Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's easy, it's always a brand new Escalade with all of the options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Anyone hear a dogwhistle popular r&b ringtone?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lib and let die posted:

i would unironically love to make a living wage in a mcdonald's kitchen. all you have to do is what would get you in trouble in any proper restaurant kitchen: cook a burger well done

just flipping well done burgers all day, going home and not worrying about which bill to pay would own

maybe you gotta turn around and grab the fries when the fryer starts beeping

maybe make a special order burger with no salt or something

hell yeah
Cant tell is this a syq or just a joke that fell flat for me, but no. Ive spent my adult life and still work in kitchens. McDonald's is one of the most labor 9ntesive kitchen jobs I've ever worked. Running 4 clam shell grills cooking 16 patties on each grill, with a cook time of 50 seconds. You will have each grill cycling for three hours solid likely. If short staffed, make sure you are running to the six fryer baskets you have constantly cycling nuggets, chicken patties, and fish. It stays a mid 80 degrees the whole time

The easiest kitchen job is prep cook or salad/cold side in a sit down. Aim for that. Or busser. Never McDonald's grill.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

Anyone hear a dogwhistle popular r&b ringtone?

They "don't see color", so you must be the real racist, you lib.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

quote:

READ THIS LETTER from a high school student about 👉the effects of Critical Race Theory on him👈 and fellow students, written to an English teacher who resigned after the school began injecting CRT into the school:

Dear Mrs. Stangel-Plowe,

I truly hope you do read this email, but I understand if you are too busy to. I am extremely grateful that you were my teacher this year, and for the ideas you finally brought to light recently. I hope you realize how big of an impact you made on our community. Unfortunately, all of what you said is true; I know many students that are scared to speak out on their opinions in fear. I have reluctantly prohibited myself from saying certain things in class also in fear of sounding politically incorrect. I see the negative effects of this toxic community in my fellow students and faculty every day.

Namely, my eighth grade English teacher taught us for the first two weeks about pretty much how awful white men are. For two weeks, I did not speak a single word in her class. My fellow white male classmates left the classroom every time feeling the same way. For lack of a better word, those teachings made me feel like horse poo poo, like worthless scum undeserving of living.

Later during that year, in my history class, my white classmates were constantly using the pronoun “we” when talking about slavery. Eventually, I had to raise my hand and remind them: that “we” were not and are not a part of these despicable acts. Most of our parents were refugees from foreign countries, whose ancestors were also oppressed and persecuted. This year, I have battled with countless generalizing and oppression towards white men. There are girls, whom I am friends with, that genuinely believe that all men are misogynistic. I see movements on social media like #KAM which stands for “Kill all men”; people don’t realize how strongly that affects boys in an extremely negative way.

Even now, I am struggling and frightened to fully express my opinion to my girlfriend, who believes that most white men are oppressive beings. Everyone is talking about your letter, many many students including myself are extremely grateful for what you’ve done. My friends and classmates feel much more comfortable expressing their voices and many minds are changing. So I am once again thanking you for trying to improve our school. I wish I could put into words the extent to which I admire and thank you. I wish I could describe to you the good that you have done. I aspire to be as brave as you some day.

With endless amounts of love and respect,

-Your former D-E student.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Would you still teach Critical White Man Theory in school? Congratulations, you just aborted Tchaikovsky.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Here's another one. You can just smell the Boomer wafting off it :

quote:

BY A
15-year-old SCHOOL KID who got an A+ for this entry

(TOTALLY AWESOME)!

The lord's Prayer Is not allowed in most US Public schools any more.

A kid in Minnesota, wrote the following NEW School Prayer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I sit me down in school

Where praying is against the rule

For this great nation under God

Finds mention of Him very odd.

If scripture now the class recites,

It violates the Bill of Rights.

And anytime my head I bow

Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,

That's no offense; it's a freedom scene..

The law is specific, the law is precise.

Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall

Might offend someone with no faith at all..

In silence alone we must meditate,

God's name is prohibited by the State..

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,

And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks...

They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.

To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,

And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.

It's 'inappropriate' to teach right from wrong,

We're taught that such 'judgments' do not belong..

We can get our condoms and birth controls,

Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles...

But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,

No word of God must reach this crowd.

It's scary here I must confess,

When chaos reigns the school's a mess.

So, Lord, this silent plea I make:

Should I be shot; My soul please take!

Amen

If you aren't ashamed to do this, Please pass this on..

