Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
don't pretend like you didn't know before the video began

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Dolphin posted:

what if they're not alien spacecraft and actually just the aliens and they just evolved the ability to be ufos

has anyone considered that extremely dumb idea

what if they are tiny? like a single ufo is actually one of their battlecruisers filled with hundreds of tiny beings

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye posted:

don't pretend like you didn't know before the video began

i love her

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CODChimera posted:

what if they are tiny? like a single ufo is actually one of their battlecruisers filled with hundreds of tiny beings
is such a thing even possible?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

CODChimera posted:

then the probin' ought to be interesting :getin:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Delta-Wye posted:

i asked my old man when i called him today about all the ufo stuff in the news.

"who cares, old news. we used to see ufos all the time, they were really common. it was the 70s." no extra info, that was enough explanation for the understanding. he just changed the subject and we were off to other things.

just completely 100% unfazed lmao

Knowing about UFOs doesn't change anything about the lived experience of the world, so why even care? Just yell at them to take a picture 'cuz it'll last longer.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Ay SPACEMAN I got a probe for ya RIGHT HERE

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Occam's Razer for decades of documented sightings is aliens

prove me wrong

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

So they are here. But that shouldn't elect as much as a whoa because almost everybody else is too.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/157/S157728.html posted:

Occurred : 7/18/2020 23:15 (Entered as : 7/18/2020 23:15)

Very bright light.

My wife and I were out in our back yard taking pics of comet Neowise. She had gone to sit down. I noticed a bright light with what appeared to be a light bluish beam far off to the west. I went back and got the camera from my wife and started filming as it began to pass over the area. She did not see it due to where she was sitting. I had gone further into the back yard away from the trees so I could get a better view. It seemed about 1500 feet up traveling from west to east, there was no noise coming from it at all. It was as bright as burning magnesium but with what seemed to be a bluish tint. There were no blinking lights like normal aircraft. I have been an amateur astronomer for about 35 years and have never seen anything like this before.

I can give a copy of the video but my internet is very slow.
https://filedn.com/lA1dAM6GJzOy8eCDm2eVX88/uap/NUFORC_S157728.mp4

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

we'll probably never know what's going on

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CODChimera posted:

And their name? Covid-19

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Let's go monday drop come on monday drop

this is going to be a long week for so many reasons let's get this fucker out of the way

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

That looks like a generated lens flare.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

moon orb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNVY7Tcpi7I

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Probabkly just one of those moon birds
or moon... plasma.. spheres

gently caress what is that

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

UnknownTarget posted:

That looks like a generated lens flare.

Generated by moon men!!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Probabkly just one of those moon birds
or moon... plasma.. spheres

gently caress what is that

a tiny bug crawling around on the telescope lens

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

isn't that a series of lenses though?

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

isn't that a series of lenses though?

Look, what’s more likely a cadre of bugs moving in perfect unison on a series of lenses so as to create a single defined object in the image or my Dick spontaneously flying to the moon and rotating at such a high rpm as to cast a solid shadow? These are the only two possibilities and as my Dick hasn’t filed any flight plans for that week we need to be on the lookout for possibly sentient swarm of bugs looking to fool us.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

mastershakeman posted:

ironic that it being aliens is more likely than this

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/maybe-the-aliens-really-are-here/

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's making just a ton of assumptions about civilizations and life in general but it's also like the safest shot to call at this point so you may as well make it and look like a visionary if you come close to being right

It's guaranteed speaking gigs until the end of time

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

i was just surprised to see it on scientific american

they don't really do fun or what if speculative articles

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tekne posted:

Good point
I guess it is very easy to take for granted that those of us who have been drinking this news down for weeks/months/years are a bit desensitized to "there are alien probes" being taken as a given/starting point

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/ProfAbelMendez/status/1406945087603494912

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tekne posted:

uh the other article in the most recent articles list is about what if we speculate about changing the earths orbit for fun

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Philosophically speaking, is it worse if we detect what is almost certainly an alien civilization but never learn anything more than that they use radar or release cfcs, or if we never find evidence of another civilization at all?

I think both would make me equally unsatisfied and drive me equal amounts of crazy.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Philosophically speaking, is it worse if we detect what is almost certainly an alien civilization but never learn anything more than that they use radar or release cfcs, or if we never find evidence of another civilization at all?

I think both would make me equally unsatisfied and drive me equal amounts of crazy.

the certainty of other life ought to ostensibly serve as a catalyst for our species to refocus itself on space exploration as our ultimate goal

because we'll be damned if there's habitable land/people not being exploited by the yoke of capital

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

the certainty of other life ought to ostensibly serve as a catalyst for our species to refocus itself on space exploration as our ultimate goal

because we'll be damned if there's habitable land/people not being exploited by the yoke of capital

They're going to be 37,000 light years away or something. That's almost a certainty.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

that's what the warp drive is for duh

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

truly ground breaking opinion. although, from what i've read and i could be wrong, it actually was until maybe the early 1980s when the taboo against saying so was lifted in academic circles. i'm unsure why saying aliens probaby exist far away toggled to OK at that time but all sources/books i've read seem to say so. before then, it was thought about/talked about a little but was still a fringe opinion. so that was 30/40 years ago now. perhaps we are time for another sea change and that's why its now becoming OK all of a sudden to say UFOs are probably alien robot probes and they are here. although, i feel something else has shifted that we aren't privy too. i think the supposed increase in UAP activity is one reason - but it still feels like we're missing something.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

alien disclosure is not only real but being brought to us by a guy who looks like the sheriff of flavor town

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Wheeee posted:

alien disclosure is not only real but being brought to us by a guy who looks like the sheriff of flavor town

So close, yet you never ask “on what planet/which dimension does flavor town reside?” Can’t say that I’ve ever heard of a flavortown USA

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wheeee posted:

we live in the dumbest possible timeline so yeah this tracks

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is this really newsworthy? We've been finding exoplanets for 20 years.

Stop spoonfeeding this poo poo to the general populace of babies and rip that bandaid off!!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

lol if you think the crack pinged denizens of cspam are anything near representative of the broader populace, most people have ideological blinders that make UAPs not look like anything to them

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lampsacus posted:

truly ground breaking opinion. although, from what i've read and i could be wrong, it actually was until maybe the early 1980s when the taboo against saying so was lifted in academic circles. i'm unsure why saying aliens probaby exist far away toggled to OK at that time but all sources/books i've read seem to say so. before then, it was thought about/talked about a little but was still a fringe opinion. so that was 30/40 years ago now. perhaps we are time for another sea change and that's why its now becoming OK all of a sudden to say UFOs are probably alien robot probes and they are here. although, i feel something else has shifted that we aren't privy too. i think the supposed increase in UAP activity is one reason - but it still feels like we're missing something.

It seems kinda crazy to me that as recently as the 80s saying "maybe intelligent life evolved at least one other time somewhere among the trillions of stars" would get you tagged as a whacko, even though I know the debate about extraterrestrial life has been ping-ponging back and forth over the last century or so

but then again I'm a broke brained poster not a big brained scientist