Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
It must be very frustrating to be vinales. Almost as frustrating as being Marquez or Rossi this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

rins smacked a bicycle into a staff van while texting and injured himself badly enough to need surgery

https://twitter.com/denkmit/status/1400450163747950592?s=19 the texting bit is an unsourced screenshot though

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 4, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

He's just being efficient and pre-crashing before the race.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm surprised they let them ride bicycles on the street at all

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maintain the riders in refrigerated pods until necessary like they were Bucky Barnes

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The age old question of how do you keep riders from hurting themselves by doing what they do that keeps them fast to stay competitive riders that hurt themselves by doing what they do that keeps them fast...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My uncle was an astronaut and you aren't allowed to anything fun in the years before your mission (skiing, flying planes, etc.). Of course given that the pilots/commanders tend to be fighter jet pilots, they ignore these rules then get in trouble.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm surprised they let them ride bicycles on the street at all
Says he was on the track, which is even stupider.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bicycles are absurdly dangerous looked at objectively, it's hilarious that some brands ban their dudes from motocross but send them out on bicycles. Crutchlow lost a season to falling off one at a stop. Nicky lost his life.

And the worst thing is: it doesn't train you for jack loving poo poo. Marquez and Dovi don't ponce around in lycra, they train in a targeted way for the sport they actually do which, surprisingly, doesn't involve pedaling endurance or long stringy muscles. I am convinced a huge part of the winning difference is simply having a trainer who can ride a fast motorcycle and understands it's closer to training for ninja warrior than the tour de France.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

lol jack

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
To be fair to Nicky, if he was on a motorbike at the time the outcome would probably have been the same

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

Bicycles are absurdly dangerous looked at objectively, it's hilarious that some brands ban their dudes from motocross but send them out on bicycles. Crutchlow lost a season to falling off one at a stop. Nicky lost his life.

And the worst thing is: it doesn't train you for jack loving poo poo. Marquez and Dovi don't ponce around in lycra, they train in a targeted way for the sport they actually do which, surprisingly, doesn't involve pedaling endurance or long stringy muscles. I am convinced a huge part of the winning difference is simply having a trainer who can ride a fast motorcycle and understands it's closer to training for ninja warrior than the tour de France.

Partly blame Ben Spies, aside for the huge raw talent he had, he had a bicycle team at the same time. As mentioned, didn't help him on the motorcycle at all when it kept coming apart underneath him.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ben spies' story is easily in my top three most tragic GP tales, the others being Lorenzo leaving Ducati and pedrosa not leaving Honda. How the gently caress did Yamaha manage to make the least reliable gp bike of all time and a sublime title winning gem at the same time in the same season, it was truly bizarre.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I hope I get to root for an American again someday. :sigh:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Miller when half the field follows him in Q - “eh, poo poo happens”
Binales when 1 guy follows him in Q - :byodood::supaburn: :downsgun:

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Was wondering how long it would take before McPhee hosed that one up. Definitely WSS-bound; I apologise for even considering him for a BSB backmarker role!

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

aaah McPhee’s Moto3 crash was a heart stopper

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Even the brilliance of Acosta can’t effect the Moto3 Last Lap Lottery!

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

that was a very fun race for catalunya. shame everything fell apart for Fabio but I enjoy watching ktm do well after eating poo poo for all those years. aprilia is still having to rely on tire tricks to make themselves look respectable

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Well done Miguel, a masterclass in consistency.

Just when I thought Fabio might have overcome his gremlins, he fades away in true Fabio fashion. Utterly bizarre.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

the paradigm shift posted:

that was a very fun race for catalunya. shame everything fell apart for Fabio but I enjoy watching ktm do well after eating poo poo for all those years. aprilia is still having to rely on tire tricks to make themselves look respectable

Also kinda makes me laugh when KTM gets another win whilst Zarco remains on 0.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I have to agree 100% with Neil Hodgson, Quateraro should have been black flagged for saftey reasons for his leathers. I was gritting my teeth every time they showed them flapping open, if he had gone down hard in the gravel at a fast corner he be flirting with death from road rash.

gregbest90 posted:

Well done Miguel, a masterclass in consistency.

Just when I thought Fabio might have overcome his gremlins, he fades away in true Fabio fashion. Utterly bizarre.

I don't think he had some inexplicable slow down. His pace dropped a bunch at the end of last year's race because the tire couldn't keep up the pace, it looked about the same this year except he didn't have a big lead built up.

BitcoinRockefeller fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 6, 2021

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
And now the stewards are assessing another 3 second penalty to Quateraro for his leathers, dropping him to 5th, presumably because so many people were on their rear end about letting the situation continue. This decision is dog poo poo imo, the 2 things the stewards should have done was acknowledge their mistake and say if this situation happens again and you don't pull off it'll be an immediate black flag.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

And now the stewards are assessing another 3 second penalty to Quateraro for his leathers, dropping him to 5th, presumably because so many people were on their rear end about letting the situation continue. This decision is dog poo poo imo, the 2 things the stewards should have done was acknowledge their mistake and say if this situation happens again and you don't pull off it'll be an immediate black flag.

it really just makes it look like the stewards don't know their own rulebook.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

it really just makes it look like the stewards don't know their own rulebook.

