Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Having no intention of actually watching the video, it's certainly true that "method of transportation" tells you nothing about the work and is about as helpful and arbitrary a classification as sorting by the third letter to appear in the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
heck, half the time truck-kun is used it isn't even played for laughs. sincere truck-kun! such deviants.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I classify mine into "Villainess" and "Non-Villainess". Seems to work pretty well for me!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Sort by title length

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Having no intention of actually watching the video, it's certainly true that "method of transportation" tells you nothing about the work and is about as helpful and arbitrary a classification as sorting by the third letter to appear in the title
Isekai is as broad a term as most genre labels, and the notable forms of transportation are also equally vague. There's no single tag that will really let you know what a story is about. An list of genre descriptors and even tropes as far as modern websites are concerned give a more accurate insight to what the story is like. A synopsis is better for the actual story hook.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
It's cringe because youtube has gone from content providers trying to make discussion videos for themselves and their small circle of fans, to click-batey poo poo as this is now an actual job for them and their rent payment relies on how much engagement they can get. Cringe gets the clicks.

That being said, a simple tag system does go a long way in building an index, with isekai just being one of the tags.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Eeepies posted:

I classify mine into "Villainess" and "Non-Villainess". Seems to work pretty well for me!
Yea. Non-villainess is further sorted into "shithead mc" and "not a shithead mc" because that's not usually an issue for villainess.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Eeepies posted:

The sheer amount of "villainess" titles honored them with their own genre tag on MangaDex. It's probably my favorite isekai subgenre now because all the Korean webtoons are largely inoffensive and uniquely interesting. You don't find any slave harems and other typical isekai bullshit.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LorneReams posted:

It's cringe because youtube has gone from content providers trying to make discussion videos for themselves and their small circle of fans, to click-batey poo poo as this is now an actual job for them and their rent payment relies on how much engagement they can get. Cringe gets the clicks.

That being said, a simple tag system does go a long way in building an index, with isekai just being one of the tags.

What I find most irritatingly cringe is how much stuff sort gets a pass with little to no discussion in terms of actual criticism. Enjoy the stuff if you like, but it least be honest that it's wish-fulfilment pandering schlock and not some deep complex masterclass of the genre and actually use you positions to give shout-outs to lesser known series that could use the views.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i love garbage. recently i love it more than legitimately good books.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i love garbage. recently i love it more than legitimately good books.

It's the Bile Fascination kicking it.

quote:

I believe in the value of failed art; art that is driven by carelessness, unchecked and untalented ego, by spectacularly low-stakes greed. It has a tendency to be novel, to be unpredictable in a way that deliberate art never can. This is why it's so much fun to watch bad movies. No one would ever make this game on purpose [...] It is not simply a lack of time or money that produces something like An American Tail: The Video Game, but the profound lack of caring. The end product of that broken process isn't worth playing for its own merits, but it is worth playing because it's worth remembering.

—Dan Olson, "An American Tail: Fiedel

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Same. Dumpster diving and finding something actually good feels way more enjoyable than just reading good poo poo.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Same. Dumpster diving and finding something actually good feels way more enjoyable than just reading good poo poo.

True. There's a bunch of Crap in isekai, but every now and again you find some neat little trinkets.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also, the intellectual junk food of wish fulfillment, so long as it's not gross, is a nice way to unwind after a day of extreme brain fatigue.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
In a manga that I thought was actually cancelled.

In Another World where Baseball is War, a High School Ace Player will Save a Weak Nation

Player was about to graduate high school with full scholarship. Then a baseball loving freak god decides baseball on his world sucks poo poo, even though he forced communities to play it, and abducts the main character to give the sport a kick in the pants.

"Baseball War Pact"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It wasn’t canceled, mangadex has just been down for months which has meant scanlator releases have been real hard to track.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

EVIL Gibson posted:

In a manga that I thought was actually cancelled.

In Another World where Baseball is War, a High School Ace Player will Save a Weak Nation

Player was about to graduate high school with full scholarship. Then a baseball loving freak god decides baseball on his world sucks poo poo, even though he forced communities to play it, and abducts the main character to give the sport a kick in the pants.

I think it's fair to note for anyone new to the series that the art is pretty ecchi, and the story is a little dark for something that looks like a sports manga on the surface.

ninjewtsu posted:

I will say in his defense that by "method of transportation" he meant "transported", "reincarnated", "trapped in a video game", and "time travel" which does have some correlation to the type of story you might expect. However the sheer breadth of the isekai category means that it's nigh impossible to use any one label to give someone an idea about what to expect from a specific work.

Brought To You By posted:

I mean, the problem with that is super obvious since everything past the premise of the transportation is going to be super variable and in rare cases incredibly niche. How is parody even a game genre anyways?

Parody isn't a game genre; his attempt to shoe horn everything into a video game framework fell apart and he ended up resorting to more standard labels at the end.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, the intellectual junk food of wish fulfillment, so long as it's not gross, is a nice way to unwind after a day of extreme brain fatigue.

This is generally my issue with every anituber is that they gloss over those less than pleasant things and go into these, "it's actually a deep and complex look into these topics" limp dick excuse fig leaf. Look just be honest that the burger has pink goo as part of its production and that it's there because of a combination of the cooks personal tastes as well as some of the clientele instead of praising it as Michelin Star quality.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nemo2342 posted:

I think it's fair to note for anyone new to the series that the art is pretty ecchi, and the story is a little dark for something that looks like a sports manga on the surface.

It is very dark considering people's lives are attached to this game. It is not a sports manga but it describes techniques in baseballs and core training.

