Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

On one of my readthroughs I just binged the entirety of Water 7 - Timeskip overnight. I should've stopped earlier but I couldn't stop reading. Sucks that this incredible manga is so much fun to read.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

it's dauntingly long so i keep telling people it's great and they go "i'd like to read it but i don't have that much commitment to anything"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If they've made it through Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or House or anything similar then they are loving liars and should just start reading One Piece, which is superior to all of those things.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

this was the fight I hit when I was randomly poking at the giant monolith that is the one piece archive to see if I wanted to make the time investment to read the whole thing

what an outstanding first impression

e: also spicy take: zoro's pre-timeskip outfit is better, i will not be accepting questions at this time

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
God I love gumby giraffe man. Somehow one of the most daunting foes Zoro’s fought and iirc the longest fight he had, and still, you know, a freaking gumby giraffe that uses his honed martial arts skills to contort himself in the stupidest ways possible.

Speaking of, huh, how the gently caress does Paper Art let Kaku/Lucci convert themselves into more efficient fighting forms? I wonder if Gear 4 is technically Luffy using Paper Art since he has three versions...

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I always found it impressive how well Kaku used his devil fruit after having it for only a couple days at most. Imagine the things he's discovered about it over the timeskip.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm about halfway through Naruto now and it's exposition and shonen power creeps aren't handled half as well as One Piece

It felt natural for this crew that went out to sea with no real knowledge to need to be taught all about haki

But why isn't part of ninja academy finding out what element the rookies are? Why is that a thing that waited until after the time skip before Kakashi goes "oh hey Naruto, what element are you?" They're literally students at ninja highschool

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If they've made it through Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or House or anything similar then they are loving liars and should just start reading One Piece, which is superior to all of those things.

right like i always try to impress on ppl that one piece is largely pretty light reading, and even early on the art is much less dense. ppl shy away bc of Large Number but like, it doesn't take an hour to read a chapter lol.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Death Bot posted:

right like i always try to impress on ppl that one piece is largely pretty light reading, and even early on the art is much less dense. ppl shy away bc of Large Number but like, it doesn't take an hour to read a chapter lol.

I honestly feel like part of it is the black and white format. I know people that keep up and follow Xmen and/or Batman comics, but those are flashy and colorful and OP is not

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

my parents boyfriend posted:

I always found it impressive how well Kaku used his devil fruit after having it for only a couple days at most. Imagine the things he's discovered about it over the timeskip.

I think he only had it a day.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

my parents boyfriend posted:

Also how startlingly powerful and versatile turning into a giraffe is, at first glance it seems like it would be one of the most useless transformations

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yinlock posted:

Also how startlingly powerful and versatile turning into a giraffe is, at first glance it seems like it would be one of the most useless transformations

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Yinlock posted:

Look up giraffes fighting on YouTube

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah kakus "oh im a giraffe, so giraffes must unquestionably be the greatest" energy rules

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dude loves giraffes, I can respect that

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Yinlock posted:

Idk, giraffes are definitely one of the sillier looking animals around but turning into a dumb looking horse is still an fairly destructive dangerous creature, although I had no idea they were so dangerous even apex predators don’t try picking fights with them at first.

Larryb posted:

Dude loves giraffes, I can respect that

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PwEdX6N_Gu0

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Cutting away from the Zoro Vs. Kaku fight just before he reveals his devil fruit, and then a giraffe falling through the ceiling in the middle of Sogeking Vs. Jabra fight, is still one of the best gags in One Piece.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Reading is much more demanding of your focus compared to shows like house that you can just have on in the background

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Len posted:

I'm about halfway through Naruto now and it's exposition and shonen power creeps aren't handled half as well as One Piece

It felt natural for this crew that went out to sea with no real knowledge to need to be taught all about haki

But why isn't part of ninja academy finding out what element the rookies are? Why is that a thing that waited until after the time skip before Kakashi goes "oh hey Naruto, what element are you?" They're literally students at ninja highschool

The implication is that a lot of exposition is things that were in fact taught in class; it's just that Naruto wasn't paying attention (and neither were Kiba and Choji).

Although the specific case of element testing is a bit odd. Maybe the element-testing paper is a recent invention? Or maybe it only works for people who have achieved a certain level of chakra control?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 20, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Aurora posted:

it will be revealed that yamato is actually genbu zoan in true one piece fashion

yamato....invincible!!

He's made of turtle meat!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I still mostly love Naruto but the real reason the people chakra testing leaf wasn't part of ninja academy training is that nen wasn't introduced until after Naruto graduated so he couldn't steal the idea.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
The easier and probably correct answer is that Kishimoto made it up on the fly like most everything else in the story, without thinking of implications like why the hell would any classroom not start with that basic test.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Asuron posted:

The easier and probably correct answer is that Kishimoto made it up on the fly like most everything else in the story, without thinking of implications like why the hell would any classroom not start with that basic test.

As the entry exam into ninja junior high you need to be able to create a complex illusion that’s a perfect clone of yourself, if it looks too different you fail and get mercilessly teased.

As a supplemental course Kakashi teaches Naruto and Sasuke basic chakra control.

