Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Torrannor posted:

It could very well be that in TAR they look like they looked when they were first bound to the Horn.

I got the impression it was the opposite and they looked like their latest incarnation. Hawkwing is described that way, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cavelcade posted:

I got the impression it was the opposite and they looked like their latest incarnation. Hawkwing is described that way, I think.

It's a mix because the wheel weaves as the wheel wills. Two heroes are always born as twins, Gaidal Cain is usually born ugly, Birgitte usually has a long braid.

So we have cases where the soul affects physical appearance, unknowingly.

(Also let's be honest here, nobody from Emond's Field knows what Artur Hawkwing physically looked like 1000 years ago, they're all going by archetypes and descriptions from the gleeman tales)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 3, 2021

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It seemed obvious to me that they appear as the legendary version of themselves when not incarnate. The legend of Birgitte is made up of thousands of women, but they are conflated into one.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

(Also let's be honest here, nobody from Emond's Field knows what Artur Hawkwing physically looked like 1000 years ago, they're all going by archetypes and descriptions from the gleeman tales)

Except for Mat once he gets the memories.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Do you know Hawkwing's face?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Do Lan and Moiraine cross paths after book 5?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Do Lan and Moiraine cross paths after book 5?

Yeah, everyone's at the big Council of Rand thing at the top of A Memory of Light. The only main character who skips out is Mat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'll have to read that again. I don't remember them running into each other, but Lan surely deserves to know she lived.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I think I’ve said it before, but after watching that show I think Bruce Spence would make a pretty darn good Lews Therin.
i mean if they announced Bruce Spence as Rand al'Thor tomorrow I'd watch it so sure

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'll have to read that again. I don't remember them running into each other, but Lan surely deserves to know she lived.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, Lan might already have been making his stand at Tarwin's Gap by then.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
He was, yeah. A major part of the council was "who do we send to relieve Lan?" And Rand himself went in to the fray there to bait out dreadlords.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Despite a recent reread, I’m going to feel like an unspoiled first time watcher when this show debuts out given to the sheer number of words and names in this world that I’ve been pronouncing incorrectly in my head. The Amyrlin Seat has been “Amy + Rillin” for years now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The WoT-head in my life who insists he is the worlds hugest Jordan fan / once went to Jordan’s house and talked with him for hours about all the lore and whatnot / was with him on his deathbed and poo poo also claims that Aviendha is pronounced “Eh-vee-end-a”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

The WoT-head in my life who insists he is the worlds hugest Jordan fan / once went to Jordan’s house and talked with him for hours about all the lore and whatnot / was with him on his deathbed and poo poo also claims that Aviendha is pronounced “Eh-vee-end-a”

Ask him what the front gates of Jordan's house look like.

Actually wait I guess that's a fairly easy google

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will need to be armed with the correct answer in advance please

E: I assume from what he has told me it’s like the gates of Babylon only with more muscles and belt pouches and American flags

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

https://dragonmount.com/blogs/entry/383-my-journey-to-robert-jordans-funeral/

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ask him what the front gates of Jordan's house look like.

Actually wait I guess that's a fairly easy google

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Those pictures of inside his house is exactly what I would expect.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

"Republicans buy books, too"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Got pointed to this passage from TEoTW. This is like, foreshadowing and hilarity all the way down.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

i've been (and remain) pretty agnostic on the tv series although i like the cast, but this tagline is hilarious

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1410266689510416385?s=20

i don't have the series committed to memory or anything but THERE ARE NEITHER BEGINNINGS NOR ENDINGS TO THE WHEEL OF TIME

(ok nice to confirm that it's coming this year...)

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Why wouldn't legends have a beginning? I don't get it.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

bloom posted:

Why wouldn't legends have a beginning? I don't get it.

drat you bloom, i had to go back and look and i guess RJ says the wind was a beginning, even though the WoT has neither endings nor beginnings...fine!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

buffalo all day posted:

drat you bloom, i had to go back and look and i guess RJ says the wind was a beginning, even though the WoT has neither endings nor beginnings...fine!!!

Yeah the quote is always

"The wind was not the beginning, there are neither beginnings nor endings in the Wheel of Time, but it was a beginning."

And the tweet managed to not gently caress that up

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The show is saved.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

How are u posted:

The show is saved.

:worship:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Apparently the tweet has some old tongue hidden in it that translates to "The people of the dragon are always welcome here".

https://twitter.com/Carter_AndrewJ/status/1410268709579595781

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They should probably ask the Wheel of Time inhabitants how welcoming they are to people who have dragons fangs painted on their doors.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have to say, i was expecting early 2022 or something. wild.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

Apparently the tweet has some old tongue hidden in it that translates to "The people of the dragon are always welcome here".

https://twitter.com/Carter_AndrewJ/status/1410268709579595781

It's pretty cool that they're kludging fragments of old tongue together more or less correctly for the teaser

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I thought it was an infinity sign snake eating its tail

This show is bullshit!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I thought it was an infinity sign snake eating its tail

This show is bullshit!

How would you wear that as a ring?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Like a high school ring with a 🐍

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

How would you wear that as a ring?

Sling ring from Doctor Strange obv

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Two finger ring duh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

obviously not supported by the text

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

A lot of the art shows the snake twisted into an infinity symbol, but the ring as described in the text is clearly supposed to be an Ouroboros, a symbol used as far back as BC 1500 to represent an endless cycle of death and rebirth.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A regular ring but the "face" is the snake eating itself :shrug:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

digitally replace all the rings with tiny, terrible snakes you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

consider the basic fact that if you're designing an eye-catching logo to put everything that succinctly captures the most core aspects of the media you're advertising that maybe a circle (that is a snake eating itself in an eternal loop and tends to be recognized even outside of wheel of time) with the initials of the series inside of it will probably be much easier to parse at a distance or brief glance than an infinity sign