They don't, and they apply the rules inconsistently and with favoritism, and they're blind and incompetent.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And yet still better than the FIA.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I really want to see Aleix Espargaro win one of these. It seems like the machine he's on is not quite in the same league as the other guys, and yet he manages to stay in the fight. Here's hoping he a finds a way through one of these days.

That crash for McPhee was heartbreaking to watch, as was his reaction. I can't imagine what it would be like to achieve your dreams, reach the grand prix level, and just feel it slipping away with each race. I don't know how teams decide on who stays and who goes in terms of riders, but I've gotta believe McPhee is very unlikely to be back next year. Hard to see that.

In terms of the actual racing, Moto3 continues to be delightful, not least because it seems completely unpredictable. The huge knot of bikes racing side by side down towards turn 1 was always amazing to watch. I was surprised at how many guys (most notably Masia) kept exceeding the track limits, sometimes seemingly to no advantage. Is there something about Catalunya itself that makes that more likely, or was this just a weird race in that regard?

MotoGP was interesting as well, though less so than Moto3. My guy Vinales is hanging in there, though it seems like he can't quite find that last bit of speed he needs to get back to the podium. Mir is always in the discussion, but has a similar problem. I'm glad to see Miller staying consistent, and Olivera looked phenomenal today, a superb race from him. Are the two names I actually knew before I started watching this year, Marquez and Rossi, basically done? Rossi is 42, it makes sense that he just can't keep up with the other guys. But it seemed like everyone was wondering whether Marquez would dominate right away when he came back, or maybe take a couple races to get back into shape. Instead, he's just been a mess out there. Does he need more time or have these injuries taken something important from him that he can't compensate for?

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Injuries and possibly the worst bike on the grid at the moment, which is saying something when you have Aprilla and KTM on the grid.

McPhee is done, Dixon is done, and if they have any sense so is Lowes (admittedly I've said this about Lowes for the last few years). Back into WSBK/WSS/BSB for you all.

Accosta from the back of the pack to 1st, then back to 13th or something at the start of the last lap before barging up into the top 10 by the end. Just putting it out there as a reminder of the best class.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think Dixon deserves more chances, Lowes should've been gone long ago. It's interesting watching baubier, he might have a chance.

Wrt track limits, it's not that races this year are particularly error-strewn, but more that the stewards have decided this year is going to be a boner year for track limits infringements. This would be fine if they applied the rules equally.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Look Slavvy, we're picking up on hot discussion topics before the journos.

https://the-race.com/motogp/moto3-needs-get-faster-to-be-safer/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Journos are drooling morons so yeah. Going to a bigger cc does seem like the most rational, least artificial solution and has the bonus of developmental incentive for the 300-500 class for manufacturers. Would be nice to see a Suzuki or Aprilia in moto3

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

mir, franky, mav, and rins all going through q1 this weekend :eyepop:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mir, franky, mav, and rins all going through q1 this weekend :eyepop:

lmao we all knew which bin man wasn't getting through.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Bold strategy out of Zarco there, snatch pole then cause a yellow flag. Cunning.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

JohnClark posted:

Are the two names I actually knew before I started watching this year, Marquez and Rossi, basically done? Rossi is 42, it makes sense that he just can't keep up with the other guys. But it seemed like everyone was wondering whether Marquez would dominate right away when he came back, or maybe take a couple races to get back into shape. Instead, he's just been a mess out there. Does he need more time or have these injuries taken something important from him that he can't compensate for?
I think both Rossi and Marquez have fallen victim to becoming aware of their own mortality. Rossi simply due to getting more experienced, Marquez due to his big crash.

Rossi should have retired after the 2019 season. When he goes two whole seasons without a single race win it's time to hang it up. It's just sad to watch him now.

Marc gets maybe one more season to show that he can get back to winning races, but if he can't do that I think it's out to pasture for him as well.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

algebra testes posted:

lmao we all knew which bin man wasn't getting through.

still impressive how badly he did

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Get in the Bin-ales

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

I think both Rossi and Marquez have fallen victim to becoming aware of their own mortality. Rossi simply due to getting more experienced, Marquez due to his big crash.

Rossi should have retired after the 2019 season. When he goes two whole seasons without a single race win it's time to hang it up. It's just sad to watch him now.

Marc gets maybe one more season to show that he can get back to winning races, but if he can't do that I think it's out to pasture for him as well.

This post will age extremely well.

echomadman posted:

Bold strategy out of Zarco there, snatch pole then cause a yellow flag. Cunning.

Tbh that whole q2 was a debacle, it's like they've all decided risking censure is worth a grid position cause the stewards are so useless they no longer a deterrent to bad behavior.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

Well okay.

I mean, I'm worried because he's on the best bike and hasn't done a lot in a category you need to really shine to go anywhere in so we'll see.

this is a bad post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

This post will age extremely well.
I'd be happy to be wrong.