Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If this is the penultimate chapter, would you say this or part 5 ended worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Part 5‘s story ended worse, but it had Sleeping Slaves... so I guess it really depends on what the next chapter contains.

I think that the themes of Jojolion that the chapter talks about are solid but we didn’t get enough of the Higashikatas to actually see and feel them. The Wonder of U fight went on too long and could have been used to flesh out other characters who simply appeared a few times otherwise, and the ancillary characters that appear during the fight die almost instantly. (Kei, I’m looking at you.)

I’ll have to give the whole thing a reread, but as it stands Jojolion feels to me like a mess of good ideas and cool moments scattered between battles that drag on, nonsensical parts, and dropped plot points. It’s got some high highs, but compared to the masterpiece that is SBR it’s a bit disappointing. Though again, this is based on my week to week readings so I might change my tune completely.

On the subject of it ending, as far as I know there haven’t been any announcements about it and I thought that kind of thing was generally announced in advance? So maybe we’ve still got a bit to go.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Grouchio posted:

i don't know grouchio, what is your opinion on how part 8 is ending compared to part 5

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amgard posted:

For those who read ch108

This chapter is fake as gently caress. Araki is trying to trick you. Nothing you saw happened. gently caress this fake rear end lie.

I dunno it seems real to me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Did Karera ever come back?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

multijoe posted:

Did Karera ever come back?

She and Fugo are hanging out

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i don't think jojolion is over. gappy appeared seemingly out of nowhere to finish the big bad, which is jarring as hell. I think tsurigi's stand is going into overdrive and what we're looking at right now isn't real, much like how that one guy got hit by bus thanks to tsurigi's previous stand power

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Condiv posted:

i don't think jojolion is over. gappy appeared seemingly out of nowhere to finish the big bad, which is jarring as hell. I think tsurigi's stand is going into overdrive and what we're looking at right now isn't real, much like how that one guy got hit by bus thanks to tsurigi's previous stand power

I hope this is true but it also sounds like hoping against hope

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ah yes paper moon king requiem it's time for gappy to take the arrow from the stand

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think there would be more chance of a fakeout if there wasn't the kind of background narration going on summing up some of the themes of the part

just let it go. if it somehow happens even still then whatever, sure, but imo it would be weird to be in denial about it as a base

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

We're definitely in the end of the part, but I don't think it's gonna be as sudden as next month being the end. I'd say we're probably gonna see out the rest of the year.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
For ostensibly being about the Higashikata family and their curse, I... sure didn't care for them much in the end. Like, some of them are cool sure, but it always felt like we were one step removed from them the whole time - even though Josuke was adopted has he really spent much time with the family? Maybe it's because the trio of Josuke+Yasuho+Rai doesn't involve them.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't even feel like the Part was about the Higashikatas, they're just the side characters whose story moves the plot. the Part reads as being much more about Kira and the relationships he made building into being reborn to solve the Rokakaka ring and rock humans problem

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think there would be more chance of a fakeout if there wasn't the kind of background narration going on summing up some of the themes of the part

just let it go. if it somehow happens even still then whatever, sure, but imo it would be weird to be in denial about it as a base

Isn’t the narrator yasuho?

Something that’s weird to me is right after tsurigi is saying his dad didn’t burn grandpa too bad, the calamity attacks the grandpa..

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you're acting like this part is far more tightly plotted than it actually is. it ending now is in line with how the rest of part 8 has gone

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Yasuho, Rai's dead BTW."

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Yasuho saying "This has truly been... a Jojolion" makes it seem like it's pretty close to the end. I wouldn't rule out something like a denouement piece though

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The camera is going to pull back and this has all actually been a bedtime story that Joseph has been telling the invisible baby, the true forgotten Joestar.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJolion's peaks are up there with some of the very best JoJo. Its troughs are definitely down there with some of the worst JoJo.

