with most of the reviews of fridges.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 20, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Whoever did my kitchen was a moron. The spot for the fridge is counter-depth, but not quite big enough for a 36" inch. When you measure to the edge of the counter (or the molding at the bottom) it's like 35.5". And of course all the appliances are black. So all I can actually fit are a couple models of 33" wide and counter depth. There's literally 2 or 3 options of these tiny 17-18cu fridges, and they're all out of stock for months at home depot or lowes.

Our fridge has been making an odd noise - almost sounds like a mechanical grinding or for lack of a better term, a liquid boiling or getting squeezed through something... which is of course what's happening in a fridge. It still seems to be running/cooling fine for now, but if it died there's literally nothing I could replace it with. I guess buy a mini fridge and then have just that and the chest freezer in the basement for... some indeterminate amount of time.

The little coffee 'nook' shelf next to the fridge might possibly be movable though it's nailed to the wall and floor. But if I could pull them without destroying everything I could move it over possibly...

EDIT: Also of course my wife is desperate for an ice maker (we had the water line put in while replacing the water heater), and I just looked at the title of the thread which lines up with most of the reviews of fridges.

Our old Bosch makes a noise occasionally I can only describe as a tiny wounded rhino, it doesn't worry me because it's done it for like 15 years now.

If you're desperate would you consider painting or vinyl wrapping an otherwise ideal appliance?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Looking for any and all advice about window replacement. current windows are original to the home which was built in 72 and is brick clad exterior.

I have 9 original windows, 7 normal ones and 2 that are large sized living room ones.

What material should I be trying to get? Argon filled? Something else? Any notion of cost expectations? Goals are to get better efficiency, easier to use/clean and clear panes instead of the style I have now where a window is made up of 16 separate pieces.

I'm just starting to research and I'm looking for any advice to build a baseline of information so I can evaluate qoutes and options.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Our old Bosch makes a noise occasionally I can only describe as a tiny wounded rhino, it doesn't worry me because it's done it for like 15 years now.

If you're desperate would you consider painting or vinyl wrapping an otherwise ideal appliance?

Well this noise is new for us, we've been here about 3 years. It doesn't make it all the time so I'm guessing it's something to do with the defrost which has probably been running more due to the humidity.

As for the color, I would probably just live with stainless steel and nothing matching or something. The other appliances are black gloss paint, not black stainless. So it's probably not going to match perfectly anyway. Eventually I have thought about an induction stove (getting the gas and a proper vent hood run would be a lot, and I'm not planning on staying in this house more than a couple more years) and going stainless would give us more options.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

emocrat posted:

Looking for any and all advice about window replacement. current windows are original to the home which was built in 72 and is brick clad exterior.

I have 9 original windows, 7 normal ones and 2 that are large sized living room ones.

What material should I be trying to get? Argon filled? Something else? Any notion of cost expectations? Goals are to get better efficiency, easier to use/clean and clear panes instead of the style I have now where a window is made up of 16 separate pieces.

I'm just starting to research and I'm looking for any advice to build a baseline of information so I can evaluate qoutes and options.

Get a quote from Window World and that will be the lowest possible price.

If you want a similar look they or anyone can add a grid on the inside even though it's just two (or 3) panes.

You won't make your money back on efficiency savings.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Mice came back, so we checked all the heater pipes to make sure they aren’t coming through those holes. One of them had a bunch of nesting materials in it. One of them was like this.

It wasn’t wet but we also haven’t been using the heater in a month. Put a paper towel down to see if it gets damp and is an active leak which would just be so loving cool.

Anyway there’s a bunch of mice poo poo inside my vanity with my makeup. Placed all the traps out again. I feel perpetually dirty.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our fridge has an internal icemaker that requires manual refilling. Easy, no leaks, on-demand refills…
It stopped working after we moved to our new house :/

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

emocrat posted:

There are a lot of factors that will vary with your location - climate, aspect, conservation issues, noise, security - and the material of your home at the moment.

If your house is already very well insulated or you have sound issues consider triple glazing.

Argon filled is better, but it is hard to put an exact price on it as where I am it is pretty much standard. Perhaps haggle and get it thrown in?

If you have any windows that get large amounts of sunlight consider solar control / low-emissivity / IR rejection coatings (different name for similar function), which essentially reduce the amount of IR passing through the window while not significantly reducing transmission.

If you have sound issues or security issues you can get laminated glass which is more intruder resistant.

For frames depending on you are aluminium, UPVC or wood may be the standard. Just make sure that if you get metal frames that they are thermally broken, otherwise you will lose more heat through the frame than you save by the new glazing, and more importantly you create a cold spot that attracts condensation and then damp and mould around the frame.

some links:
https://www.guardianglass.com/us/en/products/glass-type/low-e-glass
https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/products/product-categories/thermal-insulation
https://www.vitro.com/en/architectural-glass/#residential-glass

Whoever you get to install the glass it will likely be made by one of these companies, but they all have roughly comparable products in most categories.

falz posted:

If you want a similar look they or anyone can add a grid on the inside even though it's just two (or 3) panes.

This will definitely improve how easy it is to clean, and is pretty standard. Don't get self-cleaning glass unless the window is not accessible for normal cleaning AND is exposed to direct sunlight AND it is exposed to rain (preferably a roof window) otherwise the self-cleaning won't work effectively and isn't worth it.

falz posted:

You won't make your money back on efficiency savings.

I generally think of windows as about break even, but again this depends on where you are and what your energy costs are. But you will often get a much more livable home - less drafts, less condensation on failed windows, heating/ac running less so not causing humidity swings.

Cost wise - there are windows to fit all budgets, but whereever you are it is worth finding a company that has been around for a while and offers a decent length guarantee on the frames and glass units.

Bear in mind that in Europe there is a shortage of all building materials including glass, and for glass this has been exacerbated by a number of major suppliers shutting down their facilities for repairs. If you are in the US this might not be such an issue.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

CancerCakes posted:

I generally think of windows as about break even, but again this depends on where you are and what your energy costs are. But you will often get a much more livable home - less drafts, less condensation on failed windows, heating/ac running less so not causing humidity swings.

Yeah seconding this, quality of life improvement basically. Which is good and worth it.

In my case I also have fewer flies and bugs getting in since replacing most windows in the last year or so. Unsure where they were getting in but they're not now so shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

falz posted:

In my case I also have fewer flies and bugs getting in since replacing most windows in the last year or so. Unsure where they were getting in but they're not now so shrug.

Maintenance issue, or potentially install issue from the last set. Most people don't realize that you are going to have to caulk the gaps and should do so both inside and out when necessary. Just not the bottom on the outside.