Jesus said, 'If you are ashamed of me, I will be ashamed of you before my Father.'

~~~~~~~~~AWESOME~~~~~~~~~~

Not ashamed. Passing this on.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Needless to say, this is all Christian persecution complex bullshit. The case they love to point to, Engel v Vitale, banned mandatory school prayer; not all prayer or the Bible. As long as they're not disruptive, these things are as welcome in school as they ever were.

Without a single shred of irony, the same Christians who speak of an all-knowing and ever-present god are the same ones who say that god was "kicked out" of public schools.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Panfilo posted:

Why can't these people write a poem without loving up the meter?! A+ my rear end! :argh:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Needless to say, this is all Christian persecution complex bullshit. The case they love to point to, Engel v Vitale, banned mandatory school prayer; not all prayer or the Bible. As long as they're not disruptive, these things are as welcome in school as they ever were.

Without a single shred of irony, the same Christians who speak of an all-knowing and ever-present god are the same ones who say that god was "kicked out" of public schools.

You know what they say: "As long as there are tests, there will always be prayer in public schools."

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 19, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Panfilo posted:

quote:

Jesus said, 'If you are ashamed of me, I will be ashamed of you before my Father.'
I wonder why he said that. I hope it was nothing to do with The Feeding of the Five Thousand in Luke 9 where Jesus said to feed all of the poor without prejudice.

Because if for some reason it was, that might also be a direct indictment of some kind of group failure to adopt the original basis of that message in Matthew 25, where all followers are instructed to

quote:

Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.

I think the only way out of this one in one piece might be to collectively come together in some manner to feed the hungry, naturalize the stranger, clothe the homeless, and do something about healthcare and mass incarceration, it sounds serious. :ohdear:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Man Metallica really loving sucks now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Panfilo posted:

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
That’s a C- prayer at best.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
A lot of people watched that Simpsons episode where Flanders became the principal, heard Superintendent Chalmers say "God has no place within these walls!" and took it completely at face value.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

In Texas schools there is a mandatory school-led "moment of silence" every morning wink wink, it's definitely not for prayer.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

In Texas schools there is a mandatory school-led "moment of silence" every morning wink wink, it's definitely not for prayer.

Florida recently approved a bill for that too. It won't take long for people to change their minds when a Muslim kid unrolls their prayer mat.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Florida recently approved a bill for that too. It won't take long for people to change their minds when a Muslim kid unrolls their prayer mat.

Islam isn't a religion, it's a political ideology :smug:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

Also the prayer mat is too loud and disrupts the other students ;)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VitalSigns posted:

And Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship with God!

(The first time I had this one thrown at me I was literally speechless.)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This one is interesting because if it's not a religion then free exercise isn't protected

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VitalSigns posted:

This one is interesting because if it's not a religion then free exercise isn't protected

Tell that to me from five years ago, I could have used the help.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

i would unironically love to make a living wage in a mcdonald's kitchen. all you have to do is what would get you in trouble in any proper restaurant kitchen: cook a burger well done

just flipping well done burgers all day, going home and not worrying about which bill to pay would own

maybe you gotta turn around and grab the fries when the fryer starts beeping

maybe make a special order burger with no salt or something

hell yeah

Nah, this ain't it. I worked food service before joining the military, and briefly worked as a Waffle House grill operator after retiring from the military.

In both cases, I busted my rear end way more than I ever did in the actual military outside of BMT for way less money. Even at a living wage, it'd still be an exhausting job. It's demanding as hell and absolutely destroys people physically.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Twelve by Pies posted:

A lot of people watched that Simpsons episode where Flanders became the principal, heard Superintendent Chalmers say "God has no place within these walls!" and took it completely at face value.

Oh my God. This was a Simpsons reference?

https://youtu.be/0icTE4W0UOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I've heard a lot of arguments against separating church and state, but that particular one is new even to me. It's not surprising. The type of people who say that aren't about Christianity as a religion so much as a political identity, which they can use as a bludgeon against LGBTQ, "liberals", etc.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Devorum posted:

Nah, this ain't it. I worked food service before joining the military, and briefly worked as a Waffle House grill operator after retiring from the military.

In both cases, I busted my rear end way more than I ever did in the actual military outside of BMT for way less money. Even at a living wage, it'd still be an exhausting job. It's demanding as hell and absolutely destroys people physically.

Hey. HEY! If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean. Get the gently caress back to work.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Devorum posted:

Yeah doing food service is one of the most demanding and demoralizing jobs out there. The hell of it is at least in demanding jobs like working on an oil field you get to build and maintain rigs and such. In food service it's just sending perishables out the door to a miserable audience that hates you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My dad's big on posting "School prayer needs to come back to our schools!" memes and when his friends call him out he says "I don't care if you're Christian, Muslim or Jewish, as long as you're praying to God!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Medullah posted:

