Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And I think we're talking vegetable garden here. That really limits what you can or should be using, and that's definitely not on the list of things you should be putting on plants you intend to eat.

I use something that is basically garlic extract (https://www.domyown.com/mosquito-barrier-p-3893.html) which works great on the types of mosquitos I have in my area (eastern PA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do I deal with plants that have PM on it?

Cut off foliage that is heavily affected if you can afford to do so.

Spray everything else with lime sulphur or another fungicide listed as effective against powdery mildew.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I maintain a couple of water pools filled with BTI, but it's not enough. The neighbors don't care enough to clean up their junk, and we're backed up against a dense forested creek area full of deer. Plenty of places to feed and breed.

Fans are too narrow. It's too hot and humid for permethrin clothes. Bug spray works but is gross and needs to be applied constantly. Those UV bug zappers just kill moths. I've accepted that summer is mostly off limits, but I come across new solutions sometimes and wonder if they'd work. A big thermacell might work on a still day, but it's not worth it if it's going to kill all the pollinators I've worked so hard to attract.

They have electric and propane powered mosquito traps. They emit CO2 to attract the mosquitos, suck them in, and catch them in a net where they die.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's too hot and humid for permethrin clothes.

Which ones have you tried? I might be able to recommend something more comfortable. I've found really good results in NC just using treated hats but feel free to PM me, I run a vector control textiles company.

Also those big propane traps are supposed to work well, I just wonder how expensive they are to feed.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

And I think we're talking vegetable garden here. That really limits what you can or should be using, and that's definitely not on the list of things you should be putting on plants you intend to eat.

I use something that is basically garlic extract (https://www.domyown.com/mosquito-barrier-p-3893.html) which works great on the types of mosquitos I have in my area (eastern PA).

OK this is interesting. It's really just our back patio and garden that I'm concerned about, and yeah it's full of vegetables. I may give this a shot.

FogHelmut posted:

They have electric and propane powered mosquito traps. They emit CO2 to attract the mosquitos, suck them in, and catch them in a net where they die.

I've looked at these. They seem promising. Too expensive though, I think.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mischief posted:

Which ones have you tried? I might be able to recommend something more comfortable. I've found really good results in NC just using treated hats but feel free to PM me, I run a vector control textiles company.

Also those big propane traps are supposed to work well, I just wonder how expensive they are to feed.

Haven't actually tried any. I assumed I needed full coverage. You can just wear a treated hat with regular shorts and tshirt?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've looked at these. They seem promising. Too expensive though, I think.

They are far from instant. They rely on breaking the breeding cycle to reduce the population, which may be hard if your near neighbors aren't doing anything at all.

They also like to clog up/stop working loving constantly in my experience.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Haven't actually tried any. I assumed I needed full coverage. You can just wear a treated hat with regular shorts and tshirt?

We've definitely proven a halo effect from treated garments. If the bite density is super high then maybe a synthetic long sleeve shirt with a hat would make a huge difference in the bite rate. I always recommend treated socks as well to help curb ticks.

There are also treatment options for your personal clothes. Get one of the inexpensive fishing shirts from Wrangler Outdoors or Hukt or the like and treat a hat and it's really pretty comfortable and effective. You don't need to go full beekeeper and you definitely don't need any heavy fabrics for it to work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Cut off foliage that is heavily affected if you can afford to do so.

Spray everything else with lime sulphur or another fungicide listed as effective against powdery mildew.

What if they're small plants and all the leaves on a specific plant have it?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

It's really best to pull the whole plant at that point and try to mitigate further spread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve never had a bad powdery mildew problem, so I can’t speak from experience.

If this is an outdoor plant and you have a decent nursery in the area, go there and ask them what’s appropriate for your climate.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Kin posted:

I'm looking for a bit of help diagnosing what's up with this plant, (the yellow withered bits basically).

There were a lot of slugs on them a week or two back in the middle of the plant and i assumed it was because of them. So i popped down slug repellant/killer (the little blue dots you can see on the ground) and that seemed to take care of them (haven't seen any slugs since).

However the middle of the plant doesn't seem to have recovered at all.

My lawn was reseeded last month too so the plant's been getting a daily dose of light watering (via a rotary sprinkler, on for 15 mins a pop) while i water the lawn. The plant itself was planted last October so it's been in there for a while and it seemed like it was growing fine up until a few weeks back when i noticed the yellow bits and the slugs.

I've a few more of these scattered around the garden too and they all seem to have similarish symptoms (the slugs were everywhere).

Also, the bed that it's in is a planter built on top of drainage so it's never really too wet in the soil.

Could it be over watering? The place where we bought the plants from said that it was a pretty hardy plant (aubrieta) that can survive in dry soil so i'm not sure what we're doing wrong.

It looks to me that the yellow parts are just dying from lack of sun/airflow due to being shaded by the top growth. If it's a perennial, cut back hard at the end of the season when it starts losing leaves and the growth next year should be healthier. If you don't, the bottom of the plant will become more woody and the overall shape will get leggier

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I ate the first cucumber from my garden today! :toot:

It's a type of pickling cucumber, and I've never grown those before, so I wasn't expecting to have to rub the spines off of it before I could eat it. But I do hope they keep the rest of the cukes safe from local critters.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DurianGray posted:

I ate the first cucumber from my garden today! :toot:

It's a type of pickling cucumber, and I've never grown those before, so I wasn't expecting to have to rub the spines off of it before I could eat it. But I do hope they keep the rest of the cukes safe from local critters.