Even on a re-read, it's going to come across as scatter shot with its plot and very much a case of "'I'm going to draw for 10 years and have a very vague and loose overarching theme that doesn't matter much, it's mostly just gonna be dudes fighting for fruits".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I haven't touched the series cause the idea of waiting for a mystery written by Araki to be released monthly sounded like asking for pain. It seems like it's wrapping up though, so I might dive in soon. From how people are reacting I am tempering my expectations on the mystery aspect (which I already did because of this series), but otherwise it sounds pretty enjoyable.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
jojolion is araki trying to give jojo more plot than usual but it's not really good at that part of it, otherwise it's pretty cool though

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It did quietly have some of the best Monster Of The Week stuff Araki ever wrote too, like Vitamin C and Born This Way.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This doesn't feel like an ending to the part, but if nothing else, Tooru finally getting smoked was pretty satisfying.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

lih posted:

jojolion is araki trying to give jojo more plot than usual but it's not really good at that part of it, otherwise it's pretty cool though

it kind of felt like maybe trying to make something like part 7 but with a bigger crew and then didn't seem completely sure at times what it wanted to do with who.

but also i'll say that a lot of chapters individually made me laugh or landed otherwise, and the art overall has been gorgeous. i do think it will stand up much better on a reread when it can just all be considered at its own pace, and even if the fighting was weak in the latest arc being able to breeze thru the worst of it will absolutely take the sting off lol

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there is no price too high for Shakedown Road

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I feel part 8 is gonna land in the upper half of parts, because when it's good, it's fantastic, and a lot of the problems are pacing related, which is always helped by being able to read the whole thing together.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

JoJolion's peaks are up there with some of the very best JoJo. Its troughs are definitely down there with some of the worst JoJo.
i can remember the damo fight, that was fun. the rest of it has been pretty unmemorable which is worse than being bad

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Relin posted:

i can remember the damo fight, that was fun. the rest of it has been pretty unmemorable which is worse than being bad

It's felt kind of halfassed plot-wise since Damo died really

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno it seems real to me.

You're like Yasuho and you implicitly trust the sneaky little poo poo no matter what he tells you.

Even when he's repeatedly shown he uses Paper moon king to gently caress with our perception of events before later reconstituting them. Which was a think the Flashforward set up.

Araki is remembering so hard rn.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

this is absolutely a mass time illusion or something

araki would never - would never - have the final boss have such a simple power as wonder of u

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Suddenly next chapter Diogo raises out of the ground near the Wall Eyes with his stand Scary World and its power to change time to the Jurassic period for 5 seconds.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I'm hoping that Tsurugi somehow got partially fused with Jesus because then his evolved Stand could be named King of Kings. There's at least one song with that title :v:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

actually next chapter my oc comes in and beats that loser josuke up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Amgard posted:

You're like Yasuho and you implicitly trust the sneaky little poo poo no matter what he tells you.

Even when he's repeatedly shown he uses Paper moon king to gently caress with our perception of events before later reconstituting them. Which was a think the Flashforward set up.

Araki is remembering so hard rn.

During the early parts of Wonder of U, Tsurugi uses PMK to make it look like Jobin and Tsurugi were dying horribly of massive blood loss, instead of a few glass splinters.

I think it's going to turn out to be either Norisuke or Jobin is flat out dead and the other one is barely grasping to life, and Tsurugi is going to try to fuse the two. We combine King Nothing and Speed King and get King Crimson Red-Hot King in the Higashikata Court.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure Manga Thread - Red-Hot King in the Higashikata Court.
Oh gently caress new thread title

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually josuke has been in a coma this entire time

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Whole lotta denial going on in this thread

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can paper moon king work on the manga itself and make us think we're looking at one thing when in reality something else has been happening the entire time and we couldn't see past the illusion of the manga itself

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Milagro Man should have saved the day against Tooru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Whole lotta denial going on in this thread

I don't know what the coming updates will bring. But If Araki leaves all these threads he set up himself before the stupid countdown timer started unresolved. I'm going to dump Jojolion behind Golden Wind on principle :colbert:
I think this arc has some fantastic moments, like a lot of people I hole Vitamin C in high regard and Damo was a better villain than Tooru for what it's worth. But holy crap was Wonder of U a shite arc even on the re-read