My dad's big on posting "School prayer needs to come back to our schools!" memes and when his friends call him out he says "I don't care if you're Christian, Muslim or Jewish, as long as you're praying to God!"

Everyone's cool with me doing a call out to my boy Allah during the Pledge of Allegience then right, we good?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Everyone's cool with me doing a call out to my boy Allah during the Pledge of Allegience then right, we good?

Inshallah

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've heard a lot of arguments against separating church and state, but that particular one is new even to me. It's not surprising. The type of people who say that aren't about Christianity as a religion so much as a political identity, which they can use as a bludgeon against LGBTQ, "liberals", etc.

Calling Christianity a relationship as opposed to a religion isn't purely a political thing - I heard it a lot from youth pastors and "actually Jesus was the first punk rocker" types growing up in a fairly liberal church. It's a fairly simple way to pretend that Christianity is super-special and totally unique compared to all other religions. Not exactly the strongest argument out there, but you can tell why that framing can be appealing to a worshipper.

Of course, as soon as it's taken out of a purely-religious context, it becomes a fun little (thankfully mostly-pretend) loophole against the Establishment Clause.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The reasoning behind "Christianity isn't a religion" thing is "Every religion requires you to earn your way into a better place in the afterlife, or be good enough to get into paradise. Christianity on the other hand says nobody can earn their way into a better place or ever be good enough, but it's okay because Jesus already paid the price to enter into Heaven."

I'm not really well versed in other religious beliefs so I don't know how true that is, the part about "you can never be good enough/earn your way, it's a free gift given to you." At any rate that doesn't even touch the fact that you still are required to follow particular rules in Christianity or you're not "really saved," like try being an openly gay or trans Christian to someone who says it's not a religion just a relationship, as well as stuff like the already mentioned Matthew 25, Romans where Paul says that you can't go on sinning just because you're saved by grace, or even the book of James where it straight up says "faith without works is useless," you still have to be "good enough" and "earn" your way in, you can't just say "Well I believe in Jesus" and keep living a sinful life. Even by their own standards Christianity still qualifies as a religion.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Plus the people who say "it's not a religion!" still engage in a lot of the rituals associated with Christianity. It may not be formal High Church ceremonies, but they'll still pray and celebrate holidays and stuff.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

That's funny, because I remember weeks of collective punishment because 19 year old fellows couldn't responsibly handle literally anything.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

I remember in the early to mid-aughts there were conspiracy theories in the South about how they were installing Muslim prayer rooms in schools with taxpayer dollars and it was obviously the first step to America's Islamic subjugation.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Remember when Judicial Watch (I think) found a soccer jersey in the Texas or New Mexico desert and got insanely spun up about how it was a Muslim prayer rug

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Or the "Muslim prayer curtain" behind Obama in the Oval Office (it's always been there since like Johnson I think)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

Remember when Judicial Watch (I think) found a soccer jersey in the Texas or New Mexico desert and got insanely spun up about how it was a Muslim prayer rug

Before they just decided blatant racism against hispanics is okay, I remember the bullshit stories about how we needed to stop immigration because an ISIS agent might fly into South America and travel hundreds of miles through the desert to enter the US and do a terrorism.

Instead of, you know, just flying in from Europe where they'd face much less scrutiny.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The reasoning behind "Christianity isn't a religion" thing is "Every religion requires you to earn your way into a better place in the afterlife, or be good enough to get into paradise. Christianity on the other hand says nobody can earn their way into a better place or ever be good enough, but it's okay because Jesus already paid the price to enter into Heaven."

Hey, just wanted to drop in and say that Christianity is not the only religion where this is the case. In Pure Land Buddhism the major theological belief is that Amida (or Amitābha) Buddha saw that the earth was so corrupt that he decided he needed to create a spiritual realm that people could ascend to where it would be easier to achieve enlightenment known as the Pure Land. The Japanese sect of Pure Land Buddhism is unique in that it sees the world as so corrupt that any effort towards enlightenment here is effectively wasted, and one must instead rely on their faith in Amida, and Amida's grace to bring them into the Pure Land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not really well versed in other religious beliefs so I don't know how true that is, the part about "you can never be good enough/earn your way, it's a free gift given to you." At any rate that doesn't even touch the fact that you still are required to follow particular rules in Christianity or you're not "really saved," like try being an openly gay or trans Christian to someone who says it's not a religion just a relationship, as well as stuff like the already mentioned Matthew 25, Romans where Paul says that you can't go on sinning just because you're saved by grace, or even the book of James where it straight up says "faith without works is useless," you still have to be "good enough" and "earn" your way in, you can't just say "Well I believe in Jesus" and keep living a sinful life. Even by their own standards Christianity still qualifies as a religion.

You pretty much have it correct. According to Christian thought, Jesus paid it all, but the way you show that you're "saved" is by good works. The good works aren't enough to get you into heaven, but they're supposed to be an outward sign of your faith.

The problem comes from some Christians today who think that since they're already forgiven, they can do whatever because hey - Jesus will be returning soon to Rapture the church and I'll be given my reward while the heathens here on Earth suffer!