This strikes me as making someone turn in a 10 page cited essay before teaching them the alphabet.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Naruto spends 3 years with a world class ninja and teacher and the only new technique he comes back after the timeskip with is bigger rasengan

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Kild posted:

Naruto spends 3 years with a world class ninja and teacher and the only new technique he comes back after the timeskip with is bigger rasengan

Ah, you mean THAT jutsu

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Remember how he not only didn't learn his element for several years, but also only learns at the same time that his clones transfer any knowledge they learn back to him upon evaporating, didn't realise before, and Kakashi just didn't bother to tell him.

Naruto is kind of fun, but in hindsight it is an absolute mess, even before the war arc goes off the rails.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I’m half a beginner to one piece. I’ve tried to get into the one piece anime several times, was familliar with all the crew mates before robin from childhood and knew a bit of the backstory from reading the wiki entries. Tried the manga from the entrance to the grand line after lurking this thread a bit and holy poo poo it’s great and so much better. At the climax to drum island now and choppers flashback made me cry pretty bad even though I knew it already. And how it’s inserted directly in the middle of a punch so when you come back 39 pages later and it lands it’s the most satisfying punch ever is masterful planning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Remember how he not only didn't learn his element for several years, but also only learns at the same time that his clones transfer any knowledge they learn back to him upon evaporating, didn't realise before, and Kakashi just didn't bother to tell him.

Naruto is kind of fun, but in hindsight it is an absolute mess, even before the war arc goes off the rails.

The stuff pre-time skip seemed more thought out. Then it's three years later and oh poo poo let's throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kild posted:

IIRC, he learns two techniques: the bigger Rasengan and the all-important Genjutsu Cancel. And tapping into more of Kurama's chakra, if you count that as a technique.

I rationalize that his training with Jiraiya was primarily mental and physical rather than directly involving ninjutsu. Naruto with his mentality at age 12 could never have mastered Sage Mode, after all.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I’m half a beginner to one piece. I’ve tried to get into the one piece anime several times, was familliar with all the crew mates before robin from childhood and knew a bit of the backstory from reading the wiki entries. Tried the manga from the entrance to the grand line after lurking this thread a bit and holy poo poo it’s great and so much better. At the climax to drum island now and choppers flashback made me cry pretty bad even though I knew it already. And how it’s inserted directly in the middle of a punch so when you come back 39 pages later and it lands it’s the most satisfying punch ever is masterful planning.

Yeah, Chopper's flashback is still one of my favorites, it's so perfectly tragic.

Please continue posting reactions if you want to, it's always fun to see what people thing of the series! it really just keeps getting better for a long time after they get to the Grand Line, you're in for a wild ride :allears:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

As the entry exam into ninja junior high you need to be able to create a complex illusion that’s a perfect clone of yourself, if it looks too different you fail and get mercilessly teased.

As a supplemental course Kakashi teaches Naruto and Sasuke basic chakra control.

This strikes me as making someone turn in a 10 page cited essay before teaching them the alphabet.

At least with that my understanding is that you can make a Clone (not shadow clone) just fine even as a basic scrub unless you’re a talentless nothing like Naruto, it’ll just cost 70 MP when if you’re controlling your chakra it should only cost like 5 MP. Given that, you know, Kishimoto put the most thought into early Naruto and it’s only later that he starts rapidly scrambling to meet his deadlines while his mediocre editors just kinda shrug.

Speaking of, since someone brought up the Rasengan it always seemed really dumb that Naruto’s teacher decided he should make his ultimate move Jajanken and not just spec in taijutsu since it works better with his signature technique of making an army of doppelgängers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Guy A. Person posted:

The chakra testing leaf comes later because elemental mastery is super goddamned hard. Sasuke took a long time to get an acceptable fireball and it burnt his hands and lips until he got it right. The school has civilian-born and ninja-born children and it kind of needs to cater towards that broad mix. People with clans or ninja parents will get training outside, but the basic academy is mostly training spies. Hence, clones, transformation, swap are the three requirements. Plus hand to hand skills, weapon throwing and whatever the actual knowledge portion of the exam involves. That’s a lot for 13-14 year olds to know, plus any normal mathematics/language courses they have to take.

Also tree walking and water walking are not basic chakra control, they’re actually pretty advanced chakra control in terms of difficulty, it’s just that they’re foundational to further learning. Plus Kakashi is actually just kind of a lovely teacher in general unless he really tries (Chidori for Sasuke). Partially because he’s always been an absurd prodigy who things came naturally to.

Sorry for the derail but it’s pretty clear that Naruto’s training is non-standard to begin with, and the way the ninja school works makes sense contextually. Especially because Naruto has a legitimately unique problem with chakra control, which is that he has way too loving much, and the seal pulses irregularly with his emotions. So his standard clones come out poo poo because he tries way too hard to put as little chakra as possible into them. Whereas Shadow Clones work fine because they eat as much Chakra as they can (this is why it’s forbidden, using the thousand clone version can kill people from chakra drain). Sasuke can use three Chidori a day to begin with, Naruto has no limit on the more powerful and more chakra hungry Rasengan because he has infinite chakra pretty much.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

The chakra testing leaf comes later because elemental mastery is super goddamned hard. Sasuke took a long time to get an acceptable fireball and it burnt his hands and lips until he got it right. The school has civilian-born and ninja-born children and it kind of needs to cater towards that broad mix. People with clans or ninja parents will get training outside, but the basic academy is mostly training spies. Hence, clones, transformation, swap are the three requirements. Plus hand to hand skills, weapon throwing and whatever the actual knowledge portion of the exam involves. That’s a lot for 13-14 year olds to know, plus any normal mathematics/language courses they have to take.