Going have to disagree with you on the "pretty ecchi". Konasuba is what I call at the level "pretty ecchi" and this manga is definitely not that. If you mean the main character taking off his shirt and showing how ripped he is from training, which is normal since he was an all star player, then I don't know what I can say.

It's unfair to give it that title.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The artist really loves butts, and wants to show you them.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

EVIL Gibson posted:

It is very dark considering people's lives are attached to this game. It is not a sports manga but it describes techniques in baseballs and core training.

Going have to disagree with you on the "pretty ecchi". Konasuba is what I call at the level "pretty ecchi" and this manga is definitely not that. If you mean the main character taking off his shirt and showing how ripped he is from training, which is normal since he was an all star player, then I don't know what I can say.

It's unfair to give it that title.

I'm not talking about the MC taking his shirt off, I'm talking about how the art constantly focuses on the female characters' (and basically every "good guy" is female) butts and crotches.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the series, I just think it's fair to give people a head's up that the art's a little more focused on butts and panties than you might otherwise expect.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm not talking about the MC taking his shirt off, I'm talking about how the art constantly focuses on the female characters' (and basically every "good guy" is female) butts and crotches.

***a butt***

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the series, I just think it's fair to give people a head's up that the art's a little more focused on butts and panties than you might otherwise expect.

thanks for the example. that type of thing is in most entertaining manga, it's like white noise to me now Even though it's huge I just read the text bubble and moved on and didn't really look at anything else. Unless it is super overt, it's in the background for me.

I should really starting reading the light novels at this point and be done with horny artists.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 17, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

EVIL Gibson posted:

I should really starting reading the light novels at this point and be done with horny artists.

I have some bad news for you about light novels

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mors Rattus posted:

I have some bad news for you about light novels

well, my christian puritan standards states I must not see the butts.

reading about it like trashy "romance" novels is perfect in the eyes of the Lord!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

the bad news is they're illustrated

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I started reading the Tanya the Evil novels and they’re straight up “airport novel as light novel”, which is a funny combination. Red Storm Rising as an isekai.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
As much as I love reading all these villainess isekai, I can't help but find it amusing that so many middle aged OLs just so happened to have been reading a trashy romance novel set in a generic European fantasy setting right before they died. It's just such an incredibly specific yet somehow incredibly common cliché for the subgenre to have.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 18, 2021

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ashley Williams managed to do the same thing without dying

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mors Rattus posted:

the butt news is they're illustrated

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Vorpal Cat posted:

As much as I love reading all these villainess isekai, I can't help but find it amusing that so many middle aged OLs just so happened to have been reading a trashy romance novel set in a generic European fantasy setting right before they died. It's just such an incredibly specific yet somehow incredibly common cliché for the subgenre to have.

What you don't think middle aged OLs read trashy romance novels set in a generic European fantasy setting? Because in my experience that's all they read.

Okay, that was sarcasm, but I do encounter a lot of trashy romance novels.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kwyndig posted:

What you don't think middle aged OLs read trashy romance novels set in a generic European fantasy setting? Because in my experience that's all they read.

Okay, that was sarcasm, but I do encounter a lot of trashy romance novels.

Doesn't even need to be sarcasm. While not based in Europe or only being somewhat fantasy, stuff from Danielle Steele and other bodice ripper schlock sells from time to time at my CVS and it has to still be popular if it's still being produced in such numbers. Someone out there is buying these books.

Bonus points for Duke's Daughter having the most Bodice Ripper looking covers for the LN.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

It is interesting that its always a setting the main character knows well and never say, a book they heard about from a friend but hadn't gotten around to reading, or a book they read a decade ago and only half remember. The only one I know that touches on that idea is "Middle-Aged Man's Noble Daughter Reincarnation" which mostly uses the main characters unfamiliarity with the otome game he reincarnated in as a source of comedy.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Vorpal Cat posted:

It is interesting that its always a setting the main character knows well and never say, a book they heard about from a friend but hadn't gotten around to reading, or a book they read a decade ago and only half remember. The only one I know that touches on that idea is "Middle-Aged Man's Noble Daughter Reincarnation" which mostly uses the main characters unfamiliarity with the otome game he reincarnated in as a source of comedy.

Deathbound Duke's Daughter does this a bit by making that she only get about 3/7 of the endings or just under half the game done. So while she's familiar with the setting, a lot of stuff is still unknown to her.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Can't wait to read "I reincarnated as the villainess from a popular book series, but I only saw the film version".

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

Deathbound Duke's Daughter does this a bit by making that she only get about 3/7 of the endings or just under half the game done. So while she's familiar with the setting, a lot of stuff is still unknown to her.

Villains are Fated to Die, I think it is, she's familiar as gently caress with the setting but gets dumped in in a scenario she has no idea about whatsoever (because it happens before the original paths even start) and also she's on hard mode.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Vorpal Cat posted:

It is interesting that its always a setting the main character knows well and never say, a book they heard about from a friend but hadn't gotten around to reading, or a book they read a decade ago and only half remember.
I know there are several that do this, but I've read too many to remember which ones they are.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is Truck-kun a psychopomp?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I read the first book of Mistborn and I really want to read a fic where someone gets reincarnated as the haughty noble girl who hates Vin and is engaged to the main love interest. She extremely fits the tropes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Speaking of Villainess manga, best Villainess (Ojisan) has been getting updates for the past couple days now. The old man really is a winner in life with a wife and daughter like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Argue posted:

I read the first book of Mistborn and I really want to read a fic where someone gets reincarnated as the haughty noble girl who hates Vin and is engaged to the main love interest. She extremely fits the tropes.

LOL, why is my rival basically supergirl?