I love eating those right off the vine!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I can't even think of eating an unpickled cucumber without burping reflexively.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Give me a pile of cucumbers and tell me to eat it and it won't be even remotely a punishment

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
gently caress man.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Jhet posted:

It sounds like your soil is a bit low on nutrients. Try some tomato fertilizer and regular watering. Tomatoes can grow great, but are particular about regularity of water, and really do well when you give them lots of nutrition. You may have to fertilize again in mid-July too if your soil is starting out low.

Excellent, thanks! I water them regularly because of the heat, but I don't often fertilize.

Paradoxish posted:

Vine borers aren't game over for squash if the plant is otherwise okay. Just dig the bastards out and then bury the stem. If you don't have good enough access to fish around in the stem but you have a good idea of where the little guys are, you can just stab the stem in a bunch of places until you're pretty sure they're dead. Zucchini are tough motherfuckers and will almost always be fine.

I wish I had pictures, but last year I had a gross as hell vine borer infestation that left one zucchini plant with its main stem just totally rotten and disgusting. I buried the damaged portion of the stem and the plant bounced back to more or less full health in a few weeks.

I'll trim out the yellowing/wilting bits and see if it does the trick. Thanks.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

niethan posted:

gently caress man.

Ok sorry for killing the slugs mother nature but gently caress you.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

please tell me that's not salt

e: oh it's ice lol

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

please tell me that's not salt

Salting the earth to spite the snails

E: oh I just realized that must be hail. That sucks :(

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah. Mother Nature dgaf.

Bummer about the hail, at least it’s early enough for some stuff to bounce back.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah I'm super glad I built a roof over the raised beds a couple days ago. gently caress. Let's see everything bounce back. Good roots. I'm eating unripe peppers tonight.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Organic Lube User posted:

I can't even think of eating an unpickled cucumber without burping reflexively.

Well, I now know why some cucumber varieties are called 'burpless'! I had no idea that was apparently a pretty common side effect of eating cucumbers for some folks.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

DurianGray posted:

Well, I now know why some cucumber varieties are called 'burpless'! I had no idea that was apparently a pretty common side effect of eating cucumbers for some folks.

The burps are just the beginning for me, sadly. The gassy fun continues all the way through to the noisy end.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
i have a buncha stuff going or trying to start right now, arugula is doing well as is the spinach but the kale is being weird. do we link instagrams on here? mine is just plants, animals, landscape, stuff

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Organic Lube User posted:

The burps are just the beginning for me, sadly. The gassy fun continues all the way through to the noisy end.

-says Organic Lube User

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Welp, just spotted my first cucumber beetle of the season. Time to nuke my entire garden from orbit and be done with it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I can't find any pests on my outside peppers but there are ants marching up and down the stem. Am I just not looking hard enough?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Sounds like they’re taking care of it.
That reminds me one year I had a big clutch of assassin beetles decide to make one of my bell peppers they’re home and they’d just sit there keeping them clean and drinking the pepper juice on the shady side of it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

poverty goat posted:

I can't find any pests on my outside peppers but there are ants marching up and down the stem. Am I just not looking hard enough?

Get a hose and spray them off. You don’t want ants marching on your peppers. Then keep spraying them off and grab some neem for the base of the stem. Aphids are hard to spot before they hatch and get annoying.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Any idea why my new raspberry canes are all doing this?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Any idea why my new raspberry canes are all doing this?

Too hot, not enough water, too much water... give us more details about your area.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Too hot, not enough water, too much water... give us more details about your area.

The weather has been all over the place. Had a heat wave for a while and recently it’s been about 50 degrees at night which is quite chilly for this time of year. Maybe it’s the temperature fluctuation?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

poverty goat posted:

Could be a sign that you've got aphids or it could mean nothing. I rarely get aphids on plants in my garden, but I have tons of ants and it's hard for me to find any plants without them.

fwiw I've never had good luck using neem oil with ants, but I've had reasonable success protecting plants with insecticidal soap or diatomaceous earth around the base of the stems. I'm generally not a huge fan of DE because I haven't had much success with it for most pests, but I managed to exclude ants from an entire bed once by consistently using it around the perimeter so I dunno.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What was the homebrew solution to slugs? We think slugs are eating our kale/lettuce/etc

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
a bowl full of cheap beer

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I know everyone says to do it, but seriously don't make beer traps. You're going to risk attracting even more slugs to your garden and it's messy and kind of gross. It's also really hard to make traps that slugs actually can't get out of again, which is why you get people burying whole beer bottles up to the lip in their beds. Just get something iron phosphate-based (I use Sluggo, but I can't imagine there's any difference between brands) and sprinkle it around the plants you're worried about. It'll actually solve the problem.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
This week I noticed aphids on two of my tomato plants and what I guess is powdery mildew on another - after I trimmed the worst leaves my hands had yellow powder on them like pollen.

I moved the diseased one away from the others (yay containers) onto the sunniest part of the roof. What if anything should I get to treat that, and also what should I do about aphids? All the ones I saw were on small branches, so I trimmed them off and flung them off the roof, but I'm sure they'll be back.

Long beans have really taken off though, first few sets of beans are growing now. I really have to thank this thread for selling me on them, I'm enjoying watching them. I've never grown any kind of bean before and it's amazing to see how fast they grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I know everyone says to do it, but seriously don't make beer traps. You're going to risk attracting even more slugs to your garden and it's messy and kind of gross. It's also really hard to make traps that slugs actually can't get out of again, which is why you get people burying whole beer bottles up to the lip in their beds. Just get something iron phosphate-based (I use Sluggo, but I can't imagine there's any difference between brands) and sprinkle it around the plants you're worried about. It'll actually solve the problem.

The GF actually sprinkled some diatomaceous earth around all the plants, or do you have to use sluggo-style stuff?