Also tree walking and water walking are not basic chakra control, they’re actually pretty advanced chakra control in terms of difficulty, it’s just that they’re foundational to further learning. Plus Kakashi is actually just kind of a lovely teacher in general unless he really tries (Chidori for Sasuke). Partially because he’s always been an absurd prodigy who things came naturally to.

Sorry for the derail but it’s pretty clear that Naruto’s training is non-standard to begin with, and the way the ninja school works makes sense contextually. Especially because Naruto has a legitimately unique problem with chakra control, which is that he has way too loving much, and the seal pulses irregularly with his emotions. So his standard clones come out poo poo because he tries way too hard to put as little chakra as possible into them. Whereas Shadow Clones work fine because they eat as much Chakra as they can (this is why it’s forbidden, using the thousand clone version can kill people from chakra drain). Sasuke can use three Chidori a day to begin with, Naruto has no limit on the more powerful and more chakra hungry Rasengan because he has infinite chakra pretty much.

I would add that elemental techniques (not counting weird forms of Yin Release as "elemental") seemingly aren't used much by many Leaf clans, presumably because it's hard enough to master the clan-specific techniques they have a comparative advantage in. Elemental techniques probably play a bigger role in basic training in Mist, Cloud, and Stone. Naruto and Sakura were the only members of the Rookie 9 who would have benefitted from learning elemental stuff; Sasuke was learning it at home, and it would have been a distraction for everyone else.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 21, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Silver2195 posted:

I would add that elemental techniques (not counting weird forms of Yin Release as "elemental") seemingly aren't used much by many Leaf clans, presumably because it's hard enough to master the clan-specific techniques they have a comparative advantage in. Elemental techniques probably play a bigger role in basic training in Mist, Cloud, and Stone. Naruto and Sakura were the only members of the Rookie 9 who would have benefitted from learning elemental stuff; Sasuke was learning it at home, and it would have been a distraction for everyone else.

Indeed, the hidden mist jutsu is called out as a requirement of every hidden mist ninja for example. Naruto would have benefitted from literally any hands on direct teaching, seeing as his problem is one that should be obvious to any sensor worth their salt, but the secrecy of the Kyuubi and such makes that awkward to do.

To turn this into One Piece discussion. Every Marine doesn’t get thought the Six techniques, they’re given basic training in swords and guns, maybe if they’ve got a pre built fruit they get support towards that, and if they have family in the Marines they probably get more advanced training quicker. But it’s the same deal, the Marines could train every member in some of the six techniques, but don’t because that’s not a needed or reasonable requirement for joining the lowest ranks of their organisation.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kild posted:

to be fair they specify that the fourth created the rasengan specifically as a "if I master this I won't even need anything else" and then naruto demonstrates why that's the case for the rest of the series

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

Indeed, the hidden mist jutsu is called out as a requirement of every hidden mist ninja for example. Naruto would have benefitted from literally any hands on direct teaching, seeing as his problem is one that should be obvious to any sensor worth their salt, but the secrecy of the Kyuubi and such makes that awkward to do.

To turn this into One Piece discussion. Every Marine doesn’t get thought the Six techniques, they’re given basic training in swords and guns, maybe if they’ve got a pre built fruit they get support towards that, and if they have family in the Marines they probably get more advanced training quicker. But it’s the same deal, the Marines could train every member in some of the six techniques, but don’t because that’s not a needed or reasonable requirement for joining the lowest ranks of their organisation.

Plus the average marine is 400 times weaker then Rob Lucci was during Enies lobby in his basic state. And apparently you need to be 50 times as strong as a normal marine to qualify as super human.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

IIRC, he learns two techniques: the bigger Rasengan and the all-important Genjutsu Cancel. And tapping into more of Kurama's chakra, if you count that as a technique.

I rationalize that his training with Jiraiya was primarily mental and physical rather than directly involving ninjutsu. Naruto with his mentality at age 12 could never have mastered Sage Mode, after all.

Naruto uses less clones far more effectively after the timeskip, so I imagine that half of his training was learning to fight properly instead of tossing clones at the problem.

I'm quite excited to read the later chapters again, things like the rasenshuriken, sage mode, Naruto Vs Pain, were all sick as gently caress, even if some of the reveals don't make sense chronologically.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the best part of Naruto is the Third vs Orochimaru. It's so original and sad. In general it has some great individual scenes/chapters, but the bigger narrative ends up being pretty weak.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey y'all, Pirate Warriors 3 and 4 are on sale on Steam and I recall a bunch of people saying good things about the games. I should be buying 4, right?

Do I buy the Deluxe Pack